PDA

View Full Version : Questions regarding Martial Law

Dakota Gue
Aug 6th, 2005, 12:13:57 AM
Martial Law - what exactly does that mean, and how quickly would it come into effect in Imperial Center following the news of the Emperors death?

I am following the thread "When A Ruler Dies" and also another one that is taking place on Corellia, **(will insert name when I find it again) to try to co-incide what happens with Denali and I as the city is hit with the news.

But if someone can just fasttrack me some generalities, it would be appreciated.

Edit: **I cant find this thread. If someone knows it, feel free to tell me. thx.

Tear
Aug 6th, 2005, 12:46:27 AM
Martial Law -

Temporary rule by military authorities, imposed on a civilian population especially in time of war or when civil authority has broken down. You'd see Troopers patrolling the streets, standing guard in public places or transportation facilities, I think there would probably be a curfew set in place.

Basically after the news of Endor the Empire Leaders (The main ones anyway) are dead. So the head of the beast is basically gone so to prevent any revolts or any civilians getting out of line Martial law was put in place.

It would come into effect immediately when ordered depending on how influenced the planet is by the Empire. I would give it around 24 hours though before anyone really felt the effects. This is on Coruscant though...

Telan Desaria
Aug 12th, 2005, 01:41:53 PM
Tear is right.

To give a more in depth explanation...

Martial Law is rule by the military. The populace surrenders its freedoms to attain security. In the event of martial law, all matters are subordinated to tactical and strategic concerns. Police forces (in this case the Imperial Civil Defense Force) would be placed under military control.

Transportation would be tightly controlled and all suspected trouble markers are rounded up and interrogated. Any found to be causing trouble are executed.

Simply put - -civilian authority is replaced by military authority. Those with concerns or comments or worst of all complaints are immediately viewed with suspicion and dealt with.

Tiberius Anar
Aug 12th, 2005, 02:03:34 PM
Telan and Tear has the generalities right. The exact provisions of Martial Law (curfews, patrol routes, restricted zones) are in the hands of the local Imperial chiefs- either the governor or Moff depending on the planet/system- who combine Military and Civil Authority. No point setting a nighttime curfew if a world does not have night, or restricting movement if everyone lives in bio-sheres.

As for the timing- it would be a ripple effect- sector capitals (specifically the city in which the Moffs are based) would be first along with Imperial Centre. The order would spread out from these places to affect the rest of the Empire. The first places (Imperial Centre and Sector Capitals it would be hours, the last places (those furthest from the government centres e.g. Outer Rim worlds far from the rest of civilization) days, possibly even a week or so. It's a big Galaxy.

Hera
Aug 13th, 2005, 01:29:57 PM
Thankyou gentlemen.

Telan Desaria
Aug 13th, 2005, 06:46:21 PM
welcome

Tiberius Anar
Aug 16th, 2005, 01:31:01 PM
Any time.