PDA

View Full Version : Trends and fads from your childhood

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 14th, 2005, 04:56:11 PM
When I was about 8 or 9, everyone went crazy for Pogs. I don't remember ever actually playing the game, as you were meant to, but I collected the little cardboard disks because I used to love copying the drawings. I had a pretty sizeable collection, though I have no idea where it's vanished to now. I remember around this time

GoGos, little plastic skull heads, came out then too. No one played the game you were meant to with them either. "Shag tags", rubber bracelets that supposedly entitled someone to have sex with you if they snapped them, also became popular. My mind boggled at the concept of shagging.

When I was 9 or 10, Tamigotchi arrived. I managed to keep mine alive for a long long time, and both wowed and irritated the older generations with the little plastic egg that would beep incesantly.

When I was 11ish, yo-yos came back into fashion. People wanted the latest trick yo-yo, that had lightweight metal ball bearings inside and would light up and play a tune when it was spinning.

When I was 12 Pokémon hit the UK like a sledgehammer to the face. Thousands upon thousands of Gameboys sold and Christmas day was spent choosing your first pokémon and starting on the road to catching them all.

Now your turn :)

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Nov 14th, 2005, 05:34:04 PM
Hmm. The only things that really come to mind at the moment are Polly Pocket and Littlest Pet Shop. I never was really into those, but my sister was biiiig into Littlest Pet Shop. She had tons of the sets. I do have to admit those things were really cute and amusing.

Oh, and torn jeans. All of my jeans had holes in the knees and some even had rips on the upper thigh. I remember Nike Pumps being big for a while too, and I felt like the coolest kid in the neighborhood when I got my pair :cool

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 14th, 2005, 05:36:34 PM
Er, I never was very trendy ever. Still am not. I was way into My Little Ponies and was all set to challenge the Guinness Book of World Records with the largest EVAR collection of Ponies.

They're back 'in' now, and I still want to buy them whenever I see them in the store.

Crystal
Nov 14th, 2005, 05:56:03 PM
I had some of the Littlest Pet Shop stuff. They were just so cute. :(

I also had a TON of tamagotchi and other brands of digitial pets. I still drag them out and play with them sometimes. ^_^; Recently Bandi started making them again.. so I've got some of the new ones as well. I'm so sad.

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 14th, 2005, 06:01:33 PM
I noticed that Bandai was remarketing the original Tamagotchi. I think it's because, like I said about that Jumanji-esque film, enough time has passed that the current generation of kids won't remember when it came out the first time around! It's quite amusing :)

Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
Er, I never was very trendy ever. Still am not.

Me neither, really. I just find it quite entertaining thinking about all of the rubbish that people went crazy over!

Mu Satach
Nov 14th, 2005, 07:01:56 PM
Garbage Pail Kids.

Sudoku
Nov 14th, 2005, 07:02:01 PM
I still have my first ever My Little Pony packed away somewhere.

She-ra, He-man (I remember wanting the Mosquito guy SO badly!), Ghostbusters, TMNT, Barbie, Jem, Popples, Wuzzles, and tons of 80's toys that I have forgotten. XD There are four kids in my family, all around the same ages (25, 24, 20 and 19 are our ages now), so we all shared. I remember having the Crystal Castle for She-ra, and playing with Skeletors' castle - the one with the snake head you could talk into.

And Little People. We had TONS of Little People playsets that my brother would play with. I hate that they changed how they looked :-/

Morgan Evanar
Nov 14th, 2005, 07:27:59 PM
All of the things Jenny listed, plus Magic: The Gathering. I played Magic until they started releasing 6 expansions a year.

That was the only "trend" I got into.

Jacen
Nov 15th, 2005, 12:15:21 AM
I'm going to go with: Yo-yo's, Pokemon (actually I still play at work since I don't have anythign else to do), Magic:The Gathering, TMNT, and Ghostbusters.

Droo
Nov 15th, 2005, 01:13:25 AM
For me, it all started with the He-Man action figures. Then I graduated to Ghostbusters and TMNT figures. Those were the days.

