PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire DVD out

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 10th, 2005, 09:45:47 PM
I decided to ditch the old thread because it was getting so long. So this will be the one to talk about the new movie due out next Friday. The first reviews have started to trickle in so far they are all saying its the best of the series

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/reviews/review_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001477076

http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117928818?categoryId=31&cs=1

Can't wait, only 7 days to go.

Rutabaga
Nov 10th, 2005, 09:47:41 PM
I bought my tickets on October 30th :)

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 10th, 2005, 09:52:23 PM
Cool, I am going to buy mine tomorrow. I am not standing in line next week. I would actually love to see this one in IMAX.

Droo
Nov 11th, 2005, 12:19:55 AM
Needless to say, I'll be there on Friday. That said, as much as I am looking forward to seeing Goblet of Fire, my exciement levels for the preceeding teaser trailer confirmed to be attatched to it are much higher. Sky high, in fact! :D

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------>

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 11th, 2005, 10:53:55 PM
Anybody who wants to track the reviews you can see them here
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/harry_potter_and_the_goblet_of_fire/?sortby=date&critic=all

7 for 7 right now.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 16th, 2005, 01:24:26 PM
Only two days right now so far the RT meter is 80% I think it will go up when we get more main stream reviews. So far all the negatives I think were people that just hate Potter to begin with. (Slant magazine and Steve Rhodes heck both of them hate most mainstream stuff.). I am going Friday afternoon, I thought about going to a midnight show but there is no way I can do that.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 17th, 2005, 10:15:29 AM
More reviews here is David Ansen's review
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10017715/site/newsweek/

La Times
http://www.calendarlive.com/movies/reviews/cl-et-harrypotter18nov18,0,1896289.story?coll=la-home-headlines
NY Times
http://movies2.nytimes.com/2005/11/17/movies/17pott.html?ex=1163739600&en=fff95339106b04b2&ei=5 083&partner=Rotten%20Tomatoes
Roger Ebert
http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051116/REVIEWS/51114003

All loved it, 3.5 stars on each of them. And that is just a sample it is up to 84% on the tomato meter, this could become the best review big budget movie of the year (as of right now I think that belongs to Batman Begins at 83%) of course Kong or Narnia could pass it. Strangely enough it is getting better reviews than Walk the Line an Oscar Contender.

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 17th, 2005, 02:18:57 PM
Got my tickets for 8pm tomorrow night :D everything before that was sold out!

sirdizzy
Nov 17th, 2005, 02:24:44 PM
I got midnight tickets for tonight, bought them a couple weeks ago. I am actually more excited about New York Dolls because I got invited to a press screening of it next wednesday (I also got offered some press passes to next years Sundance Film Festival), I almost feel like a celebrity.

But Harry Potter looks to be awesome, I am wondering how much of the book will be chopped out. I really enjoyed Prisoner of Azkaban but after rewatching it several times it becomes a shame how much of the book had to be sacrificed for the movie. And their mad eye moony was nothing like the one I had pictured in my mind.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 17th, 2005, 09:55:00 PM
I think Moody will be awesome, every review I have read says he steals much of the film. I really can't wait to see Voldemort the picture posted is not him resurrected he looks different there, I am curious about that. I have tickets for an afternoon show tomorrow. I thought about midnight but I just can't do it like I did for Star Wars.
Now Reviews, it is at 86% at RT with 91 81 reviews in, 93% in cream of the crop. The main stream critics really seem to be loving it. It won't top POA's 89% although I think the Cream of the Crop reviews might top what POA did.

Atreyu
Nov 17th, 2005, 11:12:55 PM
We have to wait until December here in Oz. :(

Anyway, I was interested to read Ebert's review - better than the first 2 and on par with the 3rd (maybe a bit better) which sounds fantastic (considering that's what I think of them as well)! :)

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 17th, 2005, 11:23:00 PM
Yeah that sucks, I wonder why the big difference in release dates. And yes that is my opinion right now, my feelings on them are
POA
COS
SS
I have a feeling GOF will surpass POA, I guess I will find that out tomorrow.

