PDA

View Full Version : The dreaded Writers Block

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 22nd, 2005, 02:02:34 PM
How do you get over creative hurdles and road blocks? :( I've tried to the standard "take some time out" approach and I just can't seem to get back into the swing of writing regularly - or even irregularly. My muse seems to have finished.

Morgan Evanar
Sep 22nd, 2005, 02:25:25 PM
Hit your muse with a hammer. Even wimpering is better than nothing.

I generally read a book and let my mind soak whatever it is. I pull creative inspiration really easily, though :|

Droo
Sep 22nd, 2005, 02:36:34 PM
They say write what you know. Take a notebook or journal and write about not being able to write. That will get you cooking.

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 22nd, 2005, 03:20:04 PM
Or just post to Bloodsport. Even a sentance post can help.

Sometimes I dry up because I simply have no idea what to write to continue a story along - usually if I force out a 'filler' two or three sentance post it will either start the creative juices flowing or the reply to my post will help me get more ideas on what to do.

Reading a book and soaking in someone else's creativity can help too.

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 22nd, 2005, 03:59:12 PM
I've read quite a few books lately, though they have been books that I have to read for my university course. Pride and Prejudice and such. Not exactly filling my head with ideas :x

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 22nd, 2005, 04:17:02 PM
OOOOO

I had a book I wanted to reccomend to you anyway, or a series. The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher. Book 2 is called Fool Moon and it is CHOCK FULL of werewolfy things. You'd love it.

Salem Ave
Sep 22nd, 2005, 04:25:12 PM
Oooh nice :) I will have to check those out.

You know, I have only ever read one book about werewolves, and I bet you can guess which one that is :p Now that made me want to write. I was on holiday when I finished reading it and can remember sitting by the pool, thinking up potential dialouge in my head ^_^; Ah. I'm so sad.

Wyl Staedtler
Sep 22nd, 2005, 04:25:38 PM
From "A Manual of Writer's Tricks" by David L. Carroll.

"Tricks for working through writer's block:

Sometimes the words don't come, those demon words. Zip. No matter how hard you push, the boulder that seals your creativity continues to roll back, Sisyphus-like. Every writer has remedies for this perennial dilemma. My own, several of which I learned from other writers, include diversion, relazation, and physical activity.

Let's go over them one at a time:

1. Diversion Just stop. Simple as that. Remove yourself; keep a safe distance from the typewriter for a while (preferably doing something non-cerebral); then return when your mind has had time to rest and debug itself. This trick works, but only if you fully comply. No halfhearted pauses, please. No two-minute trips to the refrigerator, no five-minute phone conversations. Diversion means, well, diversion. Go outside and walk at least several blocks or several miles. Watch TV for an hour or two. Go shopping. Take a swim, visit a friend, see a movie, have a nap, knit a sweater, play a round of Ping-Pong, read a mystery novel, build some shelves, cook a gourmet meal. By now your mind will present new materials uncoaxed. All it needed was time to recharge.

2. Relaxation Stop pushing against writer's block and try an easier way around: relax.

There are, of course, innumerable ways to go about this, from afternoon naps to neuro-linguistic programming. Some writers sit comfortably and listen to good music until their bodies feel refreshed. Some walk, trying to blank their mind of extraneous thoughts. Others meditate or do breathing exercises or listen to relaxation tapes or practice tension-release relaxation systems (lie flat on the floor and alternately tighten and relax the muscles in your face, neck, shoulders, chest, arms, stomach, back, and legs). Innumberable books exist on the subject of relaxation, and most are filled with excellent techniques. Try them.

3. Physical activity For me this last remedy is the most effective. I try not to let a day go by without getting in at least some physical exertion. It chases away cobwebs, gets blood flowing, and has a corresponding effect on my creative energies.

What exercise is best? It depends on your tastes. Check with your doctor first, of course, then job, play a sport, take a yoga class, do aerobics, calisthenics, martial arts, rapid walking, gumnastics, dance, weight lifting, tennis, fencing, swimming, whatever turns you on. The body and the mind are inextricably linked: What helps one will help the other.

Other temporary but nonetheless effective aids to unblocking the inventive mind include:

-Taking a shower
-Drinking a cup of tea or coffee
-Splashing cold water on your face, ears, and neck; placing a cold washcloth on top of your head
-Taking a ten-minute walk
-Opening the encyclopedia to any page and reading
-Browsing in a store
-Listening to a book on tape
-Doing a few minutes of physical work around the house or apartment
-Standing by a window and breathing deeply
-Working at a hobby project
-Reading the work of a favorite writer for ten minutes, returning to your writing with his or her words fresh in your mind
-Standing, stretching, touching your toes, reaching for the ceiling, rotating your head and neck, and (health permitting) jogging in place.

Then go back to work."

Dunno if it works or not, because I never remember I have this book until after I'm over the block. :\

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 22nd, 2005, 05:26:50 PM
Originally posted by Salem Ave
Oooh nice :) I will have to check those out.

You know, I have only ever read one book about werewolves, and I bet you can guess which one that is :p Now that made me want to write. I was on holiday when I finished reading it and can remember sitting by the pool, thinking up potential dialouge in my head ^_^; Ah. I'm so sad.

Really these books are fantastic. I've read the first two, and the last one. Harry Dresden is the only practicing professional wizard in Chicago, and you'll have to read the rest. :)

Sudoku
Sep 22nd, 2005, 10:39:39 PM
I usually listen to music, or write something else. I have about 10-15 full journals, so yeah. Music usually helps me think of stuff. Plus, working where I just sit and daydream is helpful as well.

Dasquian Belargic
Sep 23rd, 2005, 01:07:17 PM
I just bought some food for thought... though I do need a couple of these books for school >_<

http://sw-fans.net/forum/attachment.php?s=&postid=736055

Mortie
Sep 23rd, 2005, 03:39:04 PM
Yay! I love Nietzsche, he's so fun!

Morgan Evanar
Sep 23rd, 2005, 06:01:14 PM
If by fun you mean a big jerk.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Sep 23rd, 2005, 07:13:29 PM
Music helps a great deal. I have a rather large soundtrack collection - whether on cd or mp3, and many times over sometimes just listening to them is enough to spark the imagination.

Sanis Prent
Sep 23rd, 2005, 09:41:42 PM
For me, these things are usually good. This goes for drawing and writing, as I think both are hand in hand.

1. Cutting grass. I seem to have my best ideas when I'm out mowing the yard. It's such a monotonous exercise that I think the mind has nothing to do except wander to great places.

2. Driving to work. Same theory. It's inevitable to rev your imagination up.

3. Buy a new DVD. Even if it doesn't directly inspire you, it can be a good diversion. Or maybe you see something you were thinking of played out in a film and you decide you don't like it. Same with reading a book really. Don't feel bad about riding some coattails of writers or filmmakers. If history teaches us anything, there are very few truly original ideas. Get over yourself ;)

4. Music, music, MUSIC!!! This is probably the biggest deal for me. I derive an incredible amount of influence from the music I listen to. Soundtracks are obviously the best choice, but regular music does nicely as well. Case in point - I picked up Disturbed's new album "Ten Thousand Fists" yesterday, and for just about every single track on that CD, I could think of something interesting to write or draw. That being said, I've yet to find a track by Disturbed that I don't like.

5. Drink, but don't get drunk. Eat, but don't get full. Both of these are good to get you fueled in moderation, but both will give you a bad case of malaise if you overdo it.