PDA

View Full Version : What Mystery's Lie in a Dead Man's Eyes

Crowley
Apr 7th, 2006, 11:17:54 AM
It was a mild January morning in Laguna Beach, California. The sun has just begun to creep above the horizon and while the residents of the city were still sleeping, the sound of sea birds echoed along the sandy stretch. One bird, however, did not make a sound. While the white gulls dipped lazily to and fro, it moved inland quickly and with purpose. Certainly if anyone had been awake to observe this bird, they would have thought it odd to see a raven arriving from the sea. In actual fact, it had come from Illinois, by way of the spirit world known as the Umbra, and had simply misjudged its destination and ended up a couple of miles too far east.

It wasn't often that Kristopher Crowley made cross-country trips through the Umbra on a whim – and this particular instance was no exception. His arrival in California had been prompted by the receipt of a message detailing a bizarre series of attacks in the Laguna Beach area. The victims had been brutally mauled, apparently by a wild animal of some kind – or at least that's what the news reports said. A quick search on the web had revealed some rather gruesome images of the bodies, with wounds that no normal animal could be responsible for. As Crowley soared high above the empty streets of Laguna, he couldn't help but feel anxious. Something was amiss and it seemed it would be down to him to find out what.

Penelope Lloyd-Fraser
Apr 9th, 2006, 11:56:05 AM
While the majority of Laguna Beach might have been asleep, there was at least one early bird up and about. Freshly woken by a hit or two of caffeine, Penny Lloyd-Fraser sat over the morning newspaper with a slice of toast in one hand and a steaming mug of coffee in the other. The front page had some story about some film festival, but that wasn't what Penny was interested in.

She flicked through the first couple of stories until she spotted the headline – 'Investigation Into Brutal Attack Continues'. A couple of days ago this had been the top story. Now the police were trying to keep things quiet, to avoid any 'unnecessary panic'. It wasn't the first instance of a hideously mutilated body turning up in Laguna and Penny had her suspicions that it wouldn't be the last.

Stifling a yawn with another bite of toast, she glanced up from the paper as she heard a fluttering at the kitchen window. With a smirk forming on her lips, she stood up from the table and pulled the window slightly ajar, just enough to let in the rather large black bird who had landed on the window sill. “Hello, stranger.”

Crowley
Apr 10th, 2006, 07:39:04 AM
The raven hopped from the sill onto the kitchen counter. The bird cocked its head left and right, eyeing the kitchen and adjoining room. They were empty. There was then a sound like a whole flock of birds taking off together. Where the bird had stood, now there sat a man.

“Good morning, Penny. What's for breakfast?”

The red-head held up a half-eaten piece of toast. “Sorry. We're all out of rotting carcass,” she quipped, smiling almost apologetically as she did so. Crowley rolled his eyes but took the joke in good nature. Without warning, he snatched the toast away from Penny and waggled it at her accusingly.

“You know, I had to postpone a meeting with an Immortal to be here,” he said in mock irritation, as he eased down from the counter.

“So let's get right down to business, shall we? I want you to tell me everything.”

Penelope Lloyd-Fraser
Apr 10th, 2006, 07:54:51 AM
“Just for a change, hmm?” Penny raised one eyebrow playfully, though she was half-serious. If there was one thing she had come to expect from a conversation with Crowley it was having him act like a one-man inquisition. She couldn't blame him, though. It was in his nature. Though she was still smiling, her tone took a turn for the serious. “Come on, then. This is one of those conversations that require sitting down.”

They pair took chairs at opposite sides of the table on which the morning paper was laid out. True to form, Crowley immediately seized it up, his eyes dancing over the relevant article. “... suspected to have been the work of a wild animal,” he read aloud, glancing incredulously at Penny over his dark glasses.

“There's no pattern. The victims are all locals to Laguna, but police reports don't identify any common thread. Usually I'd say that was a tell-tale sign of some supernatural involvement, but not even that adds up. It's too brutal for any of the local leeches, and none of the resident packs know anything about it. Everyone is totally stumped.”

Sighing, she leant back in her chair. “I think the coroners are still trying to figure things out, though. I tried to get in, to have a better look at the body for myself, but my student press pass can only get me so far, you know?”

Crowley
Apr 10th, 2006, 08:06:15 AM
Carefully folding the paper and setting it back down, Crowley smirked.

“I think I know where this is going... but please, carry on.”

Penelope Lloyd-Fraser
Apr 10th, 2006, 08:13:22 AM
“Let's face it- the coroners aren't going to find out what did all of this,” Penny said, leaning forward as she gestured to the paper.

“It's pretty obvious that the cause is something out of the realms of human understanding.”

“You need is a coroner outside of the realms of human understanding, then,” Crowley interjected.

“This is right up your alley, Crows... and there's no other way we can get to the bottom of this. Are you in?”

Crowley
Apr 10th, 2006, 11:32:16 AM
“Do I really have any choice in the matter?” Crowley shook his head and took solace in a bite of toast – which turned out to be cold. He frowned slightly and put it to one side, dusting some crumbs from his hands. “Just point me in the direction of the body.”

Penelope Lloyd-Fraser
Apr 11th, 2006, 05:14:40 AM
“The family had it moved to the O'Connor Mortuary in Laguna Hills. I guess they're going to have it cremated,” Penny gave a shrug.