Ryan Pode
Nov 18th, 2005, 02:03:59 AM
I was more excited about Superman during this... but it was generally a good representation of a 730 page book in a 2.5 hour movie.

sirdizzy
Nov 18th, 2005, 05:29:23 AM
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005)
Action/Adventure, Kids/Family and Science Fiction/Fantasy
2 hrs. 30 min.
MPAA Rating: PG-13 for sequences of fantasy violence and frightening images.
Release Date: November 18th, 2005
Starring: Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson, Rupert Grint, Michael Gambon, Maggie Smith
Harry (Daniel Radcliffe) must contend with being mysteriously selected to compete in the prestigious Triwizard Tournament, a thrilling international competition that pits him against older and more experienced students from Hogwarts and two rival European wizarding schools. Meanwhile, supporters of Harry's nemesis, the evil Lord Voldemort (Ralph Fiennes), send a shockwave of fear throughout the wizard community when their Dark Mark scorches the sky at the Quidditch World Cup, signaling Voldemort's return to power. But for Harry, this is not the only harrowing news causing him anxiety…he still has yet to find a date for Hogwarts' Yule Ball dance.

I understand artistic licensing as well as the next avid moviegoer but sometimes it’s taken too far. Its not that Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire wasn’t fantastic because it was, it was that the movie wasn’t complete. I worry for those who have not read the books to fill in the enormous gaps the movie leaves and for all the explanations it leaves out. The decision to not make a two part movie and rather just cut out all the unnecessary pieces wasn’t a bad idea it was just an idea that they didn’t pull of very well at times. I’ll give an example, at the beginning of the movie all the characters go to the Quidditch World Cup and the movie spends several moments on the introductions but then shows none of the game instead clipping to them celebrating after the game. This is in no way smooth, it is very abrupt and jerky, it would have only taken them a minute or two to show some of the game and then smoothly move into the celebration scene. Much of the first twenty odd minutes of the film is like this, hurried and very jerky. But once the movie gets past all the sudden stops and starts it turns into a fantastic movie. The movie is easily the most gripping and powerful Harry Potter movie to date it simply just isn’t complete. Here is to hoping for an extended edition much like the Lord of the Rings movies.

We are finally starting to see if the young trio of actors can finally act and the answer for the most part is yes. I am not sure how any of them would do outside a Potter movie but they have all slipped into their roles in the world that is Harry Potter, it is hard to imagine anyone besides Daniel Radcliffe as Harry and he does a fine job in the movies. But it is, Emma Watson that steals the show once more, as she is clearly the best actor of the trio. She adds a lot of the drama, the heart and the comedy that is the movies and without her the movies would not be nearly as good, Rupert Grint once more is the weak link in the chain as he still has that awkward feel and he can be a little bit of downer when he is on the screen. Daniel and Emma work together perfectly and Rupert is clearly the third wheel. He is improved over Prisoner of Azkaban but that’s not saying much. For the most part the movie is amazing; it is much darker and more sinister and more gripping and dramatic than all of its predecessors. The movie does not fail to entertain and for the most part it gets the spirit of the books. Most fans will heap praise on the movie and some non fans may find themselves a little lost but the movie delivers even if it doesn’t feel entirely complete.

I love the religious fanatics that take aim at the Harry Potter series for promoting witchcraft and magic because they entirely miss the point of the movies and the books. The movie and books are about friendship and growing through adversity which are things to be praised and not frowned down upon. The books teach that life is not always fair but the choices we make are what shape us and what make us ultimately good or evil. These are lessons all children should learn and if a series of books that use witchcraft as their backdrop to teach these lessons get more children to read and think then anyone opposed to them is simply ignorant and very foolish.
4.5 stars out of 5

Rutabaga
Nov 18th, 2005, 08:14:45 AM
It's currently at 88% on the Tomatometer at Rotten Tomatoes! :crack

I can't wait--I've had a rough and busy week, so I feel like seeing GoF is like my reward for enduring the last few days :) :) :).

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 18th, 2005, 09:49:15 AM
AHhh I have to wait to see this movie! :cry

Parents are coming into town tonight and we're going to a basketball game with them, and I have to do my grocery shopping for Thanksgiving (I'm mostly responsible for the ENTIRE MEAL) on Saturday and then I have a birthday party to go to!!

Maybe Saturday night for a late showing... ^_^;

Yog
Nov 18th, 2005, 11:24:26 AM
I have not read the books. While its probably going to be the best Potter movie, I have been underwhelmed by all the others, and I fear its going to be the case here as well. I guess Harry Potter just aint for me :|

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 18th, 2005, 11:52:55 AM
Its at 89% now same %as POA which is awesome. What did you think of the last one Yoghurt? Just curious. I give it a chance at least on DVD, the series goes more towards Epic with this one, since the series Villain comes to the forefront. The seventh book/film I think will rival some of the battle scenes in LOTR. As for me I am heading out to see it in a few hours. So I will report my opinions when I see it.

