Doc Milo
Oct 3rd, 2005, 07:02:24 AM
Boston (4 games)
Yankees (4 games)
St. Louis (3 games)
Houston (5 games)

Jedieb
Oct 3rd, 2005, 09:00:18 AM
Both the Yankees and Red Sox should be underdogs in their series. The Yanks don't match up well with the Angels. The Angels are like the Devil Rays on steroids, not a good fit for the Yanks. The White Sox have the kind of starting pitching that can keep the Red Sox within striking distance. The question for Chicago is can they generate enough offense and get to the Red Sox bullpen earlier enough.

The Padres are a joke and the Cards should make quick work of them. The Braves series could be a classic. That should go 4 or 5 games. On paper Houston has too much pitching for Atlanta to handle, but those Houston bats can go into a coma for days at a time. Will Clemens get any run support? It's a small ball lovers dream. Both teams are going to be moving runners over with every trick in the book. If you like old time National League baseball this is the best series out there.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 3rd, 2005, 09:04:40 AM
Boston
Anaheim
St Louis
Houston

Jedieb
Oct 3rd, 2005, 09:17:45 AM
The managers have their rotations set.

Boston vs. Chicago
Tuesday, Oct. 4 4PM ESPN
Boston (Clement 13-6)
Chicago (Contreras 15-7)

Wednesday, Oct. 5 7 PM ESPN
Boston (Wells 15-7)
Chicago (Buehrle 16-8)

Friday, Oct. 7 4PM ESPN2
Chicago (Garland 18-10)
Boston (Wakefield 16-12)

Saturday, Oct. 8
Chicago (Garland) *edit
Boston (Schilling 8-8), if necessary

N.Y. Yankees vs. L.A. Angels
Tuesday, Oct. 4 8PM FOX
New York (Mussina 13-8)
Los Angeles (Colon 21-8)

Wednesday, Oct. 5 10PM ESPN (Can't wait to go to work on 3 hours sleep. :x
New York (Chacon 7-3)
Los Angeles (Lackey 14-5)

Friday, Oct. 7 8PM FOX
Los Angeles (Washburn 8-8)
New York (Johnson 17-8)

Houston vs. Atlanta
Wednesday, Oct. 5
Houston (Pettitte 17-9) at Atlanta (Hudson 14-9), 4:09 p.m. (ESPN)

Thursday, Oct. 6 8PM (Wow, what a pitching match up!)
Houston (Clemens 13-8)
Atlanta (Smoltz 14-7)

Saturday, Oct. 8
Atlanta (Sosa 13-3)
Houston (Oswalt 20-12)

San Diego vs. St. Louis
Tuesday, Oct. 4 1PM ESPN
San Diego (Peavy 13-7)
St. Louis (Carpenter 21-5)

Thursday, Oct. 6 4PM ESPN2
San Diego (Astacio 4-2)
St. Louis (Mulder 16-8)

Saturday, Oct. 8
St. Louis (Morris 14-10)
San Diego (Eaton 11-5)

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 3rd, 2005, 09:40:23 AM
I question the White Sox rotation. That is why it didn't make much sense to pitch Garland in that Indian series. The Red Sox get to face their best pitcher once and thats it, and its in Boston.

JMK
Oct 3rd, 2005, 09:58:03 AM
Yeah that's a dumb choice for sure. I'm not sure why Guillen would do that. I don't know if I would even consider Garland as their best pitcher anyway. Remember, he started 8-0 and finished 18-10, so he was only a .500 guy from that point. I may be wrong but I think Buehrle had a similar start/finish

CMJ
Oct 3rd, 2005, 10:47:06 AM
Garland has more wins, but I think Buehrle is the best pitcher the White Sox have. They were all starting to come around the last 10 games, so I'm apprehensive.

I'd love for the Angels and Boston to make the ALCS though, because I might be able to go to a game.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 3rd, 2005, 11:09:12 AM
That be cool, it be like if Boston and Atlanta made it to the WS then I have a chance to go, although the tickets would probably be insane.
About the WS pitchers it is true Garland really didn't have a great second half. He was once thought to be the CY young favorite. Actually the only AL team that has a very dominant pitcher is the Angels. Colon has been amazing this year and should win the Cy Young easily.

JMK
Oct 3rd, 2005, 11:51:55 AM
You should be able to get Braves tickets, they probably won't even sell out. :lol

CMJ
Oct 3rd, 2005, 11:55:20 AM
Nah, they'd be like New Jersey in the NHL. Hard time selling out the first few rounds, but full houses for the Championship series.

jjwr
Oct 3rd, 2005, 12:10:23 PM
Boston
Anaheim
St. Louis
Atlanta

Sox definetly have to feel good about facing the White Sox, a short trip and the W. Sox lineup isn't exactly killer. They have great pitchers but the R. Sox offense should be able to get to them.

Angels 14-2 in their last 16...gotta love it!

Eldorack
Oct 3rd, 2005, 12:19:43 PM
Boston
Yankees
St. Louis
Houston

Jedieb
Oct 3rd, 2005, 05:13:31 PM
Bobby Cox has made some changes to his rotation. I think he's pitching Hudson against Clemens instead of Smoltz. Meanwhile, Ted Turner was spotted in downtown Atlanta hawking Braves playoff tickets.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 3rd, 2005, 09:03:02 PM
LOL Jedieb. Also jjwr I agree the Angels are hot, very hot. That is why I think they are going to win the WS, it will be like a couple of years ago when they won. And I agree with CMJ they sell out for the WS just don't sell out for the regular season.

CMJ
Oct 4th, 2005, 12:55:55 PM
Reggie Sanders(grand slam) and co. are destroying the Padres in Game 1.

JMK
Oct 4th, 2005, 01:44:44 PM
I've been too busy this afternoon (until now) to check, but I was imagining it in my head and in that fictional game it was 12-1 by the 4th. :lol

CMJ
Oct 4th, 2005, 02:08:21 PM
Padres made it interesting.

Jedieb
Oct 4th, 2005, 02:38:40 PM
Wow, Chicago is just rocking Clement. They using small and long ball to get it done early.

CMJ
Oct 4th, 2005, 03:09:29 PM
There's a reason Chicago had the best record in the AL. :\

jjwr
Oct 4th, 2005, 04:25:05 PM
They've been hitting homer after homer today, pretty impressive power display by them.

Jedieb
Oct 4th, 2005, 06:03:28 PM
I've seen a couple of "experts" who've picked the Padres to beat the Cards (I'm talking to YOU Buster Olney!) All I have to say is; "Put the pipe down!" Honestly, the only way that you could pick the Padres and not have your driver's license taken away is if you're a Padres Homer. Then, I admire your loyalty in the face of certain defeat. So, Peavy was their ace huh? Nice going NLeast representative, true to form.

From what I saw of the White Sox, they didn't just have a power display, they played good defense and showed they were going to use small ball whenever possible. It doesn't just have to be an NL exclusive, AL teams can do the little things. It's not against the law people!

Here come the Yanks and Angles. No, we don't match up well. I don't friggin' care. We're going to get our split in California or my wife and kids we'll see me start drinking again. Bring on Colon, A-Rod lit him up everytime he faced him this season. Bring that weak stuff chubby! :crack

jjwr
Oct 4th, 2005, 06:34:35 PM
you can tell things were going the white sox way when Posednick hits a pair of homers.

JMK
Oct 4th, 2005, 07:49:26 PM
I thought it was Pierzynski that hit 2 ding dongs?

Yanks got to Colon early, they're up 4-0. Not a good day IMO. :\

Lance Casey
Oct 4th, 2005, 10:39:23 PM
Yanks win 4-2. Good outing by moose. Offense got a good lead which allowd us to get to the bull pen early.

jjwr
Oct 5th, 2005, 04:44:23 AM
Yup it was Pierzynski, my bad.

Interesting SportsCenter stat about the Angels, they have now lost the first game of each of their last 5 series. Obviously last year the Sox took them down but when they won the series the lost the first game in each round.

Another fun stat, White Sox hadn't won a home playoff game since 1959...ouch!

JMK
Oct 5th, 2005, 06:53:08 AM
1959? Yowza!

That has to suck. Poor Chicago baseball fans. What a miserable post season history they've had to endure.

