PDA

View Full Version : Dukes of Hazzard

CMJ
Aug 2nd, 2005, 11:35:49 PM
Let's just say I'm glad my screening was free.

That said, it seemed to please most audience members(including my +1) . I'm sure it'll do quite well.

o_O

General Dan
Aug 4th, 2005, 11:44:10 PM
I've heard some pretty good buzz on this. People I trust have said that it's very fun, but not fine china. So that fits the show.

I've heard good and bad things, but the good outweighs the bad.

Going to see it because Johnny Knoxville & Sean William Scott are hilarious. Also because Broken Lizard had a hand in the script, and there are apparently Broken Lizard cameos as well!

Jaime Tomahawk
Aug 5th, 2005, 12:02:16 AM
I hope this crapfest sends the makers broke.

jjwr
Aug 5th, 2005, 05:55:52 AM
I checked the IMDB credits and none of the cast members of Broken Lizard are listed as writing it but I know when I checked this out a few months ago their names were in there.

"Thorny' is directing it though and has a cameo as a campus cop.

JMK
Aug 5th, 2005, 06:39:16 AM
Originally posted by James Tomahawk
I hope this crapfest sends the makers broke.

Amen.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Aug 5th, 2005, 08:25:15 AM
I'm going to see this, and I'm going to have FUN seeing this. I don't care if it's a 'crapfest' or not. Most of the movies that myself and my friends get the most enjoyment out of aren't what you guys would consider cinematic masterpieces anyway. Heaven forbid I should enjoy the Smokey and the Bandit movies (yes, all three of them) more than Saving Private Ryan, LOTR, or any other movie in that 'grand life scope/what-have-you' genre.

But, to each their own.

Shawn
Aug 5th, 2005, 08:40:10 AM
I like bad movies in the form of campy horror flicks and the like. Can't say that I care for action-packed Hollywood remake #37.

But hey, everybody has their own thing. I bought Python (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0209264/) on DVD and I've been meaning to get House of the Dead (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0317676/), which was terribly fantastic. Or fantastically terrible. I'm not sure which. :D

JMK
Aug 5th, 2005, 08:42:59 AM
I would have been much less ticked off by this movie if they had just made a blatant rip-off of the Dukes of Hazzard and called it something else. They're really taking something that was great and making a mockery of it. Maybe it will be a fun movie but it's an unnecessary remake.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Aug 5th, 2005, 08:52:43 AM
Looks like I'ma have to get Python. I tried to get The Core, but Charley wouldn't let me :( I'll just have to snag it when he isn't looking.

And besides - remakes are the new fad these days; all the cool kids are seeing them. You want to be cool, don't you? Though, I probably won't be seeing CatCF anytime soon, I still want to see DoH if only because of the car chases.

JMK
Aug 5th, 2005, 08:56:35 AM
That's the one pleasant 'surprise' - that they actually used the Charger from the original series. I would have guessed that they would have used the new Charger as a product placement for Dodge.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Aug 5th, 2005, 09:05:46 AM
If they used a new Charger, just think of the absolute and unbridled fury of Hazzard fans everywhere. It wouldn't be the General Lee if they did something stupid like that.

Mandy with an I
Aug 5th, 2005, 09:07:13 AM
Originally posted by s'Ilancy

And besides - remakes are the new fad these days; all the cool kids are seeing them. You want to be cool, don't you? .

1980's = ossum, which is why everything most of us remember fondly from childhood is being bastardized today.

JMK
Aug 5th, 2005, 09:20:27 AM
Some fans of the original are already up in arms about the whole concept of this movie.

In fact, I'm sure most of you have heard about this already:

http://www.cootersplace.com/news_movie.asp

Unfortunately I think this plea of his will fall on deaf ears. He's preaching to the choir.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Aug 5th, 2005, 09:31:03 AM
I don't know whether to laugh or roll my eyes, sadly. As it is, I just about snorted my orange juice all over the monitor.

I'm not trying to be all 'haha, sex joke stupid southerner', but I just - ah hell, who am I kidding. I'm a shallow 24 year old who'd laugh at any dirty potty joke :\

ninja edit - Seriously though, I just want to see car chases and cool car stunts. I could really care less about any sort of plot in a movie such as this, just as long as the General Lee kicks up some mud.

Daiquiri
Aug 5th, 2005, 11:05:02 AM
Originally posted by JMK
I would have been much less ticked off by this movie if they had just made a blatant rip-off of the Dukes of Hazzard and called it something else. They're really taking something that was great and making a mockery of it. Maybe it will be a fun movie but it's an unnecessary remake.

Exactly!!

I dont even think it will be fun. Ive watched the previews and what I can see of 'Bo', he looks to be nothing more than just another relative of someone from 'Deliverance'.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Aug 5th, 2005, 12:25:40 PM
Come on guys, when a show starts off with "Just the good ol' boys,
Never meanin' no harm, Beats all you've ever saw, been in trouble with the law since the day they was born", you don't honestly expect a movie being made about it to be the next Oscar winner, do you? Just as Zasz said about Stealth, check you brain at the door and enjoy it in the sense that it's just a goofy movie with awesome car stunts.

