PDA

View Full Version : NFL Pick 'Em 2005 (Rules and Week 1 thread)

Figrin D'an
Sep 4th, 2005, 11:07:19 AM
Once again, the football season is upon us, and once again, we will have our annual competition to see who is the best at prediciting the outcomes of this season's NFL games. The contest is open to everyone, all you have to do is make you picks each week according the rules laid out in this post. It's easy to do, and it's fun to trash talk when you make your fellow contestants look silly by picking that one-in-a-hundred upset.

If you want to play, please make sure you read and abide by the following rules:

- The Pick 'Em thread for each week will be put up on or about the Wednesday before the coming weekend's slate of games (there are a couple of exceptions to this, which will be made known when those weeks approach). Simply copy and paste the week's schedule to a new post to make your picks. Please make all of your picks for the week in that week's thread. Do not post them ahead of time in another thread. If you are going to be away, and unable to make your picks for a given week, you may send me a PM with your picks before you leave and I will make sure it gets posted.

- Each game will be listed in the following format:

Team A at Team B

The first team is the away team. The second is the home team. To pick the winner, simply place the letter W, enclosed by parenthesis, next to the winner's name.

Examples:

Oakland (W) at New England

or

Oakland at New England (W)

Repeat this for each game in a given week.

- Please make all you picks in ONE POST, unless permission is explicitly given to do otherwise (there will be a couple of weeks in which special conditions will apply, including Week 1). Once your picks are made, you may edit your post and change your picks until kickoff of the first listed game. Once the first game has begun, your picks are considered locked-in. If you edited your post to change a pick, even for a game that has not yet begun, ALL if your picks for that week will be disqualified. The kick off time of the first game will always be listed in the initial post post every week.

- After each week, an updated score tally will be posted, listing every participant's score for that week, as well as overall standings for the season. Please check your scores and make sure they are correct (I am only human, and I do make calculation mistakes from time to time). If you believe your score is incorrect, send me a PM.

- At the end of the contest season (which includes the playoffs), the winner will receive fame, glory, and maybe even a special prize.

- If you have any questions about the contest, or the rules, please PM me. I will answer them as completely as possible.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Week One has a slightly altered schedule from normal NFL weekends, so please pay attention to the listed games when you make your picks. The season kicks off this coming Thursday night (Sept. 8th), with the New England Patriots playing host the the Oakland Raiders. After that, the games follow the typical Sunday format, with Monday Night Football closing out the week.

Because the kickoff game is on Thursday, special rules apply to making your picks. You may either:

a) pick Thursday's game in one post, and all other games in a second post. The Thursday pick would be due by 9PM ET on Thursday. The other picks would be due at 1PM ET on Sunday.

or

b) pick all of the games in one post. In this case, all the games would have to be picked by 9PM ET on Thursday.

The option is up to each of you.

Here are the games for kickoff weekend:

Week 1

Thursday Night

Oakland at New England

Sunday, Early

Tampa Bay at Minnesota
Denver at Miami
Tennessee at Pittsburgh
Chicago at Washington
New Orleans at Carolina
Seattle at Jacksonville
Houston at Buffalo
Cincinnati at Cleveland
NY Jets at Kansas City

Sunday, Late

Green Bay at Detroit
Dallas at San Diego
St. Louis at San Francisco
Arizona at NY Giants

Sunday Night

Indianapolis at Baltimore

Monday Night

Philadelphia at Atlanta

Reminder:
Thursday's pick is due by 9PM ET on Thursday. The rest of the week is due by 1PM ET on Sunday.

Good luck, and have fun. :)

Ryan Pode
Sep 4th, 2005, 12:04:14 PM
Week 1

Thursday Night

Oakland Win at New England

Sunday, Early

Tampa Bay at Minnesota Win
Denver Win at Miami
Tennessee at Pittsburgh Win
Chicago at Washington Win
New Orleans at Carolina Win
Seattle at Jacksonville Win
Houston at Buffalo Win
Cincinnati Win at Cleveland
NY Jets at Kansas City Win

Sunday, Late

Green Bay Win at Detroit
Dallas at San Diego Win
St. Louis Win at San Francisco
Arizona Win at NY Giants

Sunday Night

Indianapolis at Baltimore Win

Monday Night

Philadelphia Win at Atlanta

Lance Casey
Sep 4th, 2005, 05:29:23 PM
Week 1

Thursday Night

Oakland at New England(W)

Sunday, Early

Tampa Bay at Minnesota (W)
Denver(W) at Miami
Tennessee at Pittsburgh(W)
Chicago at Washington(W)
New Orleans at Carolina(W)
Seattle(W) at Jacksonville
Houston(W) at Buffalo
Cincinnati(W) at Cleveland
NY Jets(W) at Kansas City

Sunday, Late

Green Bay(W) at Detroit
Dallas(W) at San Diego
St. Louis(W) at San Francisco
Arizona at NY Giants(W)

Sunday Night

Indianapolis(W) at Baltimore

Monday Night

Philadelphia(W) at Atlanta

Jedieb
Sep 4th, 2005, 05:33:46 PM
Week 1
Thurs.
Oakland at New England WIN
Sun. Early
Tampa Bay at MinnesotaWIN
WINDenver at Miami
Tennessee at Pittsburgh WIN
Chicago at Washington WIN
New Orleans at Carolina WIN
Seattle at Jacksonville WIN
Houston at BuffaloWIN
WIN Cincinnati at Cleveland
NY Jets at Kansas City WIN

Sun. Late
Green Bay at Detroit WIN
Dallas at San Diego WIN
WIN St. Louis at San Francisco
Arizona at NY Giants WIN

Sun. Night
WIN Indianapolis at Baltimore

Mon.
WIN Philadelphia at Atlanta

Jedieb
Sep 4th, 2005, 05:36:09 PM
I'm serving notice, all your butts belong to me!!!!!!!! ESPECIALLY YOU SATAN!! Carr is ending your evil B.O. reign, I will take your NFL crown. This ends now!!!!!!!!!!!!!:crack

Ryan Pode
Sep 4th, 2005, 06:42:31 PM
Then you should pick Baltimore because they will win.

Jedieb
Sep 4th, 2005, 07:30:10 PM
Like they won all their games last year? ;)

I expect the Ravens to be much better this year. They should challenge Pittsburgh for the division. But Boller and company have to prove their in the same league as Pittsburgh, Indy, and New England. They're home and Indy is still favored by a FG. That's exactly what a 9-7 team, that missed the playoffs, with a great defense but a weak QB like Boller should expect against a division champ with a record setting offense.

