PDA

View Full Version : What a let-down

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Feb 24th, 2006, 07:24:24 PM
Ok, first things first - I'm a bit of a Subway junkie. I love the place, and IMO it beats the pants off of Blimpie. Their subs just taste loads fresher. I pretty much order the same thing every time I go: footlong sweet onion chicken teriyaki on parmesan oregano, pepper jack, toasted, with everything except cucumbers, and just honey mustard. It is a delight of a sammich, let me tell you.

Today I tried their new buffalo chicken sub. It was good, but I think I'm going to stick with my normal sweet onion honey mustard concoction.

Now, the times that I've been going there in just this last week, the gals there have been giving me these little scratch and pseudo-win cards; I'm sure you all know how those work, where you have to enter a secret code into a website to see if you win a harrier or panzer or something along those lines. Needless to say, I was hoping for a panzer, since I'd be the talk of the plant when I rolled into work Sunday night in my own tank.

With excited visions of a tank sitting in my driveway filling my head, I scratched away at the cards to reveal my secret code.

Step one was complete. With two cards, ergo two codes, I had two chances to win.

Open a new tab, type in the web url, and step two is all - what the...

Contest expired on February 19th???

Expired??!

Well, there goes my damn Panzer :(

Serena Laran
Feb 24th, 2006, 08:41:06 PM
Quiznos is so much better anyway.

"THEY HAVE A PEPPER BAR"

omg spongemonkeys!

Khendon Sevon
Feb 24th, 2006, 08:53:40 PM
Quiznos is the best. Subway is meh, their chicken scares me.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Feb 24th, 2006, 09:02:37 PM
I had forgotten about Quiznos. I like their stuff alot, too. And holy moly yes that pepper bar is beautiful :D

Oh, and it seems I bought a two pack of conditioner at Walmart this evening, thinking it was one of those shampoo/conditioner deal things.

Man I'm dumb tonight, and I've only just started on my first bottle of beer.

Miller High Life, but only because there was no Milwaukee's Best to be found

James Prent
Feb 24th, 2006, 09:23:54 PM
Could be worse. You could be drinking PBR.

Mitch
Feb 24th, 2006, 09:30:32 PM
Hey, leyt's not be forgetting Hamms or Schmidts. You know, for when you want to get drunk, but only have five bucks for an 18-pack.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Feb 24th, 2006, 09:45:37 PM
Oh let's go for gold, shall we?

Schlitz
Colt 45
Steele Reserve
Olde English
King Cobra

I don't have guts enough to try any of these.

edit: Haha, Sparks

Arya Ravenwing
Feb 24th, 2006, 09:47:47 PM
Olde English sounds like furniture polish. :eek

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Feb 24th, 2006, 09:55:47 PM
That's cause it is, silly :p The bottles even look almost alike :)

And I forgot O'Douls. Everyone loves fake beer!

Sanis Prent
Feb 24th, 2006, 10:28:03 PM
Nobody's mentioned Southpaw? Must be a local thing, but...ew!

PBR is actually a pretty decent beer though. Its Bud Light for half the price.

You want some terrible beer, have some Labatt Blue, or how about Grolsch. Two very awful imports to be sure.

Other domestic stinkers include Budweiser (not Bud Light), Coors (not Coors Light)

And a whole lot of Christin's favorites such as Milwaukee's Best and Red Dog.

Khendon Sevon
Feb 24th, 2006, 11:09:22 PM
PBR is horrible and watered down tasting, just like Natty Ice. (Those are the two beers that all the frats serve in Hoboken).

I'm not a fan of Coors Light or Bud or Bud Light.

Molson Ice is my favorite overall, then comes Yuengling (Yeung light isn't half bad, either), Miller is good but I've only had it while drunk... so... that's an unreliable account.

Molson Golden is meh. It's not as good as Ice but it's better than a lot of other beers.

Stella Artois suck. Magic Hat has a horrible after taste.

Sanis Prent
Feb 24th, 2006, 11:19:23 PM
PBR has to be proper cold. I'll admit that its stock goes down if it isn't. Bonus if you can find bottled selections of it.

Molson Ice is garbage, as are most Canadian exports unfortunately. The only quality export that you can really find is Moosehead. It's mighty hoppy so if you don't like that, then beware. I like a good hoppy beer.

Yuengling is pretty average. Considering the price, its a good trade-off for something like a Sam Adams.

Miller's trash, FYI.

Stella is...an acquired taste. Its a bit off for people who aren't in the mood for it. Belgian brews are really weird like that. You can get a wide range of good and bad, and nothing really tastes the same. Chimay is a hearty, heavy bodied Belgian, and then you turn around and get Blue Moon, which is a bland, soulless beer that has some kind of following for reasons I don't know. But yeah, Belgian beer is a crap shoot, so caveat emptor.

Ooh and here's a terrible foreign beer while we're at it: Kronenbourg 1666. If the country of origin tells you anything - it's French. Stick to wine, Pierre!

Ryan Pode
Feb 24th, 2006, 11:46:32 PM
I wish I was cool enough to afford real beer. College dun' makes me treat Coors as classy. :(

Jaime Tomahawk
Feb 24th, 2006, 11:56:12 PM
Anyone who admits a liking to any kind of Budweiser, Miller or Coors of any variety should have their taste buds forceibly exchanged for something less faulty.

Liam Jinn
Feb 25th, 2006, 01:27:38 AM
Originally posted by Loklorien s'Ilancy
Oh let's go for gold, shall we?

