PDA

View Full Version : V for Vendetta

Droo
Jul 22nd, 2005, 08:01:54 PM
I've heard mention of this film before but have never looked it up. That is to say, until I saw the trailer just a few moments ago. Now I am inclined to look into this film much more, it looks thrilling, and it's nice to see Natalie Portman's acting flourish once more now she is free of - ahem - wooden dialogue. :uhoh

While Hugo Weaving's leading character alongside Portman, V, seems interesting, what I am most fascinated by is this "Uncompromising Vision of the Future". Ever since reading Orwell's 1984, I have had an interest in any work of fiction which deals with alternate future's and governments and this is no different. And I love this line:

"I want everyone to remember why they need us!"

It just gave me shivers, plus the fact that they used music from the Batman Begins soundtrack helped too. :D

Check it out:

http://vforvendetta.warnerbros.com/trailer.html

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 22nd, 2005, 09:04:42 PM
Looks like it might be a good movie. It is based on a comic book right?

Morgan Evanar
Jul 23rd, 2005, 12:49:25 AM
I think it's an Moore book, but I'm not sure. I've been told it's excellent.

http://www.shadowgalaxy.net/Vendetta/vmain.html

Morgan Evanar
Jul 25th, 2005, 03:25:18 PM
Having heard more about the script the Wachoskis missed the point! Surprise!

Shawn
Jul 26th, 2005, 08:54:12 AM
Alan Moore in an interview talked about how this movie was, stylistically, becoming a horrible mess of how Americans view England to be.
Alan gave some details about bits of the V For Vendetta shooting script he'd seen. "It was imbecilic; it had plot holes you couldn't have got away with in Whizzer And Chips in the nineteen sixties. Plot holes no one had noticed."

What Moore found most laughable however were the details. "They don't know what British people have for breakfast, they couldn't be bothered. 'Eggy in a basket' apparently. Now the US have 'eggs in a basket,' which is fried bread with a fried egg in a hole in the middle. I guess they thought we must eat that as well, and thought 'eggy in a basket' was a quaint and Olde Worlde version. And they decided that the British postal service is called Fedco. They'll have thought something like, 'well, what's a British version of FedEx... how about FedCo? A friend of mine had to point out to them that the Fed, in FedEx comes from 'Federal Express.' America is a federal republic, Britain is not."That said, Moore may just trying to be distancing himself from the movie, due to bad experiences with past movies based on his works (LXG, Constantine). I've heard mixed reactions regarding the script so far. I think I'd still like to go see it and form my own opinion. I just get the feeling that this is going to be HHGTTG all over again.

Mu Satach
Jul 27th, 2005, 07:12:28 PM
HHGTTG?

Liam Jinn
Jul 27th, 2005, 07:16:23 PM
hitch hikers guide to the galaxy

Mu Satach
Jul 27th, 2005, 09:41:39 PM
Ahhh... still haven't had the urge to see it after sitting through the trailers. I have a sincere belief that Hollywood destroy's almost everything they import with their money making graphs they learned in business school.

Dasquian Belargic
Aug 16th, 2005, 01:23:38 PM
I saw the trailer before The Island and couldn't take the masked man seriously.

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 6th, 2005, 04:12:55 AM
This movie was supposed to open on Nov. 4th. It didn't. What happened to it?

Dasquian Belargic
Nov 7th, 2005, 09:57:34 AM
IMDB says it's due out in March 06.

Would have made more sense to bring it out last weekend o_O

Lilaena De'Ville
Nov 7th, 2005, 09:58:17 AM
I smell a re-cut of the movie. Must not have tested well - can't figure out why THAT MASK IS SO CREEPY AND NOT HERO LIKE.

Jedieb
Nov 7th, 2005, 10:00:29 AM
March?! Wow, that's a pretty big bump. It looks interesting and despite hearing some negative buzz on it I was looking forward to seeing it. On DVD though, I don't think I'll be running out to the theater to catch it.

Droo
Jan 3rd, 2006, 07:51:03 PM
The second trailer is out. I've heard some great things about this film, personally, and everything I see enthuses me more in its favour. I cannot wait to see Hugo Weaving in this new role. That man is a master of line delivery. :D

Here's a link to both the first and second trailer:

http://vforvendetta.warnerbros.com/trailer.html

JMK
Jan 3rd, 2006, 08:37:35 PM
Looks great! My first anticipated release of '06! :)

Draken Chakara
Jan 4th, 2006, 10:23:35 AM
I just read the graphic novel recently... it's VERY good, and they did a really neat thing with the mask.

Zasz Grimm
Feb 10th, 2006, 06:31:59 PM
Two words.

Hugo Weaving.

I'm their.

Jedieb
Feb 10th, 2006, 11:00:04 PM
John Hurt gets to be Big Brother this time.
I'm there.

Jedi Master Carr
Feb 10th, 2006, 11:52:43 PM
I am really interested in seeing this, I saw some pics and an article in EW today it looks like it could be a great movie.