Jedieb
Oct 5th, 2005, 07:04:16 AM
I felt like I was waching a 90's Yankees team yesterday. Clutch 2 out hitting, strong starting pitching, and Rivera sealing the deal. Yesterday was as good as it gets if you're a Yankees fan. Yanks win, Red Sox got pummeled. Today may actually be tougher for NY because you can make an argument that Lackey is even better than Colon. He's given up fewer HR's and he's healthier. If the Yanks can win today they will find themselves in the perfect position to juggle their rotation. If I were Torre a win today would give me the freedom to push Randy Johnson back to a possible Game 4 in Da Bronx and I'd start Small in Game 3. If you lose Game 3 you still get Johnson a start in NY. But if you sweep the Angles you now have your rotation set up to have Johnson available for 3 starts in the ALCS. I doubt Torre will do it, but it's an interesting option.

Clement looked like crap yesterday. Having to go all out in that last series against the Yankees looks like it's hurt the Red Sox more than NY. This is where you're really going to miss Pedro. Wells is more than capable of making things right for the Red Sox. But the White Sox aren't throwing trash out there with Buehrle, he's 16-8 with a 3.12 ERA. Both those stats are better than Wells', but fatboy clearly has more experience. For your sakes, I hope he doesn't feel a twinge in his back or get distracted by the hot dog vendors.

JMK
Oct 5th, 2005, 08:20:32 AM
My money is on the beer vendor. He'll get Wells' attention better than anyone.

But I'm not going to worry about the Red Sox unless they lose game 2. I seem to remember a 19-8 beat down that they suffered at home, and we all know what happened next, don't we?

CMJ
Oct 5th, 2005, 12:01:33 PM
I just don't like how we match up versus Chicago. Basically we need to win the next three, because who the hell is gonna go in the 5th? Clement? Arroyo? Both looked outstanding yesterday. >_<

JMK
Oct 5th, 2005, 01:04:36 PM
The hitters have to wake up too. 2 runs isn't going to do it, regardless of who's pitching. The pitching has to get better, but this is what everyone was worried about in the first place. The hurlers are borderline garbage right now, that's right from the rotation, through the bully and to Timlin. He can be a reliable guy, but he's no closer.

Jedieb
Oct 5th, 2005, 03:12:34 PM
The Braves are down 4-1 early and the stadium sounds like a morgue. Silence and some empty seats. Way to go Braves fans!!!!! :thumbup

Hudson is all over the damn place. Gold Glove CF Andruw Jones misplayed a line drive and gave up a double and then he overthrew the throw home by 10 feet. Yep, it's typical Braves playoff baseball.

Jedieb
Oct 5th, 2005, 03:24:00 PM
Damn, the Braves are showing some life. I was hoping I could rag on them all afternoon.

JMK
Oct 5th, 2005, 03:34:49 PM
I just got in from work, turned on the tube and watched Hudson roll up the Astros 1-2-3. He was utterly filthy in the 5th. Maybe I'm his good luck token.

*Changes channel*

Any word on the attendance?

Jedieb
Oct 5th, 2005, 03:39:42 PM
It doesn't look like they're sold out, in fact you can see empty seats behind Petite as he walks off the mound at the end of the inning. They've probably mentioned it a few times, I've just missed it.

Jedieb
Oct 5th, 2005, 06:34:23 PM
Playoff Attendance
Boston at Chicago Game 1 40,717 (100.3% full)
Yankees at Angles Game 1 45,142 (100.2% full)
San Diego at St. Louis Game 1 52,349 (104% full)

Houston at Atlanta Game 1 40,590 (81% full)

And that ladies and gentlemen is why Braves fans are LAME!

JMK
Oct 5th, 2005, 06:51:47 PM
And the day game excuse holds exactly zero water. I guess they aren't going to show up if their team is going to give up 10 runs and get killed every NLDS. Maybe they're saying that they'll show up for the NLCS...if and when they ever get there.

The Red Sox had a 4-0 lead and now trail 5-4. Things are not looking good.

JMK
Oct 5th, 2005, 07:42:10 PM
Down 0-2 Red Sox fans.

Worried yet?

CMJ
Oct 5th, 2005, 07:42:39 PM
Wakefield and Fenway is our only hope.

Jedieb
Oct 5th, 2005, 07:43:18 PM
This was a horrible loss for the Red Sox. They had a 4-0 lead, Wells on the mound and in a groove, and then it was Buckner all over again. The White Sox took advantage of that error and never looked back. The White Sox look good right now. They're making the plays that Boston isn't. Amazingly, the Red Sox have yet to hit a HR. What they did to the Yankees last year will help them a great deal now. That and the friendly confines of Fenway should give Red Sox fans plenty of hope that they can force a game 5 back in Chicago. The real problem I see for the Red Sox is that they simply don't have the starting pitching or the bullpen they did last year. They needed tonight and they had it withing their grasp.

CMJ
Oct 5th, 2005, 07:49:10 PM
At least it's NHL opening night. I'd start that thread but only Kyle and I would have anything to say. ;)

With Wakefield on the mound....and it being in Fenway....I really do think we take Game 3.

sirdizzy
Oct 5th, 2005, 08:04:24 PM
I don't think the sox will get swept out but I think tonight's loss will cost them the series. Big mistakes have always haunted the Sox and this one will too, welcome back The Idiots.

JMK
Oct 5th, 2005, 08:16:22 PM
Originally posted by CMJ
At least it's NHL opening night. I'd start that thread but only Kyle and I would have anything to say. ;)

With Wakefield on the mound....and it being in Fenway....I really do think we take Game 3.

My Habs get a VERY late 3rd period goal and take their season opener in Boston 2-1. Not a good night for Boston sports fans.
I feel their pain...and yet I rejoice in their anguish.

Red Sox lose. Bruins lose. Pats looking vunerable. What's happening?

Jedieb
Oct 5th, 2005, 09:04:17 PM
Red Sox lose. Bruins lose. Pats looking vunerable. What's happening?
Things are returning to normal? ;)

Doc Milo
Oct 5th, 2005, 10:21:53 PM
Jedieb:
Playoff Attendance
Boston at Chicago Game 1 40,717 (100.3% full)
Yankees at Angles Game 1 45,142 (100.2% full)
San Diego at St. Louis Game 1 52,349 (104% full)

Houston at Atlanta Game 1 40,590 (81% full)

And that ladies and gentlemen is why Braves fans are LAME!

JMK:
And the day game excuse holds exactly zero water. I guess they aren't going to show up if their team is going to give up 10 runs and get killed every NLDS. Maybe they're saying that they'll show up for the NLCS...if and when they ever get there.

I am not surprised. Atlanta is not a true baseball town, IMHO. My friends and I used to do yearly baseball trips. We'd follow the Mets -- since they were all Mets fans, and I was the only Yankees fan, I got outvoted. One year, we went to Atlanta. It was a day game, of course not sold out, and they had no life whatsoever. The game was close with the Braves behind, but threatening, and they only got into cheering if the scoreboard told them to make noise. As a NY fan, that is like visiting a foreign land. Never do we need the scoreboard to lead us to cheer for a rally!

Then, that night, we're out on the town, bar-hopping on Fulton street (I believe that was the name of the street...) and my friends are wearing their Mets jerseys. Some guy with a Braves cap comes by and says, "Hey, Mets fans, what you doing here?" My friends say, "we're following the Mets, in town for the games." To which this supposed Braves fan says: "Oh, yeah? Who they playing?"

Who are they playing? ????? Now, we either have a dumb guy wondering who the Braves are playing, not realizing we just told him we're following the Mets, or . . . he's asking us who the Mets are playing .... but .... who else would the New York Mets be playing in Atlanta except for the Atlanta Braves?

Yeah, really true baseball/Braves fans living down there all right!

LAME! (as Jedieb pointed out.)

Jedieb
Oct 5th, 2005, 10:27:01 PM
You're killing me A-Rod, you're KILLING me! An error that lead to the tying run, and the next inning he gets caught stealing. Looks like we're headed for 1:30AM EST ending. Work will be special tomorrow.:x

Jedieb
Oct 5th, 2005, 10:30:11 PM
Crap, crap, crap. A grounder, a bunt, and both men get on. It'll be a miracle if Wang gets out of this inning. :cry

Doc Milo
Oct 5th, 2005, 10:32:41 PM
Dissen gonna be messy. Me no watchin!

Jedieb
Oct 5th, 2005, 10:40:44 PM
Wang almost got out of it. He just got that last pitch up too high. It's a shame, he pitched a great game. The Yanks were just too sloppy tonight. Errors, 8 men left on base, you can't win like that. If Leiter can get this lefty out we'll have a shot, but it's a stretch against that bullpen. Watch, the game will end with A-Rod at the plate stranding a runner.

CMJ
Oct 5th, 2005, 10:41:52 PM
Well, maybe the Angels can salvage my night of baseball afterall.

