PDA

View Full Version : Ysalimiri

Akrabbim
Jul 25th, 2005, 03:02:04 PM
Do we have these little buggers or not? I've heard from some of the mods that we don't, but I've heard that there are RPs with them existing. Which is it?

Navaria Tarkin
Jul 25th, 2005, 03:35:36 PM
to clear this up... made a post in the admin forum to get an answer once and for all

Daanarri Meorrrei
Jul 25th, 2005, 05:04:58 PM
I've never heard that we don't use them here. :huh

Navaria Tarkin
Jul 25th, 2005, 05:06:55 PM
The confusion stemmed from having bushles of the critters roaming around previously. In the end, having them around will probably just be on a limited basis.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 25th, 2005, 05:29:32 PM
What mod told you that we didn't have them?? O_o

Its not something that's been regulated in any way in the past, AFAIK. Only, it is something that could be considered godmoding (like if your character has like fifty yslamiri in their basement, or suddenly pulls one out of a backpack.)

The nutrient frames (necessary for transporting the furry salamanders/sloth ysalamiri) in our current galaxy would be the very heavy, bulky frames that we first read about in the Thrawn Trilogy. in the old Swfans some had surmised that technology had progressed to the point that the frames were made smaller and more portable, but there is no reason at all to RP like this in our new timeline.

Navaria Tarkin
Jul 25th, 2005, 05:31:24 PM
What mod told you that we didn't have them??

Me :p based upon talking to another mod

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 25th, 2005, 05:45:38 PM
Oh.

Droo
Jul 26th, 2005, 06:16:56 AM
I wouldn't say there's any point in being rid of them. How many people in recent memory have any of us seen abusing their existence? We should never try to restrict any aspects of roleplaying unneccessarily but rather should deal with these things on a case by case basis since they are so rare.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 26th, 2005, 12:45:32 PM
There was a time here when everyone was claiming to walk around with Ysalamiri on them and yes, it was out of hand.

Please remember that they are very rare and very difficult to take care of. Also, since we aren't acknowledging the Thrawn trilogy here (our galaxy takes place before it), then it's quite possible that few people would even know they exist in the first place.

Basically, if you want to use one make it realistic, and if you have a question, PM or IM a moderator to find out.

Sorsha Kasajian
Jul 26th, 2005, 01:57:28 PM
Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
There was a time here when everyone was claiming to walk around with Ysalamiri on them and yes, it was out of hand.

Please remember that they are very rare and very difficult to take care of. Also, since we aren't acknowledging the Thrawn trilogy here (our galaxy takes place before it), then it's quite possible that few people would even know they exist in the first place.

Basically, if you want to use one make it realistic, and if you have a question, PM or IM a moderator to find out.

It never stopped me from splutting the little peskies, but what lolly said is right.

Akrabbim
Jul 26th, 2005, 02:07:38 PM
Thanks. I appreciate it. That helps me a lot.

Drin Kizael
Jul 27th, 2005, 07:19:42 AM
Do we need a similar ruling on cortosis ore?

Zahn had established that it was incredibly brittle and useless for refining. Yet the comics, RPers/fanfic, and I believe some video games invented the concept of lining something with cortosis o_O

The prequels did establish that force-field and custom energy melee weapons can be capable of parrying a lightsabre. So I'm hoping that's enough justification to return cortosis ore to the way it was originally intended.

Akrabbim
Jul 27th, 2005, 09:08:37 AM
Well, also, cortosis was just Lightsaber resistant. It wouldn't shut down a saber, just resist it.

And since we're on the topic of stuff that'll stand up to a saber, are my katanas still allowed? They're saber-proof, and basically indestructible, but that's it. They're razor-sharp, but they're not gonna be cutting through a durasteel door unless I have a few weeks to whack at 'em. They still kosher?

Drin Kizael
Jul 27th, 2005, 09:20:14 AM
Personally I'd like to see some kind of technical explanation put into a weapon of that type. In my tabletop RPG, I made a bounty hunter with magnetic shielded blades for dealing with Jedi. Ironically he was killed by a resourceful (read: knack of half-baked plans somehow working out) smuggler, but I digress.

Episode 3 had a weapon that looked like a plain old pike, but the flashing tips was all the justification I needed to buy parrying a lightsaber.

If it's just the metal, then people will want everything to be made out of it. No matter how much you try to justify it, someone else -will- find it and mass produce it... or create drama for the mods by asking for it as well.

