PDA

View Full Version : Now and Then: Paying Dues (Sanis)

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 4th, 2006, 07:10:35 PM
There were no patterings of small feet anywhere in the Cat. In fact, for once, it was blissfully quiet and the mood one of tranquility. A far cry from how things had been in the past. These breaks in the normal friction of every day happenings were oft welcomed by Loklorien s'Ilancy, and it had now become common practice for her to - when these quiet times prevailed - seclude herself aboard her shuttle.

In the time since she'd first come to Layla until now, the shuttle itself had changed rather drastically. No longer a bare-bones craft with nthing but deckplates and bulkheads, it had been turned into more suitable living quarters. There was a bed; neatly made and inviting, covered in the softest of comforters. A small desk rested against the bulkhead, and a low table made of deep deiga wood sat in the center. It had been purchased at their last stopover and already housed a number of oddly carved trinkets and other assorted odds and ends.

A lit incense burner was set on a nightstand, adding to the serene picture and giving its' already archaic surrounding that much more of an ancient nature.

The lone occupant of the shuttle was silent, letting the quiet of her 'home' reign with only the occasional rustle of paper as she studiously scrawled notes with an old style stylus.

One of the stranger things about the shuttle was that if one was to look closer, they would notice the distinct lack of any electronic recording instruments, such as datapads and voice recorders. No; the only things to be seen of that nature were handwritten, handbound books. Each one carefully placed upon the few small shelves that could be found against bulkheads, and each one well-used.

Loklorien s'Ilancy let the silence overtake her, concentrating on her writings as she had for the last two hours. Tak was in the cargo bay playing with Daani, so the Lupine used her time well. It was a rare thing for her to have the time to restore her left behind texts, but she was determined to take advantage of the peace whenever possible.

She had brought what books she could, but still had to leave volumes upon volumes of Lupine literature back on Cathar. As such, she took on the task of rebuilding her library. It was a daunting task, but one that she enjoyed none the less. Preserving history was a passion given to her by her father before his death, and she would carry the tradition of documenting the nearly extinct Lupine lore.

Alone but for the wisps of smoke rising from the stick of incense she had lit, Lok went about her writing in content silence.

Sanis Prent
Apr 4th, 2006, 07:25:06 PM
I'd switched Layla to automatic control over an hour ago. There was little to do now but watch the stars go by.

The longer space voyages were always a bit surreal. You had a general sense of passing time, but one that was always a little blurry around the edges. Night and day were numbers on a chronometer. While Cirr and James spent this duldrum slumbering in their respective quarters, I spent it in the pilothouse, somewhere between my thoughts and insomnia.

Eventually, I tore myself away from the view, and went to seek company. Climbing down from the pilothouse, I could hear Daani and Tak bounding on the cargo room's floor grating from a deck above. It was always best to let those two tire themselves out.

After a little aimless wandering on my boat, I came to a stop at the spot where my domain ended. I gave a light knock on the hatch.

"We'll reach the Nimpa system by morning." I spoke in a soft tone to the shuttle's occupant.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 4th, 2006, 07:40:26 PM
Only a slight pause in the scrawling, but the scratching soon resumed and s'Il said nothing for a few moments while finishing the sentence she had been writing. Setting the stylus down carefully, she reached out to wipe away an unseen speck of dust from the paper.

"That is a sooner than I had originally thought," she finally answered after another moment of silence. Her attentions were divided now, as she remained aware of Sanis' presence behind her while still mulling over what she had written. Twenty years ago she would have been worried that her ability to record past events would never be truly acceptable when compared to the other volumes she had; that her talents would nowhere be near those of the authors who had come before her.

Now though, the Lupine recognized that each retelling, while holding the same facts, was unique to its' author. Her own writing skills had vastly improved, and now it seemed as natural a function as breathing. It was this way for most all Lupines; history was a thing to be revered, recorded, and remembered. Preservation in any form possible was key, since the once vast bloodlines had dwindled down to only one. Her.

After another moment of contemplation, she turned slightly to look sidelong at him.

"I take it everyone else is indisposed?"

The smell of the incense filled her nostrils, and she gave him a rather foreign-looking - yet genuinely friendly smile.

"Or are you so bored as to look for conversation from me?"

Sanis Prent
Apr 4th, 2006, 07:50:26 PM
"Don't take it the wrong way, but yeah."

I offered a sheepish smirk, leaning against the hatch frame.

"I get a night of nothing breaking on my ship or anything going wrong with my crew. You'd think I'd feel a little more grateful."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 4th, 2006, 07:56:29 PM
s'Il turned back to her papers, plucking the stylus up from where she'd placed it.

"Enjoy it while it lasts. Times like this are too few, and the calm before the storm isn't something to be thrown away."

Continuing on in her writing, she let a pause rest between them.

"If you're looking for someone to talk to, you best come in," she said presently, "No use standing in the doorway."

Sanis Prent
Apr 4th, 2006, 08:00:31 PM
"Sure."

Wasting little time, I hopped through the threshold and took a seat on the bed in the living area. My eyes wandered to s'il's handiwork.

"Whatcha got?"

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 4th, 2006, 08:06:24 PM
"History."

It was a simple reply for an equally simple question.

Scrutinizing the last line she'd written, s'Il leaned back only a little. She sat crosslegged on the floor in front of the low degia table, and her free hand went down to rest on the intricately woven rug that had been placed over the decking of the shuttle.

"I left most of my library on Cathar; All I had room to bring were family trees and a few other assorted collections. This is nothing more than rebuilding what I once had. I don't expect to be done any time soon; maybe in ten or twenty years time, but I think now is a good a time as any to begin reconstructing what I had."

Sanis Prent
Apr 4th, 2006, 08:10:08 PM
"Reconstructing...from memory?"

I played with the frills on an ornate pillow at the corner of the bed.

"I've seen your library. That's one hell of a job, even for a wizard like you."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 4th, 2006, 08:19:44 PM
She offered him an easy smile. "From memory? Yes. It's not very hard most of the time. I grew up on those lessons and parables. A majority of them I could recite to you right now, and so it's not all that difficult to commit them to paper.

"This has nothing to do with my connection to the Force - it is more of a personal undertaking that is completely unrelated. As it stands, my skills in the Force itself are woefully inadiquate compared to what they could be. I've lived alone for so many years that it is all I can do to continue with the lessons I'd been given before the Purge. After that, I was on my own. No master, no teacher... no one to impart any new 'wizarding' talents."

The fingers of her free hand rubbed over the rug in the smallest of motions as she remembered her library back on Cathar. She let her smile shift a little. "As for my old library, it's grown since you last saw it."

Sanis Prent
Apr 4th, 2006, 08:23:01 PM
"Yeah?"

I leaned back a bit.

"I never was much the reading type. How about a book report?"

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 4th, 2006, 08:26:09 PM
The stylus was set back down and s'Il inclined her head, staring at Sanis.

She smirked.

"Aye, if I remember things correctly, you were more the stealing type."

Sanis Prent
Apr 4th, 2006, 08:32:15 PM
I nodded, unashamed of the accusation.

"That's practically sainthood on Nar Shadaa. I stole from people who could afford the stealing. People killed over a cleaner wardrobe back there, so I guess I can live with a little thievery."

