PDA

View Full Version : What EU have you read?

Atreyu
Mar 11th, 2006, 04:07:18 AM
(I swear we've done like a dozen of these threads over the years, but another one can't hurt)

So, how much of the Expanded Universe have you read? Nothing? All of it? Parts here and there?

Which ones did you like best? Like least? Fav author, least fav author etc etc etc.

(doesn't have to be restricted to just books - I reckon comic books and the like are also acceptable).

EDIT: For those of you who can't remember book names and whatnot, here's a chronology of novels from TFN:

http://www.theforce.net/books/reviews/novels_chrono.asp

Atreyu
Mar 11th, 2006, 04:17:09 AM
I'll start:

What I've read:
* Thrawn Trilogy by Timothy Zahn
- Heir to the Empire
- Dark Force Rising
- The Last Command

* X-Wing Series by Michael A. Stackpole & Aaron Allston
- Rogue Squadron
- Wedge's Gamble
- The Krytos Trap
- The Bacta War
- Wraith Squadron
- Iron Fist
- Solo Command
- Isard's Revenge
- Starfighters of Adumar

* I, Jedi by Michael A. Stackpole

Errr, I think that's it. I haven't read anything more since 2001.

Zahn was probably my favourite - the Thrawn trilogy was just awesome and was a great start to the EU novels that all followed.

The X-Wing series was cool too, though as it progressed I did at times find it hard to follow. I've been informed since that the series also co-existed with the comic books, so maybe that's why (since I never read comics).

I, Jedi was curious - a SW novel from a first-person perspective. I enjoyed it, though Corran Horn did come across as a bit overpowerful for a Jedi of his supposed level.

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 11th, 2006, 04:50:38 AM
Nothing whatsoever! ^_^;

I like the sound of I, Jedi though and have been meaning to read it for some time.

Park Kraken
Mar 11th, 2006, 05:28:07 AM
Thrawn Triology
- Heir to the Empire
- Dark Force Rising
- The Last Commmand

Hand of Thrawn Duology
- Spectre of the Past
- Vision of the Future

Black Fleet Crisis
- Before the Storm
- Shield of Lies
- Tyrant's Test

X-wing Series
- Rogue Squadron
- Wedge's Gamble
- Krytos Virus
- The Bacta War
- Wraith Squadron
- Iron Fist
- Solo Command
- Isard's Revenge
- Starfighters of Adumar

Truce at Bakura

I, Jedi

Crystal Star

Planet of Twilight

The Corellian Triology
- Ambush at Corellia
- Assault on Selonia
- Showdown on Centerpoint

The Han Solo Triology
- The Paradise Snare
- The Hutt Gamble
- Some other book

The New Rebellion

Some of the Junior Jedi Knights books

Some of the Young Jedi Knights books

The Daala Triology
- Something book name
- Another book name
- Champions of the Force

All 25 books of the NJO series, not including the two e-books.

The Killik Triology
- The Joiner King
- The Unseen Queen
- The Swarm War

And that's about it for the novels.

I've read some of the Rogue Squadron comics, and the Tales series, along with the Dark Empire series.

Mu Satach
Mar 11th, 2006, 06:15:08 PM
long long long time ago the Zahn trilogy

been too busy to try anything else

Mandy with an I
Mar 11th, 2006, 06:40:56 PM
"I, Jedi" - only read part of the first chapter, died of boredom and it has sat on my shelf ever since :x

"Jedi Trial" - got half-way through it, set it down and am trying to pick it up. Much better, imo, then "I, Jedi".

"Tales of the Bounty Hunters" - waiting to be read.

Star Wars: Tales GN 3 and 5 - love them - I like that there's a good mix of stories in them. The only "american" style comic I read.

Droo
Mar 11th, 2006, 09:16:39 PM
Truce at Bakura

Doc Milo
Mar 12th, 2006, 07:06:42 AM
I've read most of it, except for the comics and kids books. I haven't read the most recent books, though, or a lot of the prequel-era EU. Of the comics, the only thing I've read was "Dark Empire."

My least favorite was "Dark Empire" and "Crystal Star"

Hated "Dark Empire" because of the whole resurrected Emperor/clone hopping and Luke turns to the dark side storyline. To me, that entire story just totally invalidates Luke's victory in Return of the Jedi.

And I hated "The Crystal Star" because it just didn't feel "Star Warsian" to me.

My favorites have to be the Timothy Zahn books, the Thrawn Trilogy and the Hand of Thrawn Duology.

Min Sarran
Mar 12th, 2006, 05:58:16 PM
I read a few books from Jude Watson's Jedi Apprentice series to my younger brother.

