PDA

View Full Version : Glory Road

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 11th, 2006, 06:54:19 PM
This comes out this weekend. It has to do with the Texas Western Basketball team that beat Kentucky for the national title back in 1966. The team did it with 5 black starting players vs all white Kentucky. It was a huge upset, probably one of the greatest in college basketball history. The movie looks like it might be very good, probably will go catch it sometime next week.

CMJ
Jan 11th, 2006, 07:28:32 PM
It was a landmark victory. Not really that big of an upset though. If i recall Texas Western was a top 10 team if I remember right. It was a socially relevant event(like Jackie Robinson) because Kentucky had an all white team, but really the "upset" portion is a bit overdone. ;)

It does look like it could be a good movie though.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 11th, 2006, 09:27:36 PM
I think at the time it was a shocker because of that part, although I thought it was a bigger upset than that but hey I could be wrong.

Ryan Pode
Jan 11th, 2006, 10:00:12 PM
I'm not really surprised. White people just aren't great basketball players.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 11th, 2006, 10:02:09 PM
LOL well some aren't but look at Bird he was an amazing player, and back then there was segeration with black athletes, it was very unfair.

Ryan Pode
Jan 11th, 2006, 10:05:26 PM
Yes, one good one in all of basketball, ever.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 11th, 2006, 10:06:50 PM
I could think of a couple others, admitely it isn't a large list.

CMJ
Jan 11th, 2006, 10:08:49 PM
Originally posted by Ryan Pode
Yes, one good one in all of basketball, ever.

That's utter crap. I could list about 30 without even trying. Your comments are borderline racist rubbish.

BTW - Texas Western was even more highly though of than I thought. Quoted and bolded for emphasis.

Texas Western becomes the first NCAA champion to start five blacks, upsetting top-ranked Kentucky's all-white team of Adolph Rupp in the final in College Park, Md. Texas Western coach Don Haskins made one key change in his starting lineup: he used three guards against the small but speedy Wildcats. Bobby Joe Hill, Texas Western's 5-foot-10 bolt of lightning in the backcourt, sets the tone early in the 72-65 victory when he twice steals the ball from Kentucky players and scores layups.

The Miners took the lead midway in the first half and never relinquished it, though Kentucky gets within a point early in the second half. Texas Western, which was ranked No. 3 going into the tournament, finishes with a 28-1 record.

Hill leads all scorers with 20 points, while 6-foot-7, 240-pound center Dave ("Big Daddy") Lattin gets 16 points and grabs nine rebounds and guard Orsten ("Little O") Artis has 15 points and eight rebounds. Kentucky's Pat Riley and Lou Dampier each score 19, though Riley shoots 8-of-22 from the field.

Ryan Pode
Jan 11th, 2006, 10:16:30 PM
I was being sarcastic. :\

Jedieb
Jan 11th, 2006, 10:17:10 PM
I think Ryan is kidding, at least I hope he is.
Steve Nash anyone? Jason Williams? This young floppy haired white kid in college that everyone keeps comparing to Bird? Like CMJ said, we could probably list dozens if we felt like it. Or we could just talk about the 86 Celtics.

Jedieb
Jan 11th, 2006, 10:20:01 PM
I was being sarcastic. :\
I figured you were joking. You know how the net is sometimes, you sometimes just don't get what a person really means from reading what they've typed. Except if I'm talking about right wing nut jobs. These people need to be strapped down and forced to listen Celine Dion.

Ryan Pode
Jan 11th, 2006, 10:22:27 PM
I myself am an aspiring white athlete. Except not really. Although, I live like 2 minutes away from a guy Eric Hayes. Went to middle school with him and used to play street ball with him. He's white and he will be the next big thing at Maryland. Gaurenteed.

Jedieb
Jan 11th, 2006, 10:24:22 PM
Shouldn't you guys just give up and play hockey? Or you could always try to become jockeys!

Good night Cleveland! :crack

Ryan Pode
Jan 11th, 2006, 10:28:03 PM
Lacrosse. Fastest sport on two feet. Back on subject, I do want to see this movie, come friday.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 11th, 2006, 10:30:53 PM
LOL
Oh and Wow about Texas Western I didn't think it was ranked that high. Maybe the upset has just been exaggerated over time.