I mulled it over, and laughed.

"Guess I haven't really changed much."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 4th, 2006, 08:36:53 PM
"You're not quite as obvious about it as you were back then - I dare say you've picked up a bit more class in regards to that whole subject; at least in terms of knowing what jobs are really worth your time.

"My days of considering you halfway legit are coming to a middle."

The Lupine went silent for a moment, digesting a part of what he'd said.

"Would you say I could 'afford the stealing', as you put it?"

Sanis Prent
Apr 4th, 2006, 08:41:51 PM
"Hmm."

I leaned back against the pillow, knowing exactly what little moment in time she was referring to.

"You know, I'd tailed you a good seven blocks. You'd be suprised what you can know about somebody just from walking behind them. The way you talked, the way you looked at other people, and even the shops. You were sweating book learning, and I banked on what I thought was a safe bet.

That, and your robes weren't speckled with soot and bird crap. Or maybe I've got mind tricks of my own."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 4th, 2006, 09:04:23 PM
Almost seven years ago...

During the fall months, Imram-Lien - the Holy City - was always bustling with activity. Inhabited mostly by monks, preists, and clerics from all walks of Cathar's religious orders, it almost literally oozed with the planet's mysticisms.

Lok s'Ilancy had lived on Cather for long enought hat the years now blurred together, making her bi-monthly visits to Imram-Lien with precision clockwork. The owners of the shops she visited knew her well, and they often had her purchases already laid out. Of course, she almost always bought the same things - binding leathers, papers, new pens, and ink.

She new many of the priests by name, and visited them whenever she made her trips to the Holy City. No one knew where she made her home, and she had made it a point to tell no one. After all, the Lost Palace of Beasts was considered a sacred place, and if word were to circulate that she had made the ancient citadel her home, there would be no telling how such a reaction would unfold.

Now, at the end of her most recent sojourn into Imram-Lien, the Lupine stepped from the door of her last stop out into the harsh Cathar sun. Her white robes were amazingly free of most of the dust that coated other traveller's clothes, and her boots somehow had also remained immaculate.

She was the very picture of an almost obsessive individual. Everything had to be just so, and her attire was no exception. After years of running, she had finally begun to feel safe - and that security now manifested itself much more prominantly than before.

Turning her one good eye skyward, she gauged the position of the sun before starting down the ancient bricklaid street.

The city's single, almost laughable 'starport' was a short distance away and she wished to return home once more to surround herself in the already extensive collection of Lupine volumes that had been left in the library when the original architects and inhabitants - her ancestors - abandoned Cathar.

Determination in her gait, the Lupine made her way through the crowds littering the street.

Sanis Prent
Apr 4th, 2006, 09:46:17 PM
This place smells different.

Of course, that is a good thing when one comes from Nar Shadaa, but it's tough for me to place. There's an earthy flavor on the air, and the faint scent of spices.

Of course, that doesn't help me figure how I'm going to book passage to the next planet. I'd stolen my fare off Nar Shadaa, and I would've been off to Malastare if I hadn't gotten caught with my hand in the captain's credit account. He would've brained me for sure if it weren't for the fact that the Cathar would've taken poorly to the idea. Instead, he left me with the clothes on my back while he moved on.

That was a week ago. By the amount of thieving I'd done since, I figured I was a day away from bartering for a fare on the next transport. Where would I go, I didn't know anymore.

A strange glow caught my eye, and I turned from a merchant's fruit booth to watch a pristinely-robed person slipping into the crowd. Her (it was obviously a she) robes were no less humble than the others around, but they seemed to somehow be in a better condition. It was as if she washed her clothes every day. That may not sound like much, but I knew the kind of people that did that sort of thing on Nar Shadaa. They were called easy targets.

It didn't take much convincing for me to follow her.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 5th, 2006, 07:56:33 AM
Through pockets of holymen she meade her way, only giving a brief nod to those who had originally given a cursory wave in greeting. Shrines dotted the streetsides, surrounded by charm shops, book shops, and even a few cafes.

Past all of these she walked, her stride unbroken as her eyes picked out the easiest path to take through the crowds before her. It was a bit of an easy task, as many recognized the white-robed offworlder and made more passing room than they would normally afford others. Of course, it was not hard to pick her out - the scar blazing a trail through her right eye made sure she was set apart from the other offworlders that had come to call Cathar home.

Her gait never broke, never faultered as she passed by those around her, and in an almost absent movement reached a hand up to swipe away a lock of blonde-brunette hair from her face. A stately Cathar male standing outside the entrance to one of the many shrines along the street moved to walk beside her. He had caught sight of her very quickly. Once again, she was not hard to find in a crowd of Cathar natives.

He kept pace with her, his eyes forward. Without so much as a glance at her, he spoke. "Ah, One-Eye."

s'Il kept her pace, but inclined her head in respect for the older male.

"High Priest Mobahk."

"I did not realize the time since your last visit had passed so quickly. Out of writing materials already?"

They navigated through a cluster of shamans.

"I am."

Mobahk let what constituted a Cathar smile spread across his greying face. "Such a desire for solitude in one still so young; it is a quandary that many of my colleagues ponder. Myself included."

"It is my firm belief that age is determined by experience, not years."

"Perhaps. It does not stop some from wondering, however."

A smile and a slow nod. "I won't be so narcissistic as to presume my presence on Cathar warrants any more attention than the other offworlders here. In any case, I would think that my minor presence is for the most part unnoticable."

"And when you are given a wider berth than others of your kind?"

"The scar tells enough stories on its' own. I don't expect people to forget such a disfigurement."

Mobahk chuckled. "You may be correct. Do not think yourself invisible though - it could be your downfall. I know you seek to be alone, but take care. When you think yourself safest is when you are in the most danger."

"I'll be sure to remember that."

She slowed to a stop then at the opening of an intersecting road. The starport was in sight, and the Lupine finally turned to look up at her walking companion.

"Tell your fellow brothers that I send my greetings and best well-wishes."

"I will."

Each dipped in respectful bows to the other, and without ceremony parted ways.

Alone once again, s'Il headed for the single building that made up the city's starport.

Sanis Prent
Apr 6th, 2006, 09:33:09 PM
Now, the act of stealing one's meal ticket from another person was a bit more complicated than face value. One had to be mindful of the environment, their target, and the people around them.

In this case, I was on the six of a lady in a crowded town street, under broad daylight. She wasn't noticing me, but she was wearing robes, which aren't entirely condusive to picking pockets.

So, a simple pick was out. So too, was pulling a knife or a blaster on her. With lots of law abiding citizens around, it's sort of a faux pas. And these were the sort of law abiding citizens I didn't feel like rubbing the wrong way.

That left only the most creative options. I hung a quick left down a side-road, feigning to place some coinage in a newsboy's cup as I took a copy of the news for a read.