“You better take this,” she added, as an afterthought, as she tore a piece from the newspaper. It was a photograph of the recently deceased.

Crowley
Apr 11th, 2006, 05:25:13 AM
Never a moments rest. It was hardly surprising that Crowley had so few real friendships. It seemed he was always coming or going, running an errand or doing a favour. Sometimes he wondered what it would have been like to 'settle down'. Luckily, the thought made his skin crawl.

“I'll be off then, shall I?” He deposited the newspaper scrap into his jacket and stood up, glancing briefly around the interior of Penny's apartment. He had visited many times but never really paid it any attention. This time was no different. He had other things on his mind.

“See you tonight, right, Crows?” Penny asked, interrupting his thoughts. “I'll leave the window open again... Good luck.”

Soundlessly, Crowley nodded and as quick as he had arrived, he vanished once more.

Crowley
Apr 19th, 2006, 04:29:39 AM
There was no rush to get to the funeral home. It was early hours yet and Crowley doubted that anyone would be up and about in the mortuary. In light of this, he opted to take a more scenic route to his destination, drifting here and there in the California skyline. The air was beginning to warm and a pleasant breeze ruffled through his feathers. It should have been a lovely day, if not for the grim task at hand.

When he felt that, at last, the time was right, the raven turned its course towards Laguna Hills. By now the denizens of the world were awake. The quiet that had presided over the calm morning was replaced by the sound of car engines, whirring and spluttering. From his vantage, Crowley watched the people – like ants – as they scurried about, all in such a hurry. They had their own problems to worry about, their own little dramas, trivial as they were.

A-ha. As his gaze roved over the scenery below, Crowley's keen eyes caught sight of the house to which he was heading. It was small and squat, with white walls and a terracotta roof. The garden was lined off with a little fence and in the centre of the turf there was a large sign planted. - O'Connor Family Mortuary. Crowley briefly pitied the children of the O'Connor family, born into such a grim legacy, but dismissed the thought as he made his descent.

Crowley made a point of landing a couple of houses down, in the shadow of a dumpster. The street was quiet but he spent a minute or so checking that it was completely empty, and he was not being watched, before he shook off his feathers and assumed human form. He made his way to the O'Connor house slowly, mentally composing himself for what he was about to do. Taking a deep breath, he rapped one hand on the front door and drew in a deep breath.

Crowley
May 4th, 2006, 06:25:13 AM
The sound of hushed voices could be heard from behind the door – someone shouting from one part of the house to another, and a second voice sounding in turn – and then the soft thump of footsteps. A young man, mid-twenties, opened the door and smiled, almost apologetically, at Crowley.

“Hello, sir,” he said, his voice soft and supplicating. His eyes moved surreptitiously over Crowley, noting the black clothing, that hallmark of someone in grieving, an attire he was all too accustomed to seeing. “Please, come in. How can I – we – help?”

The door closed behind Crowley as he was ushered carefully indoors. It had become habit now, for the O'Connors, to treat guests like fine china. They did not coddle their customers, but were gentle and respectful. John O'Connor, the man who had greeted Crowley at the door, was particular adept at this. He brought his latest potential customer to the front lounge, a modest sitting room that the family themselves rarely used for relaxation, but instead for conducting business.

Light filtered in through net curtains, but the room was still dark. Crowley studied the man sitting opposite him from behind his dark glasses. Perhaps the silence was misinterpreted as Crowley struggling to come to terms with the lie that he was about to tell. Rather than playing the emotional wreck card, he opted to be the strong silent type. As much as it pained him to keep his beak shut, he found the less he said the more O'Connor felt obliged to speak.

Consolidations quickly turned to business, as Crowley was shown an array of coffins and other funeral trappings, each more expensive than the last. This gave him a good opportunity to see the layout of the house. Upstairs was the family area, while the basement was were the less pleasant affairs were conducted, things that customers like Crowley would neither here of nor see.

“I know this must be a difficult time for your and your family, Mr. Crowley,” O'Connor sighed, “...so please, take all the time you need. Whenever you're ready, we'll be here to help.”

Penelope Lloyd-Fraser
Jun 16th, 2006, 09:24:06 AM
While Crowley got his talons dirty, Penny was busy cleaning up. It was frustrating, to feel like there was nothing she could currently do about he problem at hand, so she was venting her anger on her living space. Fortunately for the throw pillows she had been fluffing, another idea sprung to mind. She paced to the phone and dialled out. It rang and rang and Penny was almost ready to give up when a voice, sounding somewhat rushed and breathless, answered.

“Nara? ... It's Penny. Everything alright?”

Nara McKenna
Jun 16th, 2006, 02:47:32 PM
Nara could barely hear the woman on the other end. Esoterica was in the middle of sets and her boys, Ethan and Kevin, were dueling with their drums and guitar. It was hellish trying to hear anything on the cell phone. Thankfully, a little focus with her heightened senses made the words clearer.

"Penny!" She hadn't heard from that girl for months now. "Um, ya kinda caught me in the middle of sets."

Just then, Ethan tore into a loud rift that reverberated through the floor. "As if ya couldn't tell. Whassup?"

