PDA

View Full Version : College Football

CMJ
Sep 4th, 2005, 10:31:14 AM
The season started in earmest yesterday, though technically Thursday was opening night. It's hard to call any games an upset since who the hell knows how good the teams really are, but TCU knocking off OU was pretty surprising.

Games of note yesterday,

Notre Dame making a statement under Weiss. Tennessee surving a scare. Franchione pulling a brain cramp vs Clemson. Auburn's 15 game win streak going down. USC rolling in mid season form.

North Texas's contest with LSU was postponed for obvious reasons. Currently working on a makeup date.

Figrin D'an
Sep 4th, 2005, 11:18:38 AM
Top 25 teams who lost this weekend:

#7 Oklahoma to TCU
#16 Auburn to Geogia Tech
#17 Texas A&M to Clemson
#18 Boise State to #13 Georgia
#23 Pittsburgh to Notre Dame

I don't really buy Notre Dame's "statement" against Pitt. Sorry, but Pitt is overrated. Palko is a pretty good QB, but the Panthers have no defense. Give Charley Weiss weeks to prep for one game against a sub-par defense and he could lead a Pop Warner team to victory. Things will get hairy for the Irish now. Look at their schedule over the next five weeks:

at #4 Michigan
Michigan State
at Washington
at #15 Purdue
#1 USC

Washingon might be winnable for them, but you can bet the Huskies are going to want revenge for Ty Willingham. Hope the Irish faithful enjoyed that win against Pitt, because they're staring five losses right in the face.

Oklahoma looks hung over from the end of last season. Yeah, losing some players to the NFL and graduation doesn't help, but when Adrian Peterson has 5 yards in the first half, it means trouble. I expect OU will still roll to 10 wins this season, but this could finally be the year that Texas beats them. Props to TCU though. They could be a pretty good team this year.

CMJ
Sep 4th, 2005, 11:30:32 AM
I think ND will be 3-3 after their first six games. But who knows. :)

Patterson is a really good coach. I won't be surprised if they win the MWC this year. Especially since Meyer isn't in Utah anymore(though I still expect the Utes to be pretty good).

As a fan of the little guy, I was really disappointed in how BSU performed vs Georgia. Others looked goof though, like Bowling Green in a close loss to Wisconson.

Figrin D'an
Sep 4th, 2005, 11:59:17 AM
Originally posted by CMJ
I think ND will be 3-3 after their first six games. But who knows. :)

Patterson is a really good coach. I won't be surprised if they win the MWC this year. Especially since Meyer isn't in Utah anymore(though I still expect the Utes to be pretty good).

As a fan of the little guy, I was really disappointed in how BSU performed vs Georgia. Others looked goof though, like Bowling Green in a close loss to Wisconson.

Bowling Green lost because they didn't know how to prep for Brian Calhoun. Wisconsin has had some great RBs in the past 10 years, but none as versatile as Calhoun. He tore BG's defense to shreds. That said, I still don't think the Badgers will be that great this year. Middle of pack in the Big Ten, IMO. The conference is too strong at the top with Michigan, Ohio State, Iowa and Purdue for them to finish any higher than that.

TCU has a great shot at the MWC title this year, I agree.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 4th, 2005, 04:23:25 PM
I think ND will beat Washington and Michigan State. I don't think MSU is that good this year. I don't see them though being better than 3-3 unless they can upset Michigan or Purdue. I was really happy with Clemson's win, I thought they were done for when Whitehurst got hurt (that should have been a pentality, he got hit while he was sliding, unless they don't have that rule in the NCAA). Big win for them, heck with the ACC wide open they could contended for the title.

Sanis Prent
Sep 4th, 2005, 09:30:35 PM
Pitt wasn't really overrated as much as I think nobody gave Notre Dame a fair shake. Even without Willingham, they will always be a contender.

Also, I can't help but vomit a little on the inside at the worthiness of USC's conference play. Put the Trojans in a more fratricidal conference and see how they end the season already. The Big 10 or the SEC should have a school swap and see how that works.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 4th, 2005, 10:12:58 PM
I actually think USC could get beat, that game at Orgeon could be deadly.

Sanis Prent
Sep 4th, 2005, 10:31:24 PM
USC certainly won't get beat by anybody in the anemic PAC-10, that's for sure. Certainly helps a "dynasty" when they can get to number one and then ride coattails of pre-season rankings because of a crappy strength of schedule.

CMJ
Sep 5th, 2005, 02:03:58 AM
Yeah, since USC showed they couldn't play with the big boys of the Big XII last year. Oh wait.

Well....they can't play with the Big 10 Champ. Oh wait.

;)

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 5th, 2005, 11:53:14 AM
lol that is true. I still think Oregon could beat them that is a very possible upset.

Sanis Prent
Sep 5th, 2005, 12:32:48 PM
Originally posted by CMJ
Yeah, since USC showed they couldn't play with the big boys of the Big XII last year. Oh wait.

Well....they can't play with the Big 10 Champ. Oh wait.

;)

Certainly helps one maintain that standing when they only have one actual opponent a season, doesn't it?

Figrin D'an
Sep 5th, 2005, 02:10:42 PM
USC won't go undefeated this year. Even in the less-than-stellar PAC-10, they'll lose a game. It will be to someone that no one suspects, too. The popular pick to beat them is Oregon. My pick to beat them... Arizona State. The Sun Devils get USC at home, and the week after the supposed "big game" in which the Trojans visit Autzen Stadium. Most people are sleeping on the Sun Devils because they lost Andrew Walter to graduation. Sam Keller is a pretty good QB himself, though, and they still have Derek Hagan, who is as good as any receiver in the nation this year. Arizona State will already have big game experience by the time the play USC, since they travel to Baton Rouge to play LSU this coming Saturday.