She was an offworlder, and her footsteps seemed to be a beeline to the port. I'd been scratching for coin here long enough to get to know the backroads well enough, so I began to weave through them, picking my pace up to a jog as I went to cut her off. Eventually, I came upon a thoroughfare that lead back to the main road. As long as the robed lady didn't pick up her pace too, then I was ahead of her. I loitered near the corner of the intersection, and opened the paper beneath my eyes, glancing up on occasion to try and spot the lower hems of her familiar robes.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 7th, 2006, 07:58:53 AM
To those from the Core, Imram'Lien's starport would more than likely induce a hearty laugh. s'Il however found it quite appropriately sized, as the Holy City did not really pull in much traffic as far as space-faring vessels went. Mostly personal craft and a few desert skiffs were berthed there, as most on Cathar simply travelled in pakka caravans. It was a simple existance that the people of this planet had - simple and unencumbered by technology. What few larger ships there were visited the desert world mostly stopped at Joffa or Cathar's capital, Kai'Arbydos as those two cities were considered the hubs of trading activity.

This left other cities reliant upon pakka caravans for the most part; of course this made little difference to the Cathar. They had been using beasts of burden for so long that many trusted their animals more than ships.

Oddly enough, s'Il had come to rely more on pakkas than other faster means of transportation herself, but every now and again - mostly for her trips to Imram'Lien - she would use the desert skiff she had purchased when first coming to Cathar.

Closer to the port she came, passing others on their way deeper into the city. What few loiterers there were she ignored; her desire to return once more to the citadel and delve into the journals of her predecessors was great.

In the absence of any Jedi teachings, the Lupine had taken to the history of her people with a renewed vigor. Now able to devote the entirety of her time to studying, she gladly immersed herself in her homes' massive library. She had not forgotten her lessons from the time she spent at the Temple before the Purge though, and consciencously excersised herself into exhaustion lest the atrophy she feared would worsen. There had been so much Master Windu was unable to teach her, but what he had she had done her best not to forget.

Threading her way through the now thinning crowds, s'Il shifted the leather satchel she was carrying to her other shoulder. Head held straight, the Lupine allowed her mind to roam free, becoming aware of those around her as she continued. She could see her Force essence trickle its' way ahead of her, the soft blue-white hue invisible to all but her - another perk of being what she was.

It was as her thoughts rolled over a few wandering monks and an offworlder perusing a paper, that she first felt the small pings of anticipation - the kind of anticipation one felt before taking a somewhat calculated risk. She knew enough that the monks were not who she felt this from.

Taking a cursory note of the man, s'Il opted to keep her pace constant as she continued past him.

Sanis Prent
Apr 7th, 2006, 08:38:26 PM
She began to pass, and I walked forward at a hurried pace.

"Oomph!"

I bumped hard into her, and we both fell to the ground, my paper and her satchel falling to the side in a clutter, the contents of the bag spilling among the mess.

"Frell, I'm so sorry. I didn't see you there."

I fumbled around the dropped items in a veiled attempt at trying to pick up the woman's belongings and put them back in her pack. With the paper rustling over some of the things, I was able to use the distraction to pocket some things without seeing them.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 7th, 2006, 08:56:20 PM
It was a move she had been halfway expecting, and the Lupine went with him to the ground. A minor inconvenience at best, and she frowned slightly while getting to her feet. Watching as he scrambled to replace her things into her satchel, s'Il noted with satisfaction that not all of what she had purchased was returned into the leather carrier; her instincts and awareness had not failed her after all.

She ran a hand over her robes in an absent motion, and said nothing as he finished gathering her spilled goods. A wry smile played ever so lightly across her lips however, at the thought of his future disappointment at having only pocketed a few styluses and one of two bottles of ink. It was an amusing thought to say the least, and one that would come to pass if only if she decided to let him be on his way.

Unfortunately for him she needed what he'd taken, and would get them back.

s'Il looked down at him as he closed the satchel's cover. "You're too kind."

Sanis Prent
Apr 7th, 2006, 09:15:23 PM
"Nah, forget it."

I heaped the rest of her things a little ungracefully back into her satchel, and helped her to her feet.

"I just need to watch where I'm going around here. Could've bumped into a whole lot worse."

Placing he satchel back into her hands, I smiled nervously, then grimaced at the dust on her formerly clean robes.

"I'd dust you off, but you might take it the wrong way."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 7th, 2006, 09:38:30 PM
"The state of my clothes is nothing to be concerned about. These things happen."

She took the satchel from his outstretched hand, letting the tips of her fingers come into contact with his knuckles. It was a fleeting moment, and she let the corners of her lips turn up into a faint smile.

He looked so scruffy and disheaveled that she couldn't help but smile. And so young, too. The Lupine inwardly laughed at the thought - she must be getting old, as Mobahk had said earlier.

Hefting the satchel up onto her shoulder once more, s'Il let her one good eye travel down to the fingers of his left hand.

With the smile still on her features, she locked eyes with him again and spoke quietly.

"You must be very good at what you do, else they would have cut your fingers off by now."

Sanis Prent
Apr 7th, 2006, 10:09:39 PM
"Huh?"

Dammit, she was on to me. I must be really sloppy.

"Look, I'd love to stay and chat, but I've got to be going."

I took a few casual steps down the thoroughfare leading away from the port.

"Been nice bumping into you. See ya."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 7th, 2006, 10:38:11 PM
A quick step forward brought her within grabbing distance, and with a speed unexpected by most, her hand shot out to catch the back neckline of the collar of his shirt. Her grip was like steel, and she gently pulled him back to her in a firm motion.

Her voice was still low so that only he could hear.

"Do not walk away from me or I will make sure that you lose your fingers."

Sanis Prent
Apr 7th, 2006, 10:41:57 PM
Well, that was that. The jig was up.

I turned around slowly, my hands up submissively.

"Okay, okay. Look, I'm sorry I - "

One of my hands curled into a fist, and I rabbit-jabbed her in the nose as my other hand pulled her hood completely over her head.

I then fled in the opposite direction, giving a pass to subtlety.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 7th, 2006, 10:51:16 PM
The satchel was dropped to the ground, and the Lupine's robe soon followed suit. It was now plain to see that the seemingly expensive trappings she'd been wearing were nothing but a cover for the deep desert suit she wore beneath. And in stark contrast to her previously pristine white robes, this suit was very much used - scuffed and sandblown over years of use.

In a brief moment of angered frustration, s'Il started forward at a clipped pace while her right arm lashed out, sending a violent Force push at the younger thief and throwing him forward with enough momentum as to pitch him forward and send his face on a collision course with the hard-packed dirt road...

Sanis Prent
Apr 7th, 2006, 10:56:25 PM
"Aaaiiieee!"

I landed hard enough to see stars, and taste whatever Cathar's dirt roads were made of. It felt like I'd been hit by a ton of bricks. I lay there, dazed, trying to think of what to do next. My hands curled tight against the dirt road as I tried to will myself up to my feet.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 7th, 2006, 11:27:32 PM
In the time that it'd taken him to collect his wits about him to the best of his abilities, s'Il was standing over him, blotting out the noonday sun.

She knelt swiftly, her body ready in case he decided to pull the same stunt as before.

"Now," she said, voice low despite the turned heads in their direction, "you either come with me, or I call the law on you. And what they will do to you is far worse than what I have in mind."

Sanis Prent
Apr 8th, 2006, 12:01:51 AM
"Come with you?!"

I gave her a wild expression. What the hell did that mean anyway? She could be some kind of domination fetishist that just enjoyed tying up hapless thieves in some dungeon and tickling them with feathers. I read that in a book somewhere.