Penelope Lloyd-Fraser
Jun 18th, 2006, 01:48:24 PM
The crackle of the guitar through the phone line made Penny wince away from the receiver, before gingerly returning it to her ear. “Oh not much... hey, are you really busy right now? You know I could call you back... it's just that there's something totally fishy is going on with the local shape-changers. I could really use your help.”

Nara McKenna
Jun 18th, 2006, 07:43:26 PM
Now Kevin was starting up, trying to be louder on the drums then Ethan, which was much to the approval of the roaring crowd.

"Um, hang on." Nara worked her way to the backstage receiving door and went outside. There were a few servers outside taking a smoke break. She gave them a small acknowledgement and started walking down the ally for some privacy. "Of course I'll help. I keep my promises. Just that I'm in Los Angeles right now."

She checked the caller ID and didn't recognize the area code, "Where the hell are you at?"

Penelope Lloyd-Fraser
Jun 20th, 2006, 02:40:19 AM
“Laguna Beach, you goof,” Penny smiled to herself. Nara wasn't too far away, that was good.

“So what do you say – can you take a break out of your hectic rock star schedule to do some snooping for Gaia?”

Nara McKenna
Jun 20th, 2006, 04:38:56 PM
"Hey, my life is crazy but I love it," she chuckled, "but Gaia comes first. Always. I'll see what I can do about wrapping things up here soon. The band can take care of things while I'm away." Penny knew that all of Nara's bandmates were kin and were used to the Galliard leaving at the drop of a hat when a cousin or the family needed her.

The phone was snugly secure between her chin and shoulder as the Garou checked her watch. It was a little past 12pm. Esoterica was part of an all day fundraiser to raise money for cancer research. They were a small fish in a big lake compared to the other bands here, and she was a little upset that she wouldn't get to see Melissa Etheridge later, but duty called. "Um, probably be there close to one-thirty depending on the time I get on the road. Where we meeting at?"

Penelope Lloyd-Fraser
Jun 20th, 2006, 04:43:14 PM
“There's a little coffee pot on the shoreline that does the best organic food,” - Penny felt her stomach leap for joy at the very thought of it - “We can chill there for a while; I'll fill you in on everything we've got so far, then we can head back to my place in time for Crows getting back from his early-morning recon. Sound cool?”

Nara McKenna
Jun 20th, 2006, 04:48:14 PM
"Organic food?" Nara made a face and repeated herself, almost dropping the cell. "Organic food???"

Her stomach grumbled in protest.

Penelope Lloyd-Fraser
Jun 24th, 2006, 12:22:16 PM
“I'm sure we can find a greasy spoon nearby that will cater to your tastes,” Penny chided in reply. From the tone in her voice, it would have been easy to imagine her sticking her tongue out Nara down the line.

“Just meet me there, alright? We've got big business to talk.”

Nara McKenna
Jun 24th, 2006, 01:02:40 PM
"That sounds much better. See you soon, Pen." She flipped the cell off and slipped it inside her jacket.

As expected, the band took things in stride. Kevin was even offering his help to make sure the gear got the next club in short order. Probably had to do with the fact that they were playing another show in the LA area. Little work was required. Regardless, she left Ethan in charge.

Heading out, she remarked how typical a California afternoon it was. Clear skies, hot temperature and air filled with tons of crap. The smog had gotten better in recent years but it was still bad enough that Nara felt as if she was smoking a pack, no two packs, of cigarettes a day.

She quickly filled up her bike, a midnight blue Ninja ZX-6. That piece of beautiful metal was the second reason for her existence. The Galliard had made her own modifications over the last year since picking it up. She detailed the chassis herself, replacing the manufactured crap with her band name instead. The engine was tweaked to get more miles to the gallon and handle a cruise off the normal paved streets a bit better ... It was a dream to ride and was looking forward to the drive to Laguna Beach.

90 MINUTES LATER

The salty ocean air helped to cleanse her lungs of exhaust fumes as she rolled down the strip, looking for the join that Penny mentioned. Eventually she saw a sign for the Zinc cafe. That had to be it. Zinc equaled vitamins, which meant healthy crap.

She pulled into a free spot and removed her black helmet, securing it to her ride. The keys spun around her index finger before she caught them in her hand as she stepped inside. The Garou took a quick whiff of air to see if Penny was here and frowned. She was here but the food in this place smelled terrible. It smelled like a vegetable paradise with a side of slim fast. Blech.

The digust she felt inside was hidden as best as she could with an awkward sneer and a painful look in her eye. It basically looked as if the Garou was hit in the gut.

Penelope Lloyd-Fraser
Jun 24th, 2006, 05:23:57 PM
“Nara!” Penny's voice rose over the soft drone of music that was playing in the cafe. She was tucked away in a quiet corner, nursing a steaming cup of coffee. She smiled brightly as Nara approached, standing to embrace her.

“It's been too long!” she beamed, as she stood back to give her old friend a full appraisal. The look on Nara's face was priceless. Evidently she didn't share Penny's appreciation for all things organic.

“Come on, sit. I can't say how much I appreciate you coming out here, to help with this. Was your trip alright, by the way? Do you want some water or something?” She was fussing, and she knew it, but part of her wanted to forgo the ominous mission brief and find out just how Nara had been doing.

