PDA

View Full Version : Cinderella Man

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 10th, 2005, 02:47:30 PM
I saw this last night, I thought it was a great film, right now in my top 5 of the year. If Paul Giamatti doesn't get an oscar nomination this time some should protest he was great in the movie. It is disapointing it didn't do as well at the box office, I think Universal made a huge mistake in when they released the movie.

CMJ
Dec 10th, 2005, 11:36:49 PM
I loved it too. The fight with Baer is epic. I'm not sure I've ever seen a boxing bout on the screen so well. Not even Raging Bull. It almost felt like we saw it in real time.

Atreyu
Dec 11th, 2005, 09:57:06 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
It is disapointing it didn't do as well at the box office, I think Universal made a huge mistake in when they released the movie.
Didn't it get released at about the same time Russell went off his rocker and chucked the phone at the concierge?

Been an Australian actor it got big news down under for ages. If the same happened in the US it may have reflected badly on the film.

CMJ
Dec 12th, 2005, 01:48:51 AM
Originally posted by Atreyu
Didn't it get released at about the same time Russell went off his rocker and chucked the phone at the concierge?

Been an Australian actor it got big news down under for ages. If the same happened in the US it may have reflected badly on the film.

It did indeed. He was savaged in the press too.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 12th, 2005, 11:53:07 AM
I still don't think that was the main reason. It may have cost the movie a couple of million but not from doing what it should have done. For example Cruise I think got more crucified by the Press than Crowe did and it didn't hurt War of the Worlds that much. I think early June was just the wrong time to release a film like that, should have been released either in late July or October.

Atreyu
Dec 15th, 2005, 12:27:36 AM
Anyways, Russell got nominated or a Golden Globe at least, so he may still redeem himself.

(provided he isn't found guilty of whatever crime throwing a phone at someone violates and is deported from the US never to return).

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 15th, 2005, 10:07:48 PM
LOL yeah he needs to stay away from the phones.

CMJ
Dec 16th, 2005, 12:23:46 AM
Crowe is probably on thr outside looking in as far as an Oscar nom goes. Giamatti is almost definitely in though. I think the Picture itself is probably about 8th or 9th as far as liklihood of making it into the top 5 goes, however Universal is pushing the hell out of it.