"What, do you want me to fix a toaster or something? I learned a long time ago not to go along with stangers with candy, much less strangers with crazy martial arts powers."

I thought about taking a handful of dirt and tossing it in her eyes.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 8th, 2006, 12:28:35 AM
"Do not tempt me to call upon the authorities in this matter. Better that you simply do as I say."

Her booted foot shifted, and s'Il let it come doen on his wrist, pinning his hand to the dusty, well-traveled road.

"If I let those in charge have their way with you, they will cut off your fingers - it's what they do to thieves on this planet. I'd wager you've not been here long enough to see this practice in action, so I'll let your imagination do what it will when picturing a hand with no digits. Far less dignified than simply having the whole hand removed, I will tell you that.

"And once that is done, they will brand you. Last I heard, branding irons can be quite... hot."

Removing her foot from his wrist, s'Il rose up from her crouch.

"Now. It is your choice whether you come with me or not But know this - if you do not, I will notify the port authorities of your presence and they will dispatch lawmen to track you down."

Without waiting for his answer, the Lupine turned on her heel and made her way back to where her dropped robes and satchel lay.

As an afterthought, she added, "It is hard for offworlders to hide on Cathar."

Sanis Prent
Apr 8th, 2006, 12:32:41 AM
"I don't intend to be here long enough to find out."

I crawled up to my knees, massaging the wrist that she'd put a bootheel to.

"So, what about you? What did you do to cross these people to lose that eye of yours?"

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 8th, 2006, 12:46:42 AM
"That is my business."

Stopping to retrieve her dropped belonging, s'Il continued on her way to the port.

Sanis Prent
Apr 8th, 2006, 07:04:32 PM
"Alright. Fine."

I sighed, and slowly stood up.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 9th, 2006, 08:58:11 AM
She'd been but a few paces from the entrance to the port when he had chosen to make his move, and as s'Il slipped on her now dusty robes, she threw the satchel over her shoulder.

A few more steps and she was at the entrance, but instead of stepping inside, she turned to look at the man.

"Well... ?"

Sanis Prent
Apr 10th, 2006, 06:24:40 PM
I tromped sullenly in my captor's direction.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 10th, 2006, 06:42:31 PM
The port was a simple affair, and navigating through it to her skiff was easily done.

Even the trip back to the citadel was relatively straightforward, if not a quiet journey over nothing but desert. Here and there a few rock outcroppings would sprout up, but those were few and far between.

For over an hour they traveled, not a word of conversation punctuating the silence between them.

They had just passed by a towering black monolith when s'Il seemed to allow her shoulders to relax.

It wouldn't be long now until they reached the citadel.

Sanis Prent
Apr 10th, 2006, 06:52:11 PM
My captor was obviously accustomed to traveling through the deep desert. I, obviously, was not.

The hot sun bore down on me relentlessly, and my tongue started to become salted leather in my drying mouth. I could feel my body weight sweating out of my skin. Suffice to say, Nar Shadaa never had to worry about this sort of thing.

"This is ridiculous. You could've just killed me back in town!"

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 10th, 2006, 07:07:23 PM
"I could have, but I'd prefer to avoid unnecessary killing whenever possible."

She gave him a cursory look. "As it is, I'd say sitting in the sun for a period of time is a good way to begin making up for theft."

Sanis Prent
Apr 10th, 2006, 07:11:12 PM
"Of what, this??"

I waved a stylus indignantly in front of her.

"Cry me a damn river. Seriously. I'm frelling thirsty here!"

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 10th, 2006, 07:14:08 PM
s'Il cocked a brow at the stolen item he held.

"And don't you feel the fool now, for having to endure a few hours without drink for a stylus?"

Sanis Prent
Apr 10th, 2006, 07:22:27 PM
I cocked an eyebrow at her.

"You just don't get it, do you?"

I sat down with a laugh.

"Take a look at me. Look like I've got a credit on me to pinch? That's just a stylus to you. Me? It's a meal ticket at worst, and a bit to put toward getting out of here at best.

So, if you plan on taking me out into the desert for some morality tale, you can kindly go to hell."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 10th, 2006, 07:33:09 PM
She took the skiff into a gentle turn, and a mountain chain began to become just barely visible before them.

"I have already been to hell," was her eventual response, "so I'm afraid your words fall on deaf ears."

The Lupine let another minute of slince pass, then went on.

"Despite what you might think, I'm helping you out. I'll spare you any sort of long-winded diatribe about why; instead I'll simply let you draw your own conclusions."

And with that she fell quiet, watching as the mountains in the distance grew larger.

Sanis Prent
Apr 10th, 2006, 07:38:13 PM
Originally posted by Loklorien s'Ilancy
"I have already been to hell, so I'm afraid your words fall on deaf ears."

That is the cheesiest thing anyone has ever said to me. This had better be a lead-in to some live action beer commercial.

Oh God, beer. Cold, wet, delicious beer.

I decided to keep any smart-aleck remarks to myself, and give the lady enough time to let her actions explain just what the hell she was going on about.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 10th, 2006, 08:01:04 PM
The closer they got to the mountains, the easier it was to see just how looming they really were. They towered over the desert sands like guardians.

And up in the higher peaks was the citadel. Barely descernable except for the sun glinting off the high-up glasspanes, it blended in with the mountainous terrain almost perfectly.

Entering the foothills, s'Il took the skiff along an infrequently used trail - it was something she'd done enough times to pilot her craft with but a few adjustments to the controls. The path soon became winding as it went upwards, but the skiff handled easily.

Higher and higher they went, through valleys and along cliffsides. And then they passed beneath a row of pillars that seemed out of place on this mountaintop. The pillars were soon replaced by giant statues whos' eyes were trained downward, watching those who passed beneath them in silent vigil. The statue-lined road suddenly opened up into a courtyard, four vornskr statues standing guard in its' four corners. A wide stairway was at the far end, leading to a pair of heavy wooden doors - intricately carved and inlaid with what appeared to be gold.

The Lupine slowed the skiff to a gradual stop a few paces from the steps, and without acknowledging the man or telling him to get off, she dropped the short distance to the mosaic-covered ground.

The satchel was thrown over her shoulder, and s'Il skirted the skiff and began climbing the stairs.

Sanis Prent
Apr 10th, 2006, 08:21:22 PM
"Okay."

I watched her walk up the steps, sighed, and followed along. The whole place had a way of making you feel smaller than you were. Very pretty, but also uncomfortable. I followed behind her at a slow clip, begrudgingly taking in the eye candy as I went.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 11th, 2006, 06:36:07 PM
Contrary to their appearance, the doors swung open on their hinges quite easily. Half-turning, s'Il stood in the doorway, a little off to the side in order to allow her guest entrance.

What little light there was inside was offered by a few glowpanels in the floor that were sunken into the stone slabs and lined the walls. It was enough illumination to navigate through what was obviously a foyer, and as it was outside pillars lined the walls leading further into the interior.

The smooth stone floor was covered in chiseled text - obviously not basic - that covered the entire length and stopped just before another open entrance-way.

And beyond the second doorway, unlike the darkened foyer, bright light could be seen filtering in where it was allowed.

s'Il waited patiently, still holding one of the doors open for the man as he had followed her up the stairs.

