PDA

View Full Version : WoD character/plot discussion

Morgan Evanar
Mar 20th, 2006, 11:06:43 PM
As nice as a wolf is they really can't play with Vampires so I sort of don't see the point. It really is a one or the other deal :(

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 20th, 2006, 11:23:20 PM
Well, we could change it a bit if we wanted to, couldn't we?

Morgan Evanar
Mar 20th, 2006, 11:33:13 PM
It would make me a sad Panda and also would be highly unbalanced twoard the wofls.

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 20th, 2006, 11:46:37 PM
We should have a backstory written to set the stage.

Basically as I understand it, the end of the World is nigh, and humanity is screwed. Yes?

Vampires:

Kindred battles Kindred, clan battles clan, Camarilla battles Sabbat, as they have for eons. Vampiric feuds begun during the nights of Charlemagne play themselves out on the streets of New York City; an insult whispered in the court of the Sun King may find itself answered by a corporate takeover in Sao Paolo. The ever-swelling cities provide countless opportunities for feeding, powermongering - and war.

Increasingly, vampires speak of Gehenna - the long-prophesied night of apocalypse when the most ancient vampires, the mythical Antediluvians, will rise from their hidden lairs to devour all the younger vampires. This Gehenna, so the Kindred say, will presage the end of the world, as vampires and mortals alike are consumed in an inexorable tide of blood. Some vampires strive to prevent Gehenna, some fatalistically await it, and still others consider it a myth. Those who believe in Gehenna, however, say that the end time comes very soon - perhaps in a matter of years.

Garou:

The Garou are fighting to keep the Apocalypse from coming, but they are dying out and losing the war. Some tribes believe the coming Apocalypse will be the end of everything so fight desperately for even the smallest victory. Other tribes believe the side that wins at the final battle will be able to reshape the world in its own ideal. Some Garou blame the Wyrm for all evils and some blame the Weaver for spinning the world into stasis. Thus the Garou can agree on nothing and will not provide a unified front in the coming End Times.

Demons are basically leaking back into the world from the Abyss and taking human hosts to survive. I'm not sure what their role is in the coming apocalypse, except that some of them want to save humanity, and the others want to just see it all destroyed.

--

I would imagine that we could make it so there are not a lot of Garou left - infighting and such would have lessened the ranks. The Vampires who want to keep the apocalypse from happening might be interested in making sure the Garou are keeping the balance like they're supposed to. And demons would just be around to stick pitchforks in things when they feel like it.

Maybe?

Vega Van-Derveld
Mar 21st, 2006, 07:43:55 AM
Yes, the old World of Darkness campaign literally ended in the end of the world - but the various games within it (e.g. Vampire, Werewolf, Demon) all had very different ends. Gehenna doesn't seem to address Garou at all - the Antideluvians rise, devour all kindred and kine, but there isn't any mention of Garou. Obviously, vampires don't believe in the Wyrm, Weaver, etc. Most people just view the whole thing as myth anyway! For instance, the Camarilla deny that the Antideluvians are still alive, if they even existed at all.

That all aside... I don't see any problem with people playing characters from all aspects of the oWoD, but it would be pretty rare occasions when they interact with one another. There are instances obviously - the Garou tribe 'Silent Striders' were supposedly cast out of their home by the Antideluvian vampire Set; the Uktena have an interest in all things mythical, ranging from vampires to ghosts, etc... but like I say, just quite rare.

EDIT: As for a backstory, or an over-arching plot we could run with... we have the usual Camarilla/Sabbat jyhad, maybe we could have some conflict between the kindred and the kindred of the east, maybe mass Anarch revolt.

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 21st, 2006, 09:44:21 AM
I like the idea of playing the Garou as a dying race, and the vamps being the dominant part of the roleplay. Maybe go a bit Underworld with it and have the vampires trying to exterminate the Garou once and for all?

Vega Van-Derveld
Mar 21st, 2006, 09:51:04 AM
It would make sense that there would be more vampires. The Garou society seems a lot more unruly. While the vampires have the Camarilla keeping a degree of stability among a large number of the clans, the Garou don't appear to have any equivalent. They don't have any of the unity that the 3 major factions of the kindred have.

I can't see the Camarilla interfering in Garou business, so long as the Garou steer clear of kindred society. But while I can't think of any reason for the Sabbat to attack the Garou, I woudn't put it past them.

Morgan Evanar
Mar 21st, 2006, 09:51:15 AM
Again you are not listening. Garou are HUGE trouble for all but the oldest of Vampires. Single Garou have taken down groups of 10th gen vampires with ease before. The official and wisest course of action regarding Wofls is AVOIDANCE. They've got natural equivilents to Celerity, Potence and Fortitude. Want to know how most vampires survive a garou encounter? They sacrifice a member of the group and run oh god run.

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 21st, 2006, 09:52:08 AM
I don't know how I can be not listening if all you said before was you were a sad panda. :mad

So people can play garou but no one else will RP with them, which is what I thought you were saying before. In which case I still am not sure why we can't tweak it, except that the fabric of society will implode.

Vega Van-Derveld
Mar 21st, 2006, 09:57:51 AM
Garou could play happily with other Garou?

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 21st, 2006, 10:00:47 AM
I'm not trying to upset the WoD universe or anything, merely attempting to understand it.

