PDA

View Full Version : NFL Pick'em: Divisional Round

Pages : 1 [2]

jjwr
Jan 15th, 2006, 07:39:23 PM
The reffing has been spotty all weekend, I didn't see any of the Seahawks game but the Pats game had its share of miscues including the huge 50yd pass interference.

Ryan Pode
Jan 15th, 2006, 08:36:00 PM
During the season I pick teams I want to win, not teams that will. Here, I pick the logical choice.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 15th, 2006, 09:21:46 PM
Well I went with the teams I thought would win, I didn't see Indy getting beat, and I felt NE was going to win. I saw the Bears-Panthers game as a coin flip so I was uneasy about that one I admit.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 15th, 2006, 09:23:49 PM
oh Foster broke his ankle
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs05/news/story?id=2293750
He won't play so that really hurts the Panthers. They now become one diminisional which I think Seattle will exploit.

Jedieb
Jan 15th, 2006, 09:29:08 PM
Yeah, Ryan purposely threw his regular season picks to go with his heart. :rolleyes

Vandershank is in the last year of his contract. Gee, anybody think he'll be back in Indy next year? :lol

Two teams with 2 straight road victories are headed to the conference championship games, unbelievable. It's not far fetched to think that BOTH of them could make the Superbowl. I'm picking a Steelers Seahawks Superbowl, but I wouldn't put it past Carolina to go into Seattle and win, even without Foster. But they need Peppers. If he's out I don't see how they can win. If they can get lit up by the Bears and Grossman, then imagine what the Seahawks will do to them.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 15th, 2006, 09:43:21 PM
Yeah that is what I am thinking. Hassleback is a very underrated QB and he has all of his weapons back. Also I think Alexander will be deterimed to have a big game. I think Seattle wins by about ten maybe 27-17 something like that.

Jedieb
Jan 15th, 2006, 10:06:29 PM
The AFC Championship Game is going to be a living history lesson. Combined, the Steelers and Broncos have played in more than HALF of the AFC Championship Games. [Pittsburgh (13) Denver (8)] Together these two franchises have played in 11 Superbowls and won 6 of them. [Steelers 4-1, Denver 2-4] Should be a great game next week with a lot of old time AFC highlights on ESPN and NFL Network.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 15th, 2006, 10:15:13 PM
Its the opposite for the NFC, Seattle has been in one and Carolina 2. The Raiders beat Seattle back in 84 (although it was the AFC) and Carolina beat Philly and lost to Green Bay.

Ryan Pode
Jan 15th, 2006, 10:50:00 PM
I didn't throw them, but if it was a close choice between a team I hated and another team, I'd pick the other team. Or wishful thinking some times.

sirdizzy
Jan 15th, 2006, 10:52:37 PM
I still can't get over all you guys just yesterday spouting crap like there is no way in a million years the colts will lose then they cough it up and all I hear is choke.

I believe it was me over a month ago who commented how Peyton Manning and Tony Dungy were the biggest choke artists in the game and all you guys blasted me for it. I did pick Indy to win but my gut was telling me they'd lose while all you guys said the steelers had no chance in hell.

The game shouldn't have been in question for vanderjack to have to make that kick, this was supposed to be the best team in all of freaking football the game should have been over at half time. Peyton Manning is the crapiest big game QB to ever play the game. The stats don't like he has had more weapons in a decade than elway had his entire career and nary a superbowl.

I said before the playoffs Denver Vs Seattle and it almost looks like I am prophet now doesn't it.

I am not afraid of the Steelers, I might have been a little worried had it been the Colts but if we had gotten that Colts team we saw today it would have been another 41-0 time to go home peyton manning type of game.

We force you to make mistakes then we burn you with them. I am hearing the Steelers won't be turning the ball over from some of you, lets not forget the most sure handed team was the patriots with 6 turnovers in 10 games we forced them to make 5 in one afternoon.

