PDA

View Full Version : Rocky Balboa

jjwr
Sep 6th, 2005, 08:27:17 PM
Very interesting...not a bad read at all

http://www.joblo.com/index.php?id=6783

Assuming this does happen I figure this should be spoilered.

The death of Adrian makes sense, to be fair she really didn't like him boxing so no way you could envision him fighting again at his age with her around, a bit of extra motivation as well.

Some of the dialogue between him and his sone doesn't quite seem right.

Jedieb
Sep 7th, 2005, 11:20:32 AM
I can't even bring myself to read that. V was bad enough, Rocky VI: The George Foreman Story simply doesn't interest me. A movie showing Stallone selling barbeque grills for the first hour will probably be more entertaining then the eventual crapfest that this film will surely be.

Darth McBain
Sep 8th, 2005, 10:42:47 AM
I haven't read this yet, but this is just a bad idea. I agree with EB - 5 stunk bad, why prolong the agony. Admittedly, the first one is a great movie. Two was alright, still worthy. Three was certainly fun, but it really started going downhill there. Four had its moments, but they were few and far between. Five just reeked. I can't see another one being good at all...

"Next up - Pongo's review of Rocky 5... Thousand..."

Jedieb
Sep 8th, 2005, 10:53:31 AM
"I'm surrounded by as&^&%^%!!!"

JMK
Sep 8th, 2005, 12:11:21 PM
How many <smallfont color={hovercolor}>-Censored-</smallfont>#@!*$ do we have on this forum anyhow?

Jedieb
Sep 8th, 2005, 07:11:14 PM
Originally posted by JMK
How many <smallfont color=#FF0000>-Censored-</smallfont>#@!*$ do we have on this forum anyhow?
:lol

"That us, sir. As&^%$#, Major As&^*^s."

Darth McBain
Sep 8th, 2005, 09:44:31 PM
Would that make me Major As&^%&^ ? :lol

Darth McBain
Jul 6th, 2006, 09:15:43 AM
Well I was somehow hoping this would die before production, but it looks like it's gonna happen - Rocky 6 is upon us (as Sly turns 60)...

http://www.worstpreviews.com/review.php?id=109

http://www.worstpreviews.com/media.php?id=109&place=trailer

Why Sly?!?!? Why???

JMK
Jul 6th, 2006, 09:48:42 AM
Why? Cash grab, that's why. As poor as this movie is shaping up to be morbid curiosity will still earn him a few million bucks.

Darth McBain
Jul 6th, 2006, 10:51:59 AM
Originally posted by JMK
Why? Cash grab, that's why.

Well yeah - it was kind of a rhetorical question... :) I think you characterized it well - "morbid curiosity" is what's going to make people go see this...

sirdizzy
Jul 6th, 2006, 11:58:43 AM
you also know hes doing a rambo 4 right

JMK
Jul 6th, 2006, 12:21:42 PM
Oh yeah, I'm well aware of that. I'm actually curious to see how he's going to deal with that one.

Oriadin
Jul 7th, 2006, 03:08:03 AM
Originally posted by JMK
Why? Cash grab, that's why. As poor as this movie is shaping up to be morbid curiosity will still earn him a few million bucks.

I dont think thats the reason why. Sly has always said that the character of Rocky is a way for him to write about whats going on in his life at the moment. I think Rocky has a particular closeness to him and its hard to let that go. Im a massive fan of the series and I am worried about how this film is going to go, but at the same time, you never know. I did like the short teaser trailer that came out.

Sanis Prent
Jul 8th, 2006, 01:24:21 AM
I saw the teaser also. I have to say, I'm pretty interested in seeing this movie now.

I just wish it would be a 2 hour training montage. I could watch that go on forever, and it would just whip me into a frenzy.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 8th, 2006, 02:07:21 AM
I saw the teaser - Sly looked old, slow, and old. Did I mention old? I wouldn't go see it. But then, I've never seen the other Rocky movies either.

