PDA

View Full Version : Labrynth of Evil vs Clone Wars Volume 2

JMK
Oct 8th, 2005, 11:40:41 AM
I may have brought this up at some point, but if these 2 stories take place at the same time, involving the same characters, which one is considered canon? Grievous presumably captures Palpatine in both stories, and I'm going to assume that he doesn't do it in the same way in both the book and the cartoon. Which one is more legit than the other in the eyes of Lucas? He gave pointers to Luceno on the book, but the Clone Wars was advertised as the 'lead-in' to Episode 3.

:huh

Jedieb
Oct 8th, 2005, 07:44:06 PM
There are definite diferences between the two, especially during the train sequence. I think the cartoon had the benefit of being finished later than the book. I read somewhere that in the cartoon the whole sequence of Mace loosening some bolts on Grievous chest was done at the last minute to tie into his coughing fits in EP3. I'd just chalk it up to each medium being an interpretation of the events on Coruscant. The truth is in the eye of the beholder.

Rutabaga
Oct 9th, 2005, 09:12:58 AM
From what I understand, EU (with the exception of a book I detested, Shadows of the Empire) is never considered canon, but I've heard/read in more than one place that the Clone Wars animated series is canon. So what was seen in Clone Wars Vol. II is what really happened, as far as Lucasfilm is concerned, and Labyrinth of Evil was James Luceno's speculation on it. I haven't read Labryrinth of Evil yet because I'd been really turned off from EU after the whole New Jedi Order debacle, but I've got it sitting here and will get around to it eventually. Right now I'm rereading the Chronicles of Narnia series to be ready for the movie in December :).

JMK
Oct 9th, 2005, 11:26:49 AM
I almost bought LoE yesterday but if it wasn't considered canon them I'm not interested. I'll just go with the Clone Wars cartoon.

Jedieb
Oct 9th, 2005, 05:56:44 PM
Originally posted by Jinn Fizz
I haven't read Labryrinth of Evil yet because I'd been really turned off from EU after the whole New Jedi Order debacle, but I've got it sitting here and will get around to it eventually. Right now I'm rereading the Chronicles of Narnia series to be ready for the movie in December :).

You're spending your reading time wisely because I've been sufering through this latest series of Dark Nest books and they're basically crap. Ugh, why do I bother. I really should pick up something like Narnia with my spare time.

JMK
Oct 9th, 2005, 07:07:03 PM
As I was perusing the book shelves yesterday and contemplated picking up LoE I saw the 2 first books of the dark nest series and thought to myself 'what the hell is this? Big mean grasshoppers? Thanks EU, but no thanks.'

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 9th, 2005, 07:29:34 PM
Well those things go back to the Exar Kun series I think. He gave them some force ability or something. I thought about picking up the series only because of the fact Luke learns more about his parents.

JediBoricua
Oct 9th, 2005, 08:15:21 PM
I'm not reading anything 'till the new Zahn books (which I don't know if they are out already, kinda be out of the loop the past couple of months).

And LoE was terrible IMO, I wished I had only seen the cartoons.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 9th, 2005, 08:19:51 PM
I liked LOE it was a good book not great though. I am looking forward to the Darth Vader book that comes out in November.