The steelers will turn the ball over and they will do it more than once.

sirdizzy
Jan 15th, 2006, 11:01:57 PM
Oh and on Denver now being favorites before yesterdays game I kept hearing that Denver was the best team nobody was talking about but then all the analysts (exept good ole shannon sharpe) went on to pick the patriots to win. I expect them to all be picking the steelers next week then be picking the hawks in the superbowl. I just don't think they can admit it even to themselves this isn't the same ole broncos team that would have probably beaten the colts as well, they are the best team in football right now and most of the season as well. They lost 3 games, two of them by 5 points on the road. They beat the 2 time defending champions (as a side note denver has been 4-1 against the pats in the last 5 years, this wasn't a fluke win), but I expect to see 5-6 steeler picks next week but thats ok the lombardi trophy back in denver is enough for me.

Yog
Jan 16th, 2006, 02:36:51 AM
Well, I expect Denver to win it all now that Colts are out of the race.

JMK
Jan 16th, 2006, 10:14:49 AM
I want the Steelers to win, but I think the Broncos are the clear favorites. I'm not sure if I'll pick with my head or my heart later this week.

But like I said, and Dizzy showed the example again: The bravado of NFL fans never ceases to amaze me.

jjwr
Jan 16th, 2006, 11:15:43 AM
I don't really care who wins as long as its no the Steelers.

Shannon Sharpe is a homer, its like having Theisman announce the Redskins games, it just shouldnt' be done :)

jjwr
Jan 16th, 2006, 12:41:43 PM
Peter King on CNNSI has made a few comments in his weekly article on the poor officiating, including this where he asks for Instant Replay on pass interference calls

6. I think I talked to one league official, two head coaches, a quarterback, and a GM as the day progressed on Sunday, and there was one common theme: The officials are making too many mistakes for this time of year. The one that NO ONE could believe was the Asante Samuel interference on Ashley Lelie. As the GM said: "Don't tell me that didn't have a big part in the outcome of the game because the game ended up not being close. It was huge.'' I say: Allow replay for pass interference. I know it opens up a can of worms, but it's just too big a problem six or eight times a year, and it's a problem that can be corrected.

jjwr
Jan 16th, 2006, 12:49:05 PM
Check #2 on this list and then read some of the responses...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/andrew_perloff/01/16/divisional/index.html

Funny stuff, to be honest I feel the same way, after watching the game I felt the Pats gave the game away more than the Bronco's won it. No doubt Bronco's are a good team but the Pats killed themselves, it happens, Bronco's didn't make mistakes and move on.

sirdizzy
Jan 16th, 2006, 01:26:53 PM
Hey if the broncos win the superbowl that means they will have won 3 superbowls in the last 10 years, thats as many as the patriots have won in the same time frame. So wheres the talk of Denver being a Dynasty huh.

CMJ
Jan 16th, 2006, 01:35:24 PM
Originally posted by sirdizzy
Hey if the broncos win the superbowl that means they will have won 3 superbowls in the last 10 years, thats as many as the patriots have won in the same time frame. So wheres the talk of Denver being a Dynasty huh.

Well....Denver is doing it with mostly different players. The 5th title the 49ers won isn't usually included in their dynasty. They had a huge gap where they weren't exactly playoff competitive. This was the first game they've won since Elway's last game. Dynasties are generally mentioned in decade long gaps. Hence 60's Packers, 70's Steelers, 80's 49ers, 90's Cowboys, 00's Patriots. The Bronco's won in the 90's and the 00's so it kinda disqualifes from that too.

Nathanial K'cansce
Jan 16th, 2006, 01:43:31 PM
Because Denver's were all spread out. Pats did it in half the time it will take the Bronco's to do it. Thus, no dynasty.