JMK
Sep 4th, 2005, 07:42:10 PM
Thursday Night

Oakland at New England (w)

Sunday, Early

Tampa Bay at Minnesota (w)
Denver (w) at Miami
Tennessee at Pittsburgh (w)
Chicago (w) at Washington
New Orleans at Carolina (w)
Seattle (w) at Jacksonville
Houston at Buffalo (w)
Cincinnati (w) at Cleveland
NY Jets (w) at Kansas City

Sunday, Late

Green Bay at Detroit (w)
Dallas at San Diego (w)
St. Louis (w) at San Francisco
Arizona at NY Giants (w)

Sunday Night

Indianapolis (w) at Baltimore

Monday Night

Philadelphia at Atlanta (w)

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 4th, 2005, 11:04:06 PM
Thursday Night
New England

Sunday, Early
Minnesota
Denver
Pittsburgh
Washington
New Orleans
Jacksonville
Buffalo
Cleveland
Kansas City

Sunday, Late
Green Bay
Dallas
San Francisco
NY Giants

Sunday Night
Indianapolis

Monday Night
Philadelphia

Ryan Pode
Sep 5th, 2005, 10:14:47 AM
Baltimore D > Indy's passing attack. The Ravens contained them last year. Now they have Samari Rolle as well as a healthy Dale Carter plus a more exotic scheme to attack Manning from. The Raven's running attack can run all over the nimble Colt's front seven. So I'm gonna say Ravens win.

Lamar Starworth
Sep 5th, 2005, 05:43:49 PM
Week 1

Thursday Night

Oakland at New England

Sunday, Early

Tampa Bay at Minnesota
Denver at Miami
Tennessee at Pittsburgh
Chicago at Washington
New Orleans at Carolina
Seattle at Jacksonville
Houston at Buffalo
Cincinnati at Cleveland
NY Jets at Kansas City (worth watching)

Sunday, Late

Green Bay at Detroit
Dallas at San Diego
St. Louis at San Francisco
Arizona at NY Giants

Sunday Night

Indianapolis at Baltimore (worth watching)

Monday Night

Philadelphia at Atlanta (worth watching)

Jedieb
Sep 5th, 2005, 07:34:44 PM
Originally posted by Ryan Pode
Baltimore D > Indy's passing attack. The Ravens contained them last year. Now they have Samari Rolle as well as a healthy Dale Carter plus a more exotic scheme to attack Manning from. The Raven's running attack can run all over the nimble Colt's front seven. So I'm gonna say Ravens win.

You forgot that nimble front seven just got bulked up by Corey Simon. If the Colts finally manage to get past NE this year Simon will be one of the things that finally gets them over the hump. He's going to give Indy some size in the middle and that'll help Freeney create even more havoc at the end. This should be one of the best games of the opening weekend.

Ryan Pode
Sep 5th, 2005, 07:36:08 PM
Corey Simon is overrated. He's good, but not great. He may help them out a bit, but you are going against an O-line that paved the way for 2,066 yards for Jamal Lewis but has gotten better with the addition of Keydrick Vincent.

Figrin D'an
Sep 5th, 2005, 07:45:19 PM
Well, I see that Ryan's consumption of Baltimore kool-aid hasn't diminished any from previous seasons.

The Ravens still have a big problem, described by two simple words:

Kyle Boller.

Defense may win championships, but you can't get to the championship game without a QB who can at least manage your offense and make smart decisions with the football. Even Baltimore fans should know this... remember Trent Dillfer? Veteran QB who, while not spectacular, made good decisions and was able to lead the Raven's offense?

Yeah. 'Nuff said.

jjwr
Sep 6th, 2005, 09:15:15 AM
The Ravens offense will be better than it has been. The biggest problem was Billick wasn't as great a offensive mind as was lead to believe and he was really hamstringing Boller. Boller is most definetly capable but he hasn't been given a chance to prove it.

With their new offensive co-ordinator a healthy Heap and some potentially solid WR additions their offense could be much improved.

As for the Colts, they have greatly improved on defense with the addition of Simon, he really does give them a new dimension they didn't have before. It is no longer strictly a finesse speed unit, they now have some serious power to go with it.

The game is in Baltimore so the Ravens have a chance, sadly not enough of one IMO.

Until proven otherwise the only defense I will consistently pick over the Colts is the Mad Scientist and whatever he decides to trot out that day.

Jedieb
Sep 6th, 2005, 11:36:41 AM
Originally posted by Figrin D'an
Well, I see that Ryan's consumption of Baltimore kool-aid hasn't diminished any from previous seasons.

You have to admit he's a die hard Homer. I'm sure that even after an Indy victory Baltimore will still be the better team; Indy got lucky, Manning isn't that much better than Boller, Deion is still fast, the Ravens defense is still the greatest in history, etc.......

Kale
Sep 6th, 2005, 06:52:06 PM
Week 1

Thursday Night

Oakland at New England Win

Sunday, Early

Tampa Bay at Minnesota Win
Denver Win at Miami
Tennessee at Pittsburgh Win
Chicago at Washington Win
New Orleans at Carolina Win
Seattle at Jacksonville Win
Houston at Buffalo Win
Cincinnati Win at Cleveland
NY Jets Win at Kansas City

Sunday, Late

Green Bay Win at Detroit
Dallas at San Diego Win
St. Louis Win at San Francisco
Arizona at NY Giants Win

Sunday Night

Indianapolis Win at Baltimore

Monday Night

Philadelphia Win at Atlanta

Ryan Pode
Sep 7th, 2005, 07:17:21 AM
Ouch. Manning won't get a chance to call his plays at the line. The Colts are so hated in Baltimore and for the last week all Brian Billick has been saying is scream your head off when the Colts offense is on the field.

Manning is a lot better than Boller, I think Manning is the best QB in the league but now Boller has 4 proven weapons on offense (Jamal Lewis, Chester Taylor, Todd Heap, and Derrick Mason), with what Jim Fassel did to him last season just as a consultant helped him out a lot and now as the cooridinator that should help him out a lot more, especially if they open up the passing game. His deep ball is a bit more accurate than it has been in years past (as evident in the Skins/Ravens game when he had two 30+ yard passes, one was dropped and the other was slightly overthrown). And yes, Dieon Sanders is still fast. He went step for step with Laverneous Coles, one of the fastest in the league.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 7th, 2005, 08:06:05 AM
Thursday Night

Oakland at New England W

Sunday, Early

Tampa Bay at Minnesota W
Denver W at Miami
Tennessee at Pittsburgh W
Chicago at Washington W
New Orleans at Carolina W
Seattle W at Jacksonville
Houston at Buffalo W
Cincinnati W at Cleveland
NY Jets at Kansas City W

Sunday, Late

Green Bay at Detroit W
Dallas W at San Diego
St. Louis W at San Francisco
Arizona at NY Giants W

Sunday Night

Indianapolis W at Baltimore

Monday Night

Philadelphia W at Atlanta

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 7th, 2005, 08:07:21 AM
Also Ryan you are the only one picking Oakland over New England anybody that thinks the Raiders with that awful defense will beat the Pats in NE must be a Raider fan in disguise.