Sanis Prent
Apr 11th, 2006, 07:33:52 PM
I walked behind s'Il, my eyes going from the lights in the floor to the vaulted ceiling above. Where exactly were we going? A temple? A castle?

"What is this place?"

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 11th, 2006, 07:45:23 PM
Closing the door behind him, s'Il headed towards the doorway on the other end of the foyer.

"A stronghold - built a very long time ago.

"Originally a citadel intended for storage, it is now my home."

The Lupine stepped into the light, stopping to bath in the warmth of the sun. Just visible beyond her, a long cobblestone catwalk stretched out over a deep crevasse. And beyond that, the Citadel; the Lost Palace of Beasts, rested against the mountain face. Parapets stretched up into the sky, and other catwalks could be barely seen extending outwards. Towars the top of the structure, massive panes of glass reflected sunlight, indicative of an observatory of sorts resting atop the citadel.

Even from a distance, statues adorned many nooks and pedastals - some human, others beast; some giant and others more normal-sized. The architecture was nothing like the normal Cathar styles, and while very slight traces could be seen, it was easy to see that this structure was built by individuals not from this planet.

Sanis Prent
Apr 11th, 2006, 07:48:08 PM
"Huh."

I scratched the back of my head as I took it all in.

"So, what's the monthly rent on a place like this anyway?"

I mean, what else was I supposed to say. If this one-eyed mystery chick was wanting to bewilder and impress me, she'd done it. Honestly, I wouldn't be suprised if she pulled a gold nugget out of her ear now. I still wanted to know why she was bothering to show me any of this in the first place.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 11th, 2006, 07:53:30 PM
Starting off across the catwalk, s'Il set a surprisingly lazy pace.

"Rent? No rent. Do you remember the black monolith we passed in the desert? There is a barrier of them stretching over hundreds of miles. The natives all believe this is a cursed place - haunted by 'Beast-Gods'. It makes my desire for solitude much easier a thing to pursue."

Sanis Prent
Apr 11th, 2006, 07:56:15 PM
"You don't believe in the Beast-Gods, then?"

So, she was a squatter. Okay, that took her down a peg at least. Still, she was a creepy lady living in a huge, dazzling, yet creepy abandoned citadel. Oh and she wanted to show a threadbare pickpocket all of this because....

...I gulped.

"You're a serial killer, aren't you?"

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 11th, 2006, 08:12:46 PM
This made her laugh, and the Lupine threw her head back.

"Ha! Core be blown, not likely.

"Killing isn't my thing necessarily. I'm here because it is out of the way, and most would just as soon avoid this place before stepping one foot past the Obelisks."

In her mind, s'Il mulled over his question of whether she believed in the Beast-Gods, choosing to ignore it.

"No, I'm a simple scholar. I spend my days recording history and reading what you would consider to be fairy tales."

Sanis Prent
Apr 11th, 2006, 08:29:27 PM
"That would explain the pens and paper."

I muttered my words. Something still nagged at me.

"You're still not telling me everything."

I ran a finger in a line from my forehead to my cheek, over my right eye.

"Not exactly a bookworm's papercut, is it?"

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 11th, 2006, 08:56:02 PM
Her laughter had died down as they passed the centerpoint of the catwalk. She said nothing for a few moments, instead continuing on in her lazy gait.

"This happened before I came here.

"A result of unfortunate times."

Sanis Prent
Apr 11th, 2006, 09:12:38 PM
I decided to keep my mouth shut as I followed her along the catwalk. I couldn't bait her into revealing any more information, so for now I was stuck. I stuck to the scenery for the next few minutes. Despite the pleasant view, I really needed to get to the bottom of this. I certainly wasn't convinved I wasn't being brought here to be killed or something worse.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 18th, 2006, 09:10:38 PM
s'Il remained quiet for the rest of the walk, opting to rummage through her satchel to see just what the man behind her had blindly taken.

They reached the end of the catwalk, and the Lupine kept on through the already opened doors leading into the citadel. Unlike the foyer building, the entryway of the citadel was much brighter, lit by unseen light sources. Busts and statues lined the walls, and tapestries hung between many of the carvings. Each room she took him through held the same archaic quality, as if it was a museum full of old statues of men, women, and strangely enough - what appeared to be vornskrs.

It was as she passed on of the vornskr heads that she reached out, idly letting her hand graze between its' carved ears in passing. An old habit that had begun soon after she'd come to Cathar.

Up stairways, through hallways, the Lupine took her guest through what seemed like a maze until she finally came to a slow stop at one of the many doors lining the corridor.

Without ceremony, she reached out and pushed it open to reveal a spartan bedroom.

"There is a change of clothes in the closet. Clean yourself up, then come see me. My rooms are at the last door at the end of this hallway."

Sanis Prent
Apr 18th, 2006, 09:22:34 PM
I was about to make a smart remark about the odds of having a closet full of clothes my size, but she was gone down the hall before I could think of one.

Stepping into the bedroom, the door closed behind me. I yelped out of shock. Honestly, I expected this huge, beautiful, and somewhat creepy place to come alive, so I wasn't sure why I was suprised that doors closed by themselves.

I moved to the closet, and opened it up. There were several sets of loose-fitting tunics made of a very lightweight but sturdy fabric, accented along the hems with an ornate trim. Wasn't too bland, nor too busy. Certainly made a better appearance than my current wardrobe.

There was a large oval bath basin in the corner of the room with water warm to the touch, so I disrobed without ceremony and decided to take advantage of the free bath.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 24th, 2006, 06:16:18 PM
At the very end of the hall, past an ornately carved door, was a sunroom of sorts. s'Il had converted it into a rather large-ish bedroom and workplace. Huge windows afforded one a view of one of the valleys below, walled in by rocky crags and other geological masterpieces. Sunlight streamed in through the windows, giving an amber wash to the interior of the room.

In the center of the room, surrounded by pillows, sat a low table, strewn with small baubles and a few trinkets. A carved incense burner also rested on the tabletop, and the smell of incense filled the room. A few statues lined the walls, both human and beast, as well as heavy drapes and even a tapestry hung elegantly. Intricately woven rugs overlapped eachother to cover the cold stone floor, and helped to further the already very archaic atmosphere.

Another workbench was placed off to the side, this one holding actual tools and materials for the Lupine's occasional fits of constructive creativity. Mechanical bits littered the surface, and a handful of gems lay strewn about as if someone had been picking through them at random, sorting and moving them into piles.

Laying her satchel on the bed in the far corner of the room, s'Il shed her robe with ease. The deep desert suit soon followed, and stepping carefully to a sidedoor, the Lupine retreated into the 'fresher for a much needed shower.

Sanis Prent
Apr 24th, 2006, 07:01:33 PM
I'll admit, the bath felt great. I cleaned the layer of grime I'd earned on the streets off without a second though, and toweled dry upon stepping out. Considering that my old suit was more or less untradeable, I left it in the rubbish bin as I slid on the new tunic.