Sanis Prent
Jul 8th, 2006, 03:16:57 AM
Originally posted by Lilaena De'VilleBut then, I've never seen the other Rocky movies either.

You bum! :mad

Yog
Jul 8th, 2006, 04:10:39 AM
I saw the teaser also. I have to say, I'm pretty interested in seeing this movie now

You mean this teaser? :p
http://www.spoil-sports.com/RockyVI.htm

Sanis Prent
Jul 8th, 2006, 10:05:37 AM
Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
I saw the teaser - Sly looked old, slow, and old. Did I mention old? I wouldn't go see it. But then, I've never seen the other Rocky movies either.

I just woke up, and this post is still making me mad :mad

Sanis Prent
Jul 8th, 2006, 10:07:22 AM
Originally posted by Master Yoghurt
You mean this teaser? :p
http://www.spoil-sports.com/RockyVI.htm

All humor aside, people really do seem to forget that the original was a best picture film, and that 2, 3, and 4 were all great as well. I have enough faith in them being able to shake off the anomaly of 5.

CMJ
Jul 8th, 2006, 11:12:26 AM
I never cared much for the Rocky series. Rocky itself is pretty storirring, but even it isn't that great IMHO. One of the weaker BP winners to me.

That said, apparently this one is the strongest in the series since the 1976 one. At least that's what I've been led to believe.

Jedieb
Jul 8th, 2006, 09:17:37 PM
I loved Rocky II. The opening sequence that recaps the end of the first film was a great way to start the film. That score was amazing. But once Mr. T hit the screen it was all downhill. I think a Rambo 4 is more promising than a Rocky VI.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 8th, 2006, 10:48:46 PM
You can't be mad at me simply because I'm uninformed!

Sanis Prent
Jul 8th, 2006, 11:02:23 PM
Originally posted by Jedieb
I loved Rocky II. The opening sequence that recaps the end of the first film was a great way to start the film. That score was amazing. But once Mr. T hit the screen it was all downhill. I think a Rambo 4 is more promising than a Rocky VI.

Rocky II is probably my favorite of the set, with the original close behind, and glowing honorable mention to IV. III was....okay.

Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
You can't be mad at me simply because I'm uninformed!

YOU BUM

Jedieb
Jul 11th, 2006, 07:08:43 PM
I saw the trailer for this and I actually think it may not be a total train wreck. It looks like it will be better than the disaster Rocky V was. (Then again, what wouldn't?) I was really surprised by it. If just looks like there may be some nice Rocky & Paulie scenes. I won't see it in theaters, but I may rent it one day.

Oriadin
Jul 12th, 2006, 02:46:21 AM
Rocky I is easily my favorite. Followed closely by II. III and IV were both pretty good. VI was strange because I hated it when I first saw it, but the more I watch it, the more I like it.

Byl Laprovik
Jul 12th, 2006, 07:12:20 AM
Thats the way everybody is with IV. I couldn't stand it at first, but there's something so incredibly farfetched about it that it really grows on you.

Oriadin
Jul 29th, 2006, 01:25:45 PM
There is a new trailer for Rocky VI right here http://www.apple.com/trailers/mgm/rockybalboa/trailer1/

Im incredibly impressed... I had my doubts about the movie, but after watching this im just incredibly excited. Im a huge fan of the series and I dont want to build my hopes up too much but this looks a lot better than id hoped. Im glad they are using some good humor about his age!

jediSamson
Jul 29th, 2006, 02:38:03 PM
OMG!!!!OMG!!!!OMG!!!!!!
teared up watching that trailer!!!!!

All I can say is, as long as it's half as good as 4, I'll be a happy,happy man!!!!!!!!!