Ryan Pode
Sep 7th, 2005, 08:08:41 AM
I like to live dangerous.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 7th, 2005, 08:09:20 AM
Ok, but be prepared to lose that one :p

JMK
Sep 7th, 2005, 08:10:27 AM
Well I wouldn't hold that against him. I want to pick the Raiders as well, as the Pats are my most hated team, but the Raiders are my #2 most hated team. So I gave the game to the Pats based on homefield advantage. I remember picking a game last year and being the only one to make that pick (maybe it was 2 years ago) so I won't hold that against Ryan, but I don't know if that's the game I'd go out on a limb for.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 7th, 2005, 08:11:41 AM
Well I hate the Raiders more than any other team in all of sports except the Yankees. I would be rooting against them regardless of who they played. Still, looking at their defense it is going to be a long season for them.

JMK
Sep 7th, 2005, 08:14:34 AM
Yeah that's true. They maybe able to score points but they won't be able to prevent points from being scored on them. Did they make any key additions on defense over the off-season? I can't recall any...

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 7th, 2005, 08:15:57 AM
Nope, they actually let go of their best two defensive players and another player a LB I believe is hurt and is out for the season. They signed nobody though, it is the same team, minus three players and with the addition of draft picks.

Ryan Pode
Sep 7th, 2005, 09:53:04 AM
I like to think the Raiders can outscore the patriots.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 7th, 2005, 10:06:45 AM
But there defense is so bad that Brady will pick it a part. Plus I think the Pats defense is good enough to keep them from scoring 30, I think NE wins 35 or 38 to 24.

Jedieb
Sep 7th, 2005, 10:14:06 AM
The Raiders look great on paper but I have to see how that collection of misfits plays together before I believe the hype. They're going back to a 4-3 and Sapp is going back in the middle where he belongs. If he can start commanding double teams again then that defense should improve. Even with that, they're on the road and unproven. They're the definition of a longshot. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see them humiliate the hated Pats on opening night, and I'd love to pick them, but I'm playing to win this year. Which means I'll probably pick the Pats to win at least 14 times this year. :cry

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 7th, 2005, 10:28:38 AM
I hope the Raiders go 0-16 that is how bad I hate them, I like to see Moss have a fight with Collins on national T.V and prove how much of a embarrasment they are to the league. I don't think they even look good on paper, on offense sure but there defense looks terrible. On paper they should finish dead last on defense. Sapp is just old he can't get to the QB now.

Ryan Pode
Sep 7th, 2005, 10:42:07 AM
I think the Raiders will win it 35-27.

Nathanial K'cansce
Sep 7th, 2005, 04:43:14 PM
New England

Minnesota
Denver
Pittsburgh
Washington
Carolina
Jacksonville
Buffalo
Cincinnati
NY Jets

Green Bay
San Diego
St. Louis
Arizona

Indianapolis

Philadelphia

Yog
Sep 8th, 2005, 07:17:27 AM
I'm serving notice, all your butts belong to me!!!!!!!! ESPECIALLY YOU SATAN!! Carr is ending your evil B.O. reign, I will take your NFL crown. This ends now!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not in a million years! You have only begun to see my voodoo powers! :evil

Week 1

Thursday Night

Oakland at New England (W) - Oh, how I hate the patriots. I hate dynasties. Oakland could have a well improved offense. But lets not kid ourselves thinking Oakland can do this. Dillon runs them down. At least I have Dillon on my fantasy team now so I wont have to hate them quite as much.

Sunday, Early

Tampa Bay at Minnesota (W) - Burleson finds the redzone, Culpepper throws for 350 yards and 4TD
Denver (W) at Miami - I would love to think Dolphins improved somewhat, but I doubt it would be enough.
Tennessee at Pittsburgh (W) - steam engine train running game and brick wall defense
Chicago at Washington (W) - homefield advantage
New Orleans at Carolina (W) - Panthers are going to be strong this year
Seattle (W) at Jacksonville - Seattle will surprise some people this year
Houston at Buffalo (W) - Houston will have a hard time breaking though the defense. I believe Buffalo still got a strong offense.
Cincinnati (W) at Cleveland - Cleveland will be broken down by Bengals lethal throwing game
NY Jets at Kansas City (W) - Priest Holmes goes nuts with 3 TDs and 150yards. Expect the effects of whatever weed they were smoking in preseason to wear off in week one.

Sunday, Late

Green Bay at Detroit (W) - I felt tempted to flip a coin here
Dallas at San Diego (W) - see above
St. Louis (W) at San Francisco - 49s look stronger than last year (like that was hard..), but will it be enough?
Arizona at NY Giants (W) - Giants should be strong at home. Tiki Barber will do the job.. but what about Eli Manning? He should be 'ok', I think.

Sunday Night

Indianapolis (W) at Baltimore - there is no defense that can stop Manning except Patriots. And I am not even sure about Patriots defense this year. On the other hand, Colts looked terrible in the preseason games..

Monday Night

Philadelphia (W) at Atlanta - Atlanta is strong at home, but Eagles is the superior team.

jjwr
Sep 8th, 2005, 08:26:21 AM
Raiders will score on the Pats tonight, their WR core is too good. The Pats DB's will be much improved over last years ensamble cast but your going to see a few TD's from the Raiders passing game. Not sure about the running game, it really depends on how quickly the Linebackers get into a groove.

As for the Pats offense, these guys could be scary. Dillon will shred this defense at will, Faulk will slash it and a healthy Deion Branch will have a break out year. Keep an eye on Ben Watson, Pats 2nd year TE, this guy could be special.

Pats 38 Raiders 21

jjwr
Sep 8th, 2005, 08:27:28 AM
Thursday Night

Oakland at New England(W)

Sunday, Early

Denver(W) at Miami
Tennessee at Pittsburgh(W)
Chicago at Washington(W)
New Orleans at Carolina(W)
Seattle at Jacksonville(W)
Houston at Buffalo(W)
Cincinnati(W) at Cleveland
NY Jets at Kansas City(W)

Sunday, Late

Green Bay at Detroit(W)
Dallas at San Diego(W)
St. Louis(W) at San Francisco
Arizona(W) at NY Giants

Sunday Night

Indianapolis(W) at Baltimore

Monday Night

Philadelphia(W) at Atlanta

Ryan Pode
Sep 8th, 2005, 09:09:04 AM
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/8816732/2

Pete Prisco basically saying the Raiders will win the superbowl. Sorry, but even I'll admit they don't have the defensive talent to do it. It's pretty much saying KC will go deep because they can shootout the opposing team... what a moron and being paid to do it.

JMK
Sep 8th, 2005, 10:31:19 AM
Well this is a strange year for predicting. Anyone not picking the Pats is doing so only to not be redundant. Same with everyone here. No one aside from Patriot fans take the Patriots to win it all. If everyone predicted the Pats to win, nobody would get their columns read.