Yog
Nov 18th, 2005, 12:09:26 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr What did you think of the last one Yoghurt? Just curious.

I thought POA was quite a bit better than the previous two. I actually thought it was entertaining in places. But its definitely not the sort of movie I would rush to see opening weekend, let alone in theaters. Its something I would watch on DVD, just for the sake of having seen it.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 18th, 2005, 01:01:50 PM
Originally posted by Master Yoghurt
I thought POA was quite a bit better than the previous two. I actually thought it was entertaining in places. But its definitely not the sort of movie I would rush to see opening weekend, let alone in theaters. Its something I would watch on DVD, just for the sake of having seen it.

That is cool I can understand that, as I said I would watch GOF on DVD then or wait till after you heard more about it. Watch this thread and see what others have to say. I will have my opinion but I am very biased (though I am not Hard Core, the Hard Core fans a lot of times hate the movies because so much get cut out).

Yog
Nov 18th, 2005, 01:04:57 PM
I am probably going to read the first Harry Potter book at some point, to see if it changes my perspective around.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 18th, 2005, 01:06:18 PM
Well the books are different and it is hard to judge the series from the first two, the series gets so different when you get to GOF, by Book six you are thinking this is a kids book?

Yog
Nov 18th, 2005, 01:16:58 PM
you are thinking this is a kids book?

Thats slightly the impression I got from the movies, yes.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 18th, 2005, 01:18:49 PM
Well that begins to change with this one. Death become very prevailent in the books and movies from here out. 4-6 are very dark novels and some disturbing things happen in them. I have also heard reports that this one is very disturbing in some place and kids might have nightmares.

Droo
Nov 18th, 2005, 01:23:15 PM
I'll be going on my way to the cinema in oh!... twenty minutes. :)

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 18th, 2005, 01:27:55 PM
Originally posted by Droo
I'll be going on my way to the cinema in oh!... twenty minutes. :)

Cool me to as a matter of fact, can't wait to see. This is the second movie I was looking forward to this year.

Nathanial K'cansce
Nov 18th, 2005, 02:57:20 PM
Saw it at the 12:10 showing. First Pooter film I've seen all the way through and I haven't read any of the books! I was so confused... but on a whole, it was a good flick. Good special effects, some funny times, some sad times, all aroudn good times.

Shawn
Nov 18th, 2005, 03:06:45 PM
I think "disturbing" is pushing it a bit far, but Rowling is definitely trying to break the mold of what we consider a kid's book.

I was surprised to find I enjoyed the first movie, having not read any of the books at the time, but was underwhelmed with CoS. Prisoner of Azkaban picked up the slack, however, and was easily the best of the three. I'm probably going to catch GoF sometime this weekend.

Akrabbim
Nov 18th, 2005, 03:16:14 PM
Originally posted by Nathanial K'cansce
Saw it at the 12:10 showing. First Pooter film I've seen all the way through and I haven't read any of the books! I was so confused... but on a whole, it was a good flick. Good special effects, some funny times, some sad times, all aroudn good times.

I couldn't help but chuckle at this. :) (Note the word in bold above)

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 18th, 2005, 05:52:57 PM
Just got back from seeing this and overall really enjoyed it. The beginning did feel a little rushed, though once it got past the first few scenes everything was pretty much smooth sailing. There were a lot of very funny moments throughout (many featuring the Weasley boys), as well as a genuine feeling of darkness and sadness at other times. I agree with previous comments that Emma Watson is the best actor of the trio, though Daniel Radcliffe is definitley getting better - as are many of the younger actors, such as Neville and Ginny.

