PDA

View Full Version : Albums that everyone should hear

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 9th, 2006, 07:46:08 AM
I had a conversation recently with a friend on the subject of "classic" albums. We were trying to think of a top 10 of albums that everyone should own; albums that either define a genre, or a decade in history. It quickly became apparent that creating a top 10 was near impossible. The only album we could settle on was The Beatles "Revolver", while I argued for the inclusion of Jeff Buckley's "Grace".

So here is my question to you: if you had to compile a list of 10 or so definitive albums, music that you believe the world just couldn't live without, what would they be?

JMK
Mar 9th, 2006, 09:02:20 AM
Lord that's a toughy. I don't think I could answer that because I'm not a big fan of what most people consider 'essential'.

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 9th, 2006, 09:28:17 AM
Oh they don't need to be albums that the rest of the world is going to agree with. Put it another way - if you were stuck on a desert island, which 10 albums would you want there with you? :)

Morgan Evanar
Mar 9th, 2006, 09:33:52 AM
1 Pink Floyd - "Animals"
It's one of music's best commentaries on capitalism and communism and how both systems manipulate and destroy people.

2 Depeche Mode -"Ultra"
IMO Depeche Mode's best album. Pretty standard themes of lust, loneliness, depression and a measure of violence.

3 Nine Inch Nails - "The Fragile"
I have a terrible time deciding between The Fragile and Downward Spiral, but I pick the Fragile on the virtue of variety, and for La Mer.

4 Soundgarden - "Down on the Upside"
If you are going to exit as a band, for goodness sake, do it like this. Incredibly tight musicianship abounds and Cornell reaches his peak as a lyricist.

5 Mr. Bungle - "California"
Wacko Jazz. God Bless you, Mr. Patton.

more later :)

Mitch
Mar 9th, 2006, 02:52:47 PM
AC/DC - Back in Black. It's the ultimate rock album. Simple, good, from the gut.

Yog
Mar 9th, 2006, 04:41:13 PM
Originally posted by Morgan Evanar
Pink Floyd's "Animals"
It's one of music's best commentaries on capitalism and communism and how both systems manipulate and destroy people.

I'll add to the list later :)

While there are actually several conceivable candidates among Pink Floyd, I would personally pick "The Wall" instead of "Animals". Its genre defining, because of its linear story line with parallel realities, and the unique blend of sound effects and theatrical rock. While the fictional character "Pink" in post traumatic despair builds 'a wall' to the world around him, there are flashback to World War II, the British class school system and his childhood. The entire album is like a movie with imaginary visuals. Its like a piece of abstract art you can analyse or simply listen to.

All that, and musically, its a masterpiece.

For these reasons (and being a Pink Floyd fan), The Wall is without a doubt my favorite album of all time :)

For those particulary interested, there is a pretty good interpretation of the album here;
http://home.mchsi.com/~ttint/Intro.html

I would also mention, The Wall happens to (deservedly) be the 3rd most sold album of all time, with ~23 million copies sold, only surpassed by M. Jackson's Thriller and The Eagles Hits.

Mandy with an I
Mar 9th, 2006, 05:26:07 PM
All of mine have some connection to some time in my life, so, I guess I'm sentimental. Most of mine probably won't match anyone elses' list, but, in no real order:

1) Catharine Wheel,"Adam and Eve"
Although I have two mixed tapes of their music, I only have this album on cd. It has a majority of my favorite songs; "Future Boy", "Delicious", "Broken Nose', "Ma Solituda". Yes, it's on the list for sentimental reasons - it reminds me of a guy I knew in my college days.

2) Bright Eyes, "I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning."
Marks my descent into Emo-dom. I saw the video for "First Day of My Life" and fell in love with Conor Oberst. Yeah, yeah, there are people who don't enjoy his music, but I love it.

3) The Sex Pistols, "Nevermind the Bollocks"
There are two people in this world - those who like the Clash, and those who enjoy the Pistols. I'm the latter, and my large collection of bootlegs should prove it. I went through the whole "EFF AUTHORITY! "- I'm ripping and safety pinning all my clothes- punk rocker phase in high-school, and the Pistols provided the songs.

4) The Living End, "From Here On In"
Okay, this album, of course, reminds me of Mark. A nice little collection of their songs, great to listen to on the bus. Big plus for being semi-obscure :lol

5) The Tragically Hip Greatest Hits collection who's name has escaped me for a moment :x
Pure Canadiana. The one band EVERYONE in my family likes. And yes, I do know how to do "The Go Gordy" :lol

6) M.I.A., "Arular"
Really catchy, really weird - really hard to explain what M.I.A sounds like. I <3 it!

7) Johnny Cash, 'The Legend Of"
Hellllllo??? It's JOHNNY CASH.

8)Sloan, "A Sides Win"
Another band I started listening to in high-school, another reminder of good times. I am a total Sloan groupie. Great guitar sing-a-long songs.

9) Trainspotting Soundtrack #2
All the songs that fit the film, but weren't included. A great mix cd.

10) Is left blank :)

JMK
Mar 9th, 2006, 08:04:56 PM
I'm not so sure compilations and greatest hits should be on a list like this. It just isn't fair. :p

I haven't put a great amount of thought into this, but here's some of my must haves in no particular order:

Pearl Jam - Ten
Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run
I Mother Earth - Earth, Sky & C
Dave Matthews Band - Crash
Guns n Roses - Appetite for Destruction
Metallica - S&M (I may be breaking my own rule a bit, but rules go out the window when it comes to Metallica :))
Tragically Hip - Fully Completely
Matthew Good Band - Beautiful Midnight

Mandy with an I
Mar 9th, 2006, 10:29:16 PM
I think they should be, especially if it's a really great soundtrack. :p I mean, how many of us haven't made a mix tape/cd/whatever that we've listened to to death? I have a mix cd of brit pop a friend of mine made for me in HS, and I still listen to it all the time, even though I own several of the cds by the groups on it. It's just more convienent to have them all on one thing.

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 10th, 2006, 12:23:20 AM
Well I'd add to the album list the original Star Wars soundtrack by John Williams, because it's good instrumental music that really changed the way we hear movies. IMO.

Wyl Staedtler
Mar 10th, 2006, 02:53:50 AM
Not in order of preference, mind:

1) London Calling -- The Clash

2) Nevermind the Bullocks -- The Sex Pistols

3) The Joshua Tree -- U2

4) A Slipping-Down Life -- Guy Pearce

5) The Very Best of Supertramp -- Supertramp

6) Solitary Man -- Johnny Cash

7) Led Zeppelin IV (with the exception of Stairway to Heaven) -- Led Zeppelin

8) Nevermind -- Nirvana (or In Utero, I love both)

9) Mercury Falling -- Sting

10) Hot Fuss -- The Killers