PDA

View Full Version : College Bowl Season

CMJ
Dec 20th, 2005, 05:44:13 PM
It begins in about twent minutes. I decided not to have a contest this year because there didn't seem to be alot of interest. Still wanted to make a thread. Anyways, tonight we have....

New Orleans Bowl (at Lafayette)
Southern Miss vs
Arkansas St

Being a Sunbelt member ourselves I'm pulling for the Indians. However USM will probably win handily. So, in the next 3 weeks we'll have 28 of these.

Are ya ready?
:smokin

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 20th, 2005, 06:59:45 PM
I was interested of course I think I was the only one to say anything heh. Oh well, maybe we can just pick the winners and not really call it a contest.

CMJ
Dec 20th, 2005, 07:15:29 PM
Yeah, I figure we'd just discuss them one by one or whatever.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 20th, 2005, 07:24:54 PM
That is cool, I think that might be easier.

CMJ
Dec 20th, 2005, 10:44:09 PM
USM wins the New Orleans Bowl 31-19. The difference in the game was the Golden Eagles scored 14 points off of ASU turnovers. ASU didn't cash it in when SM turned it over.

CMJ
Dec 21st, 2005, 10:40:10 PM
Toledo beat the ever living tar out of UTEP in the GMAC Bowl.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 21st, 2005, 11:07:07 PM
That game wasn't even close. The first game I looking forward to is the 27th when Clemson plays Colorado. I think Clemson can take them :)

CMJ
Dec 22nd, 2005, 10:47:28 PM
Wow, the Las Vegas Bowl turned into a great game. Calforina looked like they were going to blow BYU out, but the Cougars came back. However, the Golden Bears held on 35-28, thanks to a late interception.

CMJ
Dec 23rd, 2005, 01:24:02 AM
The Naval Academy destroyed Colorado State 51-30 in the Poinsettia Bowl. Frankly the game probably wasn't that close.

CMJ
Dec 23rd, 2005, 10:40:57 PM
The Forth Worth Bowl was an absolute thrashing. Kansas just plain whipped Houston 42-13. At least I got to hear a few minutes of their victory chant(which they way they draw it out sounds like some meeianc chant or something).

Rooooooooock

Chaaaaaaaaalk

Jayhaaaaaaawk

KKKKKKKKKkKKK

UUUUUUUUUUUU

Indeed, they rocked the Cougars.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 27th, 2005, 07:25:03 PM
Big win by Clemson, Davis is a stud, it is going to be fun watching him with Clemson the next few years.

CMJ
Dec 29th, 2005, 05:38:05 PM
I was out of town visiting family for the better part of a week. I missed some great games apparently. :x

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 29th, 2005, 06:43:02 PM
The Alamo Bowl game was very exciting.

CMJ
Dec 29th, 2005, 07:16:49 PM
So was the Hawaii Bowl among others.

Utah just beat GA Tech handily in the Emerald City Bowl.

CMJ
Dec 29th, 2005, 10:55:37 PM
Oklahoma beats Oregon in a wonderful Holiday Bowl.

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 30th, 2005, 09:39:34 AM
booo!

CMJ
Dec 30th, 2005, 03:02:42 PM
Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
booo!

Well it was a good game. :p

The Music City Bowl was also a good game with Virginia eeking out a victory over Minnesota.

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 30th, 2005, 05:18:05 PM
I actually don't care except for the fact that my husband is a Ducks fan. Being from California and from a college with no football team, it really didn't matter to me who won.

But it upset my hubby. So, booo!

:p

CMJ
Dec 30th, 2005, 05:30:02 PM
UCLA outlasted Northwestern 50-38 in a game they were down by 22 in. It also lasted about 5 hours. :lol

CMJ
Dec 30th, 2005, 06:20:43 PM
Missouri got down 21-0 and then beats South Carolina 38-31 in the Independence Bowl. Two huge comebacks today.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 30th, 2005, 07:02:23 PM
Yeah I saw the end of the SC one, that was a shocker, heh makes me happy though since Clemson won and South Carolina lost :p

CMJ
Dec 30th, 2005, 09:53:49 PM
So much for the Peach Bowl being a great matchup. LSU destroyed Miami.

CMJ
Dec 31st, 2005, 01:10:42 PM
NC State wins a defensive, hard fought Meineke Car Care Bowl over Jedieb's South Florida Bulls.

CMJ
Dec 31st, 2005, 03:35:16 PM
What a great Liberty Bowl with Tulsa holding off Fresno State 31-24.

CMJ
Dec 31st, 2005, 06:33:33 PM
The Houston Bowl was a real battle. maybe the best of the season so far. TCU edged out Iowa State 27-24.

CMJ
Jan 2nd, 2006, 01:58:23 PM
The two early games were both really good. The Outback Bowl had Florida withstanding a late Iowa rally 31-24. The Cotton Bowl was a classic defensive struggle 13-10.