I wanted to make Katarina into a mystic of the greatest degree - Like Blind Molly from dead poetry was. I may change her to be a vamp, since our character pool isn't that big and being unable to RP with any vamps would be...sucky.

Vega Van-Derveld
Mar 21st, 2006, 10:05:38 AM
I don't have a full understanding of it all myself, mainly because I've only taken an interest in the Vampire side and, like I say, there is very little overlap between the various games. They are fairly stand-alone. They are just generally so wrapped up in their own concerns that they don't have much time for or interest in others.

If you're looking for a kind of epic war / battle of the species conflict, though, that could be achieved with Camarilla vs Sabbat (or Anarch), or Camarilla vs Kindred of the East. You really don't need enemies when your friends are vampires ^_^;

Mandy with an I
Mar 21st, 2006, 10:13:23 AM
So, basically, I should scrap all of my Demon stuff and just bow down the Vampire-making Machine? Otherwise I'll be playing with myself

:cry

Vega Van-Derveld
Mar 21st, 2006, 10:21:11 AM
I wouldn't say that. The way I see it, we have only just kicked off this idea. There is currently only one roleplay going in the WoD universe. There is no reason why things other than Vampire shouldn't flourish, just because initial interest has been in Vampire. I know, for instance, that Kitty and Dale's proposed characters have no tie whatsoever to the kindred society.

Erzsebet
Mar 21st, 2006, 10:33:41 AM
:|

I can't see it really working; all the Demon information is scant at best, and how I wanted to play Erzsebet can easily be turned to a Vampire (I decided she would be of the Slayer House, Ravener faction - basically a Demon who demands blood as a show of Faith.).

It just seems like we should change it from WoD to VtM, since I have a feeling that's what the majority of people would be playing. Plus, I don't want to spend time looking up a ton of information, making a character sheet then end up with no way to work my little demon into the fray :(

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 21st, 2006, 12:36:41 PM
Maybe I'm just being stubborn but I don't see why we couldn't play it as VtM with a smattering of other types of characters, such as the occasional demon and or werewolf. Since we are just starting out we could skew the Garou stats down so that one Garou is equal to the average vampire.

Can't we? Or am I not listening again?

Morgan Evanar
Mar 21st, 2006, 08:00:37 PM
I dunno anything about Demons since they're not heavily adressed in White Wolf lore.

Good gamemasters do throw in a smattering of other stuff, and it's covered in the guide books, but they're almost all NPCs, or temporarily handed to the control of another player who isn't present or is trusted.

Vega Van-Derveld
Mar 22nd, 2006, 05:00:47 AM
One idea which I suggested to LD, in PMs, was something which came up in the last VtM game - vampires having an interest in werewolf blood. That could be one way they could interact. In that instance the Prince just wanted a sample of werewolves blood for some reason, but I can see the Tremere, with blood magic, or the Sabbat, maybe Tzimisce with Vissicitude, wanting to try and make some use of a docile Garou (which was the character that LD was pitching to me). Particularly the latter, who might try and unleash some Garou superweapon on the Camarilla.

Oh and incase you didn't notice, I split this thread from the other main one, just to free it up of clutter :)

Sierra
Mar 22nd, 2006, 09:53:50 AM
Also - Chicago ppls: let's start something :cool

Morgan Evanar
Mar 22nd, 2006, 12:15:35 PM
Word. I am, however, too durned lazy to register another account. I will be using this one >D

Miranda Tarkin
Mar 22nd, 2006, 06:30:51 PM
Yes. We do need to start something don't we ^^

any ideas @_@

Erzsebet
Mar 22nd, 2006, 06:35:21 PM
New Years party? Sort of have a "theme" to all the starting WoD threads?

Ps. We need more Sabbat *waves little Go! Team Sabbat! flag* :(

Bandage
Mar 22nd, 2006, 09:18:50 PM
Actually, from what I've gathered, some Garou don't really worry so much about the Apocalypse. Some are strickly worried about survival. Such is the Bone Gnawer tribe. And if the area that my character lives in has a tendency to harbor Vamps, then Jonas will probably either keep his nose to the streets, or keep slight contact, just to keep the info open. After all, Gnawers are some of the best informants around, being that virtually no one suspects them. And this ring of information could more than once be of some interest to a Vampire. So honestly, Jonas will have no trouble playing along with the Vamps, but as more of a freelance informant. Note that he doesn't work for the Vamps, he merely gives them tidbits of info. Tit for tat.

Vega Van-Derveld
Mar 23rd, 2006, 04:17:25 AM
Originally posted by Erzsebet
New Years party? Sort of have a "theme" to all the starting WoD threads?

It would be amusing to have a kind of opposite to the Toreador art party, something more rough and and rugged :D

Jonas Bellinger
Mar 24th, 2006, 10:18:33 PM
Yeah, I gots an idea. Let's just boogie.....like we are doing. And we collide together. Some of the best meetings are often on accident, or total coinsedence(sp). I just hope I don't get hit by that pretty car of yours....would suck to be mighty Garou and still become roadkill....

And with only one Garou, I guess I'll have to play nicely with myself......wow, that came out wrong....

But if anyone needs any info about Chicago's seedy underbelly happenings, see me.