Jedieb
Oct 5th, 2005, 10:52:19 PM
Due up in the 9th, Posada, Tino, and Jeter. One of them will get on, A-Rod will get his chance at redemption and leave me hanging. Jesus, I hate being right all the time. :cry

Lance Casey
Oct 5th, 2005, 10:52:29 PM
KNew Yanks wouldn't sweep the Angels, they are just to good of a ball club. Atleast we got Johnson on friday and Chacon or Small on saturday in the bronx.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 5th, 2005, 10:54:24 PM
Well I am disapointed in that game tonight. But honestly I didn't expect much from Boston because of their pitching problems. They can come back but I am happy for last year so right now it isn't a big deal :) Still won't be happy if they are swept. If the Sox go down, I am going to start rooting for the White Sox, I wouldn't mind seeing their 90 year streak end.

CMJ
Oct 5th, 2005, 10:57:00 PM
Molina!!!

Jedieb
Oct 5th, 2005, 10:58:46 PM
That HR by Molina pretty much seals the deal. I'll be logging off now and crying myself to sleep. But, at least the evil Red Sox are at death's door. :evil

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 5th, 2005, 11:01:19 PM
You better watch out the Yankees might follow :p Its like I said Fox would love a Sox-Yankees rematch but I bet they get Angels-White Sox.

Jedieb
Oct 5th, 2005, 11:06:52 PM
Too little, too late Jorge. Damn, that HR by Molina is just killing us now.

Jedieb
Oct 5th, 2005, 11:15:52 PM
I got the part about A-Rod being the last out right. :cry

That damn kid at 3rd killed us tonight.

CMJ
Oct 5th, 2005, 11:16:22 PM
Incredible defense by the Angels to get that last out. Thank you Angels for not ruining 2 days of sports watching in a row.

:rollin

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 5th, 2005, 11:20:45 PM
Yeah would have sucked to see the Yankees up 2-0 and going home. Now if the Angels can win one game and the Sox win both games in Boston who knows :)

jjwr
Oct 6th, 2005, 06:13:14 AM
And that is why A-Rod should not be MVP :) He's not even the most valuable guy on his own team.

As for the Sox...blah, just BLAH!

Offense has gone to sleep this series, 6 runs in two games isn't going to cut it. They need to wake up and pull their heads out of their butts.

The Error was costly but that was in the what 5th inning? Sox had plenty of chances on offense to pull it out. They didn't give up another run so the pitching and defense were good, its their offense that is killing them.

JMK
Oct 6th, 2005, 07:44:15 AM
This simply isn't the same team that had the leadership, skill and hunger to end the curse. It just isn't. They're tired, they're flawed, they're not as hungry and just aren't as good as last year. Their pitching never gave the offense a chance in game 1, and the offense didn't come through in game 2 when it the pitching held it together for the most part.

I was surprised to hear that A-Rod has been stinking it up. He has some pathetic 4-22 average at the plate in his last 6 playoff games or something stupid like that, and he's made boneheaded errors at bad times. Oh well. At least he produces when it doesn't count. ;)

I've been to 2 Braves games over the past 2 seasons and neither were close to a sellout. Last year I went to a monday afternoon game when the Giants were in town. Barry was at 697 or 698, so you figure the fans would come out to possibly witness #700. Nope, there were 22,000 there. I've got pictures to prove it. :) This year I was at a saturday afternoon game, and it was closer to capacity, but still only 37,000. Like Eb and Doc said. LAME fans. 1st place 14 years in a row...and can't sellout a playoff game? Terrible. No excuse for that.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 6th, 2005, 09:11:51 AM
Well last year Sox's team was inspired plus their pitching was a lot better. No Martinez or Lowe or Foulke for that matter. Besides its tough to repeat, the last three WS winners didn't and two of them didn't even get back in the playoffs the following year.

jjwr
Oct 6th, 2005, 09:47:20 AM
I was surprised to hear that A-Rod has been stinking it up. He has some pathetic 4-22 average at the plate in his last 6 playoff games or something stupid like that, and he's made boneheaded errors at bad times. Oh well. At least he produces when it doesn't count.

Which is exactly why he deserves MVP honors! Who cares if he piles up great numbers in blow outs, give him the MVP just because!

Ahem....

CMJ
Oct 6th, 2005, 09:58:35 AM
I don't think you can totally blame Boston's bats for the offensive woes. I mean Chicago did throw out two pretty good pitchers against us.

JMK
Oct 6th, 2005, 10:06:23 AM
Here are the reasons for the Red Sox losses. In no particular order, so place them as you like.

1. Superior opponent
2. Fatigue
3. Choking
4. Not good enough

There are probably others, but I'd have to say that they simply aren't good enough for this time of the year. They were the best hitting team in the majors this year, they racked up more runs and HRs than anyone and beat up on pretty much everyone. So how do you account for the failures?

I'd rank my reasons as follows:

Of course it isn't over yet and we shouldn't write the Red Sox off yet but that's what I see so far.

CMJ
Oct 6th, 2005, 10:46:27 AM
Little known fact...White Sox hit more homers than Boston this season. They are a complete team.

Still, Wakefield...Fenway...Game 3....ours.

Ask me about Game 4 Friday night. ;)

Jedieb
Oct 6th, 2005, 11:22:37 AM
Even with a crappy game yesterday A-Rod still managed to get on base 3 times and score a run. Even when he's bad, he still gets his numbers. And how has Big Papi done these last two games, since we're trashing MVP candidates with their first two playoff games? ;)

The loss of Pedro looms large. The Red Sox should have opened up their checkbook and written the damn check. Even if he wanted a long term deal, you could have chalked up the money at the end of the contract to bonus pay for Pedro helping you end that 86 year drought. With Pedro, you would have won the division and these last two games would have been at Fenway.

JMK
Oct 6th, 2005, 11:42:41 AM
You're right on about Pedro. When he left I thought it was a big mistake. People say he was losing his stuff, but he's smart enough to figure things out and reinvent himself. If the Mets had been a better team this year he could have had a Cy Young contending year.

Little known fact...White Sox hit more homers than Boston this season.

You're right, my bad.

White Sox 200
Red Sox 199

;)

Jedieb
Oct 6th, 2005, 06:30:23 PM
And the Cards continue to prove the Padres are basically a bye. The Astros have gotten an early run on Smoltz. Smoltz is pitching well, but it seems the Astros are impersonating MLB hitters at the moment. If they can get Clemens another run that may be all Roger needs tonight. I haven't seen anything on tonight's attendance, but it can't be any worse than the embarrasing Game 1 figures.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 6th, 2005, 08:38:41 PM
I don't think they aren't good enough or they are choking. Now their pitching is a huge problem. Clement has been horrible since he got hit in the head back in July. He just isn't the same pitcher. If they make it to game 5 they would have to pitch somebody else. He just has nothing. Their defense has been a problem of late too, I thought it was going to be better this year but alas not. Now the offense is fine, but you got to have some pitching to make it through to the WS, and that I think is Boston's problems. About Pedro, well he would have put them way above the luxury tax and they though they had his replacement. He could have took the deal they offered it showed he was more interested in the money than winning. He isn't going anywhere with the mets. Still, I wouldn't count them out, not just counting last year, but a few years ago they were down 2-0 to the Indians and railed to win that series in 5, so who knows.

CMJ
Oct 7th, 2005, 12:40:41 AM
Smoltz came up huge. He's so money in the postseason.

JMK
Oct 7th, 2005, 07:31:24 AM
And Clemens is not. He's only 10-8 in post season play with a bloated 4+ era. Did anyone else smile last night when McCann hit his homer of Clemens? I felt so good for the kid. Then later that night 2 kids on my Canadiens team scored their first NHL goal. :)

Jedieb
Oct 7th, 2005, 01:29:37 PM
Smoltz has been good in the playoffs, but he no Whitey Ford. ;)
Clemens was pretty clutch when he beat Smoltz and clinched the Yanks World Series sweep of the Braves. :evil

JMK
Oct 7th, 2005, 02:02:13 PM
Also surprising is the fact that Randy Johnson is only 8-10 in his post season career, and he's never won in a divisional series start. How weird is that? :huh

CMJ
Oct 7th, 2005, 03:19:38 PM
I'd carry Ortiz's and Ramirez's love child.:smokin

jjwr
Oct 7th, 2005, 03:20:18 PM
LOL...the bats are finally waking up! Hopefully the rest of the lineup will follow suit now.

