PDA

View Full Version : Spring Semester Begins.

Wei Wu Wei
Jan 12th, 2006, 09:26:00 PM
Or at least it began two days ago. I'm taking 12 credit hours for my final semester here at Mercer University. In just a few more months I'll be the proud holder of a BA in Christianiy.

Classes I am taking include

Death and Dying
Senior Colloquium
Hebrews to Revelation
Readings in the Septuagint
Ballroom Dancing

Death and Dying A "senior capstone" course. It's about dying, how we die, and how we deal with it. I hear it's the best senior capstone course at Mercer.

Senior Colloquium The senior portion of the Junior/Senior Colloquium course. Basically we get together once a week for an hour and a half and talk religion. This semester we are investigating how the Christian community handles the other world religions. And I get to write a paper about wh atever I want in the religious field.

Hebrews to Revelation is exactly that. We are reading and discussing the books for the New Testament that aren't Paul or the Gospels.

Readings in the Septuagint The Septuagint is the Greek version of the Old Testament. We're going to be translating various Greek texts into English, discussing grammar and use of words in order to gain some nuances of the Scriptures that are overlooked or ignored in the English.

Ballroom Dancing It sounded like it wouldn't be too bad a class for meeting once a week and getting one credit hour out of the deal. Besides, I needed the extra credit hour to qualify for being a full time student.

This in no way effects my ability to post at the forums. I just thought I'd share that my last semester is this one. :)

Jorshal Vuntana
Jan 13th, 2006, 12:58:21 PM
I love sharing my class schedule, for some forsaken reason its a point of pride and joy for me. So, in the fashion that you've shared your schedule, I'll share mine.

I'm an art and a history major as well, not art history, but rather art is one major history is my second. Classes I'm taking:

Jacksonian America
The Two World Wars
Photography
Web Design
Drawing II

Jacksonian America I have no idea what this class is going to be about, besides the United States during the era from Jackson's presidency to the Mexican-American War. I just took it cause it fit in the schedule and I need an American History credit. But, I'm sure I'll love it by a few classes in.

The Two World Wars This is what I'm most excited about, the class is what the title specifies; I'm a huge WWI 'fan'. Plus, theres a trip to Europe to survey the battlegrounds of the two wars this May, and in holding two jobs last summer I will be able to afford to go on.

Photography I don't know jack about photography and what makes it so spedical, hence the class. Everyone who takes the class has said they go in thinking photography is as tough of an art form to do as the rest and upon finishing they think the opposite.

Web Design It's Web Design, that's all I know. It fit in my schedule and that's about it. I'm going to learn how to design webs.

Drawing II Drawing I was fun, now its time to double my pleasure. I expect I'm going to draw in this class. Which i fun by my standards.

Khendon Sevon
Jan 13th, 2006, 03:04:52 PM
Yay! I’m a freshman (second semester) computer science major ;) My classes:

Calculus II
Discrete Mathematics
Data Structures & Algorithms I
Macoeconomics
Philosophy II
Northern Shaolin Martial Arts

Calculus II – Alright. There’s something fishy about Stevens. See, our Calc I course is a lie. It’s actually most college’s Calc I and Calc II combined into one uber fast paced semester. So, Calc II covers 3D shapes and scary things akin to that. I’m afraid.

Discrete mathematics – I don’t know what to expect. I’ve heard if you’re good at computer science, you’re good at discrete mathematics. I’m good at CS, we’ll see how I do in discrete.

Data Structures & Algorithms – There’s no book assigned. This makes me a little nervous. Never the less, it’s computer science, I’ll ace it ‘cause I love code :) Don’t laugh. I love code.

Macroeconomics – I also love business. So, no worries here. It could be craaazy work, but I know I’ll enjoy it.

Philosophy II – I’ve never taken philosophy, only sociology which isn’t even close to philosophy. Again, no books assigned. I’m not sure what to think.

Northern Shaolin Martial Arts – We’re required to take gym courses. Eh, I chose one that I thought would be fun. Rock Climbing was full :( Then again, I’ll be hitting up the rock wall at least once every week, anyway.

Ryan Pode
Jan 13th, 2006, 03:14:15 PM
Second semester freshman as well. My classes aren't as neat as any of the ones you all are taking.

History of World Civilizations since the mid-16th Century
Introduction to Politics
Elementary Statistics
General Biology II
Public Speaking

It knocks off the rest of my gen. ed's and I have no friday classes.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jan 13th, 2006, 05:32:42 PM
Do discrete mathamatics wear a lot of black, grey and beige, blend into the wood work, and basically act very proper all of the time?