I'm actually going to see it with another friend tomorrow night ^_^;

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 18th, 2005, 06:49:05 PM
I loved it, I found it to be the best film of the Franchise. I agree with you Dasquian, the beginning was a little rushed. The scene before the Death Eaters entrance felt abruted, I do think it would have been tough to do the QWC without showing 10 minutes of. But once they got back to Hogwarts it was perfect. The best part was the Graveyard, Fiennes was brilliant. He nailed Voldemort he was so evil and creepy.
Also the movie had no cute kiddie moments, the tone was dark just like the book. Although, there were a lot of funny moments. Actually, I found this one to have more funny moments from the Weasley twins, to Ron as usual, Mad Eye Moody, Neville dancing, the running gag with Filch, etc. Acting I thought Radcliff did the best job of the series he has Harry captured now. You feel for his character more in this one which was great. Emma and Rupert were great as well. I was glad they left the Ron-Harry fight in that finally gave Ron some character development in these movies. Between that and the Yule Ball, Ron was better portrayed he was just Harry's friend and had some sort of identity. Although, his role was reduced since this was very much Harry's central story. I also enjoyed Gleason's performance and Gambon, he finally captured Dumbledore especially the last hour of the film (I think it was more because he a bigger part in this one) I wait to see what else Gambon can do with the part. That is enough for now. I will post more comments later, including probably my only complaint with the whole film and it is very minor

Droo
Nov 18th, 2005, 08:11:05 PM
This is possibly the most un-kiddy kid's film I've ever seen and it was incredible. I know it's a cliché but definately best of the series and at this rate, film 7 should be Best Picture material.

In short, Goblet of Fire got the epic treatment and deservingly so. I'll post more on my thoughts about it after a second viewing.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 18th, 2005, 08:38:03 PM
Same here I want to see it again. I thought it was great and I agree with you it was the most unkiddy film of the series. There wasn't one cutsie moment in the film, heck even POA had a few of those moments.

Rutabaga
Nov 19th, 2005, 08:32:39 AM
I know I've read fan reviews at Rotten Tomatoes and Yahoo that have had the same complaint that was voiced by some people over PoA...how much of the book was cut out in order to make a 2 and 1/2 hour movie. While I understand the complaints, and may not agree with some of the cuts (I haven't seen the movie yet, will see it tomorrow, but I do know I'm going to miss the Dursleys as well as Dobby and Winky, even though I thought the SPEW subplot was actually a little tiresome), I just know it's the nature of the beast, and it's been a fact of life re: books being adapted to film ever since the dawn of film itself. Sometimes I wonder if the complaints re: cuts come mostly from the younger set of fans, the ones who are just so dedicated to it that they've memorized every single word. While I understand their upset at the editing, they're just gonna have to get used to it, because you know it's going to happen again with OOTP and HBP.

Rutabaga
Nov 19th, 2005, 09:05:23 AM
I do so love Foxtrot :lol :

http://mysite.verizon.net/res07tt5/foxtrotgof.gif

Nathanial K'cansce
Nov 19th, 2005, 01:50:16 PM
Originally posted by Akrabbim
I couldn't help but chuckle at this. :) (Note the word in bold above)

Hah, I blame lack of sleep!

Serithia
Nov 19th, 2005, 02:13:05 PM
I really enjoyed it. Going to see it again tonight, most likely. I'd have to say it was my favorite thus far. I hadn't read all the way through the book so at the end of the movie I was really excited and surprised with all that transpired. Now I have to read the next one. @_@;

All the actors did a really good job.

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 19th, 2005, 02:37:36 PM
I had read the book, but thanks to my notoriously bad memory, had forgotten a lot of details. I remembered some main plot points but forgot others (Moody being an imposter, for instance!). It was like reading it again for the first time :) ... only with gaps in the plot, and some chapters only lasting a paragraph.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 19th, 2005, 09:32:04 PM
Okay here is the only thing that bothered me and was a minor thing
the meeting of the wands it was perfect in terms of what was shown, but poorly explained to the audience. I know every Harry Potter fan knew and Dumbledore said the name of the spell but didn't say anything else, I think that should have been told that was my only problem with the whole movie. I know the Barty Crouch Jr bit is kinda of a plot whole (not that he escaped my theory is Voldemort broke him out by using Wormtail of course not sure how they didn't recognize he was missing). But he survived the book, but I don't think what he said would have mattered to Fudge he probably still wouldn't have believed Dumbledore. Although, the look Snape gave Crouch Jr, was interesting but I am not sure if we are suppose to read anything into that

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 20th, 2005, 12:38:46 PM
I enjoyed it, but I most certainly would not take young children to see it! As Potter is growing up, so are his books and his movies, and I know it's not going to hurt their sales...It does concern me a little that the books are continuing to get darker and darker with more death and evil and still being pandered to children of all ages.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 20th, 2005, 05:31:28 PM
Well in the last book good will triumph with Voldemort being defeated. It is no different that Star Wars, with ROTS evil sure was prominent in that film.

