PDA

View Full Version : The Da Vinci Code

Phantom
Jul 1st, 2005, 12:05:55 AM
I read the book about a month ago, it was fairly good. Anyways, I saw a poster for it at the theater when I went to see War of the Worlds the other day. I just looked it up at IMDB. Heres (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0382625/) the page.

Its supposed to come out sometime in 2006.

Ron Howards is going to direct it, with Tom Hanks and Ian McKellen as the leads. I'm not familiar with the woman who plays the female lead. Jean Reno, Paul Bettany and Alfred Molina will also be in it.

Dasquian Belargic
Jul 1st, 2005, 01:36:41 AM
I'm really looking forward to it. I enjoyed the book a lot. It was written very cinematically, so I can imagine that it will translate well to film.

As an aside... Audrey Tautou, most famous for her roles in "Amelie" and "A Very Long Engagement", is playing the female lead.

Oriadin
Jul 1st, 2005, 01:55:26 AM
I really enjoyed the book too. Im really looking forward to the film. The casting for the film looks excellent. Jean Reno as Bezu Fache is spot on in my opinion.

Hera
Jul 1st, 2005, 02:18:51 AM
I enjoyed the book also, though some of it to me was quite a stretch. A fun ride tho.

Bettany as the Albino is also a brilliant choice imo.

Figrin D'an
Jul 1st, 2005, 11:00:10 AM
The book was very "ehh" in my opinion. I expect the film to be little different. I don't really think much of Dan Brown's supposed intellectual prowess on the subject matter, which is a major reason I don't really care that much about the film project or the book.

Rutabaga
Jul 1st, 2005, 08:58:54 PM
I hated the book, so I won't be interested in the movie at all.

Cat Terrist
Jul 2nd, 2005, 01:17:54 AM
The book is one of those things that I tried to read. It's is simply the most over-rated and outright rancid piece of crap to have put to words. Utterly without redemption.

jjwr
Jul 2nd, 2005, 03:18:30 PM
I enjoyed the book, some people take it or the author way too seriously, I just enjoyed it for what it was.

Now the movie, check out the cast lineup on IMDB....holy cow!

Course Hanks as the main character, Reno as the tough French Cop, McKellan as Teabing, Doc Ock as the Cardinal and the guy they have playing the Albino is great as well.

Clive Solo
Jul 3rd, 2005, 11:01:49 AM
Well Ron Howard and Tom Hanks are enough to make me really excited about this movie. I have nothing but respect for both of them.

Droo
Dec 14th, 2005, 11:08:20 AM
http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony_pictures/da_vinci_code/

Full length trailer is now up for those interested. I know nothing of the story to this, I think I'd rather read it first, along with the book that precedes it before going to see it in cinema. The premise for the story is fascinating nevertheless. And Ian McKellen is always awesome.

Nathanial K'cansce
Dec 14th, 2005, 01:28:05 PM
I'm in the middle of reading "Angels and Demons", the book that preceeds "The DaVinci Code." I'm only on page 80 something, but after this week is over (finals, final report, final presentation), I'll probably be able to get through it sometime next week, and then I'll start on DVC.

So far, it's interesting, and has kept my attention span long enough. So that's a good sign.

Atreyu
Dec 15th, 2005, 12:37:36 AM
Howard and Hanks teaming up with this film makes me interested, but to be honest I've never been interested in the book itself (I've read a fair bit about it, but not the book tself).

I'm honestly surprised at all the fuss it's made, the stuff Dan Brown writes about has been suggested and theorised for years.

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 15th, 2005, 01:03:09 AM
The "secret" is supposed to be that Jesus fathered a child with Mary Magdelene and the Catholic church has been hiding that for years and years only to have DaVinci expose them through some sort of code hidden in his paintings, correct? I have not read the book.

I don't know if I'll be giving the movie my dollar either. But with Ron Howard and Tom Hanks it's does have more than just potential to be a good solid movie, regardless of content. They could probably put together a movie about child cannibals and it would be fascinating.

JMK
Dec 15th, 2005, 07:46:11 AM
I read Angels and Demons, but not the DaVinci Code. It was enjoyable, even thought I had my doubts about even getting involved with it. The last 80 pages or so were utter garbage so I didn't rush out to read the sequel. I think people tend to put too much stock in the 'facts' presented in the books. Very little of it is actually true. I'm not sure yet if I'll ever read the book or see the movie.

Akrabbim
Dec 15th, 2005, 10:11:48 AM
Yeah... the whole "Priory of Scion," if I recall, is the group in charge of hiding everything. A French guy made the group up in the 70's. People still believe this group exists, though.

JMK
Dec 15th, 2005, 11:14:53 AM
There was a documentary on the discovery channel recently about that very topic. IIRC a guy bought a deserted building in the hopes to turn it in to a hotel. It was in a remote spot, so in order to attract visitors he teamed up with a journalist and a priest and basically created the "Priory" thing. The whole illusion of Dan Brown's work was shot to hell in one hour.

Akrabbim
Dec 15th, 2005, 02:48:06 PM
Well, it's like I read once, people will believe either what they really want to be true, or what they're afraid of being true. People WANT there to be some big shady conspiracy, or for Jesus not to be who He was, or just for some scandal SOMEWHERE. They'll believe anything, if they really want to.

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 15th, 2005, 05:05:01 PM
Like the Blair Witch Project. ;)

Dasquian Belargic
Dec 15th, 2005, 05:08:52 PM
I just found it all really fascinating. Even if it isn't entirely truthful, it was still a fun read and I am still looking forward to the movie. The bit at the beginning of the trailer, with the albino whipping himself was :cool... Have tp admit though, I was going to ask if they had recast the female lead - Audrey Tautou looks so different to how she was in Amelie/A Very Long Engagement.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 28th, 2006, 07:01:17 PM
I saw the movie last night. It was really boring and the plot points were painfully obvious before they were 'masterfully' revealed. It was like someone pulling a sheet off of something that's shaped like a car and... there's a CAR UNDERNEATH!

All theological points aside, I expected much better from Ron Howard and Tom Hanks. I haven't read the book, so I can't attest to its innate readability. The movie had some diverting moments, namely Ian McKellan, but all in all I'd like those 2 and a half hours of my life back.