But a custom-fit force field generator would be a nice (albeit highly illegal, insanely expensive, and possibly hard to repair) addition to a Jedi-hunter's weapon arsenal.

Akrabbim
Jul 27th, 2005, 01:59:31 PM
Well, the stuff I used was basically remnants of quantum metal which took several days of concentrated effort to forge into a sword. I did the same for the second sword I made later. It seemed to work. No one exploited it.

General Dan
Jul 27th, 2005, 09:53:57 PM
Just use Phrik alloy, since the Sun Crusher hasn't really been discovered at this point.

Akrabbim
Jul 27th, 2005, 10:16:05 PM
Works for me. I'll just use the same backstory for having them.

Drin Kizael
Jul 28th, 2005, 06:43:56 AM
Both make sense to me. I'd make it a month to forge, but only because that's how long it takes to make a lightsaber properly. IRL, fine swords take months (plural) to make as well.

Akrabbim
Jul 28th, 2005, 10:04:13 AM
Made them before. I'm assuming that, since we can keep our ranks after the reset, we can keep our weaponry.

And, according to "I, Jedi", a lightsaber takes FAR less than a month to make. Around a day or so, if memory serves.

Daiquiri
Jul 28th, 2005, 11:29:52 AM
I had read that it takes several days to a month to make a lightsaber.

Zasz Grimm
Jul 28th, 2005, 12:12:52 PM
You could have the same results with mandalorian ore. Saber resistant- but it's said that since it was so rare, it wasn't really a viable means of a weapon, especially in the form of a sword. A staff, sure..maybe. But it'd be heavy as hell (I believe this was the consensus.)

Unless were allowing certain things in that weren't before?

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 28th, 2005, 01:20:10 PM
we are not allowing things that weren't allowed before, AFAIK.

Zasz Grimm
Jul 28th, 2005, 02:11:05 PM
we are not allowing things that weren't allowed before, AFAIK.

I don't believe Mandalorian ore was ever ruled out, persay. It was just said to get enough to make it..useful, you'd have to do a rather lengthy RP...

Isn't that about right?

Akrabbim
Jul 28th, 2005, 03:24:18 PM
Well, I had full RPs both times I made a sword. I'm assuming I don't have to do that again to get my old weapons back, right?

Zasz Grimm
Jul 28th, 2005, 04:48:17 PM
Originally posted by Akrabbim
Well, I had full RPs both times I made a sword. I'm assuming I don't have to do that again to get my old weapons back, right?

With how the reset works, I'm assuming you'd be fine.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 28th, 2005, 06:40:05 PM
You're fine, Ak.

Akrabbim
Jul 28th, 2005, 09:34:11 PM
You're fine, Ak.

Well, I really appreciate the compliment, but I'm engaged. I don't think my fianceé would be pleased with that comment. Let's be professionals here.

Oh... oh! My character! Gotcha. :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 29th, 2005, 12:32:29 AM
yeah, and I'm married, smart-butt.

Sanis Prent
Jul 29th, 2005, 12:51:32 AM
yeah, and I'm married, smart-butt.

I guess you must've forgotten about our time alone in the south passage, when you expressed your true feelings for me ;)

Liam Jinn
Jul 29th, 2005, 01:03:17 AM
pfffft, unoriginal nerf herders always use that line :rolleyes

(used it myself a few times, but er, I was original) :p

Akrabbim
Jul 29th, 2005, 09:27:35 AM
Oh, take a joke... it made me chuckle. :)

Telan Desaria
Jul 29th, 2005, 01:39:44 PM
How come no one is ever alone with me in the South Passage?????

I mean c'mon - - I'm a Grand Admiral!!! Who would not want me - -after all, I am loveably pompous according to S'Il.

Daiquiri
Jul 29th, 2005, 02:04:51 PM
Originally posted by Telan Desaria
How come no one is ever alone with me in the South Passage?????

I mean c'mon - - I'm a Grand Admiral!!! Who would not want me - -after all, I am loveably pompous according to S'Il.

Exactly! You are a Grand Admiral! When have you ever been in the South Passage?

Telan Desaria
Jul 30th, 2005, 10:04:48 AM
En route to the north passage.

heheh - -ba dum bum - CHING

Daiquiri
Jul 30th, 2005, 01:42:08 PM
:lol