Texas at Ohio State is going to be interesting. Longhorn fans are all hyped up since Oklahoma looked so bad against TCU, thinking that maybe this is their year. The Buckeyes could all but shatter their national title dreams pretty quickly, though.

CMJ
Sep 5th, 2005, 09:44:25 PM
Great game between Miami and FSU- as is typical in the rivalry.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 10th, 2005, 04:20:23 PM
I guess Notre Dame is for real, beating a good Michigan team in Ann Arbor. Are they now a threat to USC? Should be interesting to see them down the stretch. I was happy with Clemson's win, they showed some resolve in their comeback.

CMJ
Sep 10th, 2005, 05:46:56 PM
Biggest news of the day so far was ISU destroying Iowa(to me). I actually had ISU as my darkhorse for the Big XII(because following the form of the conference - the North is due for the win), but I didn't expect the thrashing they gave the Hawkeyes.

I'm listening to NT's game right now. And I'm gonna make the trek out to see UCLA tonight. I've been meaning to see a game in the Rose Bowl, so I finally will. ;)

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 10th, 2005, 07:35:15 PM
Georgia barely beating SC was a shock to me. SC looked terrible in its first game, makes me wonder how good Georgia is.

Figrin D'an
Sep 10th, 2005, 08:05:17 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
I guess Notre Dame is for real, beating a good Michigan team in Ann Arbor. Are they now a threat to USC? Should be interesting to see them down the stretch. I was happy with Clemson's win, they showed some resolve in their comeback.

Michigan isn't even close to USC in terms of ability. Michigan was ranked #3 based on reputation and their two sophomore stars, Henne and Hart. Overlooked is that they have some very significant holes on defense, which were exposed last week by Northern Illinois. Notre Dame may be better than I initial wanted to admit, but they're still not as good as many pundits want to make them out to be.

The weekend, if nothing else, has given more support to my view that there should be no polls until the middle of the season. Rank the teams once they have played 5 or 6 games and demonstrated their quality on the field, not when the only way to judge them is by what they did last year and how many starters and how much talent they bring back.

Purdue beat Akron 49-24. It was kind of an ugly game, though. They'll have to play a lot better next week when they visit Arizona. I'm actually more concerned about that game than I am upcoming games against Minnesota and Notre Dame.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 10th, 2005, 10:15:23 PM
Well USC plays at Notre Dame that will make it tough. To me USC has three roadblocks Oregon, Arizona State and Notre Dame. I would say Cal, but I think they play that game at home.

Jedieb
Sep 11th, 2005, 12:05:11 AM
Congrats to North Texas! 14-7 winners over Middle Tennessee. :thumbup

CMJ
Sep 11th, 2005, 01:30:41 AM
When I left for the UCLA game NT looked inept on offense, even though we were only down 7-0. I was kinda surprised to learn we'd won. Reading the recap, a pic six is what tuned the game around. Go DEFENSE. :)

The Rose Bowl is a terrific stadium. Tremendous sightlines. I sat in 3 different sections(as it was only about 2 thirds full). Not a bad seat in the house.

UCLA will beat OU unless the Sooners look alot better.

Sanis Prent
Sep 11th, 2005, 07:40:30 PM
Georgia barely beating SC was a shock to me. SC looked terrible in its first game, makes me wonder how good Georgia is.

SC can play up and down to anybody's level. Georgia is quite a formidable team.

CMJ
Sep 17th, 2005, 03:57:00 PM
Biggest surprise of the day so far is Vanderbilt being undefeated. This is like the first time in a generation they started off a season 3-0.

Sanis Prent
Sep 17th, 2005, 05:48:49 PM
Well, so much for worrying about South Carolina ^_^;

Dear God that was a beating. By the 3rd quarter, the Gamecocks fans were leaving their own stadium. Ten minutes left in the fourth and we own the place, and start singing Rammer Jammer. That's just crazy. They're going to have to burn that stadium down and build a new one. What a total deflowering.

Should get enough street cred with this one to sneak into the top 25 ;)

CMJ
Sep 17th, 2005, 05:50:57 PM
UCLA takes it to Oklahoma. Michigan State/ND play a classic.

Sanis Prent
Sep 17th, 2005, 05:53:51 PM
Clemson loses a heartbreaker to Miami :cry oh well, at least the Irish got beat ;)

Unranked one week and #12 the next? Oh no, sit down little leprechaun :D

Figrin D'an
Sep 17th, 2005, 06:35:55 PM
UCLA beat the snot out of Oklahoma. The Bruins winning isn't a surprise, but the margin of victory is.

OU has some serious problems. They did lose a lot of talent from last year, but it seems like they have a major confidence issue. I think getting creamed by USC in the Orange Bowl last year is still affecting them.

Sanis Prent
Sep 17th, 2005, 07:30:03 PM
That and their entire offensive package is a one trick pony. UCLA doesn't need rocket scientists for defensive coordinators to know that putting 10 men in the box 90% of the time will pay off against a homogenous Sooner running game.

CMJ
Sep 17th, 2005, 08:12:38 PM
This was the worst beating NT has recieved in a long time. Hell we played way better when Texas destroyed us by over 50 last year. Last week was pure luck. I doubt we win more than 4 games this season.

But I still have good news. I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to Geico!!

:x

CMJ
Sep 17th, 2005, 11:49:10 PM
Some further quick thoughts....

Alabama is a team to keep an eye out for in the SEC West. Might come down between LSU and the Tide.

The "world's largest outdoor coctail party" will probably be for all the marlbes in the SEC East.

USC is a machine. First eight offensive plays - 4 touchdowns.