Nara McKenna
Jun 25th, 2006, 09:23:12 AM
"Whoa, Pen! Heh, definitely been way too long since we're seen each other." She chuckled at the rapid-fire questions and slide into the booth across from the Lupus.

"Lesee," Nara looked up as she rattled off the answers, making sure she didn't forget anything, "For you, anything. The trip was great. I'm glad ta be outta L.A. for a bit. Water sounds great."

She smiled after that. Penny remembered she hated coffee. "How have you been doing? Besides, you know, the obvious."

Penelope Lloyd-Fraser
Jun 25th, 2006, 10:07:53 AM
“I'm good! Things have been pretty quiet here lately. It's been nice to just be able to relax, spend some time down on the beach. Should have known that the calm wouldn't last long, though, eh?” Penny said, with a ruefully smile as she made a quick trip to the counter to pick up a pitcher of water and a couple of Nara-friendly snacks, just in case she fancied a nibble. She slid back into the booth they were sitting at, and continued: “You know, I really want to catch up and everything – I am dying to hear about all the gigging antics – but I think it's best if we get right onto the bad news. Is that cool with you?”

Nara McKenna
Jun 25th, 2006, 10:50:14 AM
She grabbed one of the snacks and narrowed her eyes. Granola bar? The Garou shrugged and ripped open the package. "Yeah it's cool. We'll have time to catch up later."

Nara smiled hoping that was true. Depending how long this took, she might have to beat feet it out of town quickly without getting a chance to spend time with her friend. She did have another gig after all. "What's so fishy going on down here that has ya worried?"

Penelope Lloyd-Fraser
Jun 26th, 2006, 04:50:21 AM
Penny lowered her voice and began to explain the gruesome situation at hand.

“There have been some really odd attacks recently. A couple of suburbanites got mauled by something... newspapers are saying an animal of some kind, but we don't have any local wildlife capable of something like this. It's totally obvious that there is something outside of the human scope of things that's responsible. I sent Crowley to get a closer look at one of the bodies, to see if he couldn't... you know...”

She gestured vaguely. The Corax had a way of appraising dead bodies that gave them a unique insight into the manner in which they had passed from the living world. It wasn't the most pleasant way of finding out information, but it was certainly the most accurate.

Nara McKenna
Jun 26th, 2006, 02:55:19 PM
Nara munched while listening to Penny nodding at the last comment. The Garou hadn't known much about their Corax cousins until still stumbled and met her Lupus friend. "Where were these attacks, anyway?"

Without a little information, even Nara couldn't begin to take a guess of what was happening. Hell, it could have been any shapechanger, Wyrm creature, or even a bloodsucker at this point.

Penelope Lloyd-Fraser
Jun 29th, 2006, 04:48:53 AM
“In the suburbs! That's what's confusing me. Usually these places are little islands of calm, totally crime free... then all of a sudden we get a series of brutal attacks. It makes no sense.” Shaking her head, she paused to take a sip of her coffee. “The public crime scene reports pretty much cancel out any vamp involvement. It could have been a Garou, I guess, but we keep pretty good tabs on everyone here... if there was a new pup in town, tearing things up, we'd know by now.”

Nara McKenna
Jun 29th, 2006, 04:03:58 PM
"All right," she flicked the empty wrapper away, "That's plenty weird. Got any folk in the area that aren't Garou?"

Other shapechangers besides wolf kind were rare but they did exist. Like Penny's raven friend Crowley. "Besides our information getter of course."

Penelope Lloyd-Fraser
Jul 1st, 2006, 06:15:23 AM
“Not so much. Laguna is pretty Garou-dense, but besides Crowley there's hardly any other folk around. One or two here and there, but they don't seem to stay long. I'm guessing it's probably one of those wild cards that did it... someone who hasn't hit the radar yet, and might not stay long enough to make enough of a blip for us to find them.”

Penny frowned into the lukewarm dregs of her coffee. She glanced at her watch. “It shouldn't be much longer before Crows is done, I think. We could set off to my place in a little while... I'll take you the scenic route.”

Nara McKenna
Jul 1st, 2006, 09:17:20 AM
"Sounds like a plan. We can take my bike if you want," the Fury grinned knowingly, "Unless you broke down and bought a car?"

Nara laughed. Pen was a lupus and a member of the Children of Gaia tribe. No way her four footed friend would be caught dead owning a gas guzzling machine.

Penelope Lloyd-Fraser
Jul 1st, 2006, 01:07:33 PM
“Pft! I'll have to be a reluctant passenger, I guess. I don't know why you don't just get a push-bike.”

Penny sighed and shook her head, although it was obvious that she was only half serious.

“You just want the opportunity to wear the leathers, don't you?”

Nara McKenna
Jul 1st, 2006, 01:20:10 PM
Nara smirked in agreement, "It's good to have on in a fight. They're easy to take care of too."

Plus she looked good in them but kept that comment to herself. She was never one to boast about herself, it was always someone else offering the comment. "You get my helmet like usual when we ride."