Schlitz
Colt 45
Steele Reserve
Olde English
King Cobra

I don't have guts enough to try any of these.

edit: Haha, Sparks

I've tried 'em all. But if I don't feel like spending any sort of cash, I'll go for Steel Reserve, on ice mind you. Can't beat 8.3% 40oz for only $1.60.

Originally posted by Jaime Tomahawk
Anyone who admits a liking to any kind of Budweiser, Miller or Coors of any variety should have their taste buds forceibly exchanged for something less faulty.

Mneh, I like Budweiser and Coors, decent beer at a decent price.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Feb 25th, 2006, 02:18:37 AM
I've actually had Sparks, and I seem to remember liking it, but it's been a while.

The Beast and High Life are an aquired taste from my college days, and I just haven't stopped drinking on a budget. Every now and then I'll go a bit higher pricewise and get some Purple Haze, Red Stripe, and/or Fat Tire (provided I'm in an area that sells it, mind you), but for regular "whatever" drinking, I stick with my old faithfuls.

Jaime Tomahawk
Feb 25th, 2006, 03:41:08 AM
Originally posted by Liam Jinn
Mneh, I like Budweiser and Coors, decent beer at a decent price.

No.

NO

NO FOUR TIMES NO

Budweiser is about the same spew that Fosters is - and yes I have had the unfortunate experience of both. While I'm not a beer drinker usually I know what cat pee tastes like and Budweiser is damn near close to it. It's vile.

Sanis Prent
Feb 25th, 2006, 03:45:33 AM
Not quite.Fosters is a good deal swillier than Bud or Miller Light I can assure you. The issue with the american macrobrews is that they're really too light and have no character. This makes them poor beers on a craftsmanship level, but they're pretty tip top in terms of binging, or doing any kind of drinking when you're out doing sports or yard work.

Budweiser, Miller, and Coors without the light versions? Oh yes they're terrible. You could definitely argue Fosters is better than they are. There's something rank and heavy with them and its neither the hops nor the malt that do it. Or maybe it is, and their ingredient choice is really terrible. Each of them has some kind of funk that I just can't enjoy. Their lighter cousins possess none of this handicap and as a result they go down easy.

Liam Jinn
Feb 25th, 2006, 03:53:15 AM
I really don't like Bud light, though I have nothing against Budweiser. Coors light - ;) Not a big Miller fan though, might be from all the beast I've drank.

Nathanial K'cansce
Feb 25th, 2006, 11:25:41 AM
Rolling Rock or Tripel (tripol?) plz.

Khendon Sevon
Feb 25th, 2006, 11:32:09 AM
Oh, I forgot about Rolling Rock. Rolling Rock is my beer of choice when I want six 16 oz cans for $5. But, I have to be in the mood for it.

I think everyone in this thread can agree to one thing: taste in beer is very, very personal.

Sanis Prent
Feb 25th, 2006, 01:40:40 PM
I dig on rolling rock because its the cheapest, extra hoppy beer I can really buy. There are better beers that fit the profile out there, but they can't be found as easily as rolling rock.

Downside is, like all beers of that category, you gotta keep it COLD

Mitch
Feb 25th, 2006, 03:06:02 PM
Beer doesn't do it for me. I'm a cider guy. Give me Strongbow, Blackthorn or Hornsby's Amber Draft.

Pitcher of that and I'm fat and happy.

Sanis Prent
Feb 25th, 2006, 03:16:46 PM
You need to get Cider Jack then. Its hard to find and I think its an east coast only thing. I have to travel a few hours before I find places that stock it.

Ryan Pode
Feb 25th, 2006, 03:33:12 PM
Not beer, but something I discovered about 3 hours ago: Sprite and Tequila.

Crystal
Feb 28th, 2006, 12:23:53 AM
What expired? NO! And I just scratched off all of mine yesterday, too. I got a handfull of them last time I was there, I bet it was because they knew.

thx-1138stormfett
Mar 23rd, 2006, 11:56:12 AM
amberbock just my opinion

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Mar 23rd, 2006, 12:02:35 PM
Drinking a Pete's Wicked Strawberry Blonde right now, and I've got a whole lot of Shiner Bock in the fridge :D

ps - I'm glad someone else performed the thread necromancy ritual ^_^;

Sanis Prent
Mar 23rd, 2006, 05:38:27 PM
So tell them all about the panzer :D

Mu Satach
Mar 23rd, 2006, 07:00:14 PM
Killian's Red... and for some god awful reason, I like Zima.

Sanis Prent
Mar 23rd, 2006, 08:13:51 PM
Originally posted by Mu Satach
Killian's Red... and for some god awful reason, I like Zima.

Killians is vastly overrated.

As for Zima, its alcoholic sprite. Just put liquor in your sprite and save money.

Arya Ravenwing
Mar 23rd, 2006, 08:26:07 PM
Smirnoff Ice or an O3. YUM

Sanis Prent
Mar 23rd, 2006, 08:42:22 PM
Originally posted by Arya Ravenwing
Smirnoff Ice or an O3. YUM

haha

Shawn
Mar 23rd, 2006, 11:14:36 PM
Chris gave me a Spaten the other day and I really dug it. Very palatable.

Zem Vymes
Mar 23rd, 2006, 11:50:22 PM
I like Spaten's Oktoberfest. Then again, Oktoberfest blends are generally amazing.