PDA

View Full Version : SW Marathon

Darth McBain
Mar 27th, 2006, 10:18:53 PM
Well I finally did it... My better half is visiting her mother and she took the little padawan with her, so I bit the bullet and did a Star Wars marathon... I had the house to myself (well, technically not - I had my dog Kenobi with me) - so I pulled all the shades, cranked up the volume, and watched Episodes I through VI, including both volumes of Clone Wars.

I have done the OT all in one shot a few times before, but never the prequels. Then I figured, if I'm gonna blow a day to watch Eps I-III in a row, let's go all out and watch 'em all.

I started it about 7 in the morning and went clear through until midnight. It was a blast, but man, it makes one wonder if there can be too much of a good thing. Sitting in front of a TV for 17 straight hours, broken only by a few pee breaks and taking the dog for a walk was a bit much. I think if I were to do something like this again I'd do 3 and 3 over two days, or maybe one movie a night for 7 nights (counting clone wars as a movie).

It was really cool to see Anakin coming full circle. Of course I've seen each of these movies tons of times, so I didn't really catch anything new, but one thing that seemed to resonate with me was how at the end of ROTJ, Vader is basically being given a second chance. He witnessed Mace being electrocuted in ROTS (though Mace was deflecting it) and made his choice to turn to the Dark Side. Here he sees his son being electrocuted and makes his choice to return to the light. His first decision was the wrong one - this time he has the chance to make it right. Both events are very similar and cause him to change... Another thing I had never really caught before was also at the end of ROTJ, when Luke is hiding in the shadows and being tempted by Vader - his face is almost perfectly divided into dark and light - showing how he's being pulled in both directions.

Ah, I love these movies. The marathon was great, and I'm glad I did it, but I think that will probably be the last time - it took a lot out of me...

JMK
Mar 28th, 2006, 08:13:24 AM
I always said I'd do the marathon too, and I will, but if I'm going to do it, it will be when I own a house and not an apartment. I want to have a bigger screen, and be allowed to crank the volume. There's nothing more irritating than watching a movie quietly when it's begging to be blasted.

I came close to going for it once, but then realized that it would be well over 14 hours in front of the tv and decided not to do it.

Congrats though McBain!

As for the Luke being split evenly with light/dark shadows, I believe Anakin gets the same treatment in RotS when he's talking with Yoda about his premonitions, but I could be wrong. And it possibly happens a second time in his speeder when he's going to confront Mace at Palpy's office. You're right though, the parallels from one trilogy to the next are amazing.

Morgan Evanar
Mar 28th, 2006, 09:26:25 AM
I'd get bored during Episode 1 and the whole thing would fall apart from there :(

JMK
Mar 28th, 2006, 09:43:57 AM
:lol

If I did it the way McBain did, I'd start TPM around 7am, but doze off and wake up in time for the duel at the end.

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 28th, 2006, 09:45:35 AM
I think splitting it into two or three days is the way to go. There's just too much to watch. :uhoh

We should call you Darth "Ironman" McBain now. ;)

Vega Van-Derveld
Mar 28th, 2006, 10:05:41 AM
I've done an OT marathon, but like Morgan I would end up getting bored and wandering off when TPM came on >_<

Darth McBain
Mar 28th, 2006, 10:12:51 AM
Originally posted by JMK
:lol

If I did it the way McBain did, I'd start TPM around 7am, but doze off and wake up in time for the duel at the end.

That's actually kinda close to how I did it - I was still nursing a hangover from the night before. The aspirin finally kicked in right around the time of the Maul/Obi-Wan/Qui-Gon duel and then I was able to enjoy the rest...

JMK
Mar 28th, 2006, 11:01:28 AM
Brave man getting up at 7am with a hangover and toughing it out!

The closest experience I have to the SW marathon (other than OT marathons which I've done a couple times) is last year watching The Two Towers and Return of the King consecutively. It was great, but it took all day and felt kind of guilty about wasting an entire day on the couch.

Katarina Gordislava
Mar 28th, 2006, 12:22:50 PM
The closest thing I've done is watching all of the special features on the extended editions of RotK and TTT back to back. ^_^;