Denver's a good team, I'll give them that. Really tough at home, good run game, good o-line, decent pass game. I've seen some of their games where they put up great numbers. Did they play solid agaist the pats this weekend? Of course they did, that's why they won the game. But their play wasn't the best I've sen, nor the best they are capable of. They looked a bit rusty, and if they can't get their act together and bring up their play to what they are capable of, then the Steelers, who are HOT right now (and lucky) are going to be giving the Bronc's a hurting at home.

I have a feeling that Medium sized Ben is going to pick apart a defense that hasn't really impressed me all season. They've let too many medicore teams score too many points which kept them into games. Games which, if Denver is one of the best teams in the league, they should have blown them out. And they should never have lost to the Giants or the 'Phins. There defence is going to have to stop a Pitt offense that has proven it can throw with the best and run with the best.

On the other hand, I also think that if Pitt is to win, they are going to have to play an almost perfect game on both offense and defence.

JMK
Jan 16th, 2006, 03:00:02 PM
http://blogs.herald.com/random_evidence/2006/01/david_carr_for_.html

I think I make that trade.

Jedieb
Jan 16th, 2006, 03:12:08 PM
I still can't get over all you guys just yesterday spouting crap like there is no way in a million years the colts will lose then they cough it up and all I hear is choke.

I believe it was me over a month ago who commented how Peyton Manning and Tony Dungy were the biggest choke artists in the game and all you guys blasted me for it. I did pick Indy to win but my gut was telling me they'd lose while all you guys said the steelers had no chance in hell.

I can't believe you still want to take credit for Indy bashing when you picked them to win like most of us. Take a stand and stick to it! ;)

Yesterday was an UPSET. Indy was favored and most people had them picked to win. Just count your lucky stars that the Steelers beat Indy for you. Now the Broncos will only lose the AFC Championship game by single, not double digits.

The Steelers changed gears in the second half and stopped throwing and tried to close the game out by grinding it out. To an extent it worked. They got a TD out of it, took time off the clock, and limited the Colts possessions. If it wasn't for that overturned call, they would have run away with the game. But in that first half they were piling up yards and 2 TD's through the air. It'll be interesting to see how they attack Denver on both sides of the ball. The Colts blew a lot of blocking assignments yesterday and let blitzers get free hits on Manning. I don't expect Denver's line to make the same mistakes.

Jedieb
Jan 16th, 2006, 03:16:30 PM
Originally posted by JMK
http://blogs.herald.com/random_evidence/2006/01/david_carr_for_.html

I think I make that trade.
Bad trade for Houston, good for the Dolphins. I really think the Texans are letting that one bowl game effect their better judgement. They already have a first round QB and he's got a few years under his belt. If they get Young they'll be starting from scratch. And if they think he's going to start playing Marino or Big Ben type rookie QB football they're on crack. You see that happen once every 20 years.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 16th, 2006, 03:26:37 PM
I really hope Pittsburgh wins. Actually, I would take anybody winning the SB over Denver. I am rooting for Seattle at the moment but I would rout for Pittsburgh if it was them and Carolina.

JMK
Jan 16th, 2006, 03:35:19 PM
Originally posted by Jedieb
Bad trade for Houston, good for the Dolphins. I really think the Texans are letting that one bowl game effect their better judgement. They already have a first round QB and he's got a few years under his belt. If they get Young they'll be starting from scratch. And if they think he's going to start playing Marino or Big Ben type rookie QB football they're on crack. You see that happen once every 20 years.

That one bowl game created such an upswell in the fans. They're now basically ORDERING the Texans to draft Young. I believe in teams sticking to their philosophy and sticking by the people they've invested in. There's no reason for them to give up on Carr, he's shown plenty of promise and if he had even bad protection he'd be much better. It looks like they have pylons and turnstiles as O-linement right now. Young may be fast, but a first year QB can't out run an entire team of NFL defenders. You're right Eb, that would be a BAD move for the Texans.

But the Dolphins would be wise to push for that trade I think.