Sanis Prent
Jan 2nd, 2006, 05:46:58 PM
Yay we won.

Yay Auburn lost.

Yay Tenness.....haha lol.

Ok can get drunk now.

CMJ
Jan 2nd, 2006, 05:53:35 PM
Didn't surprise me that Wisconson won, but it was shocking they dominated Auburn. It wasn't as close as the 24-10 final.

In the Gator Bowl, Va Tech was outplayed through most of the game by Louisville, but they had a good 6 minute stretch where they put up 22 points and won going away.

Jedieb
Jan 2nd, 2006, 06:22:37 PM
Originally posted by CMJ
NC State wins a defensive, hard fought Meineke Car Care Bowl over Jedieb's South Florida Bulls.

I saw this game with my wife's family in Indiana. I was proudly wearing a USF shirt and cursing up a storm. Actually, I behaved myself because her family only sees me every once in awhile and I didn't want them to think to think the woman gets beaten on a regular basis. I could not however, control the volume of my voice. It was on full blown Cuban and that's high enough to cause permanent hearing damage if you're not accustomed to it. That was actually the first time in our school's history that we've been shut out. We missed a FG early and could have gotten a cheap FG towards the end but the Bulls kept battling and going for the end zone. Not a bad effort for our first bowl game. We're young and coming up fast, beware America!!!

CMJ
Jan 2nd, 2006, 07:18:29 PM
NC State has a terrific defense, but still I think yall need some better athletes on that side(offense) of the ball.

I was really impressed with your defense though. Really scrappy. The Bulls are not far away from winning the Big East. I'd say in the next 5 years they very well could.

CMJ
Jan 2nd, 2006, 07:46:06 PM
Ohio State beats Notre Dame in the Fiesta bowl 34-20. A pretty decent game, though a tad overhyped.

Cirrsseeto Quez
Jan 2nd, 2006, 07:46:19 PM
Thank you for losing Notre Dame. Its like my late Christmas present!

CMJ
Jan 2nd, 2006, 11:43:01 PM
West Virginia wins a shootout over Georgia in the Sugar Bowl.

Colonel Karrnage
Jan 2nd, 2006, 11:44:22 PM
I owe my dad a bottle of whiskey over that game :mad

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 3rd, 2006, 10:14:00 AM
I was shocked with the West Virginia game, I never expected them to beat Georgia.

Jedieb
Jan 3rd, 2006, 03:49:13 PM
Originally posted by Colonel Karrnage
I owe my dad a bottle of whiskey over that game :mad
Imagine that, a West Virginia game somehow gets connected to a bottle of whiskey. What are the odds?

Originally posted by CMJ
NC State has a terrific defense, but still I think yall need some better athletes on that side(offense) of the ball.

I was really impressed with your defense though. Really scrappy. The Bulls are not far away from winning the Big East. I'd say in the next 5 years they very well could.
We can run, but our passing game blows. We just need to keep up our profile and we'll get some of those offensively talented Florida recruits.

Ryan Pode
Jan 4th, 2006, 12:00:37 AM
'Bout freakin' time that game ended. I tuned in, in the second and had a 4 hour game.

CMJ
Jan 4th, 2006, 12:02:18 AM
One of the best games I've ever seen.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 4th, 2006, 03:51:41 PM
That game went on for a while, although it was a very good game, a lot better than I had ever thought.

Jedieb
Jan 4th, 2006, 07:41:57 PM
I stayed up late and saw most of the game. I agree, it was a GREAT game. A gem of a defensive battle. But then it just got out of hand in overtime. I felt like hopping a flight and killing me some place kickers! :shootin

USC makes a big special teams play to avoid handing Texas the ball with no points on the board. Texas is moving now so it looks like the shootout is on. Whoa, 4th and a long 1 and they're going for it.... ANOTHER big defensive/special teams play for USC. Hey, I thought their defense sucked?

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 4th, 2006, 07:57:17 PM
Texas kept themselves in decent shape by stopping them on 4th down.

jjwr
Jan 4th, 2006, 10:04:57 PM
So much for Reggie Bush, their other back just scored his 3rd TD. He nowh as 26 on the year, why has there been no word on this guy but tons of type on Bush?

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:24:54 PM
Amazing comeback by Texas down by 12 and Young brings them back by himself. He was amazing.

Ryan Pode
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:26:07 PM
That was a great game. Damn. Vince Young should go to the draft now before he screws himself up next season.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:28:51 PM
I know he looks like a young Steve Mcnair out there. He impressed me more than Leinhart

Ryan Pode
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:30:05 PM
White impressed me a lot more than Bush. He had that crucial stiff arm on a run right before a TD, I believe.