Michigan State owns Notre Dame. Of course that means they'll lose next week to Illinois.

The three Florida schools came up with big wins. I still have doubts about FSU and Miami however.

UCLA is a team to watch out for. Oklahoma is rebuilding, but I've watched all 3 of the Bruins games this season. They might surprise in the PAC 10.

Louisville looks damn good.

I'd comment more on the contending schools in the Big XII and the Big 10, but none of them really had true tests this week. Nebraska over Pitt was about the closest to one there was(since everyone can contend in the North).

Sanis Prent
Sep 18th, 2005, 01:39:14 AM
Originally posted by CMJ
Some further quick thoughts....

Alabama is a team to keep an eye out for in the SEC West. Might come down between LSU and the Tide.

I'd love to see it, but I don't think I can back you up on that, not yet at least. The team's got talent, which is a given, but there is so much fratricide inherent in the SEC that just about any team can beat any other team at this rate. Plus, Auburn is the triple threat in the west, so there's that much that can go wrong.

Tyrone Prothro has ascended to the top of his form, and we once again have a fantastic group in the backfield. Our line is good, but they're really young and need to bulk up to boot. That's a weakness. Plus, I don't think Brody will last the season. I am praying that he does, but the kid is Mr. Glass, and if his knees go out again, they won't have anything left but to rip his brain out and put it in a Krang suit. He's so injury prone. Also, Christensen might have a Janokowski leg on him, but he can't hit the broad side of a barn when he's going for range.

Our defense is bringing the pain, at least we're consistent there. Overall, I have a lot of high hopes and I think we'll have a great year, its just waaay too early to start calling the home run shots.

The "world's largest outdoor coctail party" will probably be for all the marlbes in the SEC East.

You gotta figure that much. The Gators survived Thunderdome tonight, and honestly the Vols are riding a big puff of hot air anyway.

(Psst it'll be Florida anyway. I'll go ahead and call that one right now)

USC is a machine. First eight offensive plays - 4 touchdowns.

For the first time, I'll concede it. Even though the Hogs are minus Matt Jones, its still not a small thing to finish with a score like that. Good grief.

Michigan State owns Notre Dame. Of course that means they'll lose next week to Illinois.

The Spartans are the Miltonian Satan to the Big Ten's Paradise Lost. They really only exist to spite and/or upset Michigan. Doing anything else in their season is in effect, bonus points.

The three Florida schools came up with big wins. I still have doubts about FSU and Miami however.

Miami is going to get the rug snatched from under them if they don't shape up their act.

Louisville looks damn good.

They're just plain evil. They can play with anybody and you simply don't know who they'll beat and who they'll lose to. Like so many other dark horse schools, putting money on one of their games is suicide, and I won't go near them.

CMJ
Sep 18th, 2005, 10:21:01 AM
Originally posted by Sanis Prent
I'd love to see it, but I don't think I can back you up on that, not yet at least. The team's got talent, which is a given, but there is so much fratricide inherent in the SEC that just about any team can beat any other team at this rate. Plus, Auburn is the triple threat in the west, so there's that much that can go wrong.

Tyrone Prothro has ascended to the top of his form, and we once again have a fantastic group in the backfield. Our line is good, but they're really young and need to bulk up to boot. That's a weakness. Plus, I don't think Brody will last the season. I am praying that he does, but the kid is Mr. Glass, and if his knees go out again, they won't have anything left but to rip his brain out and put it in a Krang suit. He's so injury prone. Also, Christensen might have a Janokowski leg on him, but he can't hit the broad side of a barn when he's going for range.

Our defense is bringing the pain, at least we're consistent there. Overall, I have a lot of high hopes and I think we'll have a great year, its just waaay too early to start calling the home run shots.

Well, I know Bama has a few questions, but with that defense I like their chances. LSU is obstacle. Though with them playing for the state of LA, they might be a team of destiny. As for Auburn, they lost so much talent last year I don't expect this to be their year. Next season though, I expect them to be very good.

You gotta figure that much. The Gators survived Thunderdome tonight, and honestly the Vols are riding a big puff of hot air anyway.

(Psst it'll be Florida anyway. I'll go ahead and call that one right now)

I'm inclined to agree with you.

For the first time, I'll concede it. Even though the Hogs are minus Matt Jones, its still not a small thing to finish with a score like that. Good grief.

I admit, while I was watching the 1st quarter my first thought was "maybe this will convince Charley USC isn't too bad". ;) Stat of the game. Time of possession in the first quarter for USC was 1:32. And they had four scores.

The Spartans are the Miltonian Satan to the Big Ten's Paradise Lost. They really only exist to spite and/or upset Michigan. Doing anything else in their season is in effect, bonus points.

Michigan AND Notre Dame. It's rather amazing how well they can look vs those two, and how average vs everyone else.

Miami is going to get the rug snatched from under them if they don't shape up their act.

They haven't exactly played pushovers so far, but I do think they are in serious trouble. They MIGHT be able to coast till VA Tech. But that's gonna be a whipping unless the Canes shape up.

They're just plain evil. They can play with anybody and you simply don't know who they'll beat and who they'll lose to. Like so many other dark horse schools, putting money on one of their games is suicide, and I won't go near them.

If they win the Big East they'll be playing in one of the "Big 4" games. I'd think that's a safe bet the way Pitt and some of the others look this season.

Figrin D'an
Sep 18th, 2005, 12:10:24 PM
I'm still sticking with my pick of Arizona State being the biggest threat to another undefeated regular season by USC. USC was very impressive (again) last night. Their young defense has yet to be challenged though. Against a team that can keep up with them on offense, like ASU, the Trojan defense will have to step up.