Penelope Lloyd-Fraser
Jul 1st, 2006, 01:25:48 PM
“Joy. That thing stinks worse than a Bone Gnawers butt,” Penny said with a grin, ever playful. She followed Nara outside, to the man-made beast that she rode. It was the only one of it's kind that Penny had been on, and she hoped to keep it that way. Following her friends lead, she hopped up onto the back of the bike, looking even more out of place once she had slid the clunky helmet over her head – her red pigtails sticking out at the bottom.

Nara McKenna
Jul 1st, 2006, 01:33:34 PM
She tied her hair back so the wind wouldn't whip it in her face and slipped on a pair of driving sunglasses. The motorcycle turned over and hummed to life, making the most beautiful purring noise that the Fury had ever heard.

"Remember to hang on tight," she said, revving the engine. "It has been awhile."

Nara kicked the stand up and walked the bike out of the parking spot. A devious thought crossed her mind to pop a wheelie for that Bone Gnawer comment, but she liked Pen too much to be that mean. Once the traffic cleared up, the Ninja darted into the open lane and took off down the road.

Penelope Lloyd-Fraser
Jul 2nd, 2006, 10:10:58 AM
Penny put on a brave face for the ride, in spite of fearing for her life. One of the blessings of travelling on Nara's bike was that the journey was over not long after it begun. Stepping back onto firm ground outside her modest apartment, Penny breathed a sigh of relief as she emerged from under the heavy helmet.

“You went really fast on purpose there, didn't you?” she asked, shaking her head. After a moment fishing about for her keys, they were inside. The apartment was only a single floor, but it was more than enough room for one person.

“Anyone home?” she called out, hearing a rustling in the kitchen. Peeking around the door frame, she saw Crowley rifling through a cupboard. He froze and held up his hands in defense.

“Oh dear. Caught, red-handed,” he sighed. Pressing his wrists together, he offered them out to Penny. “Cuff me and throw me in the slammer, officer.”

“Nara, this is Crows.”

“Crowley,” the man in black corrected. “I've heard a lot about you, Nara. Good to meet you. Rather a shame it has to be over a few dead bodies.”

Nara McKenna
Jul 3rd, 2006, 03:47:24 PM
She never had met a Corax before so the Garou wasn't sure what to expect. Rumor had it that their Raven cousins were nosey and inquisitive beings. Catching Crowley in the act of snooping seemed to confirm that.

"Heard a lot about me huh?" She looked suspiciously at Penny. The Fury didn't think it was anything too important but she always felt funny when people talked about her.

Crowley
Jul 6th, 2006, 05:39:21 PM
“Oh, nothing to worry about,” Crowley grinned as he eased the cupboard doors closed. He dusted off his hands then breathed as a sigh.

“Shall we sit down then? I've got some good news and some bad news. Which would you like first?”

Nara McKenna
Jul 8th, 2006, 09:04:35 AM
Nara sat down on the couch and got comfortable. Time to get down to business. "Bad news first."

Crowley
Jul 9th, 2006, 09:07:08 AM
Crowley perched on the arm of a chair opposite the sofa. “The bad news is that just as you suspected, Penny, there is something more to this than meets the eye. Our boy was savaged by – you're not going to believe this – a Rokea!”

Nara McKenna
Jul 10th, 2006, 03:05:51 PM
Her eyes narrowed and expanded at different intervals in vexation. She looked towards Penny, begging for more information, "Ah who?"

Penelope Lloyd-Fraser
Jul 18th, 2006, 08:17:57 PM
“Rokea Ixya,” Crowley repeated, enunciating each syllable clearly and precisely.

Penny breathed out a long sigh, rubbing her temples with her thumb and forefinger.

“Weresharks. I had no idea that we had Rokea in Laguna.”

“Neither did I!” The Corax sounded absolutely astonished. “Fascinating, isn't it? They're incredibly solitary animals, the stuff myth and legend are made of. Even if they do venture out of the sea, it's only for a matter of time... they're driven mad by separation from the ocean.”

“They don't have much love for Gaia or humans,” Penny added. “They just want to be left alone, which suits the rest of us fine. Somewhere down the line, Gaia will have a role for them, of course...”

“Ruthlessly killing something, I should imagine,” Crowley suggested, at which Penny frowned.

Nara McKenna
Jul 20th, 2006, 03:17:54 PM
To a degree, she agreed with Crowley. "When it comes to fighting the Wyrm, Pen, not everything is going to be pretty. But that's besides the point. We have any idea why this Rokea has gone mad?"

Crowley
Jul 22nd, 2006, 08:49:51 AM
“I wouldn't like to guess.” Crowley, like all Corax, was a stickler for facts. “I think it would be wise for you to try and meet with it, though. It's not unheard of for Rokea to attack humans, but it is a rare occurrence none the less. Something must have gotten it's tail-fins in a twist.”

Nara McKenna
Jul 22nd, 2006, 09:03:54 AM
"So, you want us to track down and talk nicely to a crazed wereshark that has been mauling people to death." Nara smirked and looked at Penny. "Sounds like my kinda mission."

Penelope Lloyd-Fraser
Jul 22nd, 2006, 09:07:23 AM
“I suppose the beach would be the logical place to look, then?”

Crowley nodded. “Yes. The Rokea will have to return to the water sooner or later.”

“Hopefully sooner. I guess this means we will be camping out on the shore.”

