PDA

View Full Version : No more failure.

Sudoku
Jul 20th, 2005, 11:03:06 PM
LONDON (Reuters) - The word "fail" should be banned from use in British classrooms and replaced with the phrase "deferred success" to avoid demoralizing pupils, a group of teachers has proposed.

Members of the Professional Association of Teachers (PAT) argue that telling pupils they have failed can put them off learning for life.

A spokesman for the group said it wanted to avoid labeling children. "We recognize that children do not necessarily achieve success first time," he said.

"But I recognize that we can't just strike a word from the dictionary," he said.

The PAT said it would debate the proposal at a conference next week

:rolleyes

I know I'm not the only one who finds the way people are raising their kids horrible. But this is retarded.

Shawn
Jul 20th, 2005, 11:48:34 PM
hahahahahahahaha

I guess they stopped teaching Shakespeare over yonder.

Dasquian Belargic
Jul 21st, 2005, 03:50:15 AM
:rolleyes

Damn ASBO nation. I hope this doesn't pass.

The Man in Black
Jul 21st, 2005, 06:10:54 AM
I guess its okay to patronize an entire generation if they're too stupid to realize they're being patronized :)

Kraehe Branwen
Jul 21st, 2005, 08:02:30 AM
What?! Oh cmon. How the hell would it sound if Darth Vader said "You have deferred success for me for the last time."? If you fail, you fail, just get back on the horse and ride again..... unless you get hit with a force choke. o.o

Next they'll be banning teaching any historical event that was too violent cuz it frightens or gives students ideas. :rolleyes

Razielle Alastor
Jul 21st, 2005, 08:32:23 AM
That just opens up a let's-get-rid-of-this-word-and-that-word can of worms. Next - short will be eradicated in favor of "vertically challeneged". :rolleyes

Bah..

"You have deferred success for me for the last time."? :lol :lol :lol

That's great!

Darth McBain
Jul 21st, 2005, 01:28:33 PM
Deferred Success is not an option!!!

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 21st, 2005, 02:40:40 PM
>_<

I suppose it would be bad of me to say that the PAT generation seems to be totally failing the next generation?

Khendon Sevon
Jul 21st, 2005, 07:18:04 PM
Wowzers! 1984 in '05! Next thing they'll be saying "double plus good" or "double plus ungood"... Wow... I didn't think I'd live to see the day. Who will be Big Brother? Can I be in the Brotherhood? If so, do I have to go through that horrible, horrible torture? And what is my worst fear? I dunno, my Diesel jeans getting destroyed to the point where I can't wear them? (i.e. incinerated, any amount of holes and rips just add to the flavor)

Kraehe Branwen
Jul 21st, 2005, 07:24:23 PM
Oooo. I remember that book. Good read.

But this reminds me of another issue someone else posted a while back... but I forgot what it was about.... It was something posted here. *is going to shoot herself cuz she cant remember what it was about* Gah.

Well anyways, if they keep banning everything, our kids are going to be all pansied out. I think harsh realities such as "failure" and even "unfairness" teach our children how to be respectable and strong adults. Take away those factors and when they get into the real world they will look around and panic.

"OMFG, THIS WORLD IS TOO BRIGHT AND SCARY!" Then they will cling to their baby blankie and proceed to suck their thumb.

Dasquian Belargic
Jul 22nd, 2005, 03:52:02 AM
Originally posted by Khendon Sevon
Wowzers! 1984 in '05! Next thing they'll be saying "double plus good" or "double plus ungood"... Wow... I didn't think I'd live to see the day. Who will be Big Brother? Can I be in the Brotherhood? If so, do I have to go through that horrible, horrible torture? And what is my worst fear? I dunno, my Diesel jeans getting destroyed to the point where I can't wear them? (i.e. incinerated, any amount of holes and rips just add to the flavor)

Well, the government are pressing for the introduction of compulsory national ID cards. I suppose it's only so long before advertisements for recruitment for the Ministry Of Love appear in the paper, and bottles of Victory Gin show up on the shelves :p

Darth Viscera
Jul 22nd, 2005, 04:20:52 AM
Victory Gin, bah. That's an awful name. Now Jingo Gin, that's a proper name for an uncle sam-friendly sauce.

Dasquian Belargic
Jul 22nd, 2005, 04:27:15 AM
We like our Victory Gin in Airstrip One, thankyouverymuch :mad

Darth Viscera
Jul 22nd, 2005, 06:20:16 AM
Well everywhere else in Oceania we drink Jingo Gin, so unless Airstrip One wants to come under increased rocket bomb attack, Airstrip One will just have to conform :mad