PDA

View Full Version : HBO's "Rome"

Shawn
Sep 8th, 2005, 06:59:15 PM
Is anyone else watching this? I've caught the first 2 episodes, and I'm surprised to find myself really getting into it.

Maybe it's just because I also started re-reading "A Game of Thrones" recently, but I'm definitely getting a similar vibe from Rome. If you like GRRM's books, it may be worth checking out at least the first episode.

Jedieb
Sep 8th, 2005, 07:04:46 PM
HBO has an amazing track record when it comes to drama series. I haven't watched much of Deadwood or Rome, but they've gotten a lot of positive buzz. I just saw the finale for Six Feet Under and it was pretty good. I may try to catch a few episodes of Rome and it wouldn't be surprised if they were good.

Shawn
Sep 8th, 2005, 09:26:38 PM
The BBC is about to broadcast the most violent and sexually explicit programme ever to be shown on British television - and at £58 million for 12 episodes it is also the most expensive.

Rome, a drama set in the dying days of the Roman Empire, contains full frontal male and female nudity and depictions of violent sex.

The Sunday Telegraph has seen the first six episodes of the blood-soaked drama - a co-production between the corporation and the American broadcaster HBO - which contains nudity within its opening minutes.

The show, which premieres in America next Sunday and hits BBC2 screens in the autumn, is far more explicit than I Claudius, the broadcaster's adaptation of the Robert Graves novel, which caused a sensation when it was released in 1976.

The new series opens in 52BC, 400 years after the founding of the Roman Republic, when, according to the producer, Rome's foundations are "crumbling because of corruption" and "excess".From what I've seen so far, this is the depiction of Rome that most movies and TV shows have been afraid to do: Extremely violent, bloody, and sexually depraved. This is Rome at its most decadant.

Also, the sheer scope of the series is amazing. I originally became interested in it because I caught the making-of documentary on it while flipping through channels. It was filmed almost entirely on-set, with blue-screens being almost non-existent. The set covers 5 acres, with alleyways, a marketplace, and everything else. It's like a small town. And since it's set close to 500 years into the game, everything has great signs of wear and disuse.

I'm not sure how much of a mass-appeal it will have, though. I find myself liking shows heavy on the politics and intrigue lately.

Lance Casey
Sep 8th, 2005, 09:57:11 PM
Since I watch Entourage, I had seen the ads for it and have been waiting for it to start for awhile and so far it was great. The end of ep 2 was a surprise. Plus, a mistake by comcast has put the thrid episode out OnDemand, so I have seen it before it airs this sunday. If you like the show, don't miss this episode.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 8th, 2005, 10:58:41 PM
I am a big fan of roman history and I loved the first two episodes. I like how it is set up showing the political intrigue at the time and not shy about showing the true nature of Roman Civilization. The Romans were very violent and sex dominant their culture and the show shows that. I also like the potrayal of young Octavius the future first emperor of the Roman Empire. There was this crappy ABC miniseries this past summer and the potrayal of Octavius was horrible, this one makes him look cunning and brave which is right on with his portrayal. Of course I also like dealing with the two ficitional roman soliders it fits in nice with the rest of the story.

Shawn
Sep 8th, 2005, 11:41:58 PM
Actually, those soldiers were mentioned in Ceaser's memoirs. There just wasn't much said about them, so most of their actions will be fictional.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 9th, 2005, 09:15:31 AM
Cool I didn't realize that at all that is a neat fact.

Shawn
Nov 14th, 2005, 07:32:57 PM
This show has just been getting better and better with each episode. Last nights episode, "The Spoils", was one of my favorite episode of anything ever. It fully cemented my intention to buy the DVD set whenever it gets released. I'm just sad that we'll probably have to wait until 2007 for the second season. :(

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 15th, 2005, 06:30:57 PM
Yeah that would suck, would the actor playing Octavius be old enough anymore? I am just curious I figure they have to recast him.

Shawn
Nov 15th, 2005, 07:27:45 PM
I'm not sure. Technically, they should probably recast him. But I don't think anyone else could handle the character as well as he has, so I think they'll just stick with him and maybe try to make him look a bit older.

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 15th, 2005, 07:32:00 PM
Its going to be tough with that when they reach the point when he took on Anthony, though I am not sure how old he was. I know he didn't become emperor until his early to mid 30's.

Atreyu
Nov 17th, 2005, 11:30:14 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
Its going to be tough with that when they reach the point when he took on Anthony, though I am not sure how old he was. I know he didn't become emperor until his early to mid 30's.
He was 33 when he defeated Antony. A lot of Octavian's early triumphs came when he was young - he was only 19 when he first marched on Rome and forced the Senate to make him consul.

So yeah, all-round a fairly young chap. Funnily enough a lot of succesful leaders were in ancient times (eg. Alexander). Scipio Africanus was barely 30 (if that) when he won the 2nd Punic War for Rome. Even Pompey (who I believe is portrayed in the series - I haven't seen it myself) was only in his 20s when he refused to disband his legions and forced Sulla and the senate to give him the title 'Magnus'. :)

Jedi Master Carr
Nov 17th, 2005, 11:45:18 PM
Yeah most are realtively young, I think Hannibal might have been in his 20's or early 30 when he marched on Rome. Not sure if the Kid can keep playing the part though, he is 16 I think but it will be tough, to make him look 10 years older.

Atreyu
Nov 18th, 2005, 12:03:36 AM
I've just looked at IMDb - he'snearly 17. Yeah, I didn't know he was THAT young (especially since Hollywood tends to cast young actors in roles 5-10 yrs below their real age). I suppose it depends on how far they progress with the series.

Hopefully it will screen in Oz, but maybe not. Sopranos was never a hit down here (commercial TV that is) and Deadwood still hasn't show its face either (though the DVD set is out I think)..