Rutabaga
Nov 20th, 2005, 05:39:35 PM
Saw it today, and enjoyed it tremendously, although I would say it wasn't quite as good as Prisoner of Azkaban.

I loved a lot of the throwaway stuff, like Argus Filch dancing with Mrs. Norris at the Yule Ball, the Weasley twins and just about everything they did, stuff like that. All 3 challenges were great, especially the dragons. All in all, a fine job considering the daunting task they had of turning a 700+ page book into a 2 & 1/2 hour movie.

Mad Eye Moody didn't look anything like I'd pictured him when I read the book, but personality-wise, wow, he was great. And Ralph Fiennes was spot-on perfect as Voldemort. Terrific stuff.

I also have to say that Cedric's death was well done, there was more than one person sniffling when Harry ported back with Cedric's body.

If I have one major complaint, it's that the luscious Lucius Malfoy was in only 2 scenes. *sigh* Well, I'll get to see more of him in Order of the Phoenix, that much is for sure! :love

jjwr
Nov 20th, 2005, 07:10:44 PM
I thought it was the best of the bunch personally, definetly darker and more adult than the others.

I really need to read the book again to find out what else was missed as I had forgotten a lot of things. I really didn't miss the Rita Skeeter subplot or the whole House Elf Subplot, both were interesting but not integral to the story.

I loved the first two challenges, the Dragons were very well done and looked incredible. Very realistic. When Harry looks like he's in trouble and calls the Broom I felt it was a bit rushed and under explained but as soon as he jumped on that broom I forgot all that. Made you almost want to jump up and cheer

I did feel a few other things were a bit too rushed and underexplained, I didn't feel the beginning was rushed as while Quidditch is cool it isn't needed. After the intro of the players I was definetly pumped, while it worked without it they set it up perfectly and it would have been incredible had they showed some.

They really needed to explain the locking of Wands better, that was basically thrown away with one line without explanation.

Raph Fiennes is incredible, he was awesome as Voldemort and very believably evil. When Diggory was killed you could feel the mood of the whole movie and theatre darken. From then on in it really made you wonder what type of movie you were watching. Voldemort stepping on his head and those vacant eyes looking out.

To me when Harry returned with Cedric's body that was the scene of the movie. You see the crowd erupt and Harry is just laying there with his limp body....incredible.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 21st, 2005, 06:56:00 PM
I agree with you jjwr about Cedric's death, when Harry brought his body back I think it was a big moment especially with the reaction of his father. I have to say the movie did a better job than the book with showing that, I honestly wasn't upset when I read the book that he died, compared when I saw the film. It was a very sad moment in the movie. I also liked the change in the dragon scene, that was amazing, I agree with you, you wanted to cheer when he came back and got the egg. I was impressed with the Underwater sequence though as well that was cool how they did that.

Zereth Lancer
Nov 21st, 2005, 10:47:31 PM
I just saw the movie a few nights ago. I was blown away with how great it was. Comparing it to the first two movies was like comparing Blue Hawaii to Lord of the Rings. The darker mood and more mature interactions between characters gave it a quility the other movies clearly lacked.

Although I was bugged with how fast Harry always healed after each challenge, especially after the first challenge when he was trashed by the dragon

I was also disapointed with the apparent lack Lucias Malfoy scenes. I loved Raph Fiennes protrayal of Voldemort. He gave me the chills with his noseless face.

I loved Mad eye Moody. He was weird and hilarious, a perfect combination

Cedric's death shocked me. I've never read the books so I had no idea it was comming.

I loved the Dragon Trial. The Animated Dragon was spot on

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 22nd, 2005, 09:56:58 AM
Zereth, the time between trials is longer than it seems, as they stretched across the whole school year. The Yule Ball was, of course, at Christmas.

jjwr
Nov 22nd, 2005, 02:11:08 PM
I assumed about 2-3 months between each of the trials.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 22nd, 2005, 06:34:29 PM
Besides in the Wizaring world they can heal wounds really fast, like when Harry broke his arm in the Chamber of secerts (not to mention Lockheart removing his bones afterwards). His arm was healed the next day.

Zereth Lancer
Nov 22nd, 2005, 08:38:58 PM
Ok, I get it now. I just didn't realize so much time had gone by, or the healing abilities of their doctors. But I still think it would have been nice if he had a more lasting sign of his wounds, IE a scar. But then again, that would just waste precious time with the make-up department.