My room quickly bored me, and I stepped outside to explore the expansive halls in front of me. I saw no sign of my captor, but that didn't exactly put me at ease.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 24th, 2006, 07:16:47 PM
Her body clean, s'Il pulled on her normal layers of clothes; a silk undershirt and a thin, black sarong. A smooth leather corset that ran along the bottom of her ribcage was fitted on over the undershirt, after which the Lupine draped a long woven cloth around her waist and over her shoulders so that it kissed the tops of her knees.

Barefoot, she stepped back into her room and headed for the door. No sound came from its' hinges as she opened it, and she stood in the doorway watching as her 'guest' seemed to take stock of his new surroundings.

She said nothing, instead waiting for him to turn around.

Sanis Prent
Apr 24th, 2006, 07:22:27 PM
I looked at the various decorations in the large room, and ran my hands along the statues and the tapestry, trying to mentally add up how much this sort of spread would cost, or how much it could net if 'acquired'.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 24th, 2006, 07:30:26 PM
s'Il could see the gears in his head turning, and she set off down the hall towards him.

"I hate to be the bearer of ill tidings," she started, her bare feet making no sound on the stone floor, "... but the people 'round here don't rightly think it's in their best interests to buy things from a 'cursed' palace carved into a mountain."

Sanis Prent
Apr 24th, 2006, 07:51:12 PM
"Just gotta find a good tourist like you or me, I guess."

I stepped away from the statue I was near, and looked at s'Il.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 24th, 2006, 07:54:29 PM
"I hate to break it to you, but I'm no tourist."

She slowed to a stop before him. "I would've thought that your failed little trick back in Imram'Lien might have clued you in.

"Unless I've been out here too long and tourists have actually become smarter over the years."

Sanis Prent
Apr 25th, 2006, 06:59:47 PM
"Why is everything so damn literal with you?"

I sighed, fluffing one of the nearby pillows before sitting on it.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 25th, 2006, 07:06:35 PM
"I've no use for idle speculation or conjecture."

Taking a seat opposite from him at the low table, s'Il cleared off a small space in front of her, moving the trnkets to one side and the other in gentle sweeps.

"Of course, I've been woefully out of touch from the rest of the mechinations of the galaxy and its' politics, so I'm sure my bantering skills could be worked on.

"Now though, I have a bit of a more pressing matter - namely, you."

Sanis Prent
Apr 25th, 2006, 07:12:56 PM
"Finally."

I crossed my arms over my chest, ready to hear exactly what was going on in her head.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 25th, 2006, 07:15:38 PM
Letting a bit of silnce fill the air between them, the Lupine stared at him before allowing the fingers of her right hand to idly pluck a small, sunstone carving from the table.

She turned it over in her palm with absent motions.

"What's your name."

Sanis Prent
Apr 25th, 2006, 07:17:41 PM
"Bilford Brazzletaff."

I turned a paperweight on it's side to occupy the time.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 25th, 2006, 07:26:13 PM
"Amusing."

And with the barest flicker of controlled motion, she sent the small carving she'd been holding through the air, straight for his forehead, between his eyes.

Sanis Prent
Apr 25th, 2006, 07:30:07 PM
Somehow I caught it. Even more amazing, I didn't make myself look like an idiot while doing it. I played it cool.

"It's all in the reflexes."

For whatever reason, whether out of pure annoyance or just to play her silly game, I threw it back at her face.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 25th, 2006, 07:38:24 PM
The carving stopped over the middle of the table, held suspended in the air as s'Il canted her head to the side. She allowed herself the luxury of a smile.

"Likewise."

Ignoring the still hovering carving, she went on. "I could be here all day, but the thought bores me. I've no ill intentions toward you, so please."

This time, she asked with honesty instead of the previous tone she'd used.

"What's your name?"

Sanis Prent
Apr 25th, 2006, 07:40:04 PM
Assuming her witch powers could tell the truth, among such things as levitating objects, I relented.

"Sanis Prent."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 25th, 2006, 07:47:14 PM
Satisfied, s'Il reached up to retrieve the carving and set it on the table. She smiled warmly now, and it was easy to see that she wasn't used to having people in her presence.

"It is a pleasure to meet you, Mr. Prent. My name is Loklorien s'Ilancy."

Sanis Prent
Apr 25th, 2006, 08:17:54 PM
"It would've been a pleasure to just get the money and be that much closer to leaving this planet."

I scoffed, thumping the paperweight aside.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 25th, 2006, 08:20:40 PM
This took her aback a little, and s'Il stared at Prent.

"What is so important off-world that you must steal to pay for a way up and out? Is there some pressing business that requires your immediate attentions?

"You must forgive me for my bluntness, but you hardly look like the million-credit businessman rushing to his next meeting."

Sanis Prent
Apr 25th, 2006, 08:26:48 PM
"Some opportunity at a life that I haven't found here. I don't have a thing for thieving, it's just one of the many things I can do to take care of my ends. You want me to tell you I'm sorry I stole from you?

You're a one eyed wizard lady that lives in an opulent haunted mansion. Go ahead and read my mind about all of it. Don't ask me to explain it to you because I don't think you'll get it anyway."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 25th, 2006, 08:33:45 PM
She ticked an eyebrow.

"I don't want an apology from you - I'm doubtful it would be sincere in any case."

Standing, s'Il made her way to the workbench across the room. "I could easily replace what you tried to steal with minimal fuss, but as set in my own ways as I've become, I've also been a bit... " she fumbled for the first time, hesitating only barely before continuing, "... lonely."

Plucking two covered plates from the workbench, the Lupine turned and headed back to the low table.

"What little news I get from the outside is sparse and minimal at best. I enjoy being alone, but I don't like to be blind to the events happening around me."

She sat, placing one of the dishes in front of her and the other in front of Prent.

"Not to mention," she finished, "you looked a little hungry."

Sanis Prent
Apr 25th, 2006, 08:54:02 PM
"So, in exchange for a little gossip, storytelling and other goings-on, you're offering to feed me dinner?"

It was the most ridiculous thing I'd ever heard of, but considering what I knew of the lady so far, it seemed pretty par.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 25th, 2006, 09:00:20 PM
She smiled.

"You could say that.

"As I said before, I don't get out much. It'd be nice to have someone who came by somewhat regularly and kept me abreast of things."

It was true that she already had another person to fall back on, but he came and went as he pleased. And much to her disappointment, his visits were often too few and far between - spent doing other things rather than catching up on the life and times of the Core and what went on elsewhere off of Cathar. But if she could make a small deal with Prent, then perhaps she'd be better off for it.

Sanis Prent
Apr 25th, 2006, 09:04:49 PM
"Well, don't know how much I've got to say. I'm from Nar Shadaa, and just recently made it out of Hutt space."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 26th, 2006, 08:37:06 PM
Taking a small buri fruit from her plate, s'Il popped it into her mouth. She thought as she chewed, and after swallowing, posed a question.

"What about the Core? Is the Empire still growing? And the Emperor; is he still in power, or has someone else come to lead in his stead?"

Sanis Prent
Apr 26th, 2006, 08:42:25 PM
I dug in, getting a few pastries and some of the fruit and cheese.

"The Empire pays lip service in Hutt Space. The clans let them plant the flag and play army, but the Imperial governor doesn't flex anything unless there's a real problem."

I broke a pastry in half, putting a bit of fruit on one half and biting into it.