CMJ
Oct 7th, 2005, 03:31:35 PM
Wake's pitches are dnacing again. Just need to get ahead before we goto the bullpen.

jjwr
Oct 7th, 2005, 04:03:48 PM
Well down 4-2 and 2 more runners on. they should bring in Arroyo and let him try and finish this out. the offense needs to do something, they have been so anemic this series.

CMJ
Oct 7th, 2005, 04:15:02 PM
I think it's been great pitching more than bad hitting.

JMK
Oct 7th, 2005, 04:15:32 PM
Nice way to end the top of the 7th. If that doesn't pick up the offense then nothing will. They have to come through now. They've got to have another good inning and try to turn over the order once more for the 9th.

CMJ
Oct 7th, 2005, 04:17:39 PM
That went about 700ft....:smokin

jjwr
Oct 7th, 2005, 04:46:18 PM
Oh the pitching has been great no doubt but you would think at some point in 3 games they would be able to get something going.

Course they just did but couldn't bring in a run with 3 outs to do it, did Francona not push for the sac fly? With bases loaded they should have left that with a tie game.

CMJ
Oct 7th, 2005, 04:47:53 PM
I couldn't believe we left them all stranded. I thought we had a tie for sure.

jjwr
Oct 7th, 2005, 05:11:04 PM
8th inning and middle of the order, unless these guys can do something then the big bats aren't coming up again.

Paplebon has been incredible down the stretch, I'm curious if he's going to be a starter next year or possibly the new closer?

jjwr
Oct 7th, 2005, 05:31:15 PM
5-3 in the 9th, if Sox can get someone on in the 9th they will have Ortiz and maybe Manny up. Honestly the way they have been playing I'm not counting on it, I can see a 1-2-3 9th to end it.

As for the White Sox, these guys can play! I would love to see them win it if the Red Sox can't. As for the suicide squeeze, why can't the Sox manufacture runs like that? They turn a single hit into a run with only 1 out while the Sox had bases loaded with no outs and couldn't get a single run.

Jedieb
Oct 7th, 2005, 05:39:50 PM
Sorry for the heartbreak Sox fans. You had a remarkable run, and you put up a good fight. You should never forget last year, it was clutch and epic. Out of respect for the board's Sox fans, especially Court, I'll refrain from gloating for one night. But come tomorrow I will have the Yankee obnoxious throttle on full.

CMJ
Oct 7th, 2005, 05:40:35 PM
It'd be remarkable it their curse could end as well.

JMK
Oct 7th, 2005, 06:07:28 PM
Boy did El Duque put on a clinic. That was embarassing. Especially for Varitek. He was AWFUL at the plate.

jjwr
Oct 7th, 2005, 06:23:38 PM
I wouldn't be cheering too hard for the Yanks just yet, lets see if they make it out the weekend alive first :)

Sox had a great 3 year run but this years team was definetly different, the pitching staff was weak and it seemed outside of the big 2 none of the other batters would step up when needed.

Angels up 3-0 on randy johnson and every ball was hit hard.

JMK
Oct 7th, 2005, 06:37:58 PM
Right, on. Down the stretch the Sox were a 2 man team. Today is a perfect example. They scored 3 runs on 3 solo HR's. So not only could any other hitters be on base, they needed long balls just to score. That's not good enough. For the amount they paid Renteria he did not nearly deliver enough offensively, nor did anyone else for that matter.

CMJ
Oct 7th, 2005, 06:54:17 PM
Angels are taking it to the Yankees. Maybe my night can be salvaged after all.

JMK
Oct 7th, 2005, 07:27:05 PM
Yeah, that will take some sting out for sure.

Say, didn't the Yankees get the Big Unit just for games like this?

jjwr
Oct 7th, 2005, 07:32:22 PM
Yup they did, though to be fair he had been killer down the stretch so this nights pounding was a bit unexpected.

Sox definetly gotta reload next year, I'm guessing Millar will be gone, possibly Mueller. I like Graffanino at 2nd, gotta resign Damon. Not sure on Nixon, Renteria is a whole other question, I wonder if they could trade him and bring up Henley Ramirez.

JMK
Oct 7th, 2005, 08:06:44 PM
I think they'll look at clearing a whole ton of salary. Manny is reportedly set to fire his agent, hire Scott Boras and demand a trade. Damon is a must. I'd say lose Renteria and bring in Henley. If they can drop Manny and Edgar that would free up a whole ton of cash for top flight pitchers. Then again, how do you replace Manny?

JMK
Oct 7th, 2005, 08:10:18 PM
Ugh. Now the Spankees are leading the game.

What gives here??? Don't leads mean anything anymore? Sox blow a 4-0 lead, Angels blow a 5-0 lead. With the way these teams mash they ought to change the adage that pitching wins rings.

jjwr
Oct 7th, 2005, 08:22:58 PM
Tie game again.

Makes you wonder what Manny's issue is, if he plays out his contract in Boston he'll hit his 500th Homer and leave some massive stats behind and go down as one of the all-time greats on the team that beat the curse.

I can't recall the player but I was reading on EsPN about a 40hr first baseman who was coming up in Free Agency this year, might have even been Konerko.

If they are going to trade Manny they have to bring in a few other 30+ HR bats to protect Papi. As for pitchers, they need some young blood, when Arroyo at what 28? is your youngest starter its not necessarily a good thing. 3 pitchers at 40+ is not ideal.

JMK
Oct 7th, 2005, 08:29:38 PM
No, that's no good at all. Schilling is a bull when he's healthy, Wells has a rubber arm but is too fat and not reliable and Wakefield can throw knuckleballs till he's 50, but its not recommended to be loaded with old farts. I can't imagine why Manny would want to leave Fenway. Sure the fans and media don't give him a moments rest, but he wouldn't be any happier with a losing team in KC or Milwaukee. He'll be a first ballot HOFer in Fenway. He's not a good outfielder, he doesn't run...all he does is hit. And Fenway is a great stage for his towering blasts. That being said, is he really worth 20 million given the other glaring needs on the team?

I think Jim Thome is up for free agency speaking of first basemen.

jjwr
Oct 7th, 2005, 08:38:00 PM
Thome is old too though but he's definetly a good hitter. I would imagine between the $$ they would save on Ramirez & Renteria that they could get a few nice bookends to place around Ortiz.

JMK
Oct 7th, 2005, 08:50:48 PM
He's no older than Olerud. Between the 2 of them I would say they could handle first base. Yeah I imagine they will make some other nice additions. Again though, they'll have to decide how much money they're going to allocate to hitting and how much they'll allocate to pitching. If they bank on a healthy Schilling and Foulke in '06 and load up with big bats then they may be setting themselves up for failure again.

jjwr
Oct 7th, 2005, 09:09:38 PM
Agreed. Hopefully Clement & Arroyo will be solid and maybe Paplebon can become a good starter.

Angels up 8-6 with bases loaded and no one out. The Yanks are on the ropes...

JMK
Oct 7th, 2005, 09:17:52 PM
9-6, going to bottom of 7. :)

I think they should look at Papelbon as a potential closer, like the Jenks kid with the White Sox.

jjwr
Oct 7th, 2005, 09:39:03 PM
10-6 in the 8th, 2 on with only 1 out, go Angels!!

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 7th, 2005, 10:30:21 PM
Well like I said yesterday it will be White Sox vs the Angels. Right now I will rout for the White Sox because they haven't won in forever. As for Boston, sure I am sad they lost, but you know what after winning the WS it doesn't hurt that much at all. I remember after they lost in 2003 and back in 99, I was down for several weeks. Now it it like oh well I still have last years team to cherish. As for next year, they need to let some of their older guys go. I let Wells go for sure. I keep Wakefield and tried to add a few young pitchers. As for Manny, I would only trade him if he demands it. It will still be hard to trade him honestly.

JMK
Oct 8th, 2005, 07:15:01 AM
Oh yeah it will be very hard to trade him. There's only a handful of teams that would take that contract. The Yanks being one of them. Whoever they shipped him to, they would have to pay an enormous part of his salary.

jjwr
Oct 8th, 2005, 08:28:50 AM
That was my feelings exactly JMK, they won it last year so this year is still a freebie year, playing the casino's money as one ESPN analyst put it. It would have been nice for them to do it again but it just wasn't meant to be.

Basically if Manny demands a trade they need to tell him if he wants to go he needs to give up some $$$ ala what A-Rod was going to do. If they dump him and eat a huge chunk of his contract then it will be hard to get his production back for the same amount of money.