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 23rd, 2005, 12:38:18 AM
Silly, he's GOT a scar already. :p

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 26th, 2005, 09:19:34 AM
Originally posted by Zereth Lancer
Ok, I get it now. I just didn't realize so much time had gone by, or the healing abilities of their doctors. But I still think it would have been nice if he had a more lasting sign of his wounds, IE a scar. But then again, that would just waste precious time with the make-up department.

Madam Pompfrey must have been close at hand to sort out any cuts and bruises ;)

Naira Cross
Nov 28th, 2005, 06:23:37 PM
I think that he did have a few scars on his shoulder when he's figuring out the golden egg.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 28th, 2005, 09:40:28 PM
Yeah I noticed that when I saw it again yesterday.

Atreyu
Dec 7th, 2005, 08:47:22 PM
Not specifically related to HP4, but more just a fun HP reference in general:

http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript

(NOTE: it's presently the latest comic, so if you check this at a later time you may need to go back a bit. it's comic #253).

PS. Finally saw HP4 the other day. Not bad, but geez a heck of a lot got cut. I'm going to have to see it a couple of more times before I reach my final verdict.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 7th, 2005, 11:11:36 PM
Originally posted by Atreyu
Not specifically related to HP4, but more just a fun HP reference in general:

http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript

(NOTE: it's presently the latest comic, so if you check this at a later time you may need to go back a bit. it's comic #253).

PS. Finally saw HP4 the other day. Not bad, but geez a heck of a lot got cut. I'm going to have to see it a couple of more times before I reach my final verdict.

Well I expected the cuts so I went in trying not to think about them and I really enjoyed the movie. Really nothing major got cut out. The biggest cuts were Spew and the Dursleys and those really didn't bother me.

Atreyu
Dec 8th, 2005, 02:28:24 AM
While they kept the most important parts, I actually felt it kept cutting to scenes quickly with little reference and flow (I probably should have been more clearer).

I still liked it, but after the brilliant HP3 this one was a bit of a letdown.

Here's a review which IMHO sums up the film as I probably would:

In the fourth Harry Potter film, the now 14-year-old wizard must face down two groups of fearful adversaries, both daunting in appearance and capable of leaving him speechless. The first are the Death Eaters, murderous acolytes of Lord Voldemort, Harry’s lifelong foe; the second is a pack of teenage girls, waiting to be asked out. That both the titular prodigy and the movie itself are not sure which party is more dangerous indicates that Hogwarts is adrift on a sea of raging hormones.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire is a curious and not altogether satisfying picture. It was directed by Mike Newell, who is the first English director behind the camera, and while he has an eye for the intricacies of insular groups (he did Donnie Brasco, a very smart dissection of Mafia life), in this case it means a return to the very British boarding school tradition embraced by 2001’s Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone and 2002’s Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. There’s talk of prefects’ bathrooms and such, but little of the intimacy that marked 2004’s Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.

Goblet of Fire is meant to mature the seven-part series, but despite the M rating (there are several deaths and some genuinely frightening scenes), it lacks the depth of Azkaban. After an ominous opening, where the Quidditch World Cup is marred by signs of Voldemort’s resurgence, the bulk of the 157 minutes is spent enmeshed in puberty brews, with boys and girls exchanging furtive glances and Hogwarts visited by French fillies and Slavic dreamboats as the school hosts the Tri-Wizard Tournament.

A violent insurgency is nothing compared with competing for eternal glory or enjoying your first kiss, especially when an under-age Harry is mysteriously entered in the tournament. Soon the halls are filled with swarthy foreigners (another British tradition reflected in the film is xenophobia) and Harry (Daniel Radcliffe) and Ron (Rupert Grint) have a falling-out and begin talking like Arthur Daley’s grandchildren. The film pushes the central characters into cliché – Ron is a bumbling misfit, Hermione (Emma Watson) bossier than ever.

Around them half the titled thespians in Britain make do with brief scenes, over-acting safe in the knowledge that the fantasy milieu encourages it. The graceful scenes Radcliffe shared with David Thewlis and Gary Oldman in Azkaban have no equivalent here, although Harry does have a bath with a girl (albeit a ghost). Goblet of Fire is a coming-of-age story, but it can never decide whether the focus should be personal or public. Ultimately it falls between the two.