Pierce Tondry
Jan 13th, 2006, 05:43:27 PM
I'm in my last full-time semester. Took me awhile to get here.

Econ 307: Money and Banking
Econ 491: Senior Seminar in Economics
Econ 491: Economics of Ecology and Biodiversity
Econ 491: Introduction to Econometrics
Spch 321: Effective Communication for Business Professionals
Mgmt 319: Organizational Behavior

When this set of courses is over I will have two more to take, but I will already be graduated by the time I take them. Go me!

Nathanial K'cansce
Jan 13th, 2006, 07:04:57 PM
I'm going to be starting my second to last full semester. Need to stay an extra semester next year to finish up everything I need for my degree in Mechanical Engineering.

ME435 - Applied Aerodynamics
ME424 - Control Systems in Mechanical Engineering
ME494 - Senior Project 2
Coli331E - Cinema and Violence

Cincema and Violence -
Investigates the representations of violence in cinema. Examines the articulations of violence and the relations certain films pose between religious and political, private and public spheres, hegemonic powers and "the other," good and evil. Violence in films is explored along the lines of race, class, ethnicity and gender, and the potential for a subversive way to represent violence is questioned. Films viewed in class may include Full Metal Jacket (S. Kubrick, USA, 1987), Blade Runner (R. Scott, USA, 1982), Hard-Boiled (J. Woo, Hong Kong, 1992), Underground (E. Kusturica, Yugoslavia, 1995), Fargo (J. and E. Coen, USA, 1996), The Peddler (M. Makhmalbaf, Iran, 1986), Cries and Whispers (I. Bergman, Sweden, 1972), Sweetie (J. Campion, Australia, 1989), Vagabond (A. Varda, France, 1985), Xiu Xiu, The Sent Down Girl (J. Chen, China/USA, 1998), Chinatown (R. Polanski, USA, 1974), Persona (I. Bergman, Sweden, 1966), The Terrorist (S. Sivan, India, 1999), The Godfather (F. F. Coppola, USA, 1972), Four Little Girls (S. Lee, USA, 1997) and Night and Fog (A. Resnais, France, 1955).

Control Systems -
Introduction to classical and modern control systems as they relate to mechanical engineering. Modeling, analysis and design of control systems.

Aerodynamics - Basically, we'll be studying fluid dynamics and thermodynamics principles and how they relate to the flight of objects, along with analytical techniques to predict aircraft preformance!

Senior Project 2 - Continuation of Senior Project 1, where we were assigned a team, and a company/faculty member/other, and given a problem to solve (they wanted us to go through the design process and then report/present our 'final design concept' at the end of the semester). Long story short, I'm not sure if my team is continuing what we started in the Fall semester, or if we have a new project (yay for uncertainties! it was great not knowing what we were doing/needed until the last 2 weeks of the semester). whatever we end up doing, it will be eating up most of my free time.

Classes/Tech Electives I passed up - Intro to Finite Element Theory (I was seriously considering taking this class, but I've always wanted to take a course in Aero...) and... Intermediate Dynamics... *shudder*

Khendon Sevon
Jan 13th, 2006, 09:58:31 PM
Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
Do discrete mathamatics wear a lot of black, grey and beige, blend into the wood work, and basically act very proper all of the time?

I hope so! It'll make the class more interesting ;)

Ryan Pode
Jan 13th, 2006, 10:47:32 PM
Discerete Math is deciding who gets the yacht in deaths without wills.

Miranda Tarkin
Jan 14th, 2006, 11:32:56 AM
Anthropology (ANT 202) - Introduction to Social and Cultural Anthropology

Basic Nurse Assistant Training (BNA 100) - This course offers a basic study of principles and procedures used by the nurse assistant in long term care, home health settings and hospitals

Basic Nurse Assistant Job Training (BNA 105) - This course is designed as a co-requisite to assist the student to understand today's health care workplace and the role of the Certified Nursing Assistant

Basics of Nutrition (NSC 113) - An introduction to the concepts and principles of the science of nutrition

Thought I share my semester too ^^

11 credits of evil :lol

Dasquian Belargic
Jan 14th, 2006, 12:43:43 PM
I don't start again until Jan 30th, but when I do I'll be taking these modules...

- American Genre Writing (Drama, Poetry and Prose)
- Other Canons (Contemporary and World Literature)
- Special Author Study (Thomas Hardy)

That's for my BA in English. For our first year we do just 3 modules per semester, all compulsory. I have 29 books to read before the semester begins.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jan 14th, 2006, 03:29:34 PM
wow 29 books!

