PDA

View Full Version : Video Games Live music festival

Lady Vader
Jul 8th, 2005, 04:02:13 PM
It was a toss up between General Discussion (for the Hollywood Bowl bit) or General Gaming (for the game music bit). In the end, I figured those that frequent this forum would find this more interesting. :p

Anyhoooo...

Last Wednesday, July 6, I went to the Hollywood Bowl for the first ever Video Games Live, where they play orchestral video game music!

It was a serious geek fest out there, with a surprising even number of young and old alike.

For more info, check out the Hollywood Bowl website dedicated to the event (http://www.hollywoodbowl.com/tix/performance_detail.cfm?id=2414) and the Official Video Games Live website (http://www.videogameslive.com/index.php?s=home).

The evening was awesome!

Pre-Show Festival:

They had a chance for gamers and fans to participate in a Meet and Greets (http://videogameslive.com/index.php?s=meet) with various game artists and producers.

They also had a large patio set up with restored classic and new arcade games (http://www.videotopia.com/) alike for people to play to their hearts content.

A costume contest with the winner walking away with a new gaming laptop was also held. They had the actual contest in a different building outside of the Bowl, and only showed the three winners (http://videogameslive.com/index.php?s=costume) before the show started on stage.

After the costume contest, they had a raffle. Everyone got a raffle ticket when they entered the Bowl. Two winners were chosen to receive gaming laptops. (I was so close... only a few hundred numbers off. :p )

The Show:

The 3-hour music festival (8-11pm PDT) was performed by the Los Angeles Philharmonics Orchestra. The stage was set up with the orchestra on the stage proper, with a jumbo-screen dead center, and two others on either side of the Bowl. The center screen always showed footage from the games on which the orchestra was playing music from, while the side screens flipped back and forth between the game footage and live feeds of the orchestra playing their instruments. The even had some live action stunts to go along with some of the games and spectacular light and laser effects all throughout.

They started off with a special retro arcade segment that goes from Pong to Donkey Kong. From there they moved on to playing Metal Gear Solid (with live action stunts). They went on to play Tomb Raider, Beyond Good & Evil, Castlevania, Medal of Honor (with real WWII footage shown on the screens), Zelda, Headhunter, God of War, EverQuest II, Advent Rising (with live action stunts , Kingdom Hearts, Tron (with live action stunts), Sonic, Warcraft (*squeeeel*), Myst, Mario, and Halo (serious show stopper). In the program they also mentioned music from Splinter Cell, Ghost Recon, and Rainbow Six, but I honestly don't remember hearing that music.
(NOTE: The music indicated was not neccessarily play in the order I wrote it out.)

The intermission was neat in that they had a "loading screen" they'd made to place on the jumbo-screens. It had a horizontal bar that slowly filled up for the 20 minute intermission. Longest loading screen I've ever seen. ;)

After the intermission, they had another contest where they pitted an older lady against a young kid to play, of all things, Frogger. Save this Frogger game was special as the orchestra played music for it on the fly as the players played the game, complete with "dieing" and "losing" sounds. The kid of course won, and he too walked away with a gaming laptop.

All in all, the evening was very enjoyable, and I'll certainly be going back next year if they have it again. And this time, I'll bring my costume. Maybe I'll win that laptop next time. :D

For those interested in the Video Games Live musical festival, they are in the process of a grand US tour, with LA being their first stop. So check out their tour dates (http://www.videogameslive.com/index.php?s=tourdates)... they may just be coming to your town!

Tod Marr
Jul 8th, 2005, 04:53:33 PM
I'd love to have heard Metal Gear Solid and Zelda (Gerudo Valley...mmmm....).

Dasquian Belargic
Jul 9th, 2005, 03:36:11 AM
They didn't play any Final Fantasy? Psh.

Lady Vader
Jul 9th, 2005, 03:21:20 PM
Actually, Jen, they DID play Final Fantasy (one of the FF pieces was done on a piano, and the kid that was playing it was superb!). :)

Ironically, it was one of a few pieces played that weren't on the program while some on the program weren't played. They musta done a trade off.

Morgan Evanar
Jul 9th, 2005, 03:24:55 PM
Wow they left out Command & Conquer, all of the Mechwarrior games, Thief, Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, Metriod, System Shock/2, Doom, Quake, and Half-Life.

Good job!

Lady Vader
Jul 10th, 2005, 01:25:49 AM
They mentioned Doom, Quake, and Half-Life in the program booklet, but didn't play them. They didn't, however, mention it in the online program. So, I dunno what happened there.

Morgan Evanar
Jul 10th, 2005, 10:08:40 AM
Oh yeah, Homeworld. Basically I'm saying this event is without credentials.

Pierce Tondry
Jul 10th, 2005, 01:54:36 PM
Why does it need credentials?

I and friends will be going to catch this when it comes to Virginia on August 19th. Personally I think it will be fun.

Dasquian Belargic
Jul 10th, 2005, 04:11:18 PM
Originally posted by Morgan Evanar
Wow they left out Command & Conquer, all of the Mechwarrior games, Thief, Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, Metriod, System Shock/2, Doom, Quake, and Half-Life.

Good job!

I've only really played Thief, SS2, Quake and HL out of these, but very few musical pieces stand out in my mind from any of them. Things like Castlevania, Zelda, FF, those are the types of games whose music really stick in my mind as being quality, memorable tunes. I might just be being forgetful about the others, though ^_^;

Lady Vader
Jul 11th, 2005, 04:49:25 PM
Originally posted by Morgan Evanar
Oh yeah, Homeworld. Basically I'm saying this event is without credentials.

Actually, this event had some pretty big names. Just because it didn't have any names you personally would want to hear doesn't mean it's without credentials.

Originally posted by Pierce Tondry
I and friends will be going to catch this when it comes to Virginia on August 19th. Personally I think it will be fun.

Enjoy it! I know I did! :) I'm still kicking myself in the butt for not knowing about the costume contest... that woulda been fuuuuuuuun!

Dasq - I heard that there are possible rumors of taking the festival abroad. Dunno if it'll hit the UK or not, but I'll keep an eye out. I think it'll depend on how well it does here in the States. So far it's been well received.

So it might be worth checking out if it hits the UK (and if you're interested). :)

Dasquian Belargic
Jul 12th, 2005, 02:47:36 AM
I'd definetly be interested if it came over here :) I've always been envious of the people who get to go to the "Dear Friends (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dear_Friends:_The_music_of_Final_Fantasy)" tour, the Final Fantasy orchestral concerts that Nobuo Uematsu puts on.