PDA

View Full Version : Disney buys Pixar

Atreyu
Jan 25th, 2006, 05:42:15 PM
Read all about it:

http://money.cnn.com/2006/01/24/news/companies/disney_pixar_deal/index.htm?cnn=yes

I suppose Disney can now breathe a sigh of relief that it now has full access to an animation team that makes decent money. :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Jan 25th, 2006, 07:47:41 PM
Booo I was hoping Pixar would leave Disney for good and turn out great movies while Disney churns out more crap.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 25th, 2006, 09:23:14 PM
Well Disney is under better managment. It was best that Eisner left he had become a putz.

Figrin D'an
Jan 25th, 2006, 11:03:34 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
Well Disney is under better managment. It was best that Eisner left he had become a putz.

Aye, and don't be surprised if the Steve Jobs influence becomes noticable in the Disney corporate structure in the near future. He'll be on the Disney Board of Directors now, and will be the largest single shareholder of Disney stock. Disney and Apple will likely have more joint projects in the future in addition to the digital media deal they have now.

Atreyu
Jan 26th, 2006, 01:19:00 AM
It was best that Eisner left he had become a putz.
Yes, Eisner did appear to hang around for just too long. Even Roy E. Disney (Walt's nephew) was calling for him to step down.

Pretty sad when you consider it was Eisner who rejuventaed the company back in the 80s and also reushered in a new age of animated films (Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Lion King et al.)

Anyway, Iger is now in charge, and Jobs will now be on the board of directors. Looks like new blood is coming into the company and that's a good thing.

Yog
Jan 26th, 2006, 01:28:24 AM
A bit disappointing, but not really unexpected I guess. I hope this does not affect Pixar's lightning in a bottle thing creatively.

Morgan Evanar
Jan 26th, 2006, 09:37:18 AM
The smartest thing to do would have Pixar stay entirely seperate, let them do thar thang, and use Disney for distribution.

Mu Satach
Jan 26th, 2006, 04:47:33 PM
I don't know how likely that will be as the only good thing I see out of this is John Lasseter has been named Disney's Chief Creative Officer...

so, either Disney will suck the soul out of Pixar OR Pixar will perform some necromancy and "re-animate" the house of mouse.

Jaime Tomahawk
Jan 27th, 2006, 09:28:23 PM
Originally posted by Mu Satach
I don't know how likely that will be as the only good thing I see out of this is John Lasseter has been named Disney's Chief Creative Officer...

so, either Disney will suck the soul out of Pixar OR Pixar will perform some necromancy and "re-animate" the house of mouse.

I dont know why you people are depressed about this - Pixar just took over the Mouse House, excatly like NeXT took over Apple. NeXT peoole run Apple today and you can see in the details of the 'takeover' Pxiar people are put into highly important places in Disney and Pixar is made pretty much hands off from the rest of Disney. There's no way Jobs would let Pixar be meekly bought out.

Also, for Jobs this gives him exactly what he has been setting out to do with the iPod / iTunes - he now has a huge slice of the content creation, now he has content distribution and he basically had by the balls legal content delivery online. You can be certain Disney's catalogue of not just it's movies but of the music content and TV shows it owns will become in short order availible on iTunes and play on iPods.

He has in one swift stroke done what Microsoft is also aiming to do, but almost certainly locked Microsoft out of the game at the same time.

Steve Jobs has just won big time and I bet he knows it and so do Apple and Pixar, who I suspect will be the really big winners. Watch what becomes availible for iPod within the next few months.

Mu Satach
Jan 27th, 2006, 10:12:35 PM
yeah, but there's this weird thing soul sucking thing that happens in big american corporations...

Jaime Tomahawk
Jan 28th, 2006, 03:10:20 AM
Originally posted by Mu Satach
yeah, but there's this weird thing soul sucking thing that happens in big american corporations...

No soul sucker's going to be able to contend with the Jobs Reality Distortion Field

Edit : And in an interesting exclaimation that may show I'm right, Disney announed that Toy Story 3 has been boned and Circle 7, the unit setup in Disney to sequel Pixar movies closed. And a possible traditional style animation is coming back, which Disney was famed for.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 28th, 2006, 12:16:47 PM
Originally posted by Jaime Tomahawk
No soul sucker's going to be able to contend with the Jobs Reality Distortion Field

Edit : And in an interesting exclaimation that may show I'm right, Disney announed that Toy Story 3 has been boned and Circle 7, the unit setup in Disney to sequel Pixar movies closed. And a possible traditional style animation is coming back, which Disney was famed for.

I read that now Pixar will be doing Toy Story 3 if it happens, that is fine with me, I rather them do it.

Atreyu
Feb 1st, 2006, 10:32:07 PM
I wonder what the 3rd Toy Story will cover?

And what will they do about Slinky Dog, now that Jim Varney has passed away (RIP Ernest :().

Last year (well before any of this ame up) I read an interesting article by a critic (?) who argued that Disney would have been better off if the Mouse House changed its offical name to something else (Buena Vista?) and Disney made a subdivision that could focus purely on family films, animated films etc. which would help preserve the legacy that old Walt originally envisioned for the company.

I wish I could remember where I found the article because it was an interesting read.

Morgan Evanar
Feb 1st, 2006, 11:01:39 PM
More like Disney paid Pixar to take them over.