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 17th, 2006, 10:39:04 PM
THIS WAS FANTASTIC.

I highly reccommend. 5 out of 5 stars.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 17th, 2006, 11:07:48 PM
I really want to see it, I think about seeing this weekend or during the week.

Rutabaga
Mar 18th, 2006, 08:27:36 AM
I was probably going to see it tomorrow, but I came down with a cold yesterday, so no moviegoing for me this weekend. Maybe next weekend, though :).

Vega Van-Derveld
Mar 18th, 2006, 12:05:30 PM
I have heard some really stinking reviews of this... but I still can't resist the dystopian future angle, so I'll probably end up seeing it regardless.

JMK
Mar 18th, 2006, 12:09:59 PM
I thought it was ok...a little too long, and a little too wordy a la Wachowski bros. Frankly I was hoping for more but it is worth seeing in theaters.

Mitch
Mar 19th, 2006, 02:10:54 AM
Excellent translation from comic to film, and I loved it.

Great movie, and while it may have been a little wordy at times, it was justified and never felt dull.

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 19th, 2006, 12:42:24 PM
I could listen to Hugo Weaving rant all day. :love

Wyl Staedtler
Mar 20th, 2006, 03:46:24 AM
I just got back from seeing it and I'm still too keyed up to write anything comprehensive yet. Loved it. Loved Hugo's opening monologue, loved the 1812 overture, loved the expressiveness of the mask, Portman.

I'm going to bed to bask in it.

Droo
Mar 20th, 2006, 08:04:55 AM
I am so thoroughly pleased with how this film turned out. When I first heard about it and saw the teaser, I was very very excited. Then I heard negative things about it in reviews and such. This was a good thing because it lowered my anticipation levels for the film, allowing it to really suprise and impress me.

Loved every bloody moment of it. Best film of the year by far for me, thus far.

Some moments that need particular mention:

The entire scene between the doctor and V in her bedroom, particularly her apology - it was quite profound and touching and avoided the cliché of all his enemies feeling no regret.

The dominos falling montage gave me a real thrill and was very well timed dramatically and visually. The overall pace of them film never onced faltered for me.

The letters Evey recieves from the "prisoner" in the next cell was completely unexpected and very moving. Had me tearing up a little. I was very impressed with the strong human elements to this film. I actually expected the film to be a little colder and I'm very pleased it wasn't.

The black bags and specifically the scene in which Stephen Fry's character is taken away. That made me very cold and the imagery of him sharing his last glance at Evey before being bagged was startling.

And of course, the glorious glorious 1812 finale. Need I say anymore about that?

Rutabaga
Apr 2nd, 2006, 04:12:02 PM
I finally saw the movie today, and I liked it quite a bit. I really liked the fact that it wasn't your stereotypical one-dimensional mindless action-adventure movie. It had ideas and dialogue about ideas, which is a nice thing...yes, there was lots and lots of talk, but I never have any objections to hearing Hugo Weaving talk :). I was especially blown away by his soliloquy early in the movie with the "v" alliteration, I couldn't help but wonder how many takes it took to get it just right :).

I loved the ending, seeing V accomplish what Guy Fawkes was prevented from doing. It was rather breathtaking on the big screen, and yes, the 1812 Overture booming from the speakers was awesome. A wonderful, wonderful touch. I also especially loved seeing the thousands of people in V's mask, hat, and cape marching towards Parliament, and then the moment where they all started taking off the masks and you could see the faces of so many of the people who had been destroyed by that regime, like the little girl with the thick glasses, the actress who had written that beautiful note, Stephen Fry's character, etc. A wonderful climax to a movie well worth seeing.

There was even a hilarious homage to Benny Hill in the middle of the movie...what more could I have asked? :lol

Definitely a recommended movie, I liked it :).

Telan Desaria
Apr 9th, 2006, 10:13:22 AM
I just saw this movie and it was indeed well-worth watching. A note from what someone typed above tho - in the movie, the British Fedex is actually BFT - British Freight and Transit.

But it was outstanding as a movie. I was a bit skeptical when I went but it was definitely worth it. Given that I would have been among those dragged away, I wonder how I would have acted....

Nathanial K'cansce
Apr 10th, 2006, 12:11:42 PM
I saw this film last week. I enjoyed it, very moving and very 'grab you and makes you watch it'. One of my friends that I went to see it with finished up the graphic novel like, two hours before going. It was funny listening to him gripe like he does about some of the changes that wer emade. He still enjoyed it, though. :)

Rutabaga
Apr 14th, 2006, 05:58:10 PM
This is kinda cute:

C For Cookie (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9rzMaAucI4)

Mitch
Apr 14th, 2006, 08:02:28 PM
Heh, that's great!

Ryan Pode
Apr 15th, 2006, 09:38:04 AM
Tom Hobbes would have been proud.

Telan Desaria
May 2nd, 2006, 10:40:06 AM
Uproarius - - that was funny!!!