No one at work believed me that MSU would beat Notre Dame. Some people just don't pay attention to trends I guess. The Spartans have traditionally pwned the Irish, particularly when Notre Dame is "good." I do expect Notre Dame to bounce back with a win at Washington next weekend, making them 3-1 when they head to West Lafayette to play Purdue.

Purdue won on the road last night against an improving Arizona team. They never trailed, and were only tied once (in the first quarter). It ended up being a fairly close game though, as they got an interception to stop a late Wildcats drive to tie the game. The defense played better than last week, but they're still not up to the level they were last year, which is kind of concerning as all 11 starters are back. They'll need to be better next week against Minnesota. The running game has been great so far this season, which makes me happy. It's making up for the learning curve as they take in the rest of the offense.

Jedieb
Sep 24th, 2005, 09:04:58 PM
South Florida lays the beatdown on #9 Louisville!!!!:crack

Next up is the big bad Hurricanes! :cry

Jedieb
Sep 24th, 2005, 09:11:56 PM
I just saw the highlights on Sportscenter!!!!! Biggest win in school history baby!!!! If only I could have been there with my Chi Phi brothers!!!! :crack

Sanis Prent
Sep 24th, 2005, 09:21:10 PM
See? YOU SEE! That's why I never bet on Louisville games up or down.

That just ain't right man.

On my side of the gridiron, Alabama won against the Razorbacks in typical Alabama fashion, which is to play to the opponent's exact level, and keep the game as close as possible before the inevitable win while causing everybody wearing crimson and white to suffer high blood pressure.

|I

The OL showed its true weakness. Brody will be sacked this season, and sacked often. He doesn't have the pocket sense or the legs to scramble effectively, and the big guys can't protect him on obvious passing downs.

Our DB's need some damn tar on their hands because we could have made off with a half dozen interceptions today if only we held onto the ball! Instead we get ONE :verymad

4th and 2 on the opening drive and you're in field goal range? KICK THE BALL. Don't count on momentum to carry you in a clutch because you just need to focus on points. You can press your luck later, when the chips are actually down. Shula can't make the big decisions.

CMJ
Sep 24th, 2005, 11:53:38 PM
Congrats Eb!

NT looked absolutely pitiful.

As far as other schools go. Michigan St actually WON after a big game. Maybe they'll be pretty good this season. Minnesota upset Purdue(sorry Figrin). Notre Dame beat their old coach. USC got a test for a half(was watching the game with some SC folks, and they were sweating it) before putting it away.

I'll probably post more extensive thoughts later, but it's been a long couple of days.

CMJ
Oct 1st, 2005, 07:54:46 PM
USC had a stern test today but pulled away late in Tempe. They still have acouple land mines out there, especially the way they've started the last 2 weeks.

Michigan State loses in OT to Michigan.

Alabama DESTROYED Florida. They looked amazing. Auburn also looks to be rounding into form. What a game that could be.

Penn State looks to be turning it around for Joe Paterno. It'd be great if they could make a run at the Big 10 and he could leave on top the way he deserves to. Huge game vs Ohio State next week.

I know there's more games I'd like to comment on, they're just escaping me right now :)

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 1st, 2005, 08:04:02 PM
ND is beating up on Purdue right now. Really they look like USC's biggest land Mind. That game in two weeks at South Bend will be huge. Alabama looks like they are going to be a very good team this year.

Sanis Prent
Oct 2nd, 2005, 02:57:59 AM
Originally posted by CMJ
Alabama DESTROYED Florida. They looked amazing. Auburn also looks to be rounding into form. What a game that could be.

I am kicking myself for not being at the Capstone this weekend :cry

Where the hell did that come from? I expected Bama to prevail against the Gators, but I never expected this. That was an obscene amount of beating.

Sanis Prent
Oct 2nd, 2005, 02:59:06 AM
ND is beating up on Purdue right now. Really they look like USC's biggest land Mind. That game in two weeks at South Bend will be huge.

Do you know what the Irish do best besides drinking heavily?

Choke.

(Hint: Notre Dame will not beat USC, not by a long shot)

CMJ
Oct 2nd, 2005, 11:36:28 AM
I think the Irish could give SC a tough game. Weiss will carve that defense.

Of course Leinart will shred ND's as well. Expect a 49-38 type of game.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 2nd, 2005, 05:24:46 PM
Originally posted by Sanis Prent
Do you know what the Irish do best besides drinking heavily?

Choke.

(Hint: Notre Dame will not beat USC, not by a long shot)

Choke? They have won several National titles they really haven't choked at least not when they were in their prime under Holtz and before that. Lately they haven't been in a position to choke as they are usually losing games :p

CMJ
Oct 4th, 2005, 02:05:40 PM
North Texas on ESPN2 tonight(7:30 EST). I'll actually skip the Yankee game. :smokin

CMJ
Oct 4th, 2005, 08:48:07 PM
Offense looked pathetic...defense nearly saved us. But our 26 game conference win streak is gone(13-10 Troy).

:x

Sanis Prent
Oct 5th, 2005, 07:09:29 AM
Choke? They have won several National titles they really haven't choked at least not when they were in their prime under Holtz and before that. Lately they haven't been in a position to choke as they are usually losing games :p

Note the most recent ND trends, which are to lose clutch games in the midst of their rallies.

CMJ
Oct 8th, 2005, 02:46:46 PM
Minnesota wins the Little Brown Jug!! Way to go Gophers. :)

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 8th, 2005, 04:38:02 PM
What about Texas? They finally beat OU which is a feat, of course OU isn't very good this year.

CMJ
Oct 8th, 2005, 09:04:07 PM
Penn State is back. What a win.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 8th, 2005, 10:42:07 PM
Yes that was something. It be nice to see Paterno go out a winner.