Jedieb
Jan 16th, 2006, 03:36:59 PM
I'm watching NFL Live and their Strange but True segment shows just how out of whack this weekend was:

Worst Defense of the Weekend?
Da Bears, 29 pts and over 400 yards

Colts Offense?
18 Points, last 8 only because of a dubious overturn on a "judgement" call.

Field Goals
Vineteri goes wide right in a playoff game
Most accurate kicker in the league misses by a mile

Turnovers
The Champs turned the ball over FIVE times.
Jerome Bettis fumbled. Happened against the Jets last year in the playoffs but hadn't happened in the regular season since 03.

Who Needs an MVP?
Alexander goes out of the game after 9 yards and a fumble, and the Seahawks offense doesn't miss a beat.

Jedieb
Jan 16th, 2006, 04:08:24 PM
Looks like the league is stepping up and admitting the ref blew the call in yesterday's game.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs05/news/story?id=2294309

I'm surprised, I didn't think they'd admit it.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 16th, 2006, 05:05:44 PM
Yeah that is surprising. About the Carr trade JMK talked about that would be dumb for Houston unless they got a #1 pick out of it then maybe. Really though everything I read says they are taking Bush, that is according to ESPN.

jjwr
Jan 16th, 2006, 06:05:50 PM
They may trade him but they won't trade him for Ricky Williams. There is a serious lack of quality Franchise QB's in the NFL but there are a lot of incredible RB's coming up in Free Agency. And they have Domanick Davis.

If they trade him it'll be for draft picks or line help.

As for Young, its not necessarly just how he played but what it would mean for the Franchise, they would instantly sell out every game for the next 5 years and make a mint in Jersey and other merchandising sales. Its hard to argue against that.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 16th, 2006, 09:09:21 PM
Really Young would be better served sitting for a year. The current rumor is he will go 3rd to the Titans and will sit behind Mcnair (this year will most likely be his last). I think that works out the best for him.

jjwr
Jan 16th, 2006, 09:29:47 PM
Don't forget McNair will probably be a free agent this year as he's due a 50M bonus in the spring and he does want to tutor Young. If the Texans move Carr they could sign McNair to run the team for a year.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 16th, 2006, 09:35:34 PM
I think he wants to restructure his contract to stay in Tenn, that is what I heard.

jjwr
Jan 17th, 2006, 07:37:00 AM
Pats just lost Mangini to the Jets...d'oh!

JMK
Jan 17th, 2006, 07:44:06 AM
It didn't seem to hurt when you lost Crennel AND Weis. I wouldn't sweat this until you definetly see something's wrong.

Ryan Pode
Jan 17th, 2006, 10:28:02 AM
Originally posted by jjwr
Pats just lost Mangini to the Jets...d'oh!

Welcome to my world friend.

JMK
Jan 17th, 2006, 10:33:15 AM
I'm glad that I'm not in that world. See, in my world, we 'lost' Wannstedt and we really did lose Norv Turner...not quite what I'd call devastating losses. ;)

Ryan Pode
Jan 17th, 2006, 10:39:37 AM
In recent memory:

Marvin Lewis
Jack Del Rio
Mike Nolan
Mike Singletary
Donnie Henderson
Matt Simon

3 are head coaches, 2 are candidates to be them.

jjwr
Jan 17th, 2006, 03:49:52 PM
Oddly enough I would take both Lewis and Del Rio over the current Head Coach :)

Ryan Pode
Jan 17th, 2006, 04:02:01 PM
Oddly enough, the Ravens defense hasn't been a problem, especially considering all of those but Matt Simon were defensive coaches. Thar be a curse in Baltimore.

JMK
Jan 17th, 2006, 04:54:07 PM
Dude, you won the Superbowl a few years ago. People still think of that Ravens defense when they see that logo. There's no curse in Baltimore, at least not where football is concerned.

Ryan Pode
Jan 17th, 2006, 07:09:09 PM
Offensively there is.