And I vaguely remember being stuck in a tent in the Okanagan reading something to do with an orphaned brother and sister who were Force sensitive and who may or may not have been on a planet which tried to eat them. Han, Leia, and Luke make a cameo appearance and feed them pink wriggly things. There were definetly pink wriggly things, I remember that part with perfect clarity.

Jedieb
Mar 13th, 2006, 08:21:19 AM
I've read so much of this stuff I don't know how close this list is to being complete. I couldn't get the TFN link to work right now so pulled a list off jedinet. So complete with a timeline, title, authot and publication date, here's my tentative list:

Jedi Apprentice #1 - The Rising Force David Wolverton (Cliff Nielsen) 05/99
-44y Jedi Apprentice #2 - The Dark Rival Jude Watson (Cliff Nielsen) 05/99
-33y Darth Maul - Saboteur James Luceno (David Stevenson) 02/15/01
-32.5y Cloak of Deception James Luceno (Steven D. Anderson) 04/29/01
-32y Darth Maul - Shadow Hunter Michael Reaves (David Stevenson) 02/06/01
-32y Episode I - The Phantom Menace Terry Brooks (Terry Brooks) 05/05/99
-31y Untitled - Outbound Flight Project Novel Timothy Zahn 11/05
-29y Rogue Planet Greg Bear (David Stephenson) 05/02/00
-29y Jedi Apprentice - Special Edition #1 - Deceptions Jude Watson (Cliff Nielsen) 07/01
-22y The Approaching Storm Alan Dean Foster (David Stephenson) 01/02
-22y Episode II - Attack of the Clones R. A. Salvatore (Steven D. Andeson, David Stephenson) 05/02
-22y Shatterpoint Matthew Stover (Steven D. Anderson) 06/03
-22y Legacy of the Jedi Jude Watson (David Mattingly) 08/03
-21y The Cestus Deception Steven Barnes (Steven D. Anderson) 06/04
-20y Medstar #1: Battle Surgeons Michael Reeves & Steve Perry (David Seeley) 06/04 (Read about 100 pages, then just gave up on it.)
-19y Labyrinth of Evil James Luceno 01/05
-19y Episode III - Revenge of the Sith Matthew Stover 05/05
-10y The Paradise Snare Ann C. Crispin (Drew Struzan) 05/97
-5y The Hutt Gambit Ann C. Crispin (Drew Struzan) 08/10/97
-5y Lando Calrissian and the Mindharp of Sharu L. Neil Smith 07/83
-5y Lando Calrissian and the Flamewind of Oseon L. Neil Smith 10/83
-5y Lando Calrissian and the Starcave of ThonBoka L. Neil Smith 12/83
-5y Han Solo at Star's End Brian Daley 04/79
-5y Han Solo's Revenge Brian Daley 11/79
-5y Han Solo and the Lost Legacy Brian Daley 09/80
-5y Rebel Dawn Ann C. Crispin (Drew Struzan) 03/02/98
Various Tales from the Empire Peter Schweighofer (editor) (Matt Busch) 11//04/97
Various Tales from the New Republic Peter Schweighofer, Craig Carey (Paul Youll) 11/23/99
0y Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina Kevin J. Anderson (editor) (Stephen Youll) 08/95
+0y Dark Forces - Soldier for the Empire William C. Dietz (Dean Williams, cover and interiors) 02/97
0y Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (Star Wars) George Lucas (ghostwritten by Alan Dean Foster) 12/76
+0.5y Star Wars: Galaxy of Fear
#1 Eaten Alive John Whitman (Steve Chorney) 02/97 (First few pages, then just gave up on it. Goosebumps for Star Wars, ugh)
#3 Planet Plague John Whitman (Steve Chorney) 04/97
+2y Spilnter of the Mind's Eye Alan Dean Foster (Ralph McQuarrie) 04/78
+3y The Empire Stikes Back Donald F. Glut 05/80
+3y Tales of the Bounty Hunters Kevin J. Anderson (editor) (Stephen Youll) 11/02/96
+3.5y Shadows of the Empire Steven Perry (Drew Struzan) HC: 04/96
+4y (FB 0y) The Bounty Hunter Wars #1: The Mandalorian Armor K. W. Jeter (Stephen Youll) 06/01/98 (Read less than a hundred and gave up on this Fett love fest)