Jedieb
Sep 8th, 2005, 10:48:47 AM
Offensive cooridinator, defensive cooridinator, and Bruschi; aren't each of these guys at least worth a point? If they are then that's why the Pats won't repeat. Or just out of spite, they'll win another Superbowl by 3 points. Ughh.

Raiders 17
Pats 28

I don't really know what to expect tonight. I'm just jacked that the season is finally here. This is going to be an amazing 5 day sportsfest.
Thurs.
Raiders V. Pats
Fri.
Sox V. Yanks (on ESPN)
Sat.
College Football
Sox V. Yanks
Sun.
NFL Week 1
Sox V. Yanks
Mon.
2 NFL Football games.
:cool

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 8th, 2005, 11:04:58 AM
Prisco is a moron, I can't remember who exactly he picked last year but that team didn't even make the playoffs as I remember, he is the worst expert out there. I generally avoid his columns.

jjwr
Sep 8th, 2005, 12:06:04 PM
Yeah he's typically pretty stupid, on occasion he'll have some smart comments but very rarely.

The Pats will have a tough road but considering what they have done I'm not doubting them until they are eliminated. The # of injuries they fought through the past 2 years to go a combined 34-4 is just mind boggling. They had Hank Poteat, a street free agent who was in college play a lot of downs against the freaking Colts in the playoffs and won soundly.

Bruschi's loss will hurt but its not like he left the team as a FA, he is constantly at Gillette, sits in on meetings, works out with the team, he will still have a impact just not on the field.

The Co-ordinators will be the real key, Crennel is very good but Mangini will be a good replacement. The Offense could be the problem, I'm really curious to see how they come out and what they end up doing.

Figrin D'an
Sep 8th, 2005, 04:17:48 PM
Thursday Night

Oakland at New England (W)

Sunday, Early

Denver (W) at Miami
Tennessee at Pittsburgh (W)
Chicago (W) at Washington
New Orleans at Carolina (W)
Seattle at Jacksonville (W)
Houston at Buffalo (W)
Cincinnati (W) at Cleveland
NY Jets (W) at Kansas City

Sunday, Late

Green Bay (W) at Detroit
Dallas at San Diego (W)
St. Louis (W) at San Francisco
Arizona (W) at NY Giants

Sunday Night

Indianapolis (W) at Baltimore

Monday Night

Philadelphia at Atlanta (W)

jjwr
Sep 8th, 2005, 07:23:26 PM
Pats D got shredded that first drive, the 2nd looked bad as the guys were wide open play after play.

On the bright side they are moving the ball pretty well and with the exception of a few Brady overthrows they're not doing too badly. The Raiders run defense has been pretty stout so far.

Jedieb
Sep 8th, 2005, 08:06:36 PM
Holy crap, Moss really is a freak. He made Harrison look like a chump with that miss. I still expect the Pats to win, but we've seen glimpses of what the Raiders are going to be able to do on offense this year. Their defense still looks like crap. Brady has been throwing on them at will.

jjwr
Sep 8th, 2005, 08:08:37 PM
Agreed, you can't single up Moss like that and then have the DB fall down and expect good things to happen.

Figrin D'an
Sep 8th, 2005, 08:12:35 PM
This game has a 35-28 type of final score written all over it.

Both teams can throw on the opposing defense. Neither can run the ball tremendously well against the other.

Good stats night for those who have either Brady or Collins in fantasy league.

Ryan Pode
Sep 8th, 2005, 08:13:00 PM
John Madden needs to retire.

Jedieb
Sep 8th, 2005, 08:20:41 PM
He sounds just as Maddenlike as he ever has. I've counted at least 5 "booms!" and multiple Madden cliches. Same as it ever was.

Man, that Raiders D looks weak. Last year they last in points I believe and it looks like they're going to give up 30+ tonight.

jjwr
Sep 8th, 2005, 08:23:53 PM
When Brady is on pace for a 400yd game then you know your D is weak. He's a good QB but has never been a big yardage QB, as wide open as the receivers are though its hard for him not to be.

If Pats can score again before the half and then at the start of teh 2nd half they can have a good shot at putting it away early.

Ryan Pode
Sep 8th, 2005, 08:24:21 PM
It's getting worse. Really "Corey Dillion is a running back" and then the comment on how the patriots have some good players. Ugh. Then the hotdog and touchdown comment. ARGH!!

JMK
Sep 8th, 2005, 08:42:34 PM
Reminds me of the time he made the brilliant observation that a secret to a good QB is having a strong O-Line. Thanks for that John. I'll never forget that one now that you've made it so clear.

jjwr
Sep 8th, 2005, 09:12:00 PM
Dillon is getting killed this game, he's my main guy on my other fantasy team too. I don't think he had a single game last year this bad, he's just looking slow and there is always a guy wherever he goes.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 8th, 2005, 10:37:33 PM
Still he scored 2 TDs can't complain there. Honestly the Raiders played horrible in the second half. Collins looked pathetic. Although, part of that fact belongs to the Pats D. Then the pentalies they had 15 I think that is horrible, no discipline.

Ryan Pode
Sep 8th, 2005, 10:42:48 PM
Yeah. Penalties + Collins kill them. I don't think the Patriots were as dominating as they could have been. Last year against a shoddy defense they would have torn them up (see Rams) and they can shut down great offenses (see Indy). Guess we'll see how effected they truly are in the next 5 weeks.

At Carolina
At Pitt
San Diego
At Atlanta
At Denver

At least they don't have to fly to San Diego.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 8th, 2005, 11:00:17 PM
Well Carolina doesn't have a very good offense so I think they will win that game. Pittsburgh and San Diego we won't know about them much until their first games. Were they flukes last year? I have a feeling San Diego will be not sure about Pittsburgh.

jjwr
Sep 9th, 2005, 04:49:34 AM
Pats definetly weren't at the top of their game last night, but as Brady says they don't want to be peaking in week 1.

A fun stat, before last night the Pats are only 2-3 in season openers under Belechick. They have definetly be late season teams, thats when they have made their runs and really done their damage. If they can go 4-2 through their first 6 then they'll be ok, even 3-3 will be ok as it gets a lot easier after that.

Pats D was in Collins face all night, only 1 sack but plent of pressures and bad throws.

A nice look at a very deep receiving corp of the Pats, Branch, Givens and Brown are going to be a very good 1, 2, ,3. Watson showed some serious skills early, by late season he should be a monster.

Not spectacular and I would have preferred the Pats threw another TD on there to put the game away but its a solid start to the season.

Ryan Pode
Sep 9th, 2005, 05:47:05 AM
Carolina's offense with health can be scary. Last year under serious pressure Jake Delhomme developed and can be a 3500 + 25 TD QB. Now with all fifty-thousand of their running backs healthy and thier o-line in good shape they should be able to pound away at the patriots and go deep if need be.