Sanis Prent
Oct 8th, 2005, 11:02:38 PM
What about Texas? They finally beat OU which is a feat, of course OU isn't very good this year.

I think you answered your question there.

Originally posted by CMJ
Penn State is back. What a win.

Yessss. Good. Good. >D

(Watches as Bama leapfrogs up the polls)

CMJ
Oct 8th, 2005, 11:42:36 PM
Oh, and UCLA is very good this season. The city championship could be epic.

Sanis Prent
Oct 9th, 2005, 10:24:59 AM
I'll give the Bruins better chances than the Irish actually. Not great chances, but still.

ASU was the trump card and it didn't get played :(. God is a USC fan :cry

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 9th, 2005, 04:31:51 PM
Originally posted by CMJ
Oh, and UCLA is very good this season. The city championship could be epic.

They will also have to go to Cal which has a good team too. They have really 3 hard games left. I bet they lose one.

Sanis Prent
Oct 9th, 2005, 04:41:07 PM
Cal isn't really that great of a team to be perfectly honest.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 9th, 2005, 04:49:20 PM
Its still in Cal, and I think they are a better team than ASU and Oregon, who each gave USC a tough game (Oregon for a half and ASU for a 3 qts).

Sanis Prent
Oct 9th, 2005, 06:11:21 PM
I don't think Cal is half as good as Oregon, and nowhere near ASU to be honest. They aren't really pulling much weight.

CMJ
Oct 9th, 2005, 08:06:26 PM
California was the last school to beat the Trojans.

Sanis Prent
Oct 9th, 2005, 08:16:55 PM
I'm not discounting the possibility, I'm just saying that there's not really anything unique that Cal brings to the table to differentiate themselves among the cut of USC's opponents, unlike say ASU.

The only team that can beat USC on their current schedule is...USC. If a team plays with a history of jackrabbit intensity in the first half, there's a chance they can eke out a massive upset.

Cal's done it...but look who they've done it against. That leaves a lot to convince, to be honest.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 9th, 2005, 08:18:46 PM
Cal beat up everybody they played this year up till that UCLA game. I think they are better than Oregon and ASU myself.

CMJ
Oct 9th, 2005, 08:23:27 PM
Of the three big games remaining for SC I'd say Cal has the least chance, but I do think in Berkely the danger is very real.

Sanis Prent
Oct 9th, 2005, 08:23:33 PM
They played the dregs of the PAC-10 and the dregs of conferences lesser than the aforementioned. Not a single opponent on their schedule before UCLA has a winning record.

So when a pass-spastic PAC-10 school puts up basketball numbers against B-team squads, that doesn't really mean a thing.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 9th, 2005, 08:24:39 PM
Originally posted by CMJ
Of the three big games remaining for SC I'd say Cal has the least chance, but I do think in Berkely the danger is very real.

Well I think in Cal it is tough that is why I think its possible.

CMJ
Oct 14th, 2005, 05:40:30 PM
The USC/Notre Dame hype actually has me believing the Irish have a real chance. It is reminding me of the FSU/ND game in 1993 when the experts didn't give the Domers much hope against the Noles even though they were #2.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 14th, 2005, 06:20:06 PM
I think they have a chance, should be great ball game.

General Dan
Oct 14th, 2005, 09:16:31 PM
It'll be a good game. Never denied that. I just don't think the Irish have it in them to play it through.

CMJ
Oct 14th, 2005, 09:31:21 PM
I watched the pep rally on ESPNEWS this evening before the ALCS game. I don't even really like ND and I was getting fired up. :lol

Sanis Prent
Oct 14th, 2005, 09:48:04 PM
Lets be honest. I hate USC, and I hate Notre Dame.

I hate Notre Dame because its in my genetic pedigree to hate them. I have hated them from the womb unto my adulthood. The self-professed darlings of the football world are a bunch of poll-rigging mick thugs who should've gotten the short end of the potato famine stick. Rudy is one of my favorite movies, but that is in spite of the fact that Notre Dame is involved. No self-respecting Alabama fan will ever forgive 1966, and no matter how many times we get to see Cornelius Bennett destroy Steve Buerlein, it doesn't atone for it.

That being said, to hell with USC. Seriously, open the ark of the covenant and rain plagues on the men of troy for a thousand years for being a bunch of pre-season golden children. I'm willing to make the most unholiest of alliances in order to see those punks burn.

That being said, I am a realist. I understand Notre Dame's recent trends, and the chances of their winning are not in their favor. There is the chance of a Fighting Irish renaissance, indeed. I mean, this is the era of Charlie Weiss. As much as I respected Tyrone Willingham, Weiss is supposedly in a league above. The Irish are also hungry, I admit. I know what it's like to be a part of a great franchise that's been out of the sun for too long. They become dangerous and unpredictable.

In the end, it's all on whether you trust the numbers, or try to believe beyond them. I hate USC, but I stop short of the leap of faith required to think the Irish can pull it off. It's too predictable.

CMJ
Oct 14th, 2005, 09:52:21 PM
I sorta like SC, always have. Now even more so having lived in LA for 4 years. Not really a fan of Notre Dame, but I'd love to see the upset this year. Especially in a storied rivalry like this.

Just makes good drama. And maybe opens the door for Penn State to make the Rose Bowl. ;)

Anbira Hicchoru
Oct 14th, 2005, 10:03:36 PM
Originally posted by CMJ
I sorta like SC, always have. Now even more so having lived in LA for 4 years. Not really a fan of Notre Dame, but I'd love to see the upset this year. Especially in a storied rivalry like this.

