PDA

View Full Version : The Bard's Tale

Khendon Sevon
Jun 30th, 2005, 10:54:28 PM
I find it interesting that I haven't heard more about this game. In fact, I only knew about it because I saw an add for it a while ago. So, I bought it for $30 today and have been enjoying its extreme sarcasm and easy playing.

Will report more as I progress in the game.

Dasquian Belargic
Jul 1st, 2005, 01:37:26 AM
What type of game is it?

Khendon Sevon
Jul 1st, 2005, 09:47:30 PM
Hmm, how do I do this game justice?

I’ll describe a bit of it:

You play as The Bard—yes, that’s his name—a self-interested musician that uses his lute (or flute) to cast magical spells. Basically, you’re interested in wenches, money, wenches, food, wenches, and money.

In your travels you often meet people. The way you respond to dialogues—either “Snarky” or “Nice”—decides certain conditions (you might have to pay more for a ride over the river or might not have to fight someone depending on how you act towards them).

There are a few attributes you can choose from when creating your character (you’ll notice most of them from other RPG’s): Strength (how much melee damage you do), Vitality (health), Luck (changes “subtle” aspects of the game—I assume this has to do with dialogue, rewards, etc), Dexterity (damage of ranged attacks), Charisma (items cost less), Rhythm (modifies the stats of your summoned creatures/henchmen).

There are various talents to choose from. These are like DnD feats and allow you to use different weapons, improve specific attacks, or add cool moves to your repertoire.

The combat system isn’t too complex. One button attacks and another blocks. Blocking isn’t a constant action; instead it must be timed to the rhythm of your opponents’ attacks. It actually adds a very interesting element to the game; you have to watch all of your enemies at a given time. Some talents add to your attack by allowing different moves based on how your enemies hit you or if you hold down the attack button.

The magic system is very, very simple. A menu contains the summon-able creatures/henchmen. These include (but are not limited to): lightning spider, knight, mercenary, heroine, etc.(16 total).

XP is the name of the game (like most RPG’s). Once you’ve filled your XP bar you can increase your attributes and, occasionally, select a new talent. It’s very simple and not time consuming—keeps you in the action.

Dialogues are extremely comical! As are the songs that occasionally pop up—such as drunken men singing a bar song praising the maker of beer (It’s more hilarious than I can make it sound, trust me).

More to come as I continue to have fun! I love this game, perfect balance of story, dialogue, good voice acting, and ACTION!

Yurza Magus
Jul 6th, 2005, 02:34:02 PM
I've seen this game around and like you haven't really heard anything about it. I planned on picking it up sooner or later but now that I actually know something about it. Probably sooner rather than later.

Phantom
Jul 6th, 2005, 11:50:26 PM
What could be better then wenches and money?

Dasquian Belargic
Jul 7th, 2005, 03:22:55 AM
Wenches, money and ale?

Phantom
Jul 7th, 2005, 03:42:53 PM
Ah, good point.

Vendetta
Jul 7th, 2005, 03:50:52 PM
Originally posted by Dasquian Belargic
Wenches, money and ale?

Touche.

Khendon Sevon
Jul 7th, 2005, 10:09:57 PM
I just finished beating the game completely. Now I can officially say I LOVE THIS GAME!

They better make another.

Vega Van-Derveld
Sep 25th, 2005, 07:05:19 AM
I picked this up a couple of days ago. It's had me laughing a fair bit already. Good stuff :)

Khendon Sevon
Sep 26th, 2005, 06:41:05 AM
:)

Vega Van-Derveld
Sep 27th, 2005, 12:27:26 PM
... and I'm done. Fairly short game, and although some of the gameplay is repetitive, the storyline was very amusing and the voice-acting superb :)

Khendon Sevon
Oct 4th, 2005, 11:34:00 PM
I completely agree... :) I love "The Bard's Tale"