Jedieb
Oct 8th, 2005, 10:47:53 AM
The Yankees and Red Sox are a combined 1-5 against Chicago and the Angles. That's $329M vs. $170M for those that like to keep count. The top 2 payrolls against the 5th and 13th. Despite being bitter rivals, the Yanks and Sox were eerily similiar this season; big bats, inconsistent starting pitching, bullpen problems, and shoddy defense. While Chicago and the Angles can claim strengths in all of those areas. I like our chances with Chacon on the mound, but another loss in the Bronx wouldn't surprise me.

You want Smoltz in a big playoff game, you can have him. Give me El Duque. (And he's 40 people, not 36.) Yesterday was nothing new for my Cuban hero. El Duque is 9-2 with an ERA under 3. That's a lower ERA and a higher winning percentage than Smoltz and El Duque has had far fewer starts. If the Yankees do come back and beat the Angels I'll cry every time I see El Duque on the mound against them. He's one of the best big game pitchers the league has seen in recent years. If he'd been able to have his entire career in the MLB he could have been a HOF. The Red Sox now curse the day Fidel let him escape the island.

JMK
Oct 8th, 2005, 11:32:41 AM
Here's another factoid:

Manny and Papi hit .318 in the series, the rest of the team hit .220.

Now that's more than just facing good playoff pitching. Manny and Papi were seemingly unaffected but the rest of the roster couldn't touch the ball. That's a partial choke job.

Jedieb
Oct 8th, 2005, 12:00:01 PM
The Yankees and Angels have been rained out. The game has been pushed to Sunday, 7PM.

CMJ
Oct 8th, 2005, 09:12:59 PM
Oswalt comes up big as the Astro's win Game 3.

jjwr
Oct 9th, 2005, 01:28:28 PM
Braves are right back in it in game 4 up huge in the 8th. Looks like at least 1 series is going into game 5, lets hope its the only one :)

Jedieb
Oct 9th, 2005, 02:39:12 PM
Typical Atlanta, snacthing a playoff defeat from the jaws of victory.

JMK
Oct 9th, 2005, 03:54:51 PM
Top of the 15th. End the game already. :x

Jedieb
Oct 9th, 2005, 03:58:16 PM
The Astros will have to go to Clemens if this goes 16. Holy cow.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 9th, 2005, 04:29:43 PM
This just helps the Cards, winner of this series will have nothing for them.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 9th, 2005, 04:45:19 PM
18th inning jeez, both teams just look exhausted. One thing I bet the cards sweep either one of these teams.

Jedieb
Oct 9th, 2005, 04:46:14 PM
Unbelievable, Clemens is heading to the mound for the 18th! Devine just threw his first inning for the Braves and this will be Roger's 3rd. The Astros have no one left to pitch and I think the same is true for the Braves. Wow.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 9th, 2005, 04:47:51 PM
Astros could use Oswalt if they had to, I suppose.

Jedieb
Oct 9th, 2005, 05:01:18 PM
Buh bye Braves!!!!!!!! Wow, what a game. I haven't even paid attention to any of the afternoon games since this hit extra innings. Great baseball.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 9th, 2005, 05:03:00 PM
I know that was amazing, took forever though :p

JMK
Oct 9th, 2005, 05:12:46 PM
Another Braves collapse. Though after 18 it's hard to call anything a collapse. But innings 7-9 definetly were. Great game, and once again we bid the Braves adieu in the first round.

Jedieb
Oct 9th, 2005, 05:33:06 PM
Up 6-1 in the 8th. Yep, you can call it a collapse. :evil

Jedieb
Oct 9th, 2005, 05:58:32 PM
And it begins....

Chacon, deliver me a fifth game and I'll let you have your pick from my litter!:crack

JMK
Oct 9th, 2005, 07:09:47 PM
When you think back at the Yankees' year it really is remarkable how many things started going their way. When their high priced started started dropping like flies, they needed guys like Wong, Small and Chacon to come in and basically hold the fort. Well they did more than that, they were arguably their best pitchers. They also needed Giambi to wake up and return to form...which he did. They needed the Blue Jays, Orioles and Red Sox to collapse, which they all eventually did. I guess the good lord was smiling on the Yanks this year.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 9th, 2005, 07:11:53 PM
Well if they don't get past this round then I say no because really what is the difference between them and the Sox both bowing out in the first round or the Braves for that matter. To me not much.

JMK
Oct 9th, 2005, 07:13:37 PM
No it won't be much of a difference but considering people (many of us here) were pretty much throwing dirt on them in early July, to come back and take the division was pretty strong.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 9th, 2005, 07:16:16 PM
Well barely, it wouldn't shock me if Steinbrenner would look at that way, he could even be crazy enough to fire Torre.

jjwr
Oct 9th, 2005, 08:54:23 PM
It was impressive for them to come back but also take into consideration their rather expensive lineup was still in play for most of the year and quite often would just bludgeon teams down with 8+ runs which helped the pitchers.

Sadly Yanks up 3-2 getting ready for the 9th

JMK
Oct 9th, 2005, 09:16:42 PM
Back to Anaheim for game 5. :thumbdown

Jedieb
Oct 10th, 2005, 05:18:11 AM
How's the golf course lookin' today boys? :evil

Jedieb
Oct 10th, 2005, 05:31:05 AM
It was impressive for them to come back but also take into consideration their rather expensive lineup was still in play for most of the year and quite often would just bludgeon teams down with 8+ runs which helped the pitchers.
Do I hear bitter Sox fans complaining yet again about payrolls? Even after they got beaten to a pulp by a team they outspent by over 52M dollars?! Let it go, let it go......>D

jjwr
Oct 10th, 2005, 06:54:22 AM
Nah, I just find it funny how un-clutch A-Rod is :)

As for the Golf Course, I hear the Yankee's are playing once the Sox finish their first 18...

Jedieb
Oct 10th, 2005, 07:09:53 AM
They might be, but they sure as hell won't be hitting the course today. We STILL have business to attend to. :evil

And A-Rod does blow chunks with men in scoring position. The only thing he's good for is a walk. I called his walk last night before he even stepped in the batter's box.

The winner of tonight's game is going to have to get on another late night flight and head to Chicago for Tuesday's game 1 of the ALCS. Tough? yeah, but that's what you get for not taking care of business. The White Sox should get an edge for sweeping the Red Sox.

jjwr
Oct 10th, 2005, 08:21:37 AM
Its to the point where I would much rather have Giambi or Sheffield up with the game on the line than A-Rod.

I didn't realize the ALCS started tomorrow, definetly rough for whichever team wins tonight. Course the Rainout didn't help but thats part of the game.

JMK
Oct 10th, 2005, 08:52:54 AM
Yeah...the stars are all aligning for the White Sox. They must be loaded with confidence at this point.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 10th, 2005, 10:57:28 AM
They should beat up whoever they get honestly. It is looking more and more likely the WS will be Cards and White Sox.

Jedieb
Oct 10th, 2005, 02:51:45 PM
3 hours........... 3 hours.............. 3 hours.............. :crack

jjwr
Oct 10th, 2005, 08:46:18 PM
Wow Colon goes out and the guy that replaces him has been lights out. Then the Angels get to Mussina which brings in Johnson who has dominated the Angels, great game so far.

CMJ
Oct 10th, 2005, 09:03:24 PM
It's 5-3 after the top of the 7th.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 10th, 2005, 09:06:19 PM
This is where the Angels are good, their bullpen can just be dominating, especially Escobar and K-Rod.

jjwr
Oct 10th, 2005, 09:13:12 PM
Johnson still mowing them down in the 7th, looks like Gordon for the 8th.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 10th, 2005, 09:15:07 PM
Well if he pitches the 8th the angels might score some runs against him :p

jjwr
Oct 10th, 2005, 09:19:07 PM
Bernie Williams had what may have been his last at bat as a Yankee, fly ball to left field. Amazing 15 year career for Bernie.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 10th, 2005, 09:35:29 PM
3 outs to go.

jjwr
Oct 10th, 2005, 09:38:31 PM
Alex "Don't call me Bellhorn" Rodriguez just hit into a DP in the 9th.

jjwr
Oct 10th, 2005, 09:43:57 PM
Yanks get 2 on with 2 out to make it interesting...

CMJ
Oct 10th, 2005, 09:45:58 PM
And there it is. Angels win...Theeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Angels win!!

;)

jjwr
Oct 10th, 2005, 09:46:00 PM
And its over, killer play at first base to kill the Yankees!

At least the Sox won't be alone on the golf course now :)

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 10th, 2005, 09:46:53 PM
Great play by Erstad to end the game. Its funny the Angels like knocking the Yankees out in the Division series :p

JMK
Oct 10th, 2005, 09:47:07 PM
:crack

Woooohooooo!

