PDA

View Full Version : Vader wins a Razzie

JMK
Mar 6th, 2006, 08:39:03 AM
Hayden Christensen was chosen as worst supporting actor for "Star Wars: Episode III — Revenge of the Sith."

"Darth Vader portrayed as a Backstreet Boy gone bad just doesn't cut it as a villain," Wilson said. "Though it was fun to see his arms and legs cut off."

You've got to be kidding me. :rolleyes

QuiGonJ
Mar 6th, 2006, 10:08:31 AM
And once more the Razzies prove they faded into irrelevance years ago.

JMK
Mar 6th, 2006, 10:28:42 AM
Sounds like a fanboy with an axe to grind. Hayden took his lumps in AotC. Get over it! He was decent in RotS.

And despite what people may think about War of the Worlds, Cruise wasn't bad in it. The movie was just not all that fantastic.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Mar 6th, 2006, 11:46:34 AM
I'm with JMK - Hayden's performance in RotS was much better than AotC. Not to mention I don't place all blame of a lackluster performance on an actor as I feel it's part of the director's job to bring out the fullest in his cast.

My opinion is that Lucas just went completely eye-candy crazy and ignored the performances he could have really pulled out of his people, leaving them to tread water in many areas and stay afloat as best as they could.

JMK
Mar 6th, 2006, 12:32:59 PM
Originally posted by Loklorien s'Ilancy
I'm with JMK - Hayden's performance in RotS was much better than AotC. Not to mention I don't place all blame of a lackluster performance on an actor as I feel it's part of the director's job to bring out the fullest in his cast.

My opinion is that Lucas just went completely eye-candy crazy and ignored the performances he could have really pulled out of his people, leaving them to tread water in many areas and stay afloat as best as they could.

Just look at Portman. IMO she was horrendous throughout the entire prequel trilogy, especially in many key scenes. But if you look at her performances in nearly all of her other movies, she's been great. Lucas concerned himself too much with the effects - and to a point I'll cut him some slack - he was pioneering a new age of digital realism, but he was also pioneering FX as we know them today in '77 and he didn't forget about the actors then.

I place the blame of the poor acting squarely on GL's shoulders, because he did not hire second rate talent.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Mar 6th, 2006, 12:40:12 PM
It's strange, I never really paid much attention to Portman in the SW movies. I was just too busy looking at all the stuff on the screen for her to register in my brain. I suppose that may say something as to her performance, though.

I do admit though, that the only other movie I've seen her in is Leon. Or at least, to the best of my knowledge that's the only other one she's done that I've seen. But holy moly, I loved her in that.

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 6th, 2006, 07:41:06 PM
Pick up Garden State - a good movie and she's fantastic in it.

Jaime Tomahawk
Mar 6th, 2006, 08:34:20 PM
Portman was nowhere NEAR as bad in RotS than in the first two. And honestly, Christensen the worst supporting performance of the year?!? Cant say more than what JMK said.

Mu Satach
Mar 7th, 2006, 12:26:44 PM
Beautiful Girls
Anywhere but Here <- chick flick
Where the Heart is <- chick flick
Garden State
Closer

all good examples of her work that I've seen

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 7th, 2006, 12:51:13 PM
The Razzies are just dumb, they did that to get themselves attention it is why they gave Cruise that award.

Atreyu
Mar 7th, 2006, 08:37:53 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
The Razzies are just dumb, they did that to get themselves attention it is why they gave Cruise that award.
^ Quoted for truth. The Razzies claim to honour the worst films and performances, but if you look at the films they select each year they are nearly always drawn from the small circle of big-budget, mainstream films Hollywood releases.

You could make the worse film or give the worst performance in history, but unless you have a big name or a large budget you'll just be ignored.

Rutabaga
Mar 7th, 2006, 08:47:18 PM
I used to get a kick out of the Razzies, but over the last few years, they've just gotten pathetic. Nowadays, they're nothing more than the Mr. Blackwell of award shows...they're really more about how snide and mean they can be about people than about truly noting the quality (or lack thereof, I guess) of movies and moviemaking. This year was a prime example, with the nomination of Tom Cruise as worst actor. Personally, I've gotten to the point where I can't stand Tom Cruise anymore because of all the couch-jumping Katie Holmes stuff, and I didn't like War of the Worlds, but his performance in the movie was nowhere near "bad." He was slightly miscast in the role, but gave a solid performance and didn't deserve a "worst actor" nomination.

And yes, the Hayden Christensen award was pathetic too. The Razzies have had it out for the prequels since TPM, and this was their last shot, so they took it. Simply ridiculous. I've always thought that Hayden was perfectly acceptable in AOTC and gave a decent performance in ROTS. Again, not worthy of such a spiteful "award" when there were dozens of worse performances out there.