View Full Version : RIP Richard Pryor

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 10th, 2005, 03:37:39 PM
He died today age 65
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051210/ap_en_mo/obit_pryor
He will be missed :(

JMK
Dec 10th, 2005, 04:13:48 PM
That one caught me off guard. Too bad, he was hilarious in his day.

Rutabaga
Dec 10th, 2005, 04:56:37 PM
I'd heard his MS had gotten so severe that he could no longer speak, so this wasn't a huge shock to me. Still incredibly sad, though. One of the funniest, most profane, and most talented comedians ever.

:( :( :(

Jedieb
Dec 10th, 2005, 06:19:20 PM
As a kid, Silver Streak and Stir Crazy were a couple of my favorite comedies. He and Gene Wilder had some great chemistry together. His standup was some of the best ever.

Cirrsseeto Quez
Dec 10th, 2005, 07:04:04 PM
I love his routine describing him taking the white man's drug, LSD.

"I CAN'T BREATHE!!! I FORGOT HOW TO BREATHE!!!

I'M GONNA DIE!

I'M GONNA DIE!

I'M GONNA DI-HI-HI-HEY-HEY-HEY-HEY!!

GONNA-DIE-HEY-HEY-HEY-HI-HI-HI!!

HA-HI-HI-HI!!

WA-HI-HI-HI!!"

jjwr
Dec 10th, 2005, 08:46:01 PM
Wow. I knew he wasn't doing well but this is still sad.

I still love Hear no Evil, See no Evil.

Jedieb
Dec 10th, 2005, 09:04:03 PM
Superman III wasn't his fault!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CMJ
Dec 10th, 2005, 11:37:52 PM
Originally posted by Jedieb
Superman III wasn't his fault!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only thing tarnishing his legacy is that film. ;)

Liam Jinn
Dec 11th, 2005, 12:20:23 AM
:(

Darth McBain
Dec 12th, 2005, 03:21:32 PM
Yeah, I saw this and was saddened by it. With his MS, it was only a matter of time, but he was definitely a funny man. I loved him in Harlem Nights and Brewster's Millions... RIP Richard...

Akrabbim
Dec 12th, 2005, 03:42:58 PM
Did anyone see the old sketch they played on SNL with him and Chevy Chase? The two of them were doing word association. Whatever Chevy said, Richard kept saying "Honkey." At the end, Checy said N***** (they actually said it on SNL... I was a bit surprised), and Richard replied with "DEAD honkey!"

JMK
Dec 12th, 2005, 06:21:02 PM
That's classic SNL. They could never get away with that these days, but Prior could, and it made everyone laugh. There will never be another like him.

Darth McBain
Dec 12th, 2005, 09:36:18 PM
Originally posted by Akrabbim
Did anyone see the old sketch they played on SNL with him and Chevy Chase? The two of them were doing word association. Whatever Chevy said, Richard kept saying "Honkey." At the end, Checy said N***** (they actually said it on SNL... I was a bit surprised), and Richard replied with "DEAD honkey!"

That was a classic... :) I agree, JMK - you'll never see a sketch like that on network TV again.

Rutabaga
Dec 12th, 2005, 10:05:15 PM
Originally posted by Akrabbim

I remember that, that was a truly classic moment on SNL.

I also remember the way Pryor was able to laugh at himself after his *ahem* little freebasing accident. Who can forget him waving a lit match around and saying, "Guess what this is? It's Richard Pryor running down the street!"

Hilarious stuff. :)

Pierce Tondry
Dec 13th, 2005, 07:53:12 PM
I could have sworn I posted to this thread already.

|I ... cursed exams...

Richard Pryor was a hilarious man. I am going to miss him. :(