"Haven't been to the Core, but we get all of the Empire's hologanda, so the Core more or less comes to us. Old Pruney's still behind the wheel. I have no idea how he hasn't kicked the bucket. He was a dinosaur when I was a baby."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 26th, 2006, 08:52:11 PM
Her brows furrowed, and with a hrmph another piece of fruit was swallowed.

"If he's still in power, I doubt that he'll be leaving any time soon. Just the nature of his ways."

s'Il watched him eat, then went on. "And the Rebels? are they still just a murmer, or do you know if they've begun to actually band together into pockets?"

Sanis Prent
Apr 26th, 2006, 08:55:38 PM
"Depends on who you ask."

I shrugged and continued eating.

"Some say they're terrorists, others say they're freedom fighters. I'd say the rumors out my way run thick, since nobody cares too much about stopping the gossip.

I've seen some people packing a lot of heat pass through in the past year or two, and they certainly weren't with the Empire or the clans. Don't know if they're with the Rebellion or not. I couldn't make any money off of serious types like that, and whatever war they're gearing to fight, it certainly isn't mine."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 26th, 2006, 09:04:23 PM
"And if your 'business' takes you to avenues where you must deal with one or the other? What then?"

She waved a slice of bread at him, her eye twinkling, "Or does your stylus-stealing extend to larger fronts - supplying the Imperial beaurocratic monster with writing utensils."

Sanis Prent
Apr 26th, 2006, 09:06:58 PM
I grabbed the piece of bread she teased me with, folding it around a square of cheese.

"Honestly, I don't think about politics. That sort of thing will happen with or without me, so I'm not about to bend over backwards one way or the other."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 26th, 2006, 09:09:50 PM
"You won't be unaffected forever, you know."

The Lupine plucked a second pastry from his plate to replace her stolen bread.

Sanis Prent
Apr 26th, 2006, 09:15:14 PM
"Maybe not, but does it really matter? What about you, then?"

I worked on my makeshift cheese sandwich as I awaited her answer.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 26th, 2006, 09:32:35 PM
"It'll matter when the time comes. Best to be prepared for its' eventual arrival."

She let a bit of silence fill the air before answering his question.

"As for me, I'm afraid there's not much to tell. Lived on Coruscant for a bit when I was younger, but now I live here. Fairly boring, I'm afraid; nothing as colorful as coming from Nar Shaddaa, if I'm to go by what I've heard of it."

Sanis Prent
Apr 26th, 2006, 09:43:45 PM
"So what side are you on, then? If choosing sides is so important and all? I mean, you're not really in a position to call any shots way out here. It seems a bit weird for you to take an interest in which way I lean when you haven't said anything about where you stand."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 30th, 2006, 05:30:17 PM
"I'm in every position to call these 'shots', as you say. Self-preservation dictates that I do my best to find your reasons and motivations for being here, and why you would single me out of a crowd of hundreds.

"And as for what side I am on, I am much like you," she took another bite of the pastry, "... I'm on my own side."

Sanis Prent
Apr 30th, 2006, 05:58:15 PM
"Do you really have to ask? I singled you out because you were the only one on the street who looked like you might have more in your pockets than dirt and bits of string. I'm poor but I'm not stupid. I need a mark that I can get something worthwhile out of."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Apr 30th, 2006, 06:06:00 PM
Her next question was simple.

"Tell me, what are the rewards for one who finds a Jedi?"

Sanis Prent
Apr 30th, 2006, 08:25:25 PM
"Finds a Jedi? You mean like, bounty hunting?"

I honestly didn't know anything about that. Albeit, I'd seen my fair share of hunters on Nar Shadaa, its just that jobs like that are a few rungs up the ladder.

"I have no idea. Didn't even know there were any left."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
May 4th, 2006, 07:19:59 PM
"Well then," she finished up the last of the pastry, "let's say for argument's sake that you found one.

"What would you do?"

Sanis Prent
May 4th, 2006, 07:25:36 PM
"I guess I'd ask my three wishes and see if they came true."

I shrugged. I had very little knowledge about that sort of thing. The Empire had called them some kind of evil cult, and depending on who you asked, it ranged from powerful mystics, to lethal martial artists, to simple folk stories. Nobody really knew. At least, nobody that I knew of.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
May 4th, 2006, 07:34:36 PM
s'Il smiled faintly at his answer. Somehow it seemed to fit what she'd seen so far of his disposition.

"Fair enough."

The Lupine settled back on one of the cushions behind her, staring at Sanis from across the table.

"I would have thought that, given your predicaments, you would try to gain whatever bounty was placed on such a person."

Sanis Prent
May 4th, 2006, 07:37:25 PM
"I'd just rather get my wishes granted and avoid a fight. I'm having trouble affording food and clothes. Having however many guns I'd need for that is a stretch."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
May 4th, 2006, 07:47:02 PM
A small chuckle.

"I suppose you are right. Pragmatism is not a lost art these days after all - it's nice to see someone at least practicing it."

A bit of mirth shone in her eyes for a moment.

"I'm sorry to say though, that my talents extend only so far in certain arenas; pulling money, food, and clothes out of thin air is something I cannot do."

Sanis Prent
May 4th, 2006, 08:04:30 PM
As if she hadn't telegraphed it enough. I'd arrived at the conclusion a few minutes earlier.

"So you're a Jedi, huh?"

I crossed my arms and eyed her in a manner of reappraisal.

"Why would you bait me about the bounty hunting? If I wasn't thinking about it before, I gotta admit I'm thinking about it now."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
May 4th, 2006, 08:13:57 PM
"You're hardly in a position to gain any sort of upper hand."

She disregarded this new stare he gave her, mentally waving it off.

"As it stands now though, I'm nothing but a former practitioner. A few odd tricks here and there, nothing more."

Sanis Prent
May 4th, 2006, 08:21:24 PM
"So that explains putting down stakes in the armpit of the galaxy. You're on the lam."

I glanced around the room again, and looked back at her.

"Why are you telling me this? I know you don't trust me, so the only other reason I can think of is you're going to kill me anyway."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
May 11th, 2006, 08:10:59 PM
"I'm not going to kill you," she smiled, "and you're not going to turn me in."

Sanis Prent
May 11th, 2006, 08:17:06 PM
"So, you'll just keep me around here forever as your wayfaring indentured storyteller?"

I crossed my arms and smirked.

"Sounds like one of those bad novels that housewives buy."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
May 11th, 2006, 08:21:59 PM
"Oh I won't keep you here," she waved his comment away.

"I was going to give you the credits you needed for a few fairs as it was.

"Unless you wanted to stay here."

Sanis Prent
May 11th, 2006, 08:49:48 PM
"Don't take it as an insult, but I'm just not cut out for living like this. I mean, being on one planet the whole time, not being kidnapped by alluring one-eyed mystics and being fed good food in a big, beautiful mansion. I have no idea what I'm saying."

My face went blank, and I shrugged, taking a drink.

"I just started getting away from Nar Shadaa and who I was, and I've just got to keep getting away. I don't even know what that really means. I'm stealing today what I need for tomorrow. Sometimes that works and sometimes, I get stuck."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
May 20th, 2006, 01:22:44 AM
"There's nothing wrong with staying in one place for any extended amount of time," nudging her plate forward, s'Il settled back a small bit, "Even I don't stay here all the time - I get my traveling in when the fancy strikes."