JMK
Sep 9th, 2005, 07:02:09 AM
Steve Smith is 100% too, that will help big time. But they did lose Mushin Mohammed. Still, they've got a seriously dangerous backfield which will take a load off of Delhomme.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 9th, 2005, 09:05:34 AM
I think losing Mohamed hurts, and I am not convienced Davis has anything left and Foster is still unproven, IMO.

Ryan Pode
Sep 9th, 2005, 10:21:09 AM
If Davis is healthy, look for 1000 yard season and the steal of the Fantasy Football draft. In all honesty it was a steal. Because he is a STARTING running back in the NFL.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 9th, 2005, 11:30:06 AM
Davis thought might not be healthy some backs when they get past a certain age just fall apart.

Ryan Pode
Sep 9th, 2005, 11:44:57 AM
We'll see. If he doesn't hold up, then well it was what was expected of a TWENTY-FIFTH pick.

JMK
Sep 9th, 2005, 11:56:30 AM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
Davis thought might not be healthy some backs when they get past a certain age just fall apart.
Like Curtis Martin? ;)

Jedieb
Sep 9th, 2005, 02:40:09 PM
First place baby!!! :crack

Tim Dwight is going to be a huge pick up for the Pats. The guy is going to give them great field position all season long. I didn't even watch the end of the game. The Raiders were over and done with.

At Carolina
At Pitt
San Diego
At Atlanta
At Denver

At least they don't have to fly to San Diego.

Wow, that's a tough schedule. They could easily go 3-3. But that's the kind of record a Superbowl champion gets and it didn't so them down much last year.

JMK
Sep 9th, 2005, 02:47:58 PM
I don't see them losing any more than 1 of those games. Granted we haven't seen the other teams yet but I can't think of one reason why the Pats can't be 6-0.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 9th, 2005, 03:35:41 PM
Well Martin is different, besides I said some backs, Martin doesn't fit into that category. Davis does because he has been getting hurt so much lately. I am afraid Holmes might be similar, thank god Kansas City have Johnson that might save them because they can use both players and save what Holmes has left.

Ryan Pode
Sep 9th, 2005, 04:29:54 PM
Oh man, I was watching some comcast sports net and they were showing clips from this ravens kickoff party thing and this guy was asking Chris McAlister if he had ever heard of Marvin Harrison, well he got through Marvin and to the Har sound and the palce just filled up with boos. It was so tight.

jjwr
Sep 10th, 2005, 11:56:43 AM
The problem with all 5 of the Pats next games is they are all great running teams and right now that is their big question mark. Without their LB's from last year they may have trouble stopping the run until things are solidified. They can pass and should be able to run on all of those teams but defending the run could be a problem.

I see them beating the Steelers and Chargers, should beat the Panthers but the Falcons & Bronco's on the road will be tough.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 10th, 2005, 04:06:08 PM
Well the Broncos might not be that good :p Especially their Brownie defense.

Ryan Pode
Sep 10th, 2005, 04:30:11 PM
The Bronco defense should be better than the Raider defense and the Brocno's run.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 10th, 2005, 04:31:22 PM
Well not by much there are some people who are saying they might rank in the bottom of the league this year. I just think the broncos are going to be in for a long year but we shall see.

Ryan Pode
Sep 10th, 2005, 07:15:11 PM
They may be third in the division, but they'll be tough, especially at home.

jjwr
Sep 10th, 2005, 09:31:00 PM
Exactly, Bronco's are always tough at home and if your rush defense is struggling they are not someone you want to see on the schedule.

Jedieb
Sep 11th, 2005, 12:09:13 AM
I think Carolina and Pittsburgh will be the Pats toughest games during this early stretch. We'll have to see if the Panthers have rebounded from all the injuries they suffered last year. The Steelers should have Bettis back for that game and since it's not Jan. Heinz Field should actually give them a HF advantage.

Ah, my Sunday coma is only hours away. :crack

Ryan Pode
Sep 11th, 2005, 09:55:36 AM
I think the Steelers will be tough, but not in the toughest two. I think Atlanta and Denver and Carolina will all be harder. All three of those guys are better teams and in better shape.

jjwr
Sep 11th, 2005, 12:58:35 PM
Lots of upsets brewing already, Saints and Bucs are up at the half, lets see if they can hold onto them.

Jedieb
Sep 11th, 2005, 02:33:55 PM
Wow, a lot of interesting results so far. I should have trusted my Bucs and picked the upset. The Vikings looked flat. 5 turnovers for Culpepper. And while I didn't expect the Jets to win, I didn't expect them to look this inept. Which of these teams has the suspect defense? Granted, Jets receivers were dropping passes like a pouting Terrell Owens, but they did a good job on Curtis Martin as well. Big win for the Dolphins. It's only week 1, but they looked a lot better than their division rivals Jets.

Pittsburgh just b-slapped the Titans. I really feel for McNair. He's going to go out with a loser. Manning just hit Shockey for a TD. Good start for the G-Men and earlier LT showed why he's a fantasy god.

Ryan Pode
Sep 11th, 2005, 02:39:35 PM
S. Davis - 13 carries, 81 yards, 1 TD.

L. Johnson - 9 carries, 110 yards, 2 TDs.

Pode's teams that have L. Johnson = 3

Teams he played him on this weekend = 0.

>_<

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 11th, 2005, 04:30:11 PM
I am sure Kyle is very happy :) Two shocks really first the Dolphins beat the Broncos. Now I said the Broncos were very overrated and I think it will be a long year for Shananan. Now the 49ers are killing the Rams that I would have never saw coming. What is even more funny is the 49ers start the season in first place. Now for my Chiefs the defense played great, I am really happy about that. And I think the Holmes-Johnson duo will be deveastating for teams. KC should lead the NFL in rushing but neither back will finish top 5 in rushing but both could hav 1k seasons.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 11th, 2005, 05:39:54 PM
Two close finishes there, big win by S.F who would have thought that. Dallas made a heck of a comeback as well.

Jedieb
Sep 11th, 2005, 06:04:17 PM
I am sure Kyle is very happy :) Two shocks really first the Dolphins beat the Broncos. Now I said the Broncos were very overrated and I think it will be a long year for Shananan. Now the 49ers are killing the Rams that I would have never saw coming. What is even more funny is the 49ers start the season in first place. Now for my Chiefs the defense played great, I am really happy about that. And I think the Holmes-Johnson duo will be deveastating for teams. KC should lead the NFL in rushing but neither back will finish top 5 in rushing but both could hav 1k seasons.

I saw alot of that game. KC was just running over the Jets. Johnson was damn impressive. He and Holmes could punish people all year long. They could also spell each other and be fresh come Dec. & Jan. But the defense is what impressed me. It certainly looked like one that could find itself in the middle of the pack and that's what KC has been needing for years.

The Niners were certainly a surprise but I was stunned at how <smallfont color={hovercolor}>-Censored-</smallfont> poor the Rams played. I never got the sense they were going to threaten the Niners.

