PDA

View Full Version : A Scanner Darkly

Droo
Feb 17th, 2006, 07:35:53 PM
I know a fair bit about the story having studied it for my screenplay module at university. It is intriguing and fascinating. I don't know how good a film it will but I wanted to start a thread about it because the visual style took me by suprise. It looks awesome: live action cel-shading or something.

Check out the trailer:

http://pdl.warnerbros.com/wip/us/med/scanner_darkly/scanner_darkly_a_tlr2_qt_700.mov

What do you think?

Jaime Tomahawk
Feb 17th, 2006, 08:07:30 PM
I think it's called rotoscoping, the animated LOTR used it - it's an interesting technique and it is a surprise to see it used here.

Putting this one on my to see list.

Mu Satach
Feb 17th, 2006, 10:00:17 PM
well first off the m83 track is just sweet... second... I like any adaptation of a Philip K. D ick story, even though rarely do they ever rarely do the stories justice.

It's now on my list as well.

Liam Jinn
Feb 17th, 2006, 10:54:24 PM
I saw a movie done like this a few years ago called Waking Life. It's a pretty weird style, but I think I'll catch this movie when it comes out.

Droo
Feb 18th, 2006, 05:30:19 AM
Originally posted by Jaime Tomahawk
I think it's called rotoscoping, the animated LOTR used it

Of course, I'd forgotten about that. Let's be thankful technology has moved on since then!

Mu Satach
Feb 18th, 2006, 06:14:03 PM
Originally posted by Liam Jinn
I saw a movie done like this a few years ago called Waking Life. It's a pretty weird style, but I think I'll catch this movie when it comes out.

That was written and directed by the same guy who's doing this flick, Richard Linklater who also did Dazed and Confused.

Darth McBain
Feb 23rd, 2006, 10:02:17 AM
I finally got around to watching this trailer - looks pretty weird, but could be good. The style is definitely intriguing. And while I agree with Mu that they are rarely done justice, I usually enjoy PK D ick adaptations.

Vega Van-Derveld
May 14th, 2006, 01:16:39 PM
I just watched the trailer for this too. Wow, the visual style looks really cool. I can add this one to my miserably small list of movies to see this summer.

Shawn
May 14th, 2006, 04:11:29 PM
The trailer has made me realize that Keanu really is a very poor actor. :( Looking forward to seeing the movie despite that, though.

Gabriel Rodermark
May 14th, 2006, 04:13:33 PM
It does feel as though he plays the same role over and over. In particular the scene where he asks about the two hemispheres of his mind competing reminded me of the scene in the Matrix when he is first confronted by the Agents.

Droo
May 14th, 2006, 05:38:51 PM
My thoughts exactly.

JMK
May 14th, 2006, 05:51:27 PM
Originally posted by Shawn
The trailer has made me realize that Keanu really is a very poor actor. :(

I thought that was a foregone conclusion since his Bill & Ted days...

Vega Van-Derveld
May 15th, 2006, 03:55:27 AM
Winona Ryder and Robert Downie Jr should do a good job, though, I think. And hey, maybe the animators will animate Keanu some facial expressions!

Sanis Prent
May 15th, 2006, 09:11:35 PM
If she isn't stealing clothes and he isn't on a ton of cocaine, sure.

Vega Van-Derveld
May 16th, 2006, 04:19:06 AM
Isn't he playing a drug addict/dealer of some kind anyway?