She let a minute scowl cross her features before going on.

"But, I can understand wanting to get as far away from something as possible."

Sanis Prent
May 23rd, 2006, 07:16:50 PM
"How do you get about without a ship? You don't strike me as the fare on a a ferry type. Whereabouts do you travel?"

I was starting to relax around s'Il, which I wasn't sure was a good or a bad thing. I did seem to believe that she wouldn't kill me now, so that was good at least.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
May 31st, 2006, 08:38:09 PM
"Oh, I have a ship; I just don't use it that often. Mostly just to visit a few people here and there, but that's about the extent of my offworld travels nowadays."

She used the pause in their conversation to stand, taking up both of their plates and clearing them from the table.

She gave him an amused look from over her shoulder before disappearing around a corner, "I'm more or less a hermit for now. Who knows what the future holds, but right now I'm happy here."

Sanis Prent
May 31st, 2006, 09:12:01 PM
"Well, I can't say I really understand it, but I guess I could let myself settle out at least a little in a place this nice."

As s'Il moved out of eyesight, I leaned over the table, pocketing one of the gemstones as I moved another curio about.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jun 1st, 2006, 08:11:38 AM
Coming back empty handed, s'Il once again resumed her seat across the table from him.

"I'll make you a deal then," she said, making herself more comfortable, "When you 'make it big', or even before then, you are welcome to use my home for a stopover whenever the need arises. It's large enough, and while the landing pad here is somewhat outdated, it is certainly still servicable. All I would ask in return is that you bring me news. I would ask that any business you decide to conduct while here would be legitimate though.

"You will be welcome to stay as long as needed."

Sanis Prent
Jun 1st, 2006, 08:16:43 PM
"Heh. I think you've got more faith in me than I have."

What exactly was she doing putting any kind of stock in me in the first place? I was clothed and fed on her good graces alone, and she was already skipping ahead to the part where I made it big.

"Alright, you got a deal."

I extended a hand with a lopsided smile on my face.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jun 1st, 2006, 08:25:03 PM
Returning his smile, the Lupine took his hand in a firm grip.

Sanis Prent
Jun 6th, 2006, 09:06:35 PM
Present Day

"Hahaha, I'm not sure whether to laugh or be embarrassed."

I tossed the book back to s'Il and shrugged a goofy look off my face.

"You were definitely the strangest person I ever marked, that's for sure. I don't know why, but it seemed like everything took a tilt upward after that. I still haven't made it big, but I've got a ship that runs, and a good crew more or less. In some wierd way, I think you're to thank for that."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jun 6th, 2006, 09:13:24 PM
She lofted a brow, a grin creeping onto her lips.

"I highly doubt that.

"You don't give yourself enough credit; if you hadn't been so determined to get off Cathar - or off Nar Shaddaa for that matter, you'd be elsewhere right now, and certainly not as well off, I would think."

Sanis Prent
Jun 6th, 2006, 09:22:34 PM
"Maybe so. I'll settle for the assumption that you're my albatross, at least."

I leaned back, and then started up again.

"Oh!"

Where was it? I started fidgeting in my jacket pockets.

"That reminds me. There's something that I have. Something I, uh, stole from you."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jun 8th, 2006, 08:11:49 PM
s'Il set her stylus down.

"It's funny; I knew you'd taken something from me, but now I can't quite recall just what it was. It's been too long I suppose."

Sanis Prent
Jun 8th, 2006, 08:54:11 PM
I removed a small object from my jacket, placing it on the desk.

"I had a mind to hock it when I got back to town and get fare, and whatever else I could barter for. For some reason, I kept it. Always said I'd sell it when I needed to, but I never got to that point."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jun 8th, 2006, 09:03:53 PM
Plucking the gem from the desktop with slender fingers, s'Il held it up for a cursory inspection.

"Well," she started, "I'm glad you kept it. Though I'm not really sure how much you would've gotten for it.

"It's a focusing crystal ... " A ruefall smile as she set it back down, "... or, well, was going to be one until you took it."

Sanis Prent
Jun 8th, 2006, 09:15:50 PM
"Focusing?"

My eyes fell on her lightsaber.

"Oh. Well, that makes sense. Had I known that, I probably would have fenced it. You realize how much money is in the Jedi relics business?"

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jun 8th, 2006, 09:27:44 PM
The Lupine winked at him.

"Lucky for me then, that you didn't know what it was until now."

Sanis Prent
Jun 8th, 2006, 09:28:48 PM
"Shouldn't bother you. You've got a mighty servicable lightsaber as it stands."

I grinned at her, reclining against the pillows again.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jun 9th, 2006, 06:34:41 AM
"Says you.

"I had plans to construct a final one, but I suppose I never really got around to it."

She tapped at the sabre gauntlet that had been holding her loose papers down.

"This was really more of an adaptation to the weapons on Cathar. And the second is my old practice sabre - it's getting too old for me to use without risking any sort of injury."

Sanis Prent
Jun 12th, 2006, 07:36:01 PM
"Oh."

I was a bit of a fish out of water around all this Jedi stuff. I'd have to take her word for it.

"Well anyway, I figured it had gotten me about as far as I could ask. That, and I figured I should just turn it in before you eventually found it out - what with the cat living on the canary's ship now."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jun 13th, 2006, 09:05:04 PM
Lofting a brow, s'Il idly thumbed through one of the books sitting open on the table.

"You're such a thoughtful man," she smiled.

Sanis Prent
Jun 13th, 2006, 09:13:00 PM
"Not many a demand for thoughtful men out here so far from the core and all things civilized."

I harumphed, and crossed my arms haughtily.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jun 13th, 2006, 09:21:24 PM
"And humble about it, too," she teased further.

"Are you sure you're in the right profession?"

Sanis Prent
Jun 13th, 2006, 09:24:23 PM
"Well, I tried finding something I could do that would pay for my expensive lifestyle and have me preferably not doing any work whatsoever. I haven't found that job yet, so I'm just biding my time till that day."

I shrugged with a sideways grin on my face.

"They have folks in the core that do that, but they usually play holo-chess all day and look at paintings."

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jun 17th, 2006, 12:35:27 AM
s'Il let a laugh escape her lips.

"I'd pay money to see you in a suit, all gussied up with that mop on your head actually brushed with a comb instead of your fingers."

The laugh turned into a small chuckle, and gave him a wink. "Maybe then you'd look halfway decent."

Sanis Prent
Jun 17th, 2006, 11:48:00 AM
"You say that as if I don't look completely ravishing as it is."

I fluffed the collar of my jacket. It wasn't exactly the cutting edge of fashion, but I'd moved up more than a bit from the hand-me-downs I wore when we first met, or when I was scratching a living on Nar Shadaa.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jun 17th, 2006, 12:27:00 PM
"Ravishing? That's an interesting choice of words."

Plucking up her stylus, s'Il wrote a few words. "If you're so irresistable to the fairer sex, I have to wonder why I'm not throwing myself at you right now."

Sanis Prent
Jun 17th, 2006, 01:02:59 PM
"You're living here on my ship, aren't you?"

I grinned at that.