PDA

View Full Version : Vacation

Karl Valten
Jul 28th, 2005, 11:07:07 AM
I will be off camping in the wilderness of Yellowstone National Park from August 6-August 15 and as such, won’t be able write up any posts for my chars(Karl, Teleran, Zharoel, Naomi, Eidolon). I just want to make sure the people that I’m currently roleplaying with don’t think I’ve quit, been kidnapped, or been mauled by flying monkeys.

People this will affect:

Tear
Y’roth Helghast
Victor Crestmere
Rial Idallo
Bishop Frost
Danni Reyok
Anna Darel
Kyashi
Jacen
Spada Elhow
Estelle Russard
Yun Tilgraze
Grace Van-Derveld
Oriadin
Baralai Lotus

Estelle Russard
Jul 28th, 2005, 09:49:04 PM
We shall just have to make you our posting slave unti you leave!

But I guess its ok for you to take a vacation :)

Sounds great, Karl. ps) Do not feed the bears.

Sudoku
Jul 28th, 2005, 09:50:59 PM
I'll be on vacation then too :D So no worries. Have fun :)

Tear
Jul 28th, 2005, 11:41:32 PM
What!? Not allowed.

Unless theres ladies involved. In that case I insist on the camping trip.

P.S feed the bears they love it.

Karl Valten
Aug 14th, 2005, 10:41:54 AM
YES I finally made back to my humble home of Wisconsin after driving for 19 hours straight. It'll take a few more days before I get caught up with everything.

Trip overview:

First day head to Chamberlain, S.D. to meet up with a bunch of friends. Second day, swing through the badlands and stop in Wall, S.D on the way to Custer, S.D. Third day, stick in the Black Hills and see Mount Rushmore. Fourth day we hightailed it to Yellowstone. Next three days we stayed in Yellowstone. Drove back to Wisconsin for two days.

Highlights:

*A buffalo walked by my car so close that I could've rolled down the window and touched him.
*Getting pictures taken at on of them old fashioned sepia tone places in cowboy dress and such. (pictures up late) This one was great, my sister looks absolutely hilarious as a barmaid....in my humble opinion at least.
*Old Faithful, what more is there to say.
*Hiking through spectacular terrain.
*Stopping for fudge at Wall, S.D.
*My sister reffering to the three NPC I use for Project Nightmare as the three stooges.
*Photoshoping everyone's face onto Mount Rushmore.
*Eating Buffalo steaks....mmmmm
*No work or other such oblitations

Downside:

*Didn't see any bears, moose, or marmots.
*Roads in Minnesota sucked.(no offense to anyone living there)
*Camper batteries died= no lights, heater, or other electrical equipment.
*First the temp. stayed in the 100+zone then droped to the 40's.
*Really friggin cold in Yellowstone. (Heater not working, sleeping bags sucked)
*Truck broke down twice on the way back home. The radiator cap broke so the engine was flooded with coolant and water and couldn't find a repair shop that had the part we needed. Finally got the fixed and a 150 miles or so later, the control relay shorts out from the water the radiator sprayed in the engine compartment.

I might get a couple of photos up a bit later.

Khendon Sevon
Aug 14th, 2005, 11:59:11 AM
Originally posted by Karl Valten
Downside:

*Didn't see any bears, moose, or marmots.
*Roads in Minnesota sucked.(no offense to anyone living there)
*Camper batteries died= no lights, heater, or other electrical equipment.
*First the temp. stayed in the 100+zone then droped to the 40's.
*Really friggin cold in Yellowstone. (Heater not working, sleeping bags sucked)
*Truck broke down twice on the way back home. The radiator cap broke so the engine was flooded with coolant and water and couldn't find a repair shop that had the part we needed. Finally got the fixed and a 150 miles or so later, the control relay shorts out from the water the radiator sprayed in the engine compartment.

Sounds like you should've gone "camping", not "campering." There's nothing more satisfying than carrying a full frame pack for twenty miles, setting up a nice, low impact campsite, and cooking some good old camp food with one of the various gas stoves available (white gas is God when you need to pack light and have a powerful punch… and if you’re going to be doing a lot of moving around, light packing is a must!).

Makes me wish I had time to go to the Appalachians or Adirondacks this year. Never forget the bear bag, that’s an important element in any safe trip. (Last time I was in the Adirondacks, our bear box was attacked. Luckily, military surplus ammo canisters are very, very well built. That was at a perminent campsite, of course).

;) Glad to see you enjoyed yourself in the great outdoors.

Hera
Aug 14th, 2005, 07:15:32 PM
Welcome back!

Trip sounds great (though the truck breaking down sounds like considerable vexation).

I would like to do a road trip all through there - Mt Rushmore etc. Would be great to see.

Looking forward to seeing some of your photos. Those oldtime-sepia photos are fun to get.

Karl Valten
Aug 14th, 2005, 08:00:27 PM
Originally posted by Khendon Sevon
Sounds like you should've gone "camping", not "campering." There's nothing more satisfying than carrying a full frame pack for twenty miles, setting up a nice, low impact campsite, and cooking some good old camp food with one of the various gas stoves available.

Yeah I know, last year I went backpacking in the Canadian Rockies. But I was stuck with a bunch of people that would moan and groan the whole way as well as a six year old that would get too board.

Originally posted by DarthHERA
I would like to do a road trip all through there - Mt Rushmore etc. Would be great to see.

A word of advice. DO NOT plan a vacation in the Black Hills/Badlands/Yellowstone region during the Sturgis Bike Rally. I swear I saw about 20,000 bikes total, and we never went near Sturgis.

Tear
Aug 15th, 2005, 02:10:36 AM
Originally posted by Karl Valten
Yeah I know, last year I went backpacking in the Canadian Rockies. But I was stuck with a bunch of people that would moan and groan the whole way as well as a six year old that would get too board.

Consider yourself lucky. My assassins were eaten by bears...

Khendon Sevon
Aug 15th, 2005, 11:01:40 AM
*Opens tent flap* "Time to wake up!"

Howe (wrapped up in a mummy bag with face barely visible): "Hey guys, last night... I was eaten by a bear."

Ah, the delirium of camping :)

Karl Valten
Sep 5th, 2005, 02:27:45 PM
Well after God knows how long, I've finally got a few images onto my computer and some even in a photobucket album.

http://photobucket.com/albums/a105/Hockeyman506/?action=view&current=trip1.jpg

Hera
Sep 5th, 2005, 08:48:22 PM
Great photo