Just makes good drama. And maybe opens the door for Penn State to make the Rose Bowl. ;)

Now that I would love to see. There isn't a team in the Big Ten that I respect more than Penn St. Even if Joe Paterno is a cyborg/zombie/cultist

Also, CMJ stop being such a transplant :rolleyes stay true to the green! ;)

CMJ
Oct 14th, 2005, 11:06:35 PM
Don't worry about that. ;)

I listen to every game on the internet. We have Florida International(who?!) this weekend. I believe it's their first year in 1A. If we lose I'm gonna throw crap in my apartment. After four straight conference titles we were due for a season like the one this is shaping into.

I just don't talk about NT much because I know most of yall could care less. ;) Hell I'm going back next week for what was supposed to be Homecoming! But Katrina forced us to reschedule our game with LSU for the 29th, so my plane tickets were rendered obselete. I couldn't afford to change them, so I'm just gonna go hang out with my peeps and wish I could see my boys play.

Figrin D'an
Oct 15th, 2005, 12:48:44 AM
My hatred of Notre Dame stems from the general arrogance of their fans and their alumni/student body. I don't know how many of you here have ever been to South Bend, but I have. Nice stadium, gorgeous campus, but accompanying that is perhaps the most snooty and stuck-up attitude you will ever find among the colleges and universities of the US. There is an groupthink mentality that being a part of "Notre Dame" means one is automatically entitled to being a level above everyone else (and it extends well beyond football or sports in general). If you don't believe me, go there for a day and experience it for yourself. In the eyes of the Notre Dame students/alumni, if you're not a member of the Notre Dame family, then you're a second-rate hack who doesn't deserve the time of day. It goes far beyond the "rah, rah, we're #1" optimism that every campus has to some extent. It's not "school spirit" with Notre Dame. It's unadulterated elitism.

I don't necessarily like USC, but I hope that the Trojans stomp the Notre Dame into the ground, and don't stop until there is nothing left but an Irish green pile of goo. Irish fans will still be arrogant, but at least they be slapped back down to reality and shut their pie holes for a little while. (And maybe the media will quit stroking their overinflated egos quite so much... )

CMJ
Oct 15th, 2005, 07:58:03 AM
You want elitest snobs? Try the students/alumni/hangers on of the University of Texas. Or as they refer to themselves "The University". As in there is no other school in the state or country.

What a bunch of tools. Please Tech or A&M, you must beat them. I don't even want to consider the possibility of UT winning the National Title.

Anbira Hicchoru
Oct 15th, 2005, 10:11:52 AM
They have to, if only because I want nothing but plagues and locusts to fall on College Station under Franchione's rule. I don't hate the aggies, but they should all have their first born killed.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 15th, 2005, 10:35:10 AM
There are several schools that way, some body told me one of the Florida schools act the same way to opposing fans (I want to say Florida State but I am not sure). I think Notre Dame's issue is they were dominant for so long, especially back in the 40's-60's, and even had great teams back when Holtz was there. Of course that is just my speculation. I would like to see Notre Dame win, mainly for the same reason CMJ here is routing for them. I agree with you about Texas, I hope somebody beats them this year as well.

CMJ
Oct 15th, 2005, 10:42:38 AM
I wasn't kidding either. They really have shirts that just say The University in burnt orange. It doesn't help my hatred, that in the early days of NT(circa early 1900's) they tried to kill my school several times. >D

Anbira Hicchoru
Oct 15th, 2005, 01:34:02 PM
IT'S GOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:x I'm going to go have a heart attack now ^_^;

CMJ
Oct 15th, 2005, 05:43:35 PM
What a f'n game!

Anbira Hicchoru
Oct 15th, 2005, 05:46:23 PM
God is a USC fan :cry

I told you guys such. Only the divine could have caused such a completely BS ending such as that :cry

CMJ
Oct 15th, 2005, 06:20:46 PM
That was an outstanding game, start to finish. Coach Carrol has brass balls to go for the TD and not kick the FG with no timeouts left.

Jedieb
Oct 15th, 2005, 07:55:08 PM
I saw most of the second half and I have to say that was one hell of a finish. I was rooting for NT because they were the underdogs. You have to hand it to Leinert, he struggled at times, but he came through at the end. That 4th down completion was huge and the QB sneak for the win was a great play. But from what I've seen from USC this year I really think VA Tech can give them a run for their money if they get the chance.

CMJ
Oct 15th, 2005, 08:06:08 PM
Originally posted by Jedieb
I was rooting for NT

Everybody does. ;)

We won 13-10. What a crappy victory(both teams played dreadful), but I'll take it.

CMJ
Oct 15th, 2005, 09:54:27 PM
Penn State and Florida State go down as far as the undefeateds are concerned. So now we have Texas, Alabama, SC, UCLA, VA Tech, Georgia, & Texas Tech. One of these should be the National Champion.

Did I leave anyone out?

Anbira Hicchoru
Oct 15th, 2005, 10:13:42 PM
The crazy thing is that conference fratricide will guarantee that the undefeated pack will be cut in half before bowls even begin.

Jedieb
Oct 17th, 2005, 04:47:24 PM
Originally posted by CMJ
Everybody does. ;)

We won 13-10. What a crappy victory(both teams played dreadful), but I'll take it.

:lol
That damn team of yours shows up in the weirdest places. ;)
My Bulls lost to Pittsburgh and dropped to 3-3. :cry

Charley
Oct 22nd, 2005, 04:59:23 PM
Hell yes :cool

I'll take ugly wins, so long as its a win over Tennessee. The only way this day can improve is if Phil Fulmer is somehow killed on his way out of Tuscaloosa :)

CMJ
Oct 24th, 2005, 08:37:08 AM
Sorry I am out of town and wasn't able to post Saturday. Some great games Saturday. Probably the best was LSU/Auburn.

North Texas got beat like a rented mule. And we goto Tiger country this Saturday.

