PDA

View Full Version : jarhead

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 4th, 2005, 09:38:34 PM
Awesome movie. I highly reccomend, and it's filling the theatres, which is something I haven't seen in a while.

Jake Gylhenhal knocked one out of the park. :) And Jamie Foxx is great as his staff sergeant.

Sanis Prent
Nov 4th, 2005, 09:52:01 PM
I wanna see this movie so bad, but like everything in the theater that I like, I'll probably miss it until DVD :(

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 4th, 2005, 09:52:47 PM
That's stupid - just get in your car and go see it right now.

Atreyu
Nov 5th, 2005, 11:35:21 PM
The film looks interesting. Interestingly 2 years or so ago I read a review of the book (I'm assuming this is based off the book, considering it's got the same name) in the Australian Army magazine when I was still in Reserves, and it was quite critical of the story.

I never read it, but now I'm curious to see how the movie pans out.

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 6th, 2005, 04:06:19 AM
I believe it is based off of the book, which was written by a marine who was in Operation Desert Shield and Storm.

It's bascially a war movie about what happens when there is no fighting. :) It's really good.

CMJ
Nov 16th, 2005, 01:42:46 AM
Just saw it this evening.

I found it to be quite fascinating, but not terribly engaging. Doesn't really make sense, eh? I'll try to explain myself.

The life of the grunt on the ground, that DOESN'T get to experience combat(which many didn't in Desert Storm, since the ground war was over so fast) has never been told before. Alot of the vignettes were things we'd really seldom seen before in war movies. The boredom...cabin fever...etc that sets in waiting for action.

On the other hand, these very vignettes hurt the narrative. There was no solid story arc to the piece, so it got repetitive and tiresome. It was also somewhat hard to get inside the characters heads for me.

That said, a wonderfully made picture. But the sum is less than the parts. Still, I'd prolly say 3 and a half stars out of 4. Maybe a high 3. I'll figure it out tonight.