PDA

View Full Version : Your favourite quotes

Dasquian Belargic
Jun 29th, 2005, 10:25:33 AM
I was just reading a came across a quote that I really liked, so I thought, hey, let's have a topic devoted to interesting quotes!

I’ll start the ball rolling with this gem :cool

“There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Mafia.” -- Kurt Vonnegut, The Sirens of Titan

CMJ
Jun 29th, 2005, 12:04:36 PM
"Books serve to show a man that those original thoughts of his aren't very new at all."

Abraham Lincoln

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 29th, 2005, 01:02:58 PM
"I have always felt that a politician is to be judged by the animosities he excites among his opponents."

"To be conservative at 20 is heartless and to be a liberal at 60 is plain idiocy."

Sir Winston Churchill (1874 - 1965)

CMJ
Jun 29th, 2005, 01:14:34 PM
"Marriage is neither heaven nor hell; it is simply purgatory"

Abraham Lincoln(the man is FULL of quotes)

Yog
Jun 29th, 2005, 01:19:26 PM
"When you sit with a nice girl for two hours, it seems like two minutes. When you sit on a hot stove for two minutes, it seems like two hours that's relativity."

-- Albert Einstein

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 29th, 2005, 01:24:02 PM
"... You ask, What is our policy? I will say; "It is to wage war, by sea, land and air, with all our might and with all the strength that God can give us: to wage war against a monstrous tyranny, never surpassed in the dark lamentable catalogue of human crime. That is our policy." You ask, What is our aim? I can answer with one word: Victory - victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory there is no survival."

Sir Winston Churchill (again!)

Dasquian Belargic
Jun 29th, 2005, 01:30:36 PM
"The whole of life is just like watching a film. Only it's as though you always get in ten minutes after the big picture has started, and no-one will tell you the plot, so you have to work it out all yourself from the clues." -- Terry Pratchett, Moving Pictures

Yog
Jun 29th, 2005, 01:32:55 PM
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

-- Abraham Lincoln

There are so many times I should have followed that advice.. :lol

Yurza Magus
Jun 29th, 2005, 01:35:29 PM
Before God we are all equally wise - and equally foolish. - Albert Einstein

Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious. - Brendan Gill

Tevit Ramastan
Jun 29th, 2005, 02:44:20 PM
"Beware the fury of a patient man." -John Dreyden

"It never hurts to help." -Eek the Cat.

Darth McBain
Jun 29th, 2005, 03:09:03 PM
We must hang together or we shall surely hang separately - Ben Franklin.

What you are is an accident of birth. What I am, I am through my own efforts. There have been a thousand princes and there will be a thousand more. There is one Beethoven -- Ludwig van Beethoven.

Lucianus Adair
Jun 29th, 2005, 04:54:07 PM
When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite.

-Sir Winston Churchill

CMJ
Jun 29th, 2005, 06:38:32 PM
"A few men own capital, and that few avoid labor themselves"

A. Lincoln (again!)

Yog
Jun 29th, 2005, 07:26:46 PM
"I never think of the future. It comes soon enough."

--Albert Einstein

Darth Decepis
Jun 29th, 2005, 08:38:17 PM
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

--Yogi Berra

Daiquiri
Jun 29th, 2005, 08:44:49 PM
"Are you crying? Are you crying? Theres no crying baseball! Theres no crying in baseball! No crying!"

Jimmy Dugan (Tom Hanks) from 'A League Of Their Own'

(and yes, I do use it during softball..usually makes the girls laugh)

General Devious
Jun 29th, 2005, 10:19:20 PM
What does not kill us makes us stronger. Nieche

Don't stare into the abyss, For you might find the abyss stares back. Nieche

I haven't eaten for days, "And who says you will."
Conan. That one cracks me up.

Phantom
Jun 29th, 2005, 11:19:24 PM
" All is fair in love and war. " - Julius Caesar

"To be conservative at 20 is heartless and to be a liberal at 60 is plain idiocy."

lol, I love that one.