Jason Taylor and the Dolphins looked great. Gus Ferrotte made some nice throws and the Dolphins looked like they're going to take a step up from last year's disaster.

Bledsoe was exactly what the Cowboys needed. He's still got an arm and he has enough solid receivers to get the job done. I didn't think they could go into SD and win a game like that. SD played well, they certainly didn't lay an egg.

Jedieb
Sep 11th, 2005, 06:06:32 PM
Surprising opening week. I'm 8-5 so far. How's everybody else doing?

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 11th, 2005, 06:11:20 PM
8-5 today, the upsets killed me. There was no way I would have ever picked S.F or Miami. I flirted with the Saints, but changed my mind. I was lucky to get two of the upsets in Dallas and Detroit.

Jedieb
Sep 11th, 2005, 06:15:49 PM
Carr, I think you're 9-4 and probably going to win the first week. The Dallas upset is probably going to give you first place. :thumbup

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 11th, 2005, 06:21:06 PM
I lost
Minnesota, Carolina, St. Louis, Denver, and seattle. I wish I picked New Orleans now but that was my mistake.

Jedieb
Sep 11th, 2005, 06:28:39 PM
I miscounted earlier, all the 8 game winners are 8-6 and you're 9-5. We've played 14 games so far in week one.

Tonights game should be pretty sweet. Stud offense V. stud defense. Something's got to give.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 11th, 2005, 06:30:05 PM
yeah should be a great game.

Jedieb
Sep 11th, 2005, 06:31:26 PM
Actually, we're both tied at 9-5. Good thing Fig does this. Damn. :x

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 11th, 2005, 06:33:07 PM
Heh yeah I couldn't keep up with it.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 11th, 2005, 06:40:47 PM
One thing I forgot to add, 14 teams made a huge mistake in passing on Derrick Johnson. The chiefs stole this guy, I will make a bold prediction he will become the best player from that draft. He plays like the second coming of Derrick Thomas.

Jedieb
Sep 11th, 2005, 06:46:47 PM
What, the first Ravens offensvie possession of the season ends with a Boller INT? Nah, couldn't be........

Jedieb
Sep 11th, 2005, 07:01:05 PM
If there's a short yardage play to be butchered, the Colts are there! Lewis is my fantasy back and he's off to a decent start.

Lance Casey
Sep 11th, 2005, 07:39:41 PM
5 and 8. Freakin upsets.

Jedieb
Sep 11th, 2005, 08:26:27 PM
Wow, I can't remember the last time I saw Stover miss 2 FG's. Both defenses are playing great. Whichever defense gets tired first loses.

Kale
Sep 11th, 2005, 08:48:56 PM
I'm 7-7 so far. ^_^;

Ravens/Colts has been fun to watch. The Ravens D certainly exceeded my expectations. But I have a feeling the only way they're going to win is if they come up with a defensive touchdown. Boller's getting awful pass protection. Jamal Lewis looks good, but not good enough to carry the whole offense.

Jedieb
Sep 11th, 2005, 08:52:31 PM
Well, it's 17-0, Manning is in a groove, Deion is getting torched everytime Stokely flys by him, and Boller just got sacked. He's writhing on the ground right now. Whether the Colts D gets their shoutout shouldn't matter, they played big tonight. I expected them to frustrate Boller, but I didn't think they would be this effective against Lewis. But lets be honest, getting the backup QB in there may be the best thing that could have happened to the Ravens offense.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 11th, 2005, 08:53:05 PM
The Ravens might be better off with Wright though.

Jedieb
Sep 11th, 2005, 08:56:46 PM
You're damn right. The Colts are probably kicking themselves for knocking Boller out of the game.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 11th, 2005, 08:57:56 PM
I remember that game against Seattle a few years ago, the kid can play.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 11th, 2005, 09:06:40 PM
Man Stover can't hit the broadside of the barn tonight.

Jedieb
Sep 11th, 2005, 09:06:45 PM
Man, Stover and Deion are having a rough night. What a shame. :evil

jjwr
Sep 11th, 2005, 09:08:07 PM
And 0-3 for Stover...ouch

Jedieb
Sep 11th, 2005, 09:10:42 PM
Wow, that was such a cheap block I'm surprised they just didn't blow the whistle and end the play. Game over. The Ravens should be able to at least manage a TD or a FG though.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 11th, 2005, 09:18:15 PM
Wright looks so much better than Boller. If Bellick had any brains he keep him as the starter regardless if Boller is healthy or not.

Jedieb
Sep 11th, 2005, 09:20:52 PM
And Indy's middle linebacker just became Kyle Boller's best friend. A shut out is the only thing that might allow Boller to keep his job. But you're right, Wright looks much better than Boller. But will Billick's ego allow him to do what's best for the Ravens?

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 11th, 2005, 09:23:50 PM
Who knows, Wright has more mobility and a better arm I think he is a better choice. Boller is just way too inconsitent.

Jedieb
Sep 11th, 2005, 09:32:39 PM
Man, this is just embarrasing. All of the big AFC teams laid the beat down this week, Pats, Steelers, and now the Colts. Second tier teams like the Ravens and Jets must be scratching their heads right now. It's early, but they couldn't have asked for a better start.

The Colts D really is starting to look like something that Dungy can be proud of. They kept the Colts in the game against Indy last year. Like the Chiefs, they could become a top 15 unit.

Ryan Pode
Sep 11th, 2005, 09:38:41 PM
Hmm... Key's to the loss:

Matt Stover - 0-3 (he is dead to me).
Clarence Moore - In leiu of Travis Taylor's depature, someone had to drop passes.
Dale Carter - Illegal hands to the face --> TD.
Jim Fassel - Got pass-happy while down 3-0. Bad idea.

Now, I have to go write a five page paper and at the conclusion I shall commit seppuku. I am truly disappointed in the Ravens even though I know I shouldn't. The Raven's always look horrible in their season opener but they get better. Usually they don't play one of the best teams in the NFL.

The best thing about being shut out in the first game: Your offense can only get better.

Jedieb
Sep 11th, 2005, 09:41:35 PM
That's the way to keep your head up! Sorry about the 5 page paper, uggh, the game was bad enough.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 11th, 2005, 09:44:08 PM
As we all know this game doesn't prove much about the colts, until they beat the Patriots they will never win a Super Bowl.

jjwr
Sep 11th, 2005, 09:46:12 PM
13 seconds left and the Ravens score!

Ryan Pode
Sep 11th, 2005, 09:47:36 PM
THANK GOD. OMG. I was about to cry.. no joke.

Ryan Pode
Sep 11th, 2005, 09:58:02 PM
Things I thought the Raven's did good:

Defense - Considering they haven't ever taken an ingame snap together with the entire defense together they did okay, communication will improve and they will get better.

Kyle Boller - hate all you want, but he completed 15 of 23 passes (SIXTY-FIVE PERCENT) for a 141 yards (6.13 YPA average [up half a yard from a year ago]) and his interception wasn't really his fault. Clarence Moore is a word I shouldn't use on the board but he is and needs to be benched for MARK Clayton.