JMK
Aug 5th, 2005, 12:54:02 PM
I wish it were that simple. Like I said, if they swap the names, change the car and call the movie something else, I could handle it. Imagine if someone tried to remake the old Star Trek series, complete with a new casting of Spock, Kirk etc. It wouldn't hold any water because those other actors left indelible impressions in people's minds. Tom Wopat, John Schneider, Catherine Bach, Ben Jones, Denver Pyle etc are STILL those characters, and to me this movie is a lame attempt at supplanting those faces. And unfortunately it's going to probably work. Heck, even when there was the contract dispute in the 81-82 season and they brought in Coy and Vance Duke, no one cared because it wasn't the original boys. It just didn't work because the originals were that good.

I can and often leave my brain at the door for many movies, but I can't just turn off the switch that says "I've seen this before, and it was waaaay better".

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Aug 5th, 2005, 01:03:55 PM
Well, I suppose it pretty much comes down to personal taste and what people remember of the originals. I mean, there are remakes that I loved (Beverly Hillbillies) even after the fact that I religiously watched the series at my grandparent's house, and there are remakes that I could care less about (Starsky and Hutch) even if Snoop Dogg was the only redeeming value of that flick.

I'm pretty much only going for the General Lee, anyways :)

JMK
Aug 5th, 2005, 01:09:04 PM
That's one awesome car, that's for sure. It's a shame they've had to destroy SO many of them over the years for stunts.

You're right about Starsky & Hutch though. That was a movie that was begging to be redone, but they totally dropped the ball on that too.

When they first announced that they were remaking the Dukes, I was amped up for that. When news slowly started coming out about who was going to portray the characters, I was still ok with it. I was on board until then (though I always had a problem with Burt Reynolds as Boss Hogg). But when I first saw the trailer, my heart sank like a stone. Oh well, like you said, to each his or her own.

Daiquiri
Aug 5th, 2005, 01:29:29 PM
Actually, I think Burt Reynolds will make a good Boss Hogg and even though I absolutely cannot stand willie Nelson, I think he'll be great as Uncle Jesse.

What I cant stand so far is that from what I can see, theyve made Bo and Luke so incredibly....STOOPID. Plus, I dont care for the actors they chose to portray them, especially for Bo.

JMK
Aug 5th, 2005, 01:41:21 PM
Yeah, while the Duke's weren't nuclear physicists, they weren't stupid. These 2 seem like they're closer to Harold & Kumar than Bo & Luke. I don't care much for Stiffler and Knoxville either, but given the talent pool these days, I don't know who they would have gotten. That's why I was ok with their castings.

Sanis Prent
Aug 5th, 2005, 02:26:33 PM
What exactly is so untalented about Johnny Knoxville anyway?

JMK
Aug 5th, 2005, 02:29:30 PM
Shooting oneself with tasers and .38s is not a skill. Nor is being second fiddle to the Rock.

Sanis Prent
Aug 5th, 2005, 03:36:32 PM
Being able to deadpan while doing just that on a first take (who gets second takes with something that insane) takes a great deal of focus, I think.

Daiquiri
Aug 5th, 2005, 06:04:24 PM
Id rather have seen Ben Stiller as Luke Duke than Knoxville. Someone who would be good in the part is the guy who does the young Superman in 'Smallville'.

As for the part of Bo...anyone wouldve been better!

jjwr
Aug 5th, 2005, 08:37:04 PM
Taking a shot from tasers to the balls while giving a line doesn't make someone a good actor :)

General Dan
Aug 5th, 2005, 09:03:34 PM
It also doesn't disprove acting prowess either.

Plus, its a hell of a lot better than sticking Ben Stiller in "Comedy Movie Number 342"

Also, for God's sake, its the Dukes of Hazzard. I realize there are old people here, but the TV shows you watched when you were our age weren't all that great to begin with.

Dukes the show was about good ol' boys, car chases, and girls with short shorts.

Dukes the movie looks to have good ol' boys, car chases, and girls with short shorts.

Are you really going to split hairs over this? Is there such a thing as a cheap beer critic?

Morgan Evanar
Aug 5th, 2005, 09:10:12 PM
Jeez it's a silly flick, what's the point of bashing it? I'm going to see it because it was my favorite show along with transformers when I was five and Burt Reynolds as Boss Hog is a great casting.

Hera
Aug 5th, 2005, 09:10:53 PM
LIke I said an another thread, I probably will never see this movie. Not even on a desperate movie-rent night.

Just not my kind of humor.

Sren Frvoskit
Aug 5th, 2005, 09:11:52 PM
I need help! I have no idea what to do *cry*

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 10th, 2005, 01:12:00 AM
This movie can be described with two words.

YEEEEE-HAAAAW!

I thought it was hilarious, and the cast was pretty good with the notable exception of Jessica Simpson. To say she can't act is kind.

Also, there is a terrific cameo by the Broken Lizard guys. The car chases are awesome.