PDA

View Full Version : Dark Crystal Sequel

Sudoku
Feb 2nd, 2006, 12:23:03 AM
From Dlisted:

Genndy Tartakovsky will direct the sequel to 1982's Dark Crystal. The new film will be called Power of the Dark Crystal. Set hundreds of years after the first film, the sequel follows a mysterious girl made of fire who steals a shard of the crystal in hopes of reigniting the dying sun.

I loved the original; has anyone heard anything about this?

Anbira Hicchoru
Feb 2nd, 2006, 10:37:23 AM
I cannot wait. The two movies that I enjoyed most in my childhood were star wars and the dark crystal.

I used to pretend I was a Skeksis ^_^;

Sudoku
Feb 2nd, 2006, 10:57:38 AM
I used to be afraid of the Skeksis :cry

Anbira Hicchoru
Feb 2nd, 2006, 11:40:54 AM
hmm-MMMMM !

>D

Mitch
Feb 2nd, 2006, 08:31:43 PM
So, more puppets, or animation this time?

Sudoku
Feb 3rd, 2006, 12:18:47 AM
From Variety (apparently; first one is old, second is newer)

The Jim Henson Company is planning to make a sequel to its 1982 fantasy classic The Dark Crystal, reports Variety.

Titled The Power of the Dark Crystal, the new movie is written by David Odell (The Dark Crystal, The Muppet Show) and Annette Duffy. No director is yet attached to the film which starts shooting this fall for a 2007 release. It will combine live-action animatronic characters with CG animation.

The story is set many years after the original, which was helmed by Frank Oz and Jim Henson. Original heroes Jen and Kira are now king and queen, and must fight to save their kingdom when the crystal is once again split.

The Jim Henson Co. has set animated series creator Genndy Tartakovsky ("Samurai Jack", "Star Wars: The Clones Wars") to direct "Power of the Dark Crystal," sequel to 1982 fantasy film "The Dark Crystal" reports Variety.

Tartakovsky's Orphanage Animation Studios will take the lead on the CG animation elements for the puppet-driven film. Brian Froud has returned to design the new characters.

Set hundreds of years after the first pic, sequel follows a mysterious girl made of fire who steals a shard of the crystal in hopes of reigniting the dying sun.Annette Duffy and David Odell penned the script.

The puppets this time around will operate amid a CGI backdrop. Henson will secure a domestic distributor by the time the film begins production in late summer.

Boo on CG, yay for puppets :love

jjwr
Feb 6th, 2006, 02:16:18 PM
To me this movie was great because of the look and feel of the movie but can they do a movie in today's CG world that will succeed in that format?

Sudoku
Feb 6th, 2006, 10:19:52 PM
From what I've read, it's going to be all puppets with only CGI as backgrounds.

Dasquian Belargic
Feb 7th, 2006, 03:42:44 AM
I think Dark Crystal must have been out a few years too early for me to see it. Would you guys recommend renting it, or is it one of those movies that needs the childhood nostalgia factor to be appreciated fully?

Anbira Hicchoru
Feb 7th, 2006, 08:15:36 AM
Don't rent it. Buy it. Its a no brainer that you'll like it and want to watch it plenty of times.

Do it do it do it.

Sorsha Kasajian
Feb 7th, 2006, 03:49:37 PM
It's Henson, Sissy. The same wonderful people that created Labyrinth and Farscape. ;)

Morgan Evanar
Feb 7th, 2006, 04:11:32 PM
Originally posted by Kyashi
From what I've read, it's going to be all puppets with only CGI as backgrounds. That is very good news indeeeeeeeeed. Farscape did that some and it worked very very well.

Charley
Feb 7th, 2006, 06:57:49 PM
Yeah, it works for me. The landscapes were the original Dark Crystal's weak point. Not the design, just the failings of using props and scenery and instilling a sense of grandeur. CG is plenty advanced enough to handle landscapes and backdrops now. It's the other stuff that is hit or miss.

Are there going to be Skeksis in this? I'm assuming not, since this takes place after the original, which sucks :(

Sudoku
Feb 7th, 2006, 11:36:03 PM
I never really got into Farscape, so... :uhoh

If the Crystal is broken though, wouldn't the Elder/glowy things "break" as well and go back to being the Mystics and the Skeksis?

Charley
Feb 8th, 2006, 01:45:39 AM
Good point.

Then you have to ask if the gelflings and podlings kickstart their civilizations again, especially with Jen and Kira being the last of their race, etc.

Lilaena De'Ville
Feb 8th, 2006, 01:51:45 AM
Originally posted by Dasquian Belargic
I think Dark Crystal must have been out a few years too early for me to see it. Would you guys recommend renting it, or is it one of those movies that needs the childhood nostalgia factor to be appreciated fully?

It needs the childhood factor to be appreciated fully. I watched it for the first time a few years ago, and, sorry to everyone, but I didn't like it at all.

Sudoku
Feb 8th, 2006, 01:56:36 AM
Originally posted by Charley
Good point.

Then you have to ask if the gelflings and podlings kickstart their civilizations again, especially with Jen and Kira being the last of their race, etc.

I would assume the podlings would still be around - there were lots of them. I dont know about the gelfings. :| If it's only two of them, then their kids would have to have kids, and ew, no?

JMK
Feb 8th, 2006, 08:46:53 AM
Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
It needs the childhood factor to be appreciated fully. I watched it for the first time a few years ago, and, sorry to everyone, but I didn't like it at all.

I watched it when I was about 8 or 9 and didn't like it then either, so you're not alone LD. :)