PDA

View Full Version : Justice O'Connor resigns...

Figrin D'an
Jul 1st, 2005, 02:14:47 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/07/01/resignation.supreme/index.html

Can't say I'm too surprised about this. She's been hinting for some time that she wanted to retire and spend more time with her family, and care for her husband, who is in the early stages of Alzheimer's. That'll make two seats that will have to be filled, since it's clear that Chief Justice Rehnquist is going to be stepping down soon as well.

It will be interesting to see how the balance of power shifts on the high court now. Rehnquist is a pretty staunch conservative, but O'Connor, while conservative in name, tended to be much more moderate. She even skewed very liberal on a good number of issues. I would hope that the justice to replace her is of a similiar mold, and makes decisions based upon what he/she believes to be the correct judical stance, regardless of conservative/liberal dividing lines. Unfortunately, with Dubbya making the nominations, I doubt that will happen.

A remarkable career for her, though, and certainly a significant name in US history, being the first woman to serve on the Supreme Court.

Daiquiri
Jul 1st, 2005, 02:21:32 PM
Im sorry to see her go, yet its understandable as to why. Ive always held her in high regard and can only hope wisdom guides the new judges, whom ever they are.