Mark Clayton/Derrick Mason - holy <smallfont color={hovercolor}>-Censored-</smallfont>. These two are recievers... the type other teams have. Mason had 8 catches for 99 yards and Clayton 5 for 44. The only bad moment between the two was Clayton's ONE drop.

Dan Wilcox - the man is a beast. He is a great recieving TE especially when the defense has to deal with Todd Heap.

Punt Return/B.J Sams - looks like they've gotten better, save the one penalty.

And yes, I'm procrastinating.

Lance Casey
Sep 11th, 2005, 10:01:38 PM
Alright, 7 and 8. Philly wins Monday and I'll break even for week one.

Ryan Pode
Sep 11th, 2005, 10:03:12 PM
6 and 9.

sirdizzy
Sep 12th, 2005, 01:09:21 AM
I sent my picks to Carr last week, While I was petioning my return (THANK YOU CARR) and I was wondering if I could have them sumbitted. I only went a miserable 9-6 so far but its so hard making up a missed week.

JMK
Sep 12th, 2005, 06:58:07 AM
7-8 so far. The upsets really did me in. I'm glad the Lions were up to the task vs Green Bay.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 12th, 2005, 09:03:07 AM
Dizzy did so that isn't a problem but its up to Figrin since he is running the contest.

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 12th, 2005, 01:30:37 PM
11-4 so far

Really pleased with how the Niners opened the season. :) And Miami! Although I didn't pick the latter...

Jedieb
Sep 12th, 2005, 03:37:51 PM
LD's blind Niners loyalty won her the week. 9 or 10 wins will probably be good for second place. As for last night's game, all I saw is that the Ravens still aren't up there with the AFC elite. That was a bad home loss, no other way to spin it. They didn't look as miserable as the Jets, but they didn't look that good either. That defense is one of the better ones in the league, but it didn't look as good as the Pats either.

Denver wins all its preseason games and lays an egg against the Dolphins. The Colts didn't win one and beat up on the Ravens on their home field. The only goals of preseason are not to suffer a big injury and to get your guys in shape. That brings us to Philly. 3 weeks ago they looked like they were ready to implode. All that TO drama could end up being meaningless. Tonight we'll see if it meant anything at all.

In addition to the Jets, the Packers are another team that had a rough opening week. They looked like crap against the Lions and Walker is probably gone for the season. This season could be a disaster for GB and it could mark the end of Favre's career. If they go something like 5-11 I can't see why he would come back.

Jedieb
Sep 12th, 2005, 04:02:30 PM
Yeah baby! Tonight's a money game for me. If the Eagles win I tie for the lead in my football pool. I've got 34 points, my buddy has Atlanta and 52 points and he's one game ahead. The Eagles come through for me and the score stays below 34 points, I win week 1 and $50. Sweeeet.

Ryan Pode
Sep 12th, 2005, 04:16:38 PM
When Baltimore is 9-2 or 10-1 in week 12, we'll see who is laughing.

Figrin D'an
Sep 12th, 2005, 04:23:20 PM
Dizzy did so that isn't a problem but its up to Figrin since he is running the contest.

I will leave this up to the other people in the contest, since it is all of you who will be most affected. I would rather not base such a decision on my own opinions, which are rather uninformed regarding board matters of late.

Scores for the week will be posted after Monday Night Football this evening.

Jedieb
Sep 12th, 2005, 06:35:21 PM
Originally posted by Ryan Pode
When Baltimore is 9-2 or 10-1 in week 12, we'll see who is laughing.

And a few days ago I bet they were going to be 12-0 by week 12. With the enigmatic QB stylings of Boller and Wright, I think you'll be revising that record a few times before week 12 rolls around.

I will leave this up to the other people in the contest, since it is all of you who will be most affected. I would rather not base such a decision on my own opinions, which are rather uninformed regarding board matters of late.

I've got no problem with it as long as the pics can be verified as being on time and I'm sure they're legit. The more the merrier. If I recall, dizzy is a Broncos fan so that's just more trash talk to enjoy.

A fight broke out during warmups and a couple of players have been EJECTED. One of them being Philly's Trotter. Trotter is crucial for Philly's run D. And what is Atlanta in reality? A running team. Thanks Trotter, you probably just cost me $50. :shootin

JMK
Sep 12th, 2005, 06:41:36 PM
The teams just squared off at center field AGAIN. This game should be red hot with tempers flaring all over the place. Now I really can't wait for this one!

Jedieb
Sep 12th, 2005, 07:44:27 PM
Vick is just beautiful to watch. He's not as good Brady and Manning, but he can do things that no other QB in the league can do. The plays he made on that TD drive were just amazing.

JMK
Sep 12th, 2005, 07:54:18 PM
What a pass he just threw to set up the TJ Duckett run. I hope we get to see Vick turn the corner this year and join Brady and Manning in the conversation of best QB in the league.

jjwr
Sep 12th, 2005, 08:23:13 PM
I have no problem with Dizzy joining in.

Sadly for the Ravens they just don't have the offense to go on a 9-0 tear, not with the Steelers in their division.

Jedieb
Sep 12th, 2005, 08:36:01 PM
Ravens Schedule till Week 12
Tennessee
BYE WEEK
NY Jets
at Detroit
Cleveland
at Chicago
at Pittsburgh
Cincinnati
at Jacksonville
Pittsburgh
at Cincinnati

If they really want to prove that they're up their with the Pats, Steelers, and Colts they could tear through that weak schedule. If they split with the Steelers they could just be 9-2 by Week 12. But if they start dropping games to the likes of the Bengals, Jets, and Jags then they'll have to give up dreams of grandeur. By comparison, the Pats have a brutal schedule, at least the early part. Those first 6 games of theirs are brutal

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 12th, 2005, 08:58:55 PM
Here are Dizzy picks so we can get that out of the way

New England
Kansas City
Minnisotta
Washington
Denver
Carolina
Jacksonville
Pittsburgh
Cincinnati
Buffalo
San Diego
St Louis
New York Giants
Green Bay
Indianapollis
Philadelphia 27 vs Atlanta 21

He gave them to me last week through a pm it is up to you what you want to do.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 12th, 2005, 09:36:19 PM
Mcnabb is having a horrible game, 2 fumbles and an int. Although Atlanta's offense is looking great either.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 12th, 2005, 10:30:45 PM
Mcnabb played terrible some of his passes were way off, I didn't even know who he was throwing them too. I wonder if the Owens thing has gotten to him a little too much?

Figrin D'an
Sep 12th, 2005, 10:37:26 PM
Week 1 Results

Lilaena De'Ville: 11-5
Jedi Master Carr: 10-6
Jedieb: 10-6
jjwr: 9-7
sirdizzy: 9-7
Yoghurt: 9-7
JMK: 8-8
Kale: 8-8
Figrin D'an: 7-9
Lance Casey: 7-9
Nathanial K'cansce: 7-9
Ryan Pode: 6-10
Lamar Starworth: 5-11

Week 2 schedule will be posted by mid-week.