When I read the title of this thread the first thing I thought of was Pogs. They were awesome! I had millions of the bloody things! Every lunchtime, the playground was filled with kids sitting around in circles playing each other for more pogs - I think they got banned from school in the end for causing too many fights. I still have them somewhere around, I think. Along with my prized metal slammers! :D

Crystal
Nov 15th, 2005, 01:24:14 AM
Originally posted by Morgan Evanar
All of the things Jenny listed, plus Magic: The Gathering. I played Magic until they started releasing 6 expansions a year.

That was the only "trend" I got into.

Wasn't it more like 6 a month? :x I didn't really think of magic as a trend.. but I guess it was and I played it alot as well. I would still like to play it.. I miss it :(

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Nov 15th, 2005, 07:31:57 AM
He-Man and G.I. Joes all the way for me.

And legos. Lord we can't forget those. I have 2 of the futureistic monorails, the Black Monarch's Castle, the space shuttle, and a myriad of other large and small sets. About the only ones I never got though were the pirate ships - heaven help me I wanted one of those huge clippers so bad - heck, I still do. Oh, and Blacktron. Those guys were THE most awesome space legos EVAR.

Callista
Nov 15th, 2005, 03:27:34 PM
TMNT rocked! we use to put on skits in elementary where there'd be the turtles vs. the foot clan and they'd do a fight. I was April and always was captured and then hid when they rescued me - hahaha

I did the Barbie thing (I had a McDonalds, all the dream houses, a pool, all the vehicles, horses, horse trailer, and even a flushing toilet from my mom's era - I sold all of them to a girl that was older then I) as well as My Little Ponies, Strawberry Shortcake, and the He-Man/She-Ra. I had Legos with my brother and then when they made girl Legos I had those too :) Micro machines! Ah man I remember those, we had a ton of those too.

As for shows, there's so many that I watched - ALL the Disney ones; Gummy Bears, Tail Spin, etc, and I was (still am) a huge Sailor Moon fan ><

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 15th, 2005, 07:57:56 PM
Originally posted by s'Ilancy
He-Man and G.I. Joes all the way for me.

And legos. Lord we can't forget those. I have 2 of the futureistic monorails, the Black Monarch's Castle, the space shuttle, and a myriad of other large and small sets. About the only ones I never got though were the pirate ships - heaven help me I wanted one of those huge clippers so bad - heck, I still do. Oh, and Blacktron. Those guys were THE most awesome space legos EVAR.

My brother and I had almost all of the Pirate collection of Legos. He had the pirates and I had the colonial people. We gave all of our lego people names and all of the girl people (I think we only had 4) were mine, of course. :D

I ended up gifting all of my My Little Ponies and Legos to my sister's family, so I have to close my eyes when I see my Ponies being misused/mutilated by my nieces. It makes me want to snatch them back and hide them in my closet!

Ixion
Nov 15th, 2005, 09:17:43 PM
....Pocket Monsters......
.......Thunder Cats.............
..............Care Bears...................
...................Ducktails......................
...........................Action Man................
.............................The very first Marioworld on the very first gameboy...............
........................................Thunderbir ds................................................ ....................................

Wyl Staedtler
Nov 15th, 2005, 09:27:48 PM
Yep, POGS were big with us too. Other than that, not much. For a while , around the Jurassic Park frenzy, dinosaurs were big. We had all the JP toys, but then they got stolen in Mexico. :(

Oh, and eating raw noodles at school. That was huge.

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 16th, 2005, 06:18:28 AM
I had the Jurassic Park T-Rex, with the cunk of removal flesh. It roared when you squeezed its throat!

Wei Wu Wei
Nov 16th, 2005, 07:19:41 PM
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

The Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.

Those were the only two I really remember as a kid.

Callista
Nov 16th, 2005, 09:13:29 PM
Popples!

Atreyu
Nov 17th, 2005, 11:09:35 PM
Hyper Coloured T-shirts (you know, those ones that change colour if you touch them and stuff). Pretty weird now that I think about it.