+4y (FB 0y) The Bounty Hunter Wars #2: Slave Ship K. W. Jeter (Stephen Youll) 10/06/98 (Bought it, never bothered to read it.)
+4y Return of the Jedi James Kahn 06/83
+4y Tales from Jabba's Palace Kevin J. Anderson (editor) (Stephen Youll) 12/95
+4y The Truce at Bakura Kathy Tyers (Drew Struzan) 12/93
+5y Dark Forces - Rebel Agent William C. Dietz (Ezra Tucker, cover and interiors) 03/13/98
+5y Dark Forces - Jedi Knight William C. Dietz (Dave Dorman, cover and interiors) 10/07/98, delayed to 10/14/98
+6.5y X-Wing #1: Rogue Squadron Michael A. Stackpole (Paul Youll) 02/96
+6.75y X-Wing #2: Wedge's Gamble Michael A. Stackpole (Paul Youll) 06/05/96
+7y X-Wing #3: The Krytos Trap Michael A. Stackpole (Paul Youll) 09/20/96
+7.25y X-Wing #4: The Bacta War Michael A. Stackpole (Paul Youll) 01/05/97
+7.5y X-Wing #5: Wraith Squadron Aaron Allston (Paul Youll) 02/98 (This is where I started to lose interest in this series. Never finished this one.)
+7.75y X-Wing #6: Iron Fist Aaron Allston (Paul Youll) 07/98 (Bought it, but I can't remember if I ever read it.)
+8y The Courtship of Princess Leia David Wolverton (Drew Struzan, hc and pb covers) HC: 05/94
+8y Tatooine Ghost Troy Denning (Steven D. Anderson) 03/03
+9y Heir to the Empire Timothy Zahn (Tom Jung) HC: 04/91
PB: 02/92
+9.5y Dark Force Rising Timothy Zahn (Tom Jung) HC: 04/92
PB: 02/93
+10y The Last Command Timothy Zahn (Tom Jung) HC: 04/93
PB: 02/94
+11y Jedi Academy #1: Jedi Search Kevin J. Anderson (John Alvin) 03/94
+11.25y Jedi Academy #2: Dark Apprentice Kevin J. Anderson (John Alvin) 07/94
+11.5y Jedi Academy #3: Champions of the Force Kevin J. Anderson (John Alvin) 10/94
+11-12y I, Jedi Michael A. Stackpole (Drew Struzan) 04/21/98
+12y Children of the Jedi Barbara Hambly (Drew Struzan) HC: 04/95
+12.5y Darksaber Kevin J. Anderson (Drew Struzan) HC:11/95
+13y Planet of Twilight Barbara Hambly (Drew Struzan) HC: 04/97
+14y The Crystal Star Vonda N. McIntyre (Drew Struzan) HC: 11/94
+16y Black Fleet Crisis: Before the Storm Michael Paul Kube-McDowell (Drew Struzan) 04/96
+16.25y Black Fleet Crisis: Shield of Lies Michael Paul Kube-McDowell (Drew Struzan) 09/96
+16.5y Black Fleet Crisis: Tyrant's Test Michael Paul Kube-McDowell (Drew Struzan) 01/02/97
+17y The New Rebellion Kristine Kathryn Rusch (Drew Struzan) HC: 11/14/96
+18y Corellian: Ambush at Corellia Roger MacBride Allen (Drew Struzan) 03/95
+18y Corellian: Assault on Selonia Roger MacBride Allen (Drew Struzan) 07/95
+18y Corellian: Showdown at Centerpoint Roger MacBride Allen (Drew Struzan) 10/95
+19y The Hand of Thrawn: Specter of the Past Timothy Zahn (Drew Struzan) HC: 11/13/97
+19y The Hand of Thrawn: Vision of the Future Timothy Zahn (Drew Struzan) HC: 09/01/98
PB: 09/99
+21y Survivor's Quest Timothy Zahn 02/04
+22y Junior Jedi Knights #1 - The Golden Globe Nancy Richardson (Eric Lee) 10/95 (These were about Anakin and eventually they introduced the character Tahiri who was featured prominently in the NJO)
+22y Junior Jedi Knights #2 - Lyric's World Nancy Richardson (Eric Lee) 01/96
+22y Junior Jedi Knights #3 - Promises Nancy Richardson (Eric Lee) 04/96
+22y Junior Jedi Knights #4 - Anakin's Quest Rebecca Moesta (Eric Lee) 04/97 (Last one I read in the series.)
+23y Young Jedi Knights: Heirs of the Force Kevin J. Anderson, Rebecca Moesta (Dave Dorman) 06/95 (I read this whole series. It's better than you might think.)
