PDA

View Full Version : Avian Flu

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 16th, 2005, 06:17:30 PM
So exactly how bad do people think this is? Is this just the media hyping up a virus like they did with SARS which turned out to be nothing? 60 people have died in asia, although it is in mostly undeveloped countries in SE Asia. I think its being blown over proportion but I guess we will see.

Shawn
Oct 16th, 2005, 08:00:51 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
I think its being blown over proportion but I guess we will see. The media blows everything out of proportion. SARS indeed. I still remember everyone going around with surgical masks a few years ago.

Gran Davrak
Oct 16th, 2005, 08:20:26 PM
Another thing we have to realize is that it isn't just 60 people that have died recently, it is 60 people that have died since the discovery of the virus. I think that was 4 years ago, but give or take a year on that. Not to put anyone's death to shame, and not to say I don't feel bad for them or their families, but that isn't very many people for the amount of hype the media is putting on this. It seems very reminiscent of Mad Cow disease to me, which was also blown out of proportion. They are both very deadly, this much is true, but the number of cases of each does not warrent the amount of hype the media gives it.

Rutabaga
Oct 16th, 2005, 08:21:23 PM
SARS, and West Nile Virus as well. Good heavens, the media out here gets hysterical if one person tests positive for West Nile Virus, like the world is coming to an end and we're all going to die. Yes, some people die from West Nile, but the vast majority of people who get it don't even know they have it. But there's still all this hysteria when a case crops up, even though thousands more elderly and pediatric patients die of "the flu" every year. :\

Khendon Sevon
Oct 16th, 2005, 09:17:40 PM
It's 1984 ;)

They're keeping us in fear...

Yog
Oct 17th, 2005, 02:58:23 AM
Yeah, its totally blown out of proportion. Avian Flu creates hysteria, but what the media neglects to mention is all the people who die of 'normal' flu every year. Due to differences in sanitation and population density, I doubt it will have the same inpact as it had in Asia anyhow. Its just one infected bird in Romania, and everyone goes "OMG we're all gonna die" :lol

Sanis Prent
Oct 17th, 2005, 07:13:09 AM
I don't think it's entirely out of proportion. Influenza is a rapidly mutating and quite virulent ailment. The chances of a mutation are quite high. Of course, you can't put a timetable on that sort of thing, and I don't think it's imminent, but I do think a mutation is certain to happen.

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 17th, 2005, 11:24:32 AM
When will everyone realize that it's inevitable that we're all going to die anyway? Life is 100% fatal.

Shawn
Oct 17th, 2005, 11:25:36 AM
Originally posted by Sanis Prent
I don't think it's entirely out of proportion. Influenza is a rapidly mutating and quite virulent ailment. The chances of a mutation are quite high. Of course, you can't put a timetable on that sort of thing, and I don't think it's imminent, but I do think a mutation is certain to happen. I hear that Ebola virus is really dangerous, too.

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 17th, 2005, 11:28:11 AM
Now an Ebola breakout in the US would freak me out. ^_^; I'd be digging a bleach moat around my house.

Sanis Prent
Oct 17th, 2005, 11:45:53 AM
Originally posted by Shawn
I hear that Ebola virus is really dangerous, too.

Ebola doesn't have the same mutation coefficient, or a million aerosolized cousins

Khendon Sevon
Oct 17th, 2005, 12:02:52 PM
I'd fear RNA viruses.

Akrabbim
Oct 17th, 2005, 02:17:55 PM
Hippies.

Figrin D'an
Oct 17th, 2005, 05:17:14 PM
If, and this is a big IF, the current avian bird flu were to mutate into a strain communicable amongst humans, it could pose a problem in certain parts of the world that don't have the infrastructure to quickly distribute vaccine. But, this is little different than any other form of flu.

As of now, it's overhyped. The very fact that everyone is conscious of it's existence and that the medical world is ready to move quickly if it does begin to spread in the human population is going to be a major contributor to containing it's spread.

Jedieb
Oct 17th, 2005, 06:43:20 PM
Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
When will everyone realize that it's inevitable that we're all going to die anyway? Life is 100% fatal.

What the hell, my Mommy and Daddy told me my cat and I will live forever! You can all go ahead and die, I plan on living forever. :crack

Every year there seems to be something else out there that's going to be the death of us. Man, will the giant comet just hurry up and put us out of our misery.

Cirrsseeto Quez
Oct 17th, 2005, 07:10:53 PM
I don't think Hurricane Katrina will be all that bad to be honest. I survived Camille just fine!

Khendon Sevon
Oct 17th, 2005, 07:45:30 PM
Okay, let's be serious for a moment...

do you have a zombie contingency plan?

We all know an outbreak is inevitable.

Cirrsseeto Quez
Oct 17th, 2005, 08:40:32 PM
You already know the answer to that :mneh

I'm working on my pandemic contingency plan, including a syringe of Tamiflu, a syringe of Relenza, and two cases of molotov cocktails to deal with the unfortunate infected.

Jedieb
Oct 18th, 2005, 06:44:46 AM
Here's your zombie contingency plan:
http://www.duffzone.co.uk/grabpics/homer3.gif

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 18th, 2005, 10:22:40 AM
LOL, back to the Avian flu, I agree with Fig here, I think it is being blown out of proportion by the media.