“Sounds like quite an adventure for you both,” the Corax chipped in, with a broad smile. “I would come with you, but I'm afraid I have some other business to attend to.”

Nara McKenna
Jul 22nd, 2006, 09:18:59 AM
Nara narrowed an eye at the Corax, not buying it. "You just don't want to be eaten."

Crowley
Jul 22nd, 2006, 09:50:34 AM
“Au contraire, Miss McKenna!” Crowley looked shocked. “I am merely looking out for all our best interests. The business I have is with a Bastet – a werecat, that is - whom I intend to bring to Laguna. I'm sure she will be invaluable in helping in any further investigations surrounding this wereshark!”

Nara McKenna
Jul 22nd, 2006, 10:04:35 AM
"And not to get eaten." She was curious though. "A Bastet huh? Well, that will make things even more interesting. I honestly can't remember when this many kinds of shapeshifters have been in one area.

Anyway," she slapped Penny on the arm. "We need to get packing."

Penelope Lloyd-Fraser
Jul 22nd, 2006, 12:16:52 PM
“I think it's great to have us all working together. It's how it's meant to be,” Penny beamed, getting to her feet. “Alright then, Crows. Nara and I will go scope out the beach without you... I've got a couple of sleeping bags stashed away somewhere, I think. We can make a little fort under the pier?”

Nara McKenna
Jul 22nd, 2006, 01:50:12 PM
"Sounds fine." Nara stood up and stretched. "I just find it funny you always wanted me to go camping. Just not the way I was expecting it."

The Fury looked around the room. She was getting antsy. "What else can I pack?"

Penelope Lloyd-Fraser
Jul 23rd, 2006, 09:15:10 AM
“A packed lunch! With strawberries and cream,” Crowley gave a grin.

“We could take some snacks, I guess,” Penny added, as she bundled away the sleeping bags and pillows that she'd fished out of the closet. “We can always pick food up at the shoreline cafes.”

Nara McKenna
Jul 24th, 2006, 12:55:15 PM
"Sounds good."

Nara headed to the kitchen and packed up some chips and granola bars into a brown paper bag. She had some cash on her incase the two of them needed to buy something with more substance. "Wanna take my bike just incase we need a quick getaway?"

Penelope Lloyd-Fraser
Aug 3rd, 2006, 05:55:17 PM
“Gaia gave us legs for a reason, Nara,” Penny chided, rolling her eyes, albeit playfully. With their various amenities packed and ready, she slung her backpack over her shoulder, and tucked a rolled up sleeping bag under her arm.

“Okay! Let's go!”

Crowley
Aug 3rd, 2006, 05:56:06 PM
Crowley, meanwhile, shook out his feathers and vanished out of the kitchen window – it was time to find Keeva.

Nara McKenna
Aug 5th, 2006, 08:25:16 PM
"Okay," Nara said, "But if we don't get away fast enough if their's trouble, just remember who offered what."

She slapped Penny on the back playfully and the two of them hiked down to the beach.

Keeva
Aug 8th, 2006, 11:23:14 AM
:: Keeva sat cross-legged on the floor, with rows of mahjong tiles spread out in front of her. She looked up at the tapping sound outside the window. A large black crow peered back at her, and she hopped up to let it in ::

"... while I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping."

:: She stretched and chuckled ::

"Where you been, bird-brain?"

Crowley
Aug 9th, 2006, 10:09:36 AM
The raven gave a little shimmy and in the blink of an eye was replaced by a man.

“Here, there and everywhere, my dear.”

Straightened his dark glasses, he asked: “I hope I'm not interrupting anything?”

Keeva
Aug 11th, 2006, 04:22:23 PM
:: She chuckled again ::

"As if your beak wasn't long enough. What's up?"

Crowley
Aug 12th, 2006, 08:04:37 AM
“I'd like to say that I'm here on a social visit, but I'd be lying, of course,” he replied, with a rueful sigh. “We've got a bit of a Rokea problem in Laguna.”

Keeva
Aug 15th, 2006, 08:52:09 AM
"A ROKEA???!!!"

:: she looked at him inquisitivley ::

"who's we?"

Crowley
Aug 15th, 2006, 10:21:28 AM
Keeva's verbal ejaculation just about knocked Crowley off his feet. He recoiled, his eyes widening slightly, enough so that his eyebrows could be seen leaping above his dark glasses.

“We is... Laguna as a whole. The Rokea aren't happy, and when Rokea aren't happy, big shark-shaped bites start appearing in random places, places that used to contain vital organs. Penelope Lloyd-Fraser was the one to contact me about it. She's drafted in a friend of hers, Nara McKenna, to help. I felt left out, without a friend of my own there!”

Keeva
Aug 15th, 2006, 11:03:37 AM
"Well let's go!!!" she said, rushing out the door. Five seconds later, she zipped back inside to get dressed, snagging her clothes off the couch ::

Crowley
Aug 16th, 2006, 02:01:13 PM
Pausing only to roll his eyes, Crowley followed in Keeva's over-excitable wake.

“And how exactly are we going to go? I've got my transportation sorted,” he said, flapping his arms, “What about you?”

Keeva
Aug 16th, 2006, 03:48:18 PM
:: Keeva hopped over and pulled the tarp off her motorcycle, a '99 Suzuki GSX1300R. She beamed at the Corax ::

"Get on."