+23y Young Jedi Knights: Shadow Academy Kevin J. Anderson, Rebecca Moesta (Dave Dorman) 09/95
+23y Young Jedi Knights: The Lost Ones Kevin J. Anderson, Rebecca Moesta (Dave Dorman) 12/95
+23y Young Jedi Knights: Lightsabers Kevin J. Anderson, Rebecca Moesta (Dave Dorman) 03/96
+23y Young Jedi Knights: Darkest Knight Kevin J. Anderson, Rebecca Moesta (Dave Dorman) 06/96
+23y Young Jedi Knights: Jedi Under Siege Kevin J. Anderson, Rebecca Moesta (Dave Dorman) 09/12/96
+23y Young Jedi Knights: Shards of Alderaan Kevin J. Anderson, Rebecca Moesta (Dave Dorman) 12/96
+23y Young Jedi Knights: Diversity Alliance Kevin J. Anderson, Rebecca Moesta (Dave Dorman) 03/97
+23y Young Jedi Knights: Delusions of Grandeur Kevin J. Anderson, Rebecca Moesta (Dave Dorman) 06/97
+23y Young Jedi Knights: Jedi Bounty Kevin J. Anderson, Rebecca Moesta (Dave Dorman) 09/97
+23y Young Jedi Knights: Emperor's Plague Kevin J. Anderson, Rebecca Moesta (Dave Dorman) 12/97
+24y Young Jedi Knights: Return to Ord Mantell Kevin J. Anderson, Rebecca Moesta (Dave Dorman) 05/98
+24y Young Jedi Knights: Trouble on Could City Kevin J. Anderson, Rebecca Moesta (Dave Dorman) 08/98
+24y Young Jedi Knights: Crisis at Crystal Reef Kevin J. Anderson, Rebecca Moesta (Dave Dorman) 11/98
+25y The New Jedi Order (Book #1): (Hardcover #1) Vector Prime R. A. Salvatore (Cliff Nielsen) HC: 10/05/99
PB: 07/05/00
+25.2y The New Jedi Order (Book #2): Dark Tide (#1, pb): Onslaught Michael A. Stackpole (John Harris) 02/2000
+25.6y The New Jedi Order (Book #3): Dark Tide (#3, pb): Ruin Michael A. Stackpole (John Harris) 06/06/00
+25.8y The New Jedi Order (Book #4): Agents of Chaos (#1, pb): Hero's Trial James Luceno (Rick Berry) 08/01/00
+25.9y The New Jedi Order (Book #5): Agents of Chaos (#2, pb): Jedi Eclipse James Luceno (Rick Berry) 10/03/00
+26y The New Jedi Order (Book #6): (Harcover #2) Balance Point Kathy Tyers (Cliff Nielsen) 10/31/00
+26y The New Jedi Order (eBook): Recovery Troy Denning (Terese Nielsen) 12/01
+26y The New Jedi Order (Book #7): Edge of Victory: Conquest J. Gregory Keyes, as Greg Keyes (Terese Nielsen) 04/03/01
+26y The New Jedi Order (Book #8): Edge of Victory: Rebirth J. Gregory Keyes, as Greg Keyes (Terese Nielsen) 07/31/01
+27y The New Jedi Order (Book #9): (Hardcover #3) Star by Star Troy Denning (Cliff Nielsen) 10/02/01
+27y The New Jedi Order (Book #10): Dark Journey Elaine Cunningham (Stephen D. Anderson) 01/02
+27y The New Jedi Order (Book #11): Enemy Lines - Rebel Dream Aaron Allston (David Seeley) 03/02
+27y The New Jedi Order (Book #12): Enemy Lines - Rebel Stand Aaron Allston (David Seeley) 05/02
+27y The New Jedi Order: Book #13 Traitor Matthew Woodring Stover (Stephen D. Anderson) 07/02
+28y The New Jedi Order: Book #14 (Hardcover #4) Destiny's Way Walter Jon Williams (Cliff Nielsen) 10/02
+28y The New Jedi Order (Book #15): Force Heretic - Remnant Shane Dix & Sean Williams (Jon Foster) 02/03
+28y The New Jedi Order (Book #16): Force Heretic - Refugee Shane Dix & Sean Williams (Jon Foster) 04/03
+28y The New Jedi Order (Book #17): Force Heretic - Reunion Shane Dix & Sean Williams (Jon Foster) 07/03
+29y The New Jedi Order (Book #18): The Final Prophecy J. Gregory Keyes, as Greg Keyes (Terese Nielsen) 09/03
+30y The New Jedi Order (Book #19) (Hardcover #5): The Unifying Force James Luceno (Cliff Nielsen) 11/03
+34y Dark Nest: The Joiner King Troy Denning 03/05
+34y Dark Nest: The Unseen Queen Troy Denning 07/05
+34y Dark Nest: The Swarm War Troy Denning 10/05