CMJ
Jan 11th, 2006, 10:32:30 PM
Sorry folks. But you know there is the whole "white people aren't athletic" thing that floats around all the time. There's a reason why minorities have always dominated sports - of course it could be construed as racist too I guess. :p

Before African Americans started to dominate football, basketball, etc., who dominated athletics? The downtrodden immigrants. Class is what forces people to become great athletes - as way out. Unfortunately that means usually minorities are the poorer classes. Has been ever since the Greek Olympics and the Roman Gladiatorial games.

Ryan Pode
Jan 11th, 2006, 10:32:31 PM
I guess it was a big deal, cos I've never heard of the Western Texas basketball powerhouse since.

Ryan Pode
Jan 11th, 2006, 10:34:02 PM
I forget who it was that made this argument, but the reason Blacks are better athletes is because when they were brought over from Africa, as slaves, only the physically strongest and mentally toughest survived, essentially survival of the fittest. Years later, all the good genes intermixed and you have very good athletes.

CMJ
Jan 11th, 2006, 10:35:11 PM
Texas Western, which became UTEP later in the 60's, is actually usually a really good team. They made the NCAA tournament last year. Now they may never have reached national prominence since(the last time they made the Sweet 16 was '92) but UTEP has a good basketball tradition.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 11th, 2006, 10:36:04 PM
Originally posted by CMJ
Sorry folks. But you know there is the whole "white people aren't athletic" thing that floats around all the time. There's a reason why minorities have always dominated sports - of course it could be construed as racist too I guess. :p

Before African Americans started to dominate football, basketball, etc., who dominated athletics? The downtrodden immigrants. Class is what forces people to become great athletes - as way out. Unfortunately that means usually minorities are the poorer classes. Has been ever since the Greek Olympics and the Roman Gladiatorial games.
Yeah that is very true, I know that is why they rose in ancient Rome and greece.

I guess it was a big deal, cos I've never heard of the Western Texas basketball powerhouse since.

Me either and its Texas-El Paso now, of course it could have just faltered much like San Francisco did after the 60's.

CMJ
Jan 11th, 2006, 10:40:08 PM
I forget who it was that made this argument, but the reason Blacks are better athletes is because when they were brought over from Africa, as slaves, only the physically strongest and mentally toughest survived, essentially survival of the fittest. Years later, all the good genes intermixed and you have very good athletes.

I think Jimmy the Greek said that. It also got him fired from CBS.

Ryan Pode
Jan 11th, 2006, 10:47:36 PM
Originally posted by CMJ
Texas Western, which became UTEP later in the 60's, is actually usually a really good team. They made the NCAA tournament last year. Now they may never have reached national prominence since(the last time they made the Sweet 16 was '92) but UTEP has a good basketball tradition.

I know UTEP is a good team. Didn't know it was once Texas Western thats all.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 11th, 2006, 10:49:55 PM
Well it has survived better than San Franscisco and New York U. Of course New York U did themselves in.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 12th, 2006, 01:46:35 PM
Good article here
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=jackson/gloryroad/060112

Ryan Pode
Jan 12th, 2006, 02:29:26 PM
So he's saying if Texas Western lost that 1966 game, Space Jam would never have been made? :\

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 12th, 2006, 03:03:00 PM
Well Magic and Michael both said they wouldn't have gone to their respective colleges if Texas Western had lost, who knows what really would have happened. It is interesting to think about.

Ryan Pode
Feb 18th, 2007, 02:11:37 AM
I just saw Glory Road. Amazing movie. It really made me think about racism and how petty it is.

Zem-El Vymes
Feb 18th, 2007, 02:28:17 AM
I think Ryan is kidding, at least I hope he is.
Steve Nash anyone? Jason Williams? This young floppy haired white kid in college that everyone keeps comparing to Bird? Like CMJ said, we could probably list dozens if we felt like it. Or we could just talk about the 86 Celtics.

Ainge, Stockton, to add. I hate them both but they had skill.