PDA

View Full Version : Separate Worlds?

Rod Stafford
Apr 7th, 2006, 03:46:41 PM
I'm very interested in roleplaying a mage. As it is, it seems there is interest mainly in the vampire and werewolf elements from the World of Darkness and as such, I would find it difficult to find people to roleplay with if the worlds of vampires, werewolves, changlings and mages are kept separate.

How does roleplaying in the World of Darkness work with regards to this? Will mages be able to exist in the same world as vampires and/or werewolves? Do werewolves and vampires exist in the same worlds?

As I understand it, strictly speaking, the worlds are vastly different; particularly with the Technocracy dictating a great deal of things in the world of the mage. That said, post-Reckoning, neither the Traditions or Technocracy hold sway in the world, which would allow for a nice neutral entry point for mages in the World of Darkness here on the forums.

Is this feasible and how do people feel about mages in their World of Darkness?

Vega Van-Derveld
Apr 7th, 2006, 03:55:12 PM
The way we're playing at the minute, the characters all inhabit the same world, but it's unlikely that there will be much in the way of Kindred/Garou crossover - with the exception of large-scale events that are obviously unavoidably going to have a wider effect. At the minute I think we're just getting a feel for things, trying to flesh out characters and their surroundings a bit, before we drop in some meta-plot.

Speaking of post-Reckoning, I'm assuming you mean Mage the Awakening? At the minute we are playing with the 'old World of Darkness', so Masquerade not Requiem, Apocalypse not Forsaken, etc. I'm not sure what impact that has on Mage, though, with not having any experience with it myself.

Oh, and I popped this into the right forum for you ;)

Rod Stafford
Apr 7th, 2006, 04:04:25 PM
Gah, I'm all confused now.

Does The Masquerade take place at the same time as The Ascension? I was of the impression that Ascension was a modern day mage roleplay.

Is Reckoning a whole other period of time to Ascension? I just figured it was merely another segment of Ascension history. I think I'm confusing myself more than anything else.

I know the White Wolf vampire things inside out. I know nothing about werewolves or changlings but am educating myself on Mage:The Ascension and am finding it incredibly fascinating.

Ultimately, I'm just hoping I will be able to find people to roleplay with in the World of Darkness realm should I have a mage character.

Vega Van-Derveld
Apr 7th, 2006, 04:10:43 PM
Masquerade, Apocalypse, Ascension, Oblivion and Dreaming all take place at the same time. In the same world. They're all set in the modern day.

What's happened now is, White Wolf have decided to revise the whole WoD game system. They changed the rules around some, 'fixed things' and such. For example, there are only five vampire clans in Requiem; the tribes in Forsaken are largely different to those in Apocalypse.

Basically, it's like White Wolf decided to patch the WoD, and instead of playing with the new version - which none of us have any knowledge about - we're sticking with the old one.

Rod Stafford
Apr 7th, 2006, 04:14:36 PM
Ah, that's good. The pre-patch WoD is the only version with which I'm familiar.

Fiona Devlin
Apr 8th, 2006, 07:13:36 AM
Welcome to the Board. I'm playing an Immortal, ala Highlander, so there's certainly room for Mage characters in our Chronicle. I was going to play one, but I have two characters already.

Mandy with an I
Apr 8th, 2006, 04:10:00 PM
Which Mage rp is the old version - ascension or awakening?

I'm all for Mages being worked in, esp. if they can fit with the Immortal side of things. :)

Vega Van-Derveld
Apr 9th, 2006, 07:09:15 AM
Originally posted by Vega Van-Derveld
Masquerade, Apocalypse, Ascension, Oblivion and Dreaming all take place at the same time.

^ :)

Mandy with an I
Apr 9th, 2006, 09:01:08 AM
Speaking of post-Reckoning, I'm assuming you mean Mage the Awakening? At the minute we are playing with the 'old World of Darkness', so Masquerade not Requiem, Apocalypse not Forsaken, etc. I'm not sure what impact that has on Mage, though, with not having any experience with it myself.

That's why I was asking :)

Rod Stafford
Apr 11th, 2006, 01:00:13 PM
Another question, particularly to the Brits:

I'm delaying my character's first roleplay because I don't have a strong idea of mage's powers and abilities as determined within Mage: The Ascension. A few days ago, I went into town to buy the rulebook but to no avail. All the usual places either didn't have it or didn't do table-top roleplaying things anymore.

To all people: Do you know of any good websites which list the abilities of mages in The Ascension?

To Brits: Do you know of any reliable websites from which I can order a copy of the relevent version of Mage: The Ascension rulebook?

Fiona Devlin
Apr 11th, 2006, 01:04:08 PM
Some of us are looking for Mage stuff online, but no luck so far.

Vega Van-Derveld
Apr 11th, 2006, 01:16:27 PM
It looks like you can get the core rule book, second hand, on amazon:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1565044002/qid=1144782897/sr=1-4/ref=sr_1_2_4/026-2354864-4434822

Rod Stafford
Apr 11th, 2006, 01:25:49 PM
Thanks for pointing that out. It's ordered and should be here by the end of the week, hopefully. :D

Mandy with an I
Apr 11th, 2006, 01:28:30 PM
Dont know if you've seen this, but it's the WW site.

http://www.white-wolf.com/games/pages/MageHome.html

http://www.white-wolf.com/games/pages/MagePreview/virtualadepts.html

^ They would fit in well with Glasswalkers ^_^;

Rod Stafford
Apr 11th, 2006, 01:32:17 PM
Yeah, I think I 've read almost all of that site but didn't get a strong impression of what exactly mages can/can't do.

Mandy with an I
Apr 11th, 2006, 02:32:44 PM
It would help if they had a quick start like the other books do :(