I've read a ton of comics, but I've got work to ignore so I'll have to put those in a seperate post.

Samantha Koortyn
Mar 13th, 2006, 09:53:39 AM
Splinter of the Mind's Eye
The first 3 X-Wing books
I, Jedi
Darth Maul: Shadowhunter
Medstar I, II
Tattooine Ghost (halfway through and will likely not finish it)
Courtship of Princess Leia
A spattering of comics here and there (Leviathan, Sith vs. Jedi, etc.)
Also have read most of the nonfiction (Essential Guides, Roleplaying Guides, etc. except for the chronologies in case of spoilers)

Vega Van-Derveld
Mar 13th, 2006, 10:08:02 AM
Originally posted by Dasquian Belargic
Nothing whatsoever! ^_^;

I tell a lie. I have the Power of the Jedi and Coruscant & the Core Worlds sourcebooks.

JMK
Mar 13th, 2006, 11:05:31 AM
It's been so long since I've read any EU, and I don't have the books anymore so this is my best guess at what I've read:

Han Solo's Revenge
Shadows of the Empire
The Truce At Bakura
Heir to the Empire
Dark Force Rising
The Last Command
Jedi Search
Dark Apprentice
Champions of the Force
Children of the Jedi
Darksaber
The Crystal Star
Before the Storm
Shield of Lies
Tyrant's Test
Ambush at Corellia
Assault at Selonia
Showdown at Centerpoint
Tales from Jabba's Palace

Mu Satach
Mar 13th, 2006, 02:33:48 PM
dammm... you all are making me feel very inadequate. :p ;)

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 13th, 2006, 02:41:54 PM
Thrawn Trilogy by Timothy Zahn
- Heir to the Empire
- Dark Force Rising
- The Last Command

Outbound Flight
Survivor's Quest

X-Wing Series
- Rogue Squadron
- Wedge's Gamble
- The Krytos Trap
- The Bacta War
(I can't remember how many I read but I distinctly remember up to The Bacta War)

I, Jedi
The Courtship of Princess Leia
Tales of the Bounty Hunters
Children of the Jedi
Darksaber
Jedi Search
Dark Apprentice
Champions of the Force
The Truce at Bakura
The Crystal Star
Before the Storm
Shield of Lies
Tyrant's Test
Ambush at Corellia
Assault at Selonia
Showdown at Centerpoint

The early Han Solo trilogy
-Han Solo at Stars End
-Han Solo's Revenge
- and the other one

Shadows of the Empire
Tatooine Ghost
NJO Vector Prime
NJO Star by Star
NJO Destiny's Way

random Young Jedi Knight books - more than five of them

Next on my list are Darth Maul: Shadowhunter, and Cloak of Deception. I would have read more of the NJO books, but to be honest I found it much too difficult to figure out what order they were supposed to be read in, and could never find most of them.

Boba Fett
Mar 13th, 2006, 02:58:26 PM
Thrawn Triology
- Heir to the Empire
- Dark Force Rising
- The Last Commmand

Hand of Thrawn Duology
- Spectre of the Past
- Vision of the Future

Black Fleet Crisis
- Before the Storm

X-wing Series
- Rogue Squadron

Truce at Bakura

I, Jedi

Crystal Star

Planet of Twilight

The Han Solo Triology
- The Paradise Snare
- The Hutt Gamble
- Some other book

The New Rebellion

The Jedi Trilogy
- Jedi Search
- Dark Apprentice
- Champions of the Force

All books of the NJO series up to "Star's End"(?)

Samantha Koortyn
Mar 14th, 2006, 10:27:45 AM
Shadowhunter is excellent, it took a very cliched movie character and gave him much more depth.

Morgan Evanar
Mar 15th, 2006, 02:45:44 PM
Han Solo's Revenge
Shadows of the Empire
Heir to the Empire
Dark Force Rising
The Last Command
Jedi Search
Dark Apprentice
Champions of the Force
Children of the Jedi
Darksaber
The Crystal Star
Before the Storm
Spectre of the Past
Vision of the Future

God KJA writes crap. Good thing I read fast.

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 15th, 2006, 02:50:58 PM
Technically the Jedi Search novels are sort of junk now anyway because of the discovery of midichlorians.

Alexander Bane
Mar 18th, 2006, 01:13:20 PM
I've only read the complete NJO series. Yes, I'm quite pitiful... :D