What saves it is the abrupt change in tone in the final scenes, where Voldemort grimly attains human form at last. Played by Ralph Fiennes with sharpened teeth, no nose and tender menace, he marks his return by coolly remarking: “I’m going to kill you, Harry Potter.” Naturally, he fails, but while Harry may have his eye on fellow student Cho Chang, it’s Fiennes and Voldemort who augur best for the remaining trilogy. Teenage infatuation is a decent diversion, but it’s time for the maniacal despot to take centre stage.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 8th, 2005, 05:31:46 PM
Originally posted by Atreyu
While they kept the most important parts, I actually felt it kept cutting to scenes quickly with little reference and flow (I probably should have been more clearer).

I still liked it, but after the brilliant HP3 this one was a bit of a letdown.

Here's a review which IMHO sums up the film as I probably would:

I admit some of the beginning went a little fast, but I thought the rest was perfect, it was my favorite film of the series. Maybe it is because this is the one Voldemort returns and I think that was done brilliantly, especially the performance by Fiennes.

Crystal
Dec 8th, 2005, 05:55:09 PM
I also thought that the movie went a bit too fast. It seemed like they were leaving alot of important stuff out, even though they didn't really. It went from one task to the next so quick, it felt like a race to the end, to me. Then again, I really didn't care too much for the triwizard stuff in the book and that's all the movie was, I really only liked it for ferret Draco, Moody(who was much less cool in the movie), and the ending, which was done really well in the movie.

PoA is my favorite movie so far. I'm hoping for big things from OotP, it was the best of the books.. but I figure it's going to feel too fast as well, since it's so long. They'd have to split it into two movies to get everything.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 8th, 2005, 06:21:39 PM
I loved the Tri-Wizard tournament actually so that could be another reason why I liked it. I disagree about Moody, he stole the show half of the time to me. Gleeson is a very underrated actor.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 9th, 2005, 06:00:06 PM
Originally posted by Crystal
I also thought that the movie went a bit too fast. It seemed like they were leaving alot of important stuff out, even though they didn't really. It went from one task to the next so quick, it felt like a race to the end, to me. Then again, I really didn't care too much for the triwizard stuff in the book and that's all the movie was, I really only liked it for ferret Draco, Moody(who was much less cool in the movie), and the ending, which was done really well in the movie.

PoA is my favorite movie so far. I'm hoping for big things from OotP, it was the best of the books.. but I figure it's going to feel too fast as well, since it's so long. They'd have to split it into two movies to get everything.

Something I thought about, the speed of the plot reminded me a lot of Raiders of the Lost Ark, which went from one action sequence to the next pretty much. So in that way it had that kind of serial feel where there was a cliffhanger at every turn, of course I think that book had a lot of that because of the action level.

Shawn
Dec 9th, 2005, 06:30:06 PM
I know people said the same thing about GoF, but I honestly can't see them doing OotP as a single movie. GoF was a long book, yeah, but it had a lot of "fluff", with the Rita Skeeter subplot and all that. OotP, however, has a lot going on - probably moreso than any other book of the series.

I know that there's just no way they'll split it into 2 movies, so I'm worried it's going to really suffer.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 9th, 2005, 06:43:20 PM
Well to me OOTP is easier. For example most of the first 100 pages can be cut. They can cut all that cleaning the house stuff and cut spew again and cut all the class time except DADA, well maybe Hagrid's class with Umbridge. I think OOTP is easier because a lot of the book is more Harry's fighting his anger and is very introspective.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 7th, 2006, 12:12:09 PM
The DVD came out today, I got this morning. The special features are very nice, mainly the making of stuff. I have gotten into much of that yet. I mainly watched the deleted scenes and the cast interviews. The interviews are fun, they only talk to the trio and and the other students, (Neville, the other champions, Ginny, the twins, Seamus, Cho, and Dean). Only three really good deleted scenes, the one with Snape I wish made the film. I love Snape's line to Igor in that scene. Overall, its worth buying especially if you are a Harry Potter fan. Oh make sure you buy the Special Edition version the other one is just the movie. Kinda of sucks they did that, IMO. Did the same thing with Batman Begins.

Atreyu
Mar 8th, 2006, 10:02:12 PM
I'm going to have to look out for it. Despite my comments earlier in the thread I never got to see the film more than once in the cinema so my 'final verdict' is still on hold until i see it a few more times. :)