PDA

View Full Version : Cortesis (sp) ore

Hera
Jul 26th, 2005, 10:35:47 PM
Can someone tell me exactly what it is, who has it etc? (And how to spell it - I cant google it or "search" it because I cant spell it properly) :\

ps) I know the basic that its the only thing that can withstand a lightsaber blade.

Ryan Pode
Jul 27th, 2005, 03:22:03 PM
This unsusual ore was known to repel the energy of a lightsaber blade. It was believed that Emperor Palpatine had some of the walls in the Imperial Palace on Coruscant lined with cortosis. The Jensaarai sect also used strands of this ore to layer their unique armor. Using the Force, they wove the cortosis into the shapes of vicious, predatory animals, making their armor forbidding as well as better able to defend themselves. The Chiss also knew of the strengths of cortosis, and used it in the walls that formed the Hand of Thrawn fortress on Nirauan. Despite its resistance to the blade of a lightsaber, cortosis was unstable in the presence of explosives, and would shatter if hit with a grenade.

It's found around.

Hera
Jul 27th, 2005, 08:37:01 PM
thankyou, muchly :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 27th, 2005, 11:22:52 PM
Cortosis ore is fibrous, and too brittle to be used to make weapons of any kind.

Boba Fett
Jul 28th, 2005, 12:41:14 PM
It is heard that Vader had cortosis in his armor, hence why Luke's lightsaber deflected from his shoulder during their battling on Cloud City's catwalk.

Otherwise, his lightsaber would have sliced clean through his arm.

So I hear.

Figrin D'an
Jul 28th, 2005, 06:38:58 PM
Originally posted by Boba Fett
It is heard that Vader had cortosis in his armor, hence why Luke's lightsaber deflected from his shoulder during their battling on Cloud City's catwalk.

Otherwise, his lightsaber would have sliced clean through his arm.

So I hear.

I'm not sure about the accuracy of this, given that in the EU (in which cortosis is first introduced), it's explained that the reason the ore is somewhat effective against lightsabers is it causes a feedback in the emitter unit, causing in the blade to shut down.

As was mentioned, it's rather brittle, and is difficult to process. Making a bladed weapon out of it is essentially impossible.

Boba Fett
Jul 29th, 2005, 08:05:25 AM
I'm not sure of the accuracy of it either as in the comics, lightsabers are shut down when it hits cortosis.

At the time it sounded logical until I remembered. Still, doesn't explain why Luke's blade didn't slice through Vader's shoulder.

JMK
Jul 29th, 2005, 11:57:42 AM
It didn't slice through because that's the way it was written. It was a glancing blow I guess. The EU has no bearing on what happened in the movies. If Lucas hasn't stated that Vader's armor is made from this cortesis stuff, then there's no validity to it.

Doc Milo
Jul 29th, 2005, 10:38:10 PM
Plus, in RotS, General Grevious' guards have these energy pikes or whatever you call them, and the lightsabers didn't cut through them, even when hit in areas not covered by the energy. Are they made of this substance (it's been stated above that weapons can't be made of it because it's too brittle) or that substance is not the only substance that can withstand a lightsaber...