Crowley
Aug 16th, 2006, 07:41:41 PM
“What is it with you mammals and your bikes?” Crowley sighed, climbing on. “Well,” he added, glancing down at himself, at his close-fitting leather jacket and pants. “At least I'm dressed for it.”

Keeva
Aug 17th, 2006, 09:05:20 AM
:: Keeva caught Crowley's hands and moved them down to her hips. Looking over her shoulder at him, she gave him a wink ::

"Hold on." ;)

:: She revved up the Hayabusa and off they went to join the others ::

Penelope Lloyd-Fraser
Aug 18th, 2006, 10:44:49 AM
Meanwhile...

Even though it was late in the day, the beach was teeming with life. Children splashed about in the water, couples lounged on the warm sand. Penny and Nara had found a nice spot in the shade, beneath the old wooden pier. As she unpacked a few things, Penny hummed to herself: “Under the boardwalk, we'll be having some fun...”

Nara McKenna
Aug 29th, 2006, 06:19:23 PM
Nara laughed and filled in the next part. "Under the Boardwalk, people walkin' above. Under the Boardwalk, we'll be falling in love ... Under the Boardwalk. Boardwalk!"

She sang it in the style of the Drifters, with a feminine touch of course, while leaning against the pier in contentment.

Penelope Lloyd-Fraser
Aug 29th, 2006, 06:29:18 PM
Penny giggled and tossed Nara a wink, then flopped back on the sand with a sigh. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath of the calming sea air- “What the...” she mumbled, the obnoxious sound of a motorbike engine disturbing the peace. Propping herself up on her elbows, she craned her neck to look back towards the shore.

Crowley
Aug 29th, 2006, 06:34:12 PM
The bike screeched to a halt, with Crowley all but falling off. He slipped from the seat and stumbled onto the hot tarmac, wobbling precariously as he tried to acclimatize himself to walking again. His sunglasses were on wonky and his hair looked as if it had just been given a hurricane blow dry.

“I think I'm going to be sick...”

Keeva
Aug 29th, 2006, 06:45:34 PM
"No you're not .... just breathe." :D

:: Keeva got off her bike at looked at the two young women curiously ::

Penelope Lloyd-Fraser
Aug 29th, 2006, 06:51:24 PM
“Looks like the cavalry is here,” Penny joked, laughing at the sight of Crowley falling about.

“Hey Crows!” she shouted, “What did I tell you about drinking before dinner?”

Nara McKenna
Aug 29th, 2006, 06:54:36 PM
Nara's ears perked up with the sound of the motorcycle. It sounded like a Suzuki. Without introductions, the Black Fury got herself up, dusted off the sand and went to inspect said machine. Crouching down, there was a very tiny grin that was barely noticable.

It was a '99 Suzuki GSX1300R. If there was one thing her heightened senses attuned too most, was the sound of a motorcycle engine. Gave it away every time.

Keeva
Aug 29th, 2006, 07:02:12 PM
:: Keeva peered over Nara's shoulder ::

"Well, at least someone appreciates the wheels." she purred.

Crowley
Aug 29th, 2006, 07:07:30 PM
“Forgive me for not singing their praises,” Crowley mumbled, as he rubbed his stomach with one hand, still convinced that he was going to be coming face to face with his last meal all too soon.

“Keeva... Penny, Nara. I'd give my usual introductions, but I'm afraid my brain was dislodged on the way here.”

Nara McKenna
Aug 30th, 2006, 11:37:42 AM
The Garou let out a small appreciative whistle. "Mhmm. Jealous too. Pen made me leave my bike at her place."

Penelope Lloyd-Fraser
Sep 2nd, 2006, 05:28:14 PM
Penny looked expectantly to Keeva, who seemed to be appraising Nara and herself with a distinct feline curiosity. “You two going to come join us down under the boardwalk, then? I figure it's only a couple more hours before the sunbathers call it a day and we can get snooping for our finned friend.”

Crowley
Sep 2nd, 2006, 05:32:49 PM
“Finned friend?” Crowley looked incredulous, as he swaggered towards the beach proper, attracting more than a few amused glances thanks to his all black attire. “Rokea are about the least friendly bunch you'll find on all of Gaia's green Earth. You can be as sunshine and lollipops as you want about them, Penelope, but that isn't going to stop them having your torso as an aperitif.”

Keeva
Sep 5th, 2006, 04:28:06 PM
:: Keeva secured her bike, then joined the others ::

"Okay, who's the leader of this little group?"

Nara McKenna
Sep 5th, 2006, 04:48:21 PM
Nara's eyes narrowed as she jumped down to where Penny was. "Does it matter or can we just do our jobs?"

Keeva's question had irritated her unintentionally.

Penelope Lloyd-Fraser
Sep 5th, 2006, 05:39:36 PM
“Right, we don't have a leader. We're a democracy!”

As the others filed back under the pier, Penny shuffled along in the sand to make room.

“Thanks for coming along, by the way, Keeva,” she added with a smile, pleased to have them all working together.

