PDA

View Full Version : National Novel Writing Month 2005

Dasquian Belargic
Oct 4th, 2005, 10:24:43 AM
It's that time again.

http://www.nanowrimo.org/
November 1st - 30th.

I am determined to churn out a whole 50,000 words one of these years - maybe this will be that year. Join me!

Droo
Oct 4th, 2005, 11:17:40 AM
I was interested but then I realised Nanowrimo doesn't really take itself or the craft seriously. So pooh on them!

Dasquian Belargic
Oct 4th, 2005, 11:45:53 AM
:huh wha

Droo
Oct 4th, 2005, 02:26:30 PM
Specifically, these references:

"Let's write laughably awful yet lengthy prose together."

"To write without having to obsess over quality. To be able to make obscure references to passages from your novel at parties. To be able to mock real novelists who dawdle on and on, taking far longer than 30 days to produce their work."

"Make no mistake: You will be writing a lot of crap. And that's a good thing."

When I first heard of Nanowrimo, I though "Awesome! New writers able to have a good crack at putting their prose around and share their talent." But after reading the above bits, I was put off. Plus the word limit is obscene for a month's work - this they acknowledge but I think it would be better to have people aspire to write somewhere between 10-20,000 words of much better quality prose within the month. Also, this way, I imagine more people would involve themselves in the scheme.

Arya Ravenwing
Oct 4th, 2005, 06:52:53 PM
I like NaNoWriMo, but I've failed every time I've tried. :cry

Dasquian Belargic
Oct 5th, 2005, 02:15:10 AM
Do or do not! There is no try!

Come oonnnn.. ;)

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 5th, 2005, 06:22:52 PM
There is just no way - my job is slowly sapping the life out of me during the day, so when i get home all I want to do is curl up and read a book.

I did think it would be funny to write a story set in the future that centers around one of those stars that people paid to get named after a loved one. Like the "Aunt Sophie" system or something. :p

Morgan Evanar
Oct 5th, 2005, 10:05:06 PM
I have no time for such ventures. :|

Dasquian Belargic
Oct 8th, 2005, 01:19:05 PM
My novel has a title! - 2012 :)

Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
There is just no way - my job is slowly sapping the life out of me during the day, so when i get home all I want to do is curl up and read a book.

I did think it would be funny to write a story set in the future that centers around one of those stars that people paid to get named after a loved one. Like the "Aunt Sophie" system or something. :p

:huh Aunt Sophie system?

Lilaena De'Ville
Oct 8th, 2005, 11:52:49 PM
Or if someone named a star after you (Jenny Jones) and then later we go out and settle the planets circling your star. :D

Dasquian Belargic
Oct 9th, 2005, 04:52:00 AM
Ohhh, I get what you mean now :)

... someone name a star after me :p

Telan Desaria
Oct 9th, 2005, 04:47:34 PM
hmm...Perhaps I shall partake.