Darth McBain
Jul 29th, 2006, 03:31:57 PM
Well, I have to admit the trailer looked pretty good, but I've seen too many trailers that looked great for movies that really sucked. Who knows - maybe it will be pretty good, but I still don't have very high hopes for this.

jediSamson
Jul 29th, 2006, 03:50:14 PM
Originally posted by Darth McBain
Well, I have to admit the trailer looked pretty good, but I've seen too many trailers that looked great for movies that really sucked. Who knows - maybe it will be pretty good, but I still don't have very high hopes for this. to be honest, I dont either..but here is to Hopong for the best!!! you know, it's movies like this that make us old geezers feel good about ourselves:p and make us think we can still do things we could when we were young :rollin

but I must say, I watched the trailer like 6 times in a row and love every second of it, other than.......yes, wish the other boxer was bigger and more intimitading,looks more like a light heavyweight to me :\

Really wanna know if Sly really cleaned that 315 or if it was fake wieghts ?

Sanis Prent
Jul 29th, 2006, 04:13:56 PM
I'm betting he really cleaned it. Sly might be old, but he's kept in shape.

jediSamson
Jul 29th, 2006, 05:16:00 PM
I'm betting he did too, hope when I'm 40 I'm still in half the shape this cat's in...all I can say is at 60 he looks awesome!!!!heck, most of the guys I see walking around now adays would love to have his bod in their 20's and 30's ..awesome just awesome.

Ebs: its three with mr.t ;)

Oriadin
Jul 30th, 2006, 05:56:52 PM
Originally posted by Darth McBain
Well, I have to admit the trailer looked pretty good, but I've seen too many trailers that looked great for movies that really sucked. Who knows - maybe it will be pretty good, but I still don't have very high hopes for this.

I didnt have high hopes for this, I was really worried because I love the films so much but after seeing the film, its reasured a lot of my fears. Im simply looking forward to this. Interesting timing of the movie. Films that come out around Christmas time are usually the ones going for oscars. Be interesting to know if they think they are in with a shot of something.

Byl Laprovik
Dec 5th, 2006, 10:56:40 PM
http://playlist.yahoo.com/makeplaylist.dll?id=1521857&sdm=web&qtw=640&qth=400

OH GOD I CANNOT WAIT NOW!!!

This looks freakin awesome.

Dragon
Dec 6th, 2006, 12:41:06 AM
I'm excited about it. If nothing else, it means I'll get to see a Rocky movie in the theater. :)

And on that note, that trailer is pretty sweet.

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 6th, 2006, 05:15:12 PM
That was a pretty good trailer. :D

jjwr
Dec 7th, 2006, 07:43:20 AM
I do like the trailer and love the Rocky films but no way will I see this in the theatre.

I still watch Rocky IV every time its on, that movie easily has the best training sequences and corresponding music.

Park Kraken
Dec 7th, 2006, 09:21:21 PM
Oh yeah, I'm well aware of that. I'm actually curious to see how he's going to deal with that one.

Probably sitting behind a tripod mounted machine gun, and wheel around the battlefield with his rocket armed automated wheel chair.

I've seen most of the Rocky movies and probably all of the Rambo movies. The Rocky one that sticks to me is the Russian one. Espically after the recent Family guy parody.

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 20th, 2006, 09:43:12 PM
This movie was excellent. :thumbup:thumbup I loved it wholeheartedly. :D

Byl Laprovik
Dec 21st, 2006, 03:07:41 PM
I'm going in an hour :D

Byl Laprovik
Dec 21st, 2006, 07:44:59 PM
Wow. This was great. Amazing. A fantastic bookend to the original Rocky. So many things take you back to 1976 in this movie, and it's such a character driven story. My heart leaps out of my chest for that punch-drunk brute.

That whole speech to his son about life beating you harder than any man, and it ain't about how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward had tears in my eyes.

Yog
Dec 24th, 2006, 05:17:04 AM
I watched it too now. What a terrific movie! Back to the feel of the original rocky movie. Very inspiring. A worthy way to end the series indeed.

What is it with all these great boxing movies in recent years? Million Dollar Baby, Cinderella Man and now Rocky Balboa.