Jedieb
Oct 10th, 2005, 09:47:53 PM
A-rod should find himself a nice winter home in Florida. Stay the hell out of the Bronx you bum.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 10th, 2005, 09:50:05 PM
Yeah that Double play was costly. A-Rod hasn't lived up to the money he is making in the postseason.

CMJ
Oct 10th, 2005, 09:53:13 PM
A-Rod once again shows why he's the greatest player alive....when it doesn't mean anything.:smokin

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 10th, 2005, 09:58:12 PM
lol you said it.

CMJ
Oct 10th, 2005, 09:58:43 PM
Year Two Thousand

*clap**clap**clap**clap**clap*

Year Two Thousand

Year Two Thousand

(I had to hear 1918 long enough)

:smokin

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 10th, 2005, 10:02:31 PM
lol well maybe the White Sox will break their curse.

jjwr
Oct 11th, 2005, 06:18:15 AM
Sad thing is Bubba Crosby had as many hits in this game as A-Rod had in the whole series and more RBI to boot!

JMK
Oct 11th, 2005, 06:51:15 AM
Yep, pretty sad stuff.

I guess that means that he's still not a true Yankee.

Jedieb
Oct 11th, 2005, 12:03:18 PM
I'll be rooting for an Astros vs. White Sox World Series. Whichever NL team gets in will get my vote. If the Cards get in Idl hate to see LaRussa lose yet another WS. The Astros have Biggio and Bagwell and they're more than due.

JMK
Oct 11th, 2005, 12:13:06 PM
Yeah, it would be awesome to see them get a ring. It would be the exclamation points on hall of fame careers for both of them.

So will Steinbrenner take the rather obvious hint this time and decide to build or will he keep on trying to buy a ring? Yankee fans are already talking about Torii Hunter, Johnny Damon, Manny, and other available players. Haven't they figured out that this way isn't working? Apparently not. Yankee fans are becoming like the spoiled rich kid that just picks & chooses what he wants with little regard for cost.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 11th, 2005, 12:29:18 PM
I want to see the White Sox win, because of their winless streak. Its been way too long for them.

Jedieb
Oct 11th, 2005, 05:38:15 PM
I'm not sure what King George will do, but things are changing in NY. First, Cashman is out of there. He's been there longing than any other Steinbrenner era GM. A sane man can only take so much. His contract is up and he'll be on the short list for several teams. Torre will probably be back, but again, the idea of managing somewhere else or taking a year off has to become more appealing year after year. The Yankees are actually going to see their payroll drop now. Bernie, Kevin Brown, Matsui, and a few other big contracts are up. Resigning Matsui should be there first priority. Acquiring a legit CF should be their second. They went after pitching in the last off season and that was a disaster. Do they go after some more arms or see if the pitchers they acquired last year do better in their second year? It'll be an interesting off season.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 11th, 2005, 05:42:16 PM
Well Steinbrenner loves Pinella and he might make a play for him. I think that will be a mistake, since I think Pinella is a very overrated manager.

JMK
Oct 11th, 2005, 06:23:53 PM
Piniella's temper precedes him. End of story. He's not a good manager. The Yankees should stay the course with Small, Chacon and Wang. They were terrific for them and deserve to stay on the team. EVERYONE else is expendable except Rivera of course.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 11th, 2005, 06:30:21 PM
True but Steinbrenner is in love with him, got me why. When ever Torre goes most think that is who will replace him. Also why did the Yankees give up on Conteras? That seems like a huge mistake now.

Doc Milo
Oct 11th, 2005, 07:19:36 PM
This is one Yankees fan that wants to see them pare down their payroll, and start rebuilding the farm system. What the Yankees really need is to see Steinbrenner get into trouble again, get banned from the game for a few years, and let the "baseball people" like Gene Michael work their magic with the farm system once again. The Yanks started this run with a nucleus of home-grown talent. Since 2000, however, they've tried to build a nucleus on big-name free agents. They get a lot of talent, but nothing that can develop into the type of team they had in 1996, 1998, 1999, and 2000. It was okay when they were going to the free agent market to suplement the home-grown nucleus they already had, but they've gotten past that now, and are trying to build a team on high-priced, past-their-prime free agents.

It might mean being out of the post-season for a few years, but they have to rebuild from within again.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 11th, 2005, 07:21:12 PM
Yeah that is the best thing for them honestly. But as long as Steinbrenner is around its going to be tough.

JMK
Oct 11th, 2005, 08:22:36 PM
Steinbrenner just won't accept mediocrity. Of course, rebuilding doesn't automatically mean that the team will stink, but conventional wisdom says that better players will bring better results. That 'wisdom' is being disproven rapidly, thanks to King George's overspending ways, but his ego is so rampant at this point that he will die before acquiescing to rebuilding and 'moneyball' tactics.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 11th, 2005, 08:38:06 PM
well overspending will hurt because of the luxury tax, how long can they stay over that especially when they start paying over 100%.
Meanwhile have a close game, it is 3-2 Angels in the bottom of the 8th. I am surprised they are playing so well, I figured they get killed.

CMJ
Oct 11th, 2005, 08:47:12 PM
Angels rotation is still in tatters, but if they win this(with practically everything against them) you have to like their chances.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 11th, 2005, 08:50:38 PM
Well I figured they get killed today I figure the lack of time between the two games would hurt. Still, it will be tough with the Colon Situation. Homefield doesn't mean much, I bet it goes at least 6 now.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 11th, 2005, 08:56:53 PM
Interesting article about the White Sox and curses, they don't have one.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/20051011/sp_usatoday/whitesoxlooktoendtheotherdrought

CMJ
Oct 11th, 2005, 09:08:12 PM
It's more because they don't complain about it like we did. They went over 40 years without a home playoff victory. That's bad stuff. ;)

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 11th, 2005, 09:52:35 PM
Heh yeah I think you are right.

jjwr
Oct 12th, 2005, 06:49:22 AM
The problem is George won't let them rebuild the team the right way. They need to cut some serious salary and get rid of a lot of scrub, overpaid and underachieving players. They have a solid Nucleus of pitchers in Wang, Chacon, Small, if Pavano can go next year thats a great 4 man rotation and they can plug it from there.

You have A-Rod, Sheffield, Jeter and Cano, build around them and bring in younger players or mid range free agents who can play both the field and the plate and let your big bats carry you.

JMK
Oct 12th, 2005, 07:01:18 AM
Great, great win for the Angels last night. Huge. Major props to them for playing in 3 time zones in 3 nights and winning all 3 games.

Can you still build around Sheffield and Jeter? Sheffield is an old man now, though still pretty effective, and Jeter is an early-30's shortstop. I don't know if you can safely build around guys like that for the future. Short term maybe, but not if you're looking to do it through the farm.

jjwr
Oct 12th, 2005, 01:11:13 PM
With A-Rod and Cano those other two could easily bridge the gap to whatever prospects they have coming up.

Odds are though George will go with mostly the same lineup, snag a player like Damon or Torii Hunter for Center Field and send out the same lineup again next year and just assume it will work.

JMK
Oct 12th, 2005, 01:38:31 PM
You mean he will command the line up to work. :lol

Jeter is still young enough to bridge a gap, but how many 'true Yankees' will they be able to draft for replacing hall of famers? They have a helluva job to do in that department IMO.

Jedieb
Oct 12th, 2005, 02:39:54 PM
Guys like Cano are proof that the farm system isn't as depleted as some might think. There are some gems in there, they just have to be developed. Thank god that the likes of Kevin Brown are gone. I really think resigning Matsui should be a top priority. If the rotation can stay healthy next year they could easily win 100 games. As for big free agents, I really hope Damon stays in Boston. I hate seeing key players leave their franchises. Would anyone want to see Jeter in anything other than pinstripes? It just wouldn't look right.

JMK
Oct 12th, 2005, 02:45:09 PM
The ball will be in Damon's court though. Apparently Steinbrenner wants Damon badly and will offer just about whatever it takes to get him. We'll see where Damon's loyalties lie.

CMJ
Oct 12th, 2005, 07:01:32 PM
Chicago up 1-0 but made an IDIOT baserunning move in the bottom of the second. Be happy with e triple for God's sake.

CMJ
Oct 12th, 2005, 09:11:06 PM
Bad calls both ways, but a HUGE one goes against the angels in the bottom of the 9th. Sox come thru win the victory.

Wow, what a game.

Didn't see the other one, but the Cardinals won 5-3.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 12th, 2005, 09:37:07 PM
Very controversial play there at the end. Was he out or not?