Jedieb
Oct 24th, 2005, 04:04:06 PM
Texas #1
USC #2

Way to go BCS!

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 24th, 2005, 04:55:55 PM
Well I am not surprised. However this year is why the BCS is a joke, VT and either Alabama or Georgia could go unbeaten and those two teams would get the shaft and have no chance at the national title. This is my problem with the system, I think they should adjust it and have a bowl after the bowls where the best two teams play that are left it could be like a mini-playoff. It isn't like that is going to hurt anybody.

Sanis Prent
Oct 24th, 2005, 07:32:42 PM
I think a 4 team playoff could work, insofar as it won't take too long, and I think expecting four quality unbeatens at the end of a season is about the most optimistic you can be.

Also, haha USC :lol

Jedieb
Oct 24th, 2005, 07:38:01 PM
If USC wins out, they'll pass Texas. Texas's schedule gets weaker as the season goes on. What could hurt USC is if teams like Notre Dame start dropping games. I really think we're going to have at least 3 undefeated teams this year. I hope we get a split championship. Something, ANYTHING that can help get us closer to a 4 team playoff. It's not that damn hard to work out. Like Sanis said, it's really only one extra game. You could just call it whatever bowl you like and rotate it the way the national championship game is rotated now.

Sanis Prent
Oct 24th, 2005, 07:52:59 PM
We'll have three unbeatens unless Zombie Miami somehow eats Va Tech.

Whoever wins USC vs UCLA (:rolleyes Guess who)
VT (assuming my theory does not come to pass)
Texas (The only thing that can beat them at this rate is a freak cattle stampede in Austin)

Nobody will survive the SEC. I already knew Georgia was hot air, but without Shockley they're Gator bait, and if not then Auburn's easily got their number. They're just not all that amazing.

Alabama's survived this season by the grace of God and a bag of pixie stardust. I am loving this season but I really don't know if the hits will keep coming. We've got what it takes to beat LSU and AU, but I really can't tell if it will show up on gametime.

CMJ
Oct 25th, 2005, 09:49:28 AM
I have serious doubts there will be more than 2 unbeatens this year. My current thinking is that it'll be USC/Va Tech. I see Georgia losing this week, Bama losing to LSU, UCLA to USC, and Texas to the Big XII North Champion.

I know Texas losing sounds nuts, but look at the history of the Big XII title game.

1996 - Texas(South)
1997 - Nebraska (North)
1998 - Texas A&M (South)
1999 - Nebraska (North)
2000 - Oklahoma (South)
2001 - Colorado (North)
2002 - Oklahoma (South)
2003 - Kansas State (North)
2004 - Oklahoma (South)

North is due. ;)

Jedieb
Oct 25th, 2005, 11:40:39 AM
I have serious doubts there will be more than 2 unbeatens this year. My current thinking is that it'll be USC/Va Tech. I see Georgia losing this week, Bama losing to LSU, UCLA to USC, and Texas to the Big XII North Champion.
for VA Tech's sake I hope that scenario plays out. But if we get 2 unbeatens at the end of the seasonI can only hope one of the polls steps up and awards a split championship. It just wouldn't be right to have an undefeated Hokie or Texas team twisting in the undefeated wind.

CMJ
Oct 30th, 2005, 08:40:23 AM
We're down to 5 undefeateds. Georgia went down yesterday. Texas got a scare for 3 quarters and UCLA barely survived again. Spurrier got a huge win for South Carolina and Michigan looks like they really have salvaged their season.

NT got destroyed by LSU, but we could still win conference if we win out thanks to Troy University going down again. ;)

Figrin D'an
Oct 30th, 2005, 09:27:58 AM
Texas' struggles with Ok. State will cost them the top spot in the BCS this week IMO. USC will move back to #1. Virginia Tech will gain ground, but it won't be enough to top Texas for #2.

UCLA apparently just doesn't like to play until the last part of the 4th quarter. As much as I give them credit for all those come-from-behind wins, that trend is going to bite them, and maybe even before the game against the Trojans.

The Hokies looked very, very good against BC on Thursday. If they beat Miami solidly next weekend, one can make a big case for them being #2.

I'm hoping Penn State wins the Big Ten. Next weekends showdown against Wisconsin will likely decide the conference title.

Purdue's streak of winning seasons/bowl games is over. The worst part is... it's the fault of the coaching staff IMO. With all of the talent they had returning, there's no excuse for being under .500 in the conference this late in the season, much less having no conference wins. If Tiller doesn't replace some of his staff with more capable people, the program will be going nowhere but downhill. They haven't won a legitimately "big" game since 2003, and even that one is debatable as to how big it really was. (If nothing else, the past several years have made me realize moreso just how good Drew Brees really was in college.)

CMJ
Oct 30th, 2005, 09:52:45 AM
Is Tiller on the hot seat now?

The coolest story for me yesterday was Rutgers breaking their bowl drought. With 6 wins they are almost certain to go somewhere.

Jedieb
Nov 5th, 2005, 03:52:55 PM
Take that Rutgers!!!!
USF 45
Rutgers 31
:crack

Sanis Prent
Nov 5th, 2005, 05:56:51 PM
Yay God hates Tennessee too! :D

Jedieb
Nov 5th, 2005, 07:52:38 PM
Wow, UCLA is just getting demolished. VA Tech is down 10-0, but at least they're not getting humiliated the way the Bruins are.

Sanis Prent
Nov 5th, 2005, 08:02:29 PM
GO CANES!

:x ugh it makes me sick to say that.