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 18th, 2005, 09:50:35 AM
I loved Wuzzles. :D

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Nov 18th, 2005, 05:02:35 PM
Please tell me I'm not the only one who had Teddy Ruxpin. The Fobs were always my favorite, and they still are :D

Crystal
Nov 18th, 2005, 05:08:23 PM
Please tell me I'm not the only one who had Teddy Ruxpin.

I had one and I hated it. It was one of the scariest toys I ever owned.. which includes the Kid Sister doll my mom bought for me for christmas and I cried when I opened it because I thought it was going to come alive like Chucky. :(

My poor mom.. it took her weeks to get me to even touch the doll.

Wyl Staedtler
Nov 18th, 2005, 05:09:09 PM
What the heck are Wuzzles? o_O

Does anyone remember 'The Racoons'? That was the best show ever.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Nov 18th, 2005, 05:33:47 PM
I vaguely remember 'The Wuzzles', but I've never heard of 'The Raccoons'.

These are the shows I remember watching:

Fraggle Rock
Punky Brewster
Silver Spoons
Smurfs
David the Gnome
Gummi Bears
He-Man
Alvin and the Chipmunks
Belle and Sebastian (I loved this cartoon so much, but hardly anyone I talk to remembers it at all)
Danger Mouse (YES YES YES)
Babar
Thundercats
GI Joe

I always wanted to see Pirates of Darkwater, but I never ever got the chance to watch it.

The ones I watched as I got older, and sometimes still watch when the chance arises:

Exo Squad
Duck Tales
Darkwing Duck
The Bots Master
He-Man

Wyl Staedtler
Nov 18th, 2005, 05:49:51 PM
Alvin and the Chipunks: Behind the Music (http://www.angelfire.com/music3/behind/index.html)

I had no idea!

Callista
Nov 18th, 2005, 11:35:50 PM
Pirates of Darkwater was great :D However, the last episode sucked because they ended up getting everything they needed, and then it did something like go back into the past where they lost them all and it started the series over again >< ....yeah okay I don't quite remember how it went but it was something like that

Yog
Nov 19th, 2005, 03:47:21 AM
You know you're getting old when one of the trends you remember were the original trilogy SW figures and comics, and no one mentioned those yet in a SW forum.. :p

Crystal
Nov 19th, 2005, 04:11:39 AM
Originally posted by Callista
Pirates of Darkwater was great :D

I LOVED this show. I don't think I ever saw the last episode though. I'm too lazy to take another picture.. so.. http://www.piratesofdarkwater.net/merchandise.html

Scroll down to the first shirt, It's mine :D The other guy's pictures are better though. I want to get more of them, I've been avoiding wearing mine for a while because I don't want it to get any stains or holes in it, and people kept asking me if it was a band.. :\

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 19th, 2005, 05:29:17 AM
Originally posted by Wyl Staedtler
What the heck are Wuzzles? o_O

Does anyone remember 'The Racoons'? That was the best show ever.

I am listening to the theme tune from The Raccoons right now :cool

"You can run with us, we've got everything you need! Run with us, we are freeee! Come with us, I see passion in your eyes!"

Droo
Nov 20th, 2005, 08:58:38 AM
Please tell me I'm not the only one who had Teddy Ruxpin.

I still have my Teddy Ruxpin somewhere. It has a slot to put tape cassettes in the back and his mouth and eyes move as he tells you a story. :D

Atreyu
Nov 22nd, 2005, 09:20:22 PM
Belle and Sebastian (I loved this cartoon so much, but hardly anyone I talk to remembers it at all)
I remember it. A story about a boy and his dog (Belle was a dog right. Or was she a wolf?) going over the Pyreness and into Spain on the run from the law to find Sebastian's mother. I loved it as a kid.

Another show I remember was 'The Wonderful Wizard of Oz' cartoon TV series, which to this day is the best version of the original Oz stories IMHO. :)