CMJ
Oct 12th, 2005, 09:39:49 PM
It sure was close. I don't know why the catcher just didn't tag him. You ALWAYS do it if it's a close play. The umps didn't have a good night. I can think of at least one other bad call they had earlier in the game.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 12th, 2005, 09:44:58 PM
I saw the replay a couple of times he looked out to me. Still, you are right he should have tagged him and then it wouldn't have been an issue.

sirdizzy
Oct 12th, 2005, 09:53:39 PM
oh god its the black sox all over, the refs have been payed to throw the ALCS for the Sox who have been payed to throw the world series

the shame, shoeless Joe is turning as we speak

CMJ
Oct 12th, 2005, 09:56:39 PM
Give me a f'n break.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 12th, 2005, 09:56:58 PM
LOL that won't happen again, mainly because the players make so much money there is no reason to throw it. That was the main reason it was thrown back in 1919. Comieski(sp) was a cheap skate and most of the players wanted to stick it to him.

CMJ
Oct 12th, 2005, 10:01:29 PM
Can I just say Mark Buehrle pitched a helluva game? Let's not forget how amazing he was tonight.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 12th, 2005, 10:20:07 PM
Yeah he was that was a heck of a start tonight for him. Carpenter pitched great for St. Louis as well.

sirdizzy
Oct 13th, 2005, 12:26:53 AM
hmmm humor is lost on this crowd, even sarcastic humor at that

should I have said nyuk nyuk and slapped JMC while I did it

and baseball players are payed to much there is this wonderful thing called the salary cap, it brings parity to the league, it keeps salaries down and it would get the least watched and least popular sport from having their players average the most money, its not the 60's america past time has moved on

a football game to watch or a baseball game, football hands down

jjwr
Oct 13th, 2005, 06:21:06 AM
Buehrle went 9 innings for the complete game and was planning on coming out for the 10th, now that was impressive.

They detailed the umps calls during the game on Sportscenter this morning and Harold Reynolds was breaking it down and comparing his calls on that last AB to his calls during the rest of the game and it was all consistent. He made the some motions in all the same situations, his 3rd strike call looked similar to a out call. Obviously there was still confusion though, not sure what else was missed but the Angels catcher definetly felt it was a out.

Problem with the Yanks farm system is there aren't many major ready prospects in there. Thats one of the big reasons they couldn't make a impact trade this year is no one wanted anything they had. Course in another almost bone headed move Cano was almost included in the A-Rod deal.

As for Damon, he's looking for a 5 year contract, some estimate in the 12 M per year range. I'm sorry but thats too long for that kind of money. Sign him for 3 years maybe but not 5 at 12 per.

JMK
Oct 13th, 2005, 06:49:40 AM
I think the Angels were hosed on that play. Though you've got to wonder if the same thing would have happened if Molina was behind the dish? Either way, it seems everyone screwed the pooch on that one, umps and catchers alike. Props to Crede for making them pay for it.

Damon is asking for way too much. 5 years? 12 million/year? No way. Like you said, a 3 year deal would be ideal, maybe a 4 year. Definetly not 5. We don't need no Bernie Williams on our team! Over the hill center fielders who can't catch or throw can stay in pinstripes. If the Yankees want to pay that much for Damon, let him walk.

Jedieb
Oct 13th, 2005, 07:12:33 AM
That was one of the worst calls I've ever seen. It looked as if the home plate ump reacted to Pysidontwanttospellski's dash to first base. It's bad enough that the ball didn't touch the ground, but if the ump thought it had he should have given some indication it was a live ball. Most umps do make some kind of verbal call if a ball hits the ground. If the hitter hadn't run toward first and headed toward the bench does anyone think the ump would have stood there waiting for the White Sox to throw to first to end the inning? To his credit, Socia wouldn't admit that the play cost them the game. He said his team lost because of the way they played during the first 8 innings. They didn't play well enough to absorb the mistake. Pretty classy. If it were me I'd still be at the post game press conference screaming my head off.

Jedieb
Oct 13th, 2005, 07:15:53 AM
And the Red Sox should find some way to compromise and give Damon his deal. You sell out every home game and draw around 3M a year. You're rolling in cash. The NFL pummels you in TV, but they can't touch your attendance. Give him a 4 year deal at 10-12M, whatever it takes.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 13th, 2005, 10:15:42 AM
I agree it was a bad call, although I bet Molinia would have tagged him and it wouldn't have been an issue. As for Damon I agree with you Jedieb that is the best thing compromise with him, I think they can.

CMJ
Oct 13th, 2005, 10:29:37 AM
AJ Pierzynski is also catcher. He knew what to hear for. The fact he never heard that he was out, leads me to believe he wasn't called. Especially since a similar play happened to him last season.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 13th, 2005, 10:38:32 AM
Yeah I heard them talk about that on Baseball Tonight. The Umpire didn't make the verbal call so that had a lot to do with it.

JMK
Oct 13th, 2005, 11:53:55 AM
Listening to the ump's post game explanation is utterly fantastic. What a cover up job he put on. Just admit it, you blew it!

CMJ
Oct 13th, 2005, 11:55:22 AM
All I have to say is.....it's amazing a Chicago team actually is on the lucky side of a break like this. If Anaheim had got the call you'd hear it was divine retribution for the thrown series. ;)

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=ArIjcof_hwHx0yyCECjyIYoRvLYF?slug=cnnsi-whenyouassume&prov=cnnsi&type=lgns

Best article on the incident I've read.

JMK
Oct 13th, 2005, 01:08:20 PM
You're right about that. White Sox fans would be dropping like flies if that went against them. Then again, the way Buehrle was pitching, he would have gotten the 3rd out and this would have been water under the bridge.

The Yankees are old news now, and I don't want to keep banging on A-Rod, but these playoff stats are simply mind-boggling:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9686697/

His numbers are respectable when viewed as a whole—a .305 average with six home runs and 16 RBIs. But he was 2 for 15 without an RBI against the Angels this year, which followed on the heels of a 2 for 17 collar during the four-game swoon last season against the Red Sox. And with 118 official at-bats in the postseason, he has yet to produce a hit with two outs and a runner in scoring position.

WOW. :eek

Jedieb
Oct 14th, 2005, 03:17:08 PM
That was a huge win for Houston last night. They now go back home with the split they couldn't get last year and the Rocket on the mound. I'd be surprised if the Cards couldn't get at least 1 win at Houston, but the Astros have got to feel good about leaving St. Louis win at least 1 win.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 14th, 2005, 06:22:13 PM
Well Carpenter will pitch in one game there so they should win one game in Houston.

CMJ
Oct 14th, 2005, 09:11:23 PM
John Garland looked terrific today. White Sox up 2-1 in the series.

JMK
Oct 15th, 2005, 06:31:18 AM
I really expected the Angels to come out blazing after game 2's finish. But Garland shut them down. My boy Cabrera hit a bomb and that was worth staying up for. :)

Oh, and would someone tell Guerrero that it's ok to take just one pitch?

CMJ
Oct 15th, 2005, 07:41:56 AM
Cabrera is one of the 25....so I'll always love him. ;)

I think Anaheim might be in serious trouble. The White Sox's staff looks more and more formidable as the games are played. Two complete games and the third went into the 9th as well.

jjwr
Oct 15th, 2005, 08:39:01 AM
It still amazes me the Sox chose Renteria over Cabrera

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 15th, 2005, 10:30:00 AM
The White Sox are tough, I think they will win in 6. As for Rentari well, the Red Sox were in love with his defense. He won a gold glove last year, of course he commits like 50 errors last year.

Jedieb
Oct 15th, 2005, 07:57:19 PM
Clemens pitched well and the Astros gave him some run support. Houston is up 2-1 and in good shape. I've been outside working on the house all day so I'm looking forward to vegging out tomorrow on football and baseball.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 15th, 2005, 09:06:04 PM
The White Sox I think are the team to beat. They could even take the series in LA the way they are playing.

CMJ
Oct 15th, 2005, 09:45:50 PM
The White Sox look so damn good now. Like the team that cleaned up in April, May and June.

JMK
Oct 16th, 2005, 07:34:03 AM
Their pitching is just incredible right now. They've had 3 complete games in a row now by their starters. That hasn't happened in my lifetime I'm sure.