The enemy of my enemy is my friend :(

Jedieb
Nov 5th, 2005, 09:25:32 PM
They're getting humiliated right now. Wow, this is just brutal, 27-0 Canes and Blacksburg is silent. Except for the Canes fans chanting "Over-rated!" Man, a friend of mine is at the game and it'll be a miracle if security hasn't hauled him away alread.

CMJ
Nov 5th, 2005, 10:13:50 PM
Two undefeateds go down today. The BCS picture is alot clearer(for the Rose Bowl at least). Alabama can make their case if they run thru LSU, Auburn, and Georgia - but it really does look like SC/UT now.

Sanis Prent
Nov 6th, 2005, 11:45:56 AM
#3 in USA Today poll :)

CMJ
Nov 12th, 2005, 10:29:48 PM
Some amazing games in the SEC today. And two of the road teams won.

Auburn
LSU

Then there was South Carolina.

Wow.

Texas and USC both roll.

Colonel Karrnage
Nov 12th, 2005, 11:10:06 PM
Please don't bring it up. I'm drinking and angry.

CMJ
Nov 13th, 2005, 12:01:44 AM
Hey man, we went from 4 time conference champs to 3 league losses(so far).

http://firedarrelldickey.com/ has already been created. While I'm not THAT stupid(ummm four league titles has to account for something) so say it's been a disappointing season would be an understatement.

CMJ
Nov 20th, 2005, 02:50:31 AM
Some great games today. Including USC/Fresno State - a game I was lucky enough to see in person. Reggie Bush is even faster in person that he is on TV.

Figrin D'an
Nov 20th, 2005, 01:35:22 PM
Originally posted by CMJ
Some great games today. Including USC/Fresno State - a game I was lucky enough to see in person. Reggie Bush is even faster in person that he is on TV.

I think he cemented himself as the first or second pick in the Draft with his performance last night. Unbelievable speed and moves. He may have to bulk up a bit to be able to be a legit power running threat in the NFL, but he'll be a difference-maker in every other area.

Also, grats to JoePa and Penn State on winning the Big Ten title. Looks like they'll be headed to the Orange Bowl, likely to play the ACC Champ (probably either Florida State or Virginia Tech).

CMJ
Nov 20th, 2005, 01:43:47 PM
The run where he stopped on a dime...pulled the ball back...then went full speed again in about 3 steps was unreal.

California fans get a pretty deserved bad rap for being casual, laidback fans(I went to a Dodger game where the fans didn't arrive till about the 4th and left after the 7th inning stretch...WTF?!). But the Colesium was one of the loudest stadiums I've ever had the opportunity to see a game in.

Jedieb
Nov 20th, 2005, 04:57:58 PM
2 more wins and USF crashes the BCS party. Bring on UConn and West Virginia!!!! :crack

CMJ
Nov 20th, 2005, 06:56:21 PM
South Florida would be a helluva story. Your PROGRAM is only 9 years old.

CMJ
Dec 2nd, 2005, 07:54:22 PM
Guess I shoulda posted last week...oh well.

No one else did either.

Anyways, tommorrow is showdown Saturday. Now my personal experience living in Los Angeles for 4 years is that UCLA/USC is a big rivalry for HERE(which means it doesn't have a third of the passion that some of the biggies back home do). Hell I think SC gets more up for the Irish(that IS a big game).

However

The vibe in the city for the last week or two has been this building wave. Everyone is talking about it. Hell, even my non-sports friends are asking me about it. I'd even venture to say it's almost a fever pitch.

There's some other pretty good games on tap tommorrow(including the almost always classic Army/Navy) but the one that's most interesting is Downtown(Troy) vs Westwood(Bruin country).

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 2nd, 2005, 07:56:30 PM
Should be a heck of a game, between that one and the SEC championship game which should be great too. Only the big 12 game looks like a major mismatch.

CMJ
Dec 2nd, 2005, 08:00:30 PM
Fox Sports West 2 has been showing highlights of UCLA's and USC's seasons all day long. Seriously...a 24 hour marathon!

:lol

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 2nd, 2005, 11:18:52 PM
Heh I am not surprised.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 2nd, 2005, 11:27:28 PM
Even though I hate the BCS, I don't think this is where Congress should be spending our money.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2245440
And I thought the steriod scandal was a waste of time.

CMJ
Dec 5th, 2005, 10:20:43 AM
So officially it's SC vs UT for all the marbles on January 4th. Some other compelling matchups I'll touch on as Bowl season nears.

Hey, we wanna have a Bowl contest again this year?

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 5th, 2005, 11:07:07 AM
I am up for that. Also the ACC official stinks. Florida State will get killed by Penn State. They really don't belong in a major bowl game like that.

CMJ
Dec 5th, 2005, 12:00:55 PM
I wouldn't say the ACC sucks. Upsets happen in title games. Remember when unranked Texas beat Nebraska in the Big XII title game about 10 years ago? I wouldn't say the conference was terrible, the Horns just had breaks go there way and won.

Basically what happened to VA Tech.

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 5th, 2005, 01:23:35 PM
Well I might have overstated that it stinks, I just think it isn't what it was built up to be. People built up the ACC as one of the top 3 football conferences. This year I say its 4 or maybe even 5th, depending on how you stack the Big-12 against it.

CMJ
Dec 10th, 2005, 11:36:56 AM
Well the Heisman is awarded tonight. It appears for the first time in several years, my personal chice will win the award.

Reggie Bush.

(He was also my choice last year and finished 5th)

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 10th, 2005, 02:42:24 PM
I think he is going to win myself, I just think his performance was dominating this year. I think Young will finish second.

CMJ
Dec 10th, 2005, 08:17:13 PM
Bush wins.

I believe that makes 3 Trojans in 4 seasons. Geez!

Jedi Master Carr
Dec 10th, 2005, 08:38:37 PM
I know that is hard to believe.