PDA

View Full Version : Walk the Line

Sanis Prent
Oct 26th, 2005, 11:38:40 AM
Is anybody as stoked as I am for this movie? From what I've seen of it, Joachin Phoenix has got the look and the sound down perfectly to play Mr. Cash. What a fantastic birthday present this movie will be for me :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 26th, 2005, 02:07:01 PM
What's really amazing is that Joachin and Reese do all their own singing for this movie. You'll only hear Johnny Cash and June Carter Cash's vocals over the credits at the end.

There was a big story about the movie in Premiere magazine - it was really great. Apparently Johnny Cash was a big fan of Joachin in Gladiator. :)

Mu Satach
Oct 26th, 2005, 02:13:18 PM
Me = stoked...

CMJ
Oct 26th, 2005, 02:52:06 PM
It's one of my most highly anticipated releases.

Sanis Prent
Oct 27th, 2005, 07:34:55 AM
Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
What's really amazing is that Joachin and Reese do all their own singing for this movie. You'll only hear Johnny Cash and June Carter Cash's vocals over the credits at the end.

There was a big story about the movie in Premiere magazine - it was really great. Apparently Johnny Cash was a big fan of Joachin in Gladiator. :)

The voicework I've heard is nothing short of amazing. Considering that Joachin's normal voice sounds absolutely nothing like Cash's coarse and deep drawl, its jaw-dropping to hear him wear it like those black garments.

I've only seen the short preview, but hearing him say "Hello, I'm Johnny Cash" is a damn dead ringer for his stage performances.

I really can't sum up how excited I am for this movie. I don't think people can fully calculate how much Johnny Cash has contributed to just about every modern musical genre out there today. Country, Folk, Punk, Rock, and even Rap ("I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die" come on, he's the OG)

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 27th, 2005, 08:55:13 AM
They said in Premiere also that Reese Witherspoon's vocals were arguably better than June Carter Cash's. Which may not be the case, but still, I can't wait to see it and hear them sing. :p

Sanis Prent
Oct 27th, 2005, 09:52:15 AM
Don't they do a rendition of "Jackson"? That's one of the bigger duets that I remember Johnny and June doing.

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 27th, 2005, 11:00:58 AM
I don't know. The article didn't say exactly which songs they do.

Wyl Staedtler
Oct 29th, 2005, 02:06:51 AM
When does this one come out? I've been waiting for it as well, it looks excellent... not much of a Witherspoon fan, but I've been watching Joaquin since his Quills days and this looks like it's going to be his best performance yet.

I agree, it was shocking to hear the voice in the trailer; it's amazing how so much of ourselves can be manipulated like that.

I know that Johnny and June did "If I Were A Carpenter" together... and I believe they did "South Wind" and "Darlin' Companion" although I'm not sure if they were released or just performed on his show. They did a lot of duets on his show; "It Ain't Me Babe", "Long Legged Guitar Man", "Help Me Make It Through the Night"... pretty well every week there were duets with them, and with the rest of the Carter family.

EDIT: on the movie soundtrack (which is all cast performances as well!), Joaquin and Reese sing "Jackson" and "It Ain't Me Babe" together. :)

Callomas Savoc
Oct 29th, 2005, 07:29:30 AM
Ah good. Those are my favorite of their duets :)

Pierce Tondry
Oct 30th, 2005, 12:31:04 PM
This is going to be awesome. I'm going to go listen to some Cash right now, in fact.

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 30th, 2005, 07:51:51 PM
Joaquin and Reese sing all or part of 20 different songs in the movie.

Atreyu
Nov 4th, 2005, 03:30:19 AM
I've never really listened to any Johnny Cash songs, but I know he was a big name in music and after seeing the Peter Sellers biography with Geoffrey Rush last year I'm looking forward to seeing this one to.

Wyl Staedtler
Nov 22nd, 2005, 04:40:39 AM
Saw this last night. It is AWESOME. I took my grandmother because she's been a big Cash fan since the beginning, and she couldn't believe that it was Joaquin Phoenix singing. What an absolutely marvellous performance--right down to the hawkish intensity that was always in Johnny's eyes.

It's beautifully acted, even the small roles (Cash's brother Jack, for example or the scene stealing Jerry Lee Lewis.) The only objection I have is where they chose to end the film, but that's more because I love Cash's later work.

Two thumbs up. :)

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 26th, 2005, 09:17:00 AM
I don't think we get this until 2006. Typical :|

CMJ
Nov 26th, 2005, 12:04:06 PM
One of the best films of the year.

Anbira Hicchoru
Nov 30th, 2005, 11:40:47 PM
Best film I've seen this year.

The rendition of "I got stripes" was absolutely eerie. If you ever watch original Cash concerts, he'd get this caged tiger look on his face when he'd sing those kind of songs. Mind you, he was higher than a kite during that phase of things, but I am of the mind that you can take it to the bank, his anger is real and pure.

Also, <3 for the Folsom rendition of Cocaine Blues :D Best Cash song ever. It's so manic and out of nowhere.