It still amazes me the Sox chose Renteria over Cabrera

Renteria was the bigger name at the time, so of course the Sox couldn't leave him out there. If they settled for 2nd best Epstein would have his head handed to him. But Cabrera may win the gold glove at short this year, only 7 errors I think. The Sox could have used his glove this season, I heard they we're so hot defensively. ;) Cabrera is also one of those guys with guts and character. A Scott Brosius/Joe Girardi/Paul O'Neill type player that every team needs in order to win titles. Scrappy, hardnosed and willing to get really dirty to win. That's the type of player Cabrera is, and the Sox didn't have it. Ah well.

JMK
Oct 16th, 2005, 06:18:11 PM
Houston does it again, small-ball style. Up 3-1 in the series.

Jedieb
Oct 16th, 2005, 09:36:56 PM
The White Sox are 3 outs away from the World Series. They look GREAT. They've dominated a very good Angles team. I'm watching a Pepsi commercial with A-Rod and Vlad. Damn, maybe it was the commercial that did them both in. Vlad had an even worse series than A-Rod had and I didn't think that was possible. Contreras is coming out for the 9th. Wow, 4 complete starts. That's just amazing.

CMJ
Oct 16th, 2005, 09:51:05 PM
White Sox ALCS Champions. :)

Give the MVP to the bullpen for keeping the seats warm. ;)

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 16th, 2005, 09:52:41 PM
LOL yeah an amazing job by the starters. I don't think they can get beat, I think they will be too tough by who ever wins the NLCS.

jjwr
Oct 16th, 2005, 09:52:56 PM
4 straight Complete games. Thats just down right impressive. As the guys on Sportscenter just said they were 2 outs in the first inning away from 5 Complete games.

Jedieb
Oct 17th, 2005, 06:23:40 AM
Here's something to consider about the White Sox rotation, if any of their starters had to miss a World Series start because of a freak injury or illness they could throw El Duque out there. How's that for a deep bullpen?

I think Houston matches up better than St. Louis because of their 3 great starters. That would be an amazing pitching match up. Houston's veteran post season starters vs. the White Sox hot rotation. Sweeet.

JMK
Oct 17th, 2005, 06:38:42 AM
That would be amazing. And it should make for quick 2 hour games with lights out pitching. :)

Has 4 complete games in a row ever been done before?

Doc Milo
Oct 17th, 2005, 07:45:27 AM
I believe they said on the game yesterday that it was done by the 1956 Yankees...

JMK
Oct 17th, 2005, 07:54:55 AM
Yeah I just heard that...except I thought I heard 1928 or 29...either way, it's been a helluva long time.

Jedieb
Oct 17th, 2005, 08:12:14 AM
I heard the 1928 Yankees. I think the trick was they were just looking for 4 consecutive complete games. I'm sure there's been a few series that featured 4 CGs.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 17th, 2005, 09:38:54 PM
Very good game in Houston. Pujos just gave St Louis the lead with a three run home run.

CMJ
Oct 17th, 2005, 09:41:56 PM
That thing went about 500ft!

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 17th, 2005, 09:44:43 PM
I know he crushed it.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 17th, 2005, 09:48:11 PM
Game 6 here we come.

CMJ
Oct 17th, 2005, 10:47:22 PM
Hard to know who pick now. Astro's have the lead, but the 9th must've kicked them in the teeth hard. And the Cardinals are going home to a rabid stadium.

Jedieb
Oct 18th, 2005, 06:13:38 AM
Damn, that Puljos AB looked like an A-Rod and Vlad Pepsi commercial!

JMK
Oct 18th, 2005, 07:12:03 AM
What an absolute rocket that was by Pujols. And what a meltdown by Lidge. 2 outs, basehit, walk, home run. Could someone please make a case as to why he didn't put Pujols on and pitch to Sanders? He had cooled off since his hot start vs Atlanta and is a much bigger strikeout candidate. Pujols may be the most dangerous hitter in the world, that decision boggles me, and I don't buy the "You never intentionally put the winning run on". Hogwash.

One strike away, that hurts. That's something that you may not recover from. Thankfully Oswalt goes for Houston tonight. I like their chances to win one of the next 2 but I wouldn't be shocked at all if they didn't.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 18th, 2005, 09:53:19 AM
Yeah me either being in St. Louis who knows. One thing though, that there is probably why Pujols is the NL MVP. And I agree they probably should have walked him.

Doc Milo
Oct 18th, 2005, 11:50:15 AM
"You don't intentionally put the winning run on base" is hogwash, I agree, JMK -- especially in situations where the hitters are people like Pujols, or Ortiz. They are just as likely to score with the bat in their hands as they are on first base and someone else hitting.

JMK
Oct 18th, 2005, 11:52:47 AM
It's clear the old way of thinking was put into use there. The fact is (it's not really FACT but you get my point) that Sanders was less likely to get a hit off of Lidge with the bases loaded than Pujols was to hit a homer in any situation.

Jedieb
Oct 18th, 2005, 08:10:16 PM
It's easy to second guess Garner. But what if he'd walked him and Sanders had nailed Lidge? Then we'd be saying; "How could you pitch to a guy that's been hot for most of the playoffs?" Up until his injury Sanders had been the Cardinals hottest hitter. Garner was in a no win situation. He trusted his closer and he got burned. I think he made a good choice. It bit him in the rear, but I can understand it.

CMJ
Oct 19th, 2005, 11:21:18 PM
Astros vs Sox for all the marbles.

JMK
Oct 20th, 2005, 07:01:22 AM
Oswalt was the stuff of legend last night. No hit ball for 4 innings? That's called getting the job done. He was on last night and was not going to give in. Bagwell, Biggio finally get their shot.

Jedieb
Oct 20th, 2005, 07:19:27 AM
I'll be rooting for the NL this year. It'll be bitter sweet watching one former Yankees starter after another take the mound during the series. :cry
Contreras :cry
Clemens :cry
Petite :cry
El Duque :cry :cry

JMK
Oct 20th, 2005, 08:29:04 AM
Come on guy, what could be so bad? You've still got Jaret Wright, Carl Pavano, Al Leiter, Kevin Brown...

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 20th, 2005, 04:57:55 PM
LOL you guys should have never given up on Contreras that was the biggest mistake the Yankees have made in recent years. As for the series, I am thinking the White Sox will win in 5 or 6 right now.

JMK
Oct 20th, 2005, 05:32:12 PM
I think it goes 6 minimum, and could be the lowest scoring WS ever.

Jedieb
Oct 20th, 2005, 08:31:33 PM
Originally posted by JMK
Come on guy, what could be so bad? You've still got Jaret Wright, Carl Pavano, Al Leiter, Kevin Brown...
:lol
Good one, that left a mark!

Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
LOL you guys should have never given up on Contreras that was the biggest mistake the Yankees have made in recent years. As for the series, I am thinking the White Sox will win in 5 or 6 right now.

The thing is, I think Contreras neeeded to get out of NY in order to suceed in the MLB. I think Ozzie G. was the perfect manager for him. You really can't underestimate how beneficial it was to Contreras to have a manager that speaks Spanish. You can have all the translators you want, but when your manager can sit down next to you and talk to you in the same language your Dad did, it can make a huge difference. Plus, in Chicago he didn't have the NY media pouring over every move he made.

It's going to be a small ball WS. Fun for the whole family!

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 20th, 2005, 09:08:54 PM
True the media killed him in New York.

Lance Casey
Oct 21st, 2005, 09:27:16 PM
He is a good pitcher, but the pressure of New York got to him. I'm not really wishing that he styed with the yanks when he wouldn't have been this good with them. Right now we've got a couple of young guys (relatively) in Chacon, Wang, Small, Wright(who i think could be good out of the bullpen, with Mussina being our ace. I have no idea how Johnson fits into anything.

jjwr
Oct 23rd, 2005, 08:44:55 PM
Astro's just got stunned by a Konerko Grand Slam in the 7th. A gem by Pettite but not quite enough.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 23rd, 2005, 08:47:30 PM
Yeah he crushed that pitch, first pitch, incredible.

jjwr
Oct 23rd, 2005, 09:17:44 PM
Astro's just tied it in the 9th, incredible slide to avoid that tag. In theory that slide right there could save the Astro's in this series. Going down 2-0 in the series would be disastrous, now they have a chance if they can shut down the Sox offense here on out.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 23rd, 2005, 09:27:29 PM
Game over, great game.

jjwr
Oct 23rd, 2005, 09:28:22 PM
Posednik walks off, wow.

This is starting to look like the Red Sox last year, just on a absolute roll and everything going their way.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 23rd, 2005, 09:29:09 PM
Yeah that is my opinion right now. I wouldn't be shocked to see them win both games in Houston and go for a 4 game sweep. Although, right now I am not sure if they can beat Oswalt.