Rutabaga
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:30:18 PM
I'm a lifelong USC hater, so this was a most excellent Rose Bowl game as far as I'm concerned. :crack

CMJ
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:50:36 PM
I hate the University of Texas. I'm gonna jump ou my window now.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 4th, 2006, 11:55:01 PM
Originally posted by CMJ
I hate the University of Texas. I'm gonna jump ou my window now.
Ouch I went in pretty much rooting for no one and was just glad it was an exciting game. Young did amaze me.

jjwr
Jan 5th, 2006, 08:00:34 AM
Young was incredible, 200yds rushing...wow!

As for the Draft, there was initial word that after looking at the top 10 teams in the draft he was considering going back to college for his senior year but that was before his monster game.

At #1 Texans don't need a QB but Jets, Titans and Saints do and they are all top 10 pickers.

Anbira Hicchoru
Jan 5th, 2006, 08:24:26 AM
Hooray USC lost :)

JMK
Jan 5th, 2006, 09:41:55 AM
If this game produced anything it will be a very interesting 2006 draft. I think Young would be nuts to go back to Texas. His stock will never be higher than it is right now. The same could have been said for Leinart last year but he was in an exceptional situation.

CMJ
Jan 5th, 2006, 10:32:00 AM
It was a great game. But honestly, having UT win the national Championship is akin to having the Yankees win the World Series or the Lakers win the NBA title. Not in the fact that they've won so many times...but in the hatred factor. Alums and hangers on of The University(they have shirts that say just that) are the most arrogant stuck up snobs in the world that beat their chest about every little accomplishment they have and harken back to their glory years with Darrell Royal. No more looking back necessary now.

I guess for you folks that didn't watch much college fooball this year White's game would be surprising. Bush and White pretty much split time throughout the season, with SC giving the rock to whoever was "hot". White, the bruiser, was definitely the hot back, but many times it was just the opposite.

Anyways....it's gonna be a rough offseason dealing wih Texas being champs. Even worse is we(NT) open AT Texas next season. :x

Jedieb
Jan 5th, 2006, 03:15:11 PM
Sorry Court, that must have been a tough game to watch. I don't think any of the big 3 (Bush, Leinert, Young) embarrassed themselves last night. Bush had a TD and decent receiving and rushing yards. Leinert had a great second half and ended the night with over 70% in completions. But Young was simply AMAZING. 4th and 5, everyone in the stadium knows the play has to go through him and he still makes it. But it was in the previous drive that Carroll really screwed up. I know they split time throughout the year, but the Niners and Texans weren't playing the White Bowl last week, they were playing the Reggie Bush Bowl. If you're in the middle of the biggest drive of the game, Reggie HAS to be in the backfield. Even if the play doesn't go through him, you put him in motion and he's going to take some defenders with him. That was a bad play call for 4th and 2. Even if it had been successful throughout the game, they never used it on a 4th and short like that. They played right into Texas' defense.

CMJ
Jan 5th, 2006, 04:00:07 PM
I know officiating mistakes happen in every game and what not, but the "incomplete pass" that was a fumble would have sealed the game for SC. >D

Figrin D'an
Jan 5th, 2006, 05:01:58 PM
Not to take away from Texas' accomplishement (or rather, Vince Young's accomplishment... let's face it, he's their entire team), but USC shot themselves in the foot multiple times in that game, and were on the short end of two horrible calls which, either one, would have given them momentum to take control of the game.

Maybe I've bought into the USC kool-aid a little too much, but I'm still convinced that USC would win that matchup against the Longhorns 7 or 8 times out of 10.

Anyway... Texas won, grats to them.

It seems possible that four of the top five picks in the '06 draft were playing in that game (Bush, Leinart, White, Yonug).

CMJ
Jan 5th, 2006, 05:06:00 PM
I won't say that Young is UT's entire team(they have a really solid defense) but he's about 90% of their offense. He was extraordinary last night.

Jedi Master Carr
Jan 5th, 2006, 09:41:19 PM
Well I think Carroll messed up and should have punted on 4th down and let them go 80 some yards. Showed how little faith he had in his defense really. Of course the bone head award goes to calling the last time out when it could have helped them tie the game. USC did some horrible game managment in that 4th quarter, blew all three time outs.

Figrin D'an
Jan 6th, 2006, 06:45:04 PM
What hurt USC more was the overall defensive gameplan they chose to use. They should have blitzed Vince Young the entire game, throwing every type of package at him at their disposal. When they did blitz in the mid-4th quarter, Young had problems completing passes, and even had some issues when he decided to run. It was when USC gave Young time to find the best option, be it pass or run, that he burned them.

CMJ
Jan 6th, 2006, 07:04:52 PM
I definitely think Carrol should've sprinkled more blitzes in throught the game. But I did watch a few Texas games this season where schools blitzed him practically every play and he destroyed them running.

Sanis Prent
Jan 7th, 2006, 10:35:04 AM
Yeah, a blitz is only going to work so far against a QB with that many options available to him. Young can scramble effectively, and if you overuse that blitz, he can make you rue the day with a monster post route.