I can warmly recommend this movie to everyone! :)

Anatoly Antropov
Dec 24th, 2006, 11:06:39 PM
i saw the movie as well, i was trying to figure out, did rocky 5 really happen?
i couldn't tell. they failed to mention it at all so i was thinking, was rocky 5 dream?

Byl Laprovik
Dec 25th, 2006, 12:01:29 PM
Rocky V? Where? Never heard of it.

jjwr
Mar 22nd, 2007, 07:59:32 PM
Finally saw this tonight after renting it. Great great movie. Course I just saw it but I'm almost thinking this is my favorite Rocky movie. It wasn't as cheesy as the others but still felt like a Rocky movie.

After round 2 of the fight I loved the music that kicked in. I think that was the same track as in Rocky IV after he survived the initial assault from Drago and they went on into the fight.

Rutabaga
Apr 1st, 2007, 07:53:42 AM
Rocky Balboa was my Netflix rental this week, and I thought it was very, very good. When I heard about a new Rocky movie last year, I thought it was a worthless idea, especially since 4 and 5 were so horrific, they were basically parodies of the original Rocky. That was painful, because I consider the original Rocky to still be one of the best movies ever made, despite my intense dislike of boxing. But because this movie got such surprisingly good reviews, I decided I needed to see it.

Rocky Balboa completely returns the luster and respect to the character of Rocky. It's a movie that's both touching and rousing...I especially liked the return of Little Marie from the first movie, and Rocky's continuing devotion to Adrian. I also liked the ending, since it was so reminiscent of the ending of the first movie. The ultimate decision to the fight was immaterial...what was important was Rocky's moral victory. I watched the alternate ending and it just didn't have the same emotional impact...I'm glad they stuck with the ending they used in the theatrical release.

And it was great to see Milo Ventimiglia without his hair hanging in his eyes :lol.

jjwr
Apr 2nd, 2007, 07:16:53 AM
I forgot to watch the Alternate ending before I returned it, what happened?

Rutabaga
Apr 2nd, 2007, 06:07:24 PM
I probably don't have to spoilerize it, but I'm going to do it anyways just in case since it's still fairly new on DVD... In the alternate ending, Rocky wins the split decision, and Dixon says some kind things about him and makes no excuses for losing, not blaming it on his broken hand or anything like that. It was a little too Cinderella-ish for my tastes, I think what they ended up using was more believable.

jjwr
Apr 2nd, 2007, 08:43:06 PM
I gotta agree, I prefer the ending they went with much better. Its more believable and a better ending IMO.

Darth McBain
May 2nd, 2007, 11:54:46 AM
I finally got a chance to watch this and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. I had zero hopes for this movie, but I thought it actually turned out to be pretty good. I really liked how they changed the look and feel of the fight - it felt like watching a real fight on pay-per-view (at least rounds 1, 2, and 10).

Yog
May 2nd, 2007, 12:07:45 PM
I finally got a chance to watch this and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. I had zero hopes for this movie, but I thought it actually turned out to be pretty good. I really liked how they changed the look and feel of the fight - it felt like watching a real fight on pay-per-view (at least rounds 1, 2, and 10).

Yup, it's a lot better than people think. It's a shame so many missed out on it. Apart from the fight (which was awesome), the drama and personal struggle of Balboa was done really well. When I think of great Rocky movies, I think of this and the original.

jjwr
May 3rd, 2007, 07:00:59 AM
Agreed, this is right up there. For pure entertainment and cheese I still LOVE Rocky 3 and 4 but this one was close to the best of the series.

Jedieb
May 15th, 2007, 01:52:15 PM
Stallone set out to make a bookend to the first Rocky and he succeeded. It was the first Rocky sequel to actually be about the characters. Killing off Adrian was an excellent idea and gave Rocky a kick in the gut that drove much of the movie. Rocky's relationship with his son was pretty good as well. And I LOVED the ending. The DVD has the alternate Rocky II-V style ending and believe, Sly made the right choice.