Crowley
Sep 5th, 2006, 05:43:24 PM
Democracy. Crowley rolled his eyes behind his shades – which were, incidentally, being worn in the appropriate weather for once. “I suppose we're just playing the waiting game now, then?” he asked, glancing sidelong – and with obvious discomfort at the thought of the heat - towards the people out sunning themselves on the beach.

Keeva
Sep 5th, 2006, 06:37:06 PM
"I was just wondering who was gonna buy snacks. The leader buys snacks." :D

Nara McKenna
Sep 5th, 2006, 06:46:59 PM
She patted Penny's bag with a boot. "Knock yourself out. Trail mix and granola bars galore."

The Garou sat down next to her friend with the hint of an amused smile.. "I guess that makes you the leader by default."

The momentary irritation by the Fury was gone.

Penelope Lloyd-Fraser
Sep 5th, 2006, 07:41:38 PM
Penny pumped a fist in the air, and mouthed 'score.'

“You all better behave, you hear? I won't have no slacking. I run a tight ship. Now drop and give me twenty, bird boy!”

Crowley
Sep 5th, 2006, 07:48:57 PM
“Aye aye, captain!” The Corax gave a mock-salute to the new leader.

Already restless, he began to pace about on the sand looking up and down the length of the beach, looking closely at where the sand narrowed into rocks. “Do you think anyone would notice if I went for a quick flight?” he asked, of no one in particular.

Keeva
Sep 8th, 2006, 09:06:42 AM
:: Keeva shrugged at Crowley as she took a bite of the granola bar Penny gave her. She chewed, and chewed and chewed. She swallowed it with difficulty and made a yuk face ::

Nara McKenna
Sep 8th, 2006, 06:23:58 PM
Nara betrayed a hint of a smirk as she watched Keeva. "Not if you do it quiet like, Crowley."

Penelope Lloyd-Fraser
Sep 13th, 2006, 09:05:49 AM
“Stay put,” Penny sighed. “We don't want to take any unnecessary risks.”

Crowley shook his head and looked out to sea. The sun began to dip behind the horizon, and slowly the droves of people on the beach thinned. The Garou swapped stories for a while, eventually falling into silence as they shared a mutual moment of awe at the sight of the sunset. Crowley in particular seemed pleased by it. Although he was a creature of the sun by nature, a child of Helios, he welcomed the cool night air. The moon became faintly visible, with only a few restless surfers and wandering teens still on the sands.

Crowley
Sep 13th, 2006, 09:18:01 AM
Crowley was lent against one of the legs of the pier, looking out from the land. As he watched the waves, he murmured to himself. “They cannot look out far. They cannot look in deep. But when was that ever a bar to any watch they keep?”

A couple of the teens ambling nearby on the sand gave him a quizzical look, snorting with laughter. He groaned, “Philistines”, and walked back to the group of Garou. “Just some surfers and doped up kids left. I think we can make a move.”

Keeva
Sep 25th, 2006, 03:46:47 PM
"Alright, what exactly are we doing when we find the Rokea?"

Nara McKenna
Sep 25th, 2006, 05:52:43 PM
"She brings up a good point," Nara said as she watched the last rays of sunlight falling into the ocean. The beauty of it made her lips curl into a small smile briefly. "We might have to kill it depending on what happens."

Crowley
Sep 29th, 2006, 01:15:32 PM
“Ixya are perhaps the most docile of the Rokea, but given our mans recent behavior I wouldn't put it past him to take our intrusion into his business with less than good humor.” Crowley smirked without humor. “If I'm being frank, I have my doubts as to whether all our strengths combined could kill a Rokea, even if it were drugged, gagged and had just received a once over beating from an angry pack of Red Talons.”

Penelope Lloyd-Fraser
Sep 29th, 2006, 01:19:20 PM
“Crowley: keeping it positive, as always,” Penny sighed. Unfortunately, she agreed.

“I packed some tranq darts, just in case things got ugly. Which they probably will. We can shoot the guy first and ask questions later... but I think it's pretty important that we don't skip the questions part, otherwise we might just end up with a whole school of weresharks out for revenge.”

Keeva
Jan 5th, 2007, 10:21:27 AM
:: Keeva's eyes shifted color for an instant as she sniffed the air ::

"I think you're right."

Nara McKenna
Jan 5th, 2007, 08:02:34 PM
The Fury nodded. "Agreed. I don't have to kill. I rather talk, but you better have a crap load of them darts Pen. Cuz if that thing doesn't go down, we're gonna have a lot of hurt coming our way."

Crowley
Jan 25th, 2007, 04:16:38 PM
Crowley looked to Keeva knowingly. “My danger senses are tingling,” he quipped. His eyes turned towards the ocean, expectantly, and focused upon the incoming waves. The surface of the water rippled and split, as a curved fin sliced through into the air. With a spray of foam, the Rokea burst out of the sea. Over ten foot tall, its dark flesh glistened even in the dull light, making visible the razor-sharp pectoral fins lining its forearms. Its jaw hung open, displaying row upon row of serrated teeth. “Someone ordered 'a whole lot of hurt'?”

Keeva
Feb 3rd, 2007, 03:19:42 PM
:: Keeva stood protectivley in front of Crowley, all five feet, seven inches of her ::

"I'm ready."

:: She glanced nervously at the two garou and grinned ::

"You ready???"