Good luck ^_^;

Mu Satach
Jan 14th, 2006, 08:39:29 PM
Begining Spanish 1010 - First-year Spanish for students who have never taken Spanish. This course develops listening and reading strategies with an emphasis on oral and written forms of communication.

thats the one that's going to kill me... because it killed me last term. :p

Dasquian Belargic
Jan 15th, 2006, 08:35:17 AM
Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
wow 29 books!

Good luck ^_^;

Correction - 26 books, and they are:

Charlotte Perkins Gilman, The Yellow Wallpaper
Jean Rhys, Wide Sargasso Sea
Angela Carter, The Bloody Chamber
Carol Ann Duffy, Collected Poems
Adrienne Rich, Collected Poems
Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness
Chinua Achebe, Things Fall Apart
Hanif Kureishi, My Beautiful Launderette
Toni Morrison, The Bluest Eye
Sally Morgan, My Place
Thomas Pynchon, V
C S Lewis, The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe
Annie Proulx, Close Range
David Peace, GB84
Alan Warner, Morvern Caller
Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass
Emily Dickinson, The Complete Poems
Robert Frost, The Road Not Taken and Other Poems
Edward Albee, Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
David Mamet, Glengarry Glen Ross
Edgar Allan Poe, Tales of Mystery and Imagination
Frederick Douglass, Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, An American Slave
Jane Smiley, The All True Travels and Adventures of Lidie Newton
Thomas Hardy, Jude the Obscure
Thomas Hardy, Far from the Madding Crowd
Thomas Hardy, Tess of the d'Urbervilles

Wyl Staedtler
Jan 15th, 2006, 11:42:30 AM
Originally posted by Dasquian Belargic
Correction - 26 books, and they are:

Toni Morrison, The Bluest Eye

I'm sorry. :(

Arya Ravenwing
Jan 16th, 2006, 01:20:43 PM
Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness
These are not easy books to read. That being said, this one is fantastic. For the cliff notes version (and it will make reading the book easier, actually) watch Apocalypse Now.

Pierce Tondry
Jan 16th, 2006, 02:03:33 PM
I came back to this thread. Hello thread!

Khendon:

Discrete mathematics – I don’t know what to expect. I’ve heard if you’re good at computer science, you’re good at discrete mathematics.

I don't know you, but I know this statement is true. If you are good at CS, you will do fine here.

Macroeconomics – I also love business. So, no worries here. It could be craaazy work, but I know I’ll enjoy it.

If this is a 200-level course (which I suspect it is) then this will be easy work. I got a B in my Macro Principles class- if you'd like I could give you a little heads-up on what to expect.

Dasq: You are an ace at literature and writing. I know you will do fine, but I want you to know I am cheering you on!

Miranda: Same thing I said to Dasq applies to you, except change "literature and writing" to pharmacy stuff. Good luck!

Khendon Sevon
Jan 16th, 2006, 03:27:37 PM
Yeah, macro is 200 level. Like I said, I’m not too worried. Thanks for the offer though.

Pierce Tondry
Jan 16th, 2006, 04:16:08 PM
No problem. I love talking shop, so if you get stumped on anything economic, let me know. Otherwise, best of luck in your class.

Wei Wu Wei
Jan 18th, 2006, 01:08:29 PM
Hey, Jen. I readThe Bluest Eye when I was a freshman. It was ok, I guess.

I've heard good things about Chinua Achebe's work though. Let me know how you like it.

Classes are unfolding well. I wrote two one page papers--one about why I should die, and another one about why I shouldn't. That was fun.

For senior colloquium I'm going to write an essay about sin and hell and how people tend to make a bigger deal out of these two issues than they should. Mostly it's an anti "turn or burn" paper. And I shall entitle it zOMG, U mayk teh bebe jeebus cry!!!!1 I kid you not.

Anbira Hicchoru
Jan 18th, 2006, 02:47:00 PM
Chinua Achebe books have a lot of yams in them. I'm serious. They're all about eating yams.

Dasquian Belargic
Jan 18th, 2006, 03:56:13 PM
I am about half way through Things Fall Apart and I can confirm that, as Charley says, there are a lot of yams.

It's a nice break from the other texts I have to study. It's much easier to read.

Sean Piett
Jan 18th, 2006, 09:43:37 PM
I will never forget the phrase 'manly as a yam'. I try to include it in conversation every now and again.