Figrin D'an
Sep 12th, 2005, 11:01:39 PM
Some general news from around the league following Week 1:

- Packers receiver Javon Walker is out for the remainder of the season with a torn ACL.

- Panthers defensive tackle Kris Jenkins is out for the remainder of the season with a torn ACL.

- Ravens quarterback Kyle Boller will miss at least one game, maybe more, with a toe injury. Anthony Wright, who played after Boller's injury Sunday night, will start in his place.

- Broncos defensive back Champ Bailey (dislocated shoulder) and running back Mike Anderson (seperated rib cartilage) both suffered injuries Sunday against Miami and will be re-evaluted before their Week 2 status is determined.

- Titans first-round draft pick defensive back Adam "Pac-Man" Jones is expected to make is NFL debut in week two against the Ravens.

- Redskins head coach Joe Gibbs has named veteran quarterback Mark Brunell his starter for Week 2, who replaced Patrick Ramsey following a neck strain against Chicago in Week 1. Ramsey will be ready to play and will be the backup QB after being the starter in Week 1.

- The Indianapolis Colts awarded head coach Tony Dungy with a three year contract extention, keeping with the team through the 2009 season (financial terms not disclosed).

- Following their "home opener" at the Meadowlands against the New York Giants next Monday night, the New Orleans Saints will play their remaining home games in two locations.... 4 games will be played at LSU's Tiger Stadium in Baton Rouge, while the other 3 will be played at the Alamodome in San Antionio. (Note: The location of Saints home games will be posted each week to make clear the locale for that week.)

Lilaena De'Ville
Sep 12th, 2005, 11:08:18 PM
Hey hey - nothing wrong with blind loyalty!

I shall bask in my winningness while it lasts. :D

sirdizzy
Sep 13th, 2005, 01:33:11 AM
OK that was a wacky wacky wacky week

several teams that will finish 5-11 or worse beat teams far better than them. The Niners, Bucs, Dolphins, Lions and Cowboys are not good teams and shouldn't all be winning.

I had a gut feeling on the carolina game, carolina is the better team and they were also the home team but the saints were playing with so much emotion its really hard to beat. I knew I should have taken the saints but it was so hard for me to go against the better home team even with the gut feeling.

I like week 2 teams like denver and the chargers who shouldn't have lost will square off against each other.

And thanks for letting me play.

Yog
Sep 13th, 2005, 02:04:22 AM
Wacky week indeed. I am wondering though if some of the upsets were more than a fluke..

jjwr
Sep 13th, 2005, 06:45:39 AM
It was like this every week last year, the NFL is so up and down now that the top teams aren't seperated by much from the mid/low level teams. Very few teams should be considered clear locks, those include Steelers, Colts, Pats, maybe the Falcons & Eagles, the rest could very well all be coin-flip games.

JMK
Sep 13th, 2005, 06:59:29 AM
I'm thinking a lot of folks are going to be right around .500 for the year. Not like that's a revelation or anything given the way the NFL has been these past few seasons, but from week 1's action you get the sense that there will be even more weird upsets than usual. I'm lucky and unlucky to have finished .500 for the week. ^_^;

JMK
Sep 13th, 2005, 01:44:42 PM
Hey Layton, are the Chiefs trying to do their best to keep up with the Raiders and Ravens?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2160514

Ryan Pode
Sep 13th, 2005, 02:05:33 PM
The Ravens have a very easy schedule and if they can win early, they play one of the easiest December schedules in the league... all they have to do is beat the teams they are supposed to beat and surprise one or two more.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 13th, 2005, 04:41:50 PM
Originally posted by JMK
Hey Layton, are the Chiefs trying to do their best to keep up with the Raiders and Ravens?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2160514

LOL Kyle well it sounds like it is nothing according the KC star. The woman is backtracking and saying a different story to the press. The case will go away, I am sure.
Dizzy- I disagree with you about the Lions, they could win that division. And right now they look better and Green Bay. I wouldn't be shocked if they are the surprise team this year. About the Cowboys they are a playoff contender as well but they beat a average Charger team. I predict they won't make the playoffs, that is very typical of Schotenhiemer's teams. I think they are vastly overrated and played a weak schedule last year that favored them. And the Niners well I think they won't win more than 5 or 6 games. That division is awful not sure who is going to win but they won't win more than 7-9 games the way it looks. That division is rivalling the NL West in baseball.

Ryan Pode
Sep 14th, 2005, 10:20:55 AM
Raven's are gonna resign Slash.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 14th, 2005, 10:43:38 AM
They are hard up to resign that bum.

Ryan Pode
Sep 14th, 2005, 10:46:53 AM
AFC Special Teams player of the week, BIA.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 14th, 2005, 10:59:52 AM
When did Kordell Stewart play special teams?

Ryan Pode
Sep 14th, 2005, 11:57:57 AM
When one of the Jet's broke our Punters shoulders. So Kordell stepped in and punted like 5 times for an average of 35.something yards and had a few land inside the 10. It was awesome.

SPECIAL TEAMS: QB-P KORDELL STEWART, BALTIMORE RAVENS

In a 20-17 overtime road victory for Baltimore against the New York Jets, reserve quarterback Kordell Stewart answered the call to handle punting duties in a battle of field position. Ravens punter Dave Zastudil left the game in the second quarter with a shoulder injury, leaving Stewart to fill the void. In his first punting effort since his days at John Ehret High School in New Orleans, the 10-year NFL veteran from Colorado punted five times for a 35.4 average, including two punts placed within the Jets 20-yard line. Stewart's final punt of the day came in overtime, when he blasted a 42-yarder which was downed on the Jets 9-yard line by starting linebacker and standout special-teamer Adalius Thomas. Baltimore's defense forced New York into a punt three plays later and the Ravens won the game on their ensuing possession, thanks to a 42-yard field goal by Matt Stover.

This is the second career Player of the Week Award for Stewart, who also was honored in Week 14 of 2001 for his quarterback play with the Steelers.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/7897946

JMK
Sep 14th, 2005, 12:10:24 PM
Is there a rule that prevents a QB from punting the ball to his receivers? Maybe he should try that route because he'd probably have better success than passing with his arm.

Ryan Pode
Sep 14th, 2005, 12:36:52 PM
Ouch. True... but ouch. He's a better option than Tim Couch...

Jedieb
Sep 14th, 2005, 03:33:41 PM
The Dolphins are going to be tough to get a handle on because of the way they won. Throw in the craptacular play of the Jets and that's going to be one of the tougher games to pick. Are the Fins' back on track? Are the Jets really that bad? Will Herm Edwards light a fire under his team and get some payback? Will Ricky score some decent weed during his vacation? So many questions....