Eylisa
Jun 29th, 2005, 11:55:27 PM
I have wondered at times what the Ten Commandments would have looked like if Moses had run them through the U.S. Congress.
-- Ronald Reagan

Also I love this quote to death.. if you know me ooc you understand me and this quote

Freedom is a fragile thing and is never more than one generation away from extinction. It is not ours by inheritance; it must be fought for and defended constantly by each generation, for it comes only once to a people. Those who have known freedom, and then lost it, have never known it again.
-- Ronald Reagan

Videl
Jun 30th, 2005, 01:15:27 AM
"I am only one but I am still one. I cannot do everything but I can still do something. I will not refuse to do something I can do."-Unknown

"What is now proved was once only imagined." -William Blake

"I throughly diapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand, lead him to a quiet place and kill him."-Mark Twain

"Never knock on death's door. Ring the doorbell and run away, death really hate that!"-Matt Frewer

"Always forgive your enemies, nothing annoys them so much."Oscar Wilde

"In love the paradox occurs that two beings become one yet remain two."-Unknown

"In the war over religion, you're basically killing each other over who has the better imaginary friend."-Unknown

Tiberius Anar
Jun 30th, 2005, 05:13:05 AM
"Where rights and freedom are everything, inconveniences are nothing."
- Jean-Jacques Rousseau

"A prince, therefore, who desires to maintain himself must learn to be so or not as necessity may require."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

"If you give me six lines written by the most honest man, I will find something in them to hang them"
- Cardinal Richelieu

Make money by fair means if you can; if not, by any means so long as you make money"
- Horace

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something."
-Pancho Villa

"It was the busiest part of the day, damn it. I was tying my cravat."
-Leslie Howard in the Scarlet Pimpernel

Yurza Magus
Jun 30th, 2005, 08:35:45 AM
I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. - John Burroughs

Go looking for a meaning to life and it will completely bypass you. - Unknown

CMJ
Jun 30th, 2005, 09:27:44 AM
"Tact is the ability to describe others as they see themselves."

A. Lincoln

Yog
Jun 30th, 2005, 11:22:32 AM
"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."

-- Albert Einstein

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 30th, 2005, 11:48:07 AM
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Sir Winston Churchill

Darth McBain
Jun 30th, 2005, 12:20:54 PM
I don't know who (if anyone) said it:

The more I know, the more I know I oughtta know

CMJ
Jun 30th, 2005, 01:00:11 PM
Sounds very Yogi Berra-ish, McBain.

Darth McBain
Jun 30th, 2005, 01:48:14 PM
yeah - definitely sounds like something he might say.

Yog
Jun 30th, 2005, 02:14:56 PM
^^

Similar to the quote above:

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

Socrates

Yurza Magus
Jun 30th, 2005, 07:55:25 PM
"You fail to recognize that it matters not what someone is born, but what they grow to be."

For in dreams we enter a world that is entirely our own. Let them swing in the deepest ocean or glide over the highest cloud.

Both from Albus Dumbledore

CMJ
Jun 30th, 2005, 11:10:15 PM
Originally posted by Yurza Magus
"You fail to recognize that it matters not what someone is born, but what they grow to be."

Sounds like this one from good old Honest Abe(told ya he was quotable) on his ancestory.

I don't know who my grandfather was. I am more concerned to know what his grandson will be."

Tod Marr
Jul 1st, 2005, 06:30:53 AM
Crowley was currently doing 110mph somewhere east of Slough. Nothing about him looked particularly demonic, at least by classical standards. No horns, no wings. Admittedly he was listening to a Best of Queen tape, but no conclusions should be drawn from this because all tapes left in cars for more than about a fortnight metamorphose into Best of Queen albums. No particular demonic thoughts were going through his head. In fact, he was currently wondering vaguely who Moey and Chandon were.

-Terry Pratchett, Good Omens

Sister Mary headed through the night-time hospital with the Adversary, Destroyer of Kings, Angel of the Bottomless Pit, Great Beast that is called Dragon, Prince of This World, Father of Lies, Spawn of Satan, Lord of Darkness safely in her arms. She found a bassinet and laid him down in it.

-Terry Pratchett, Good Omens

Phantom
Jul 1st, 2005, 10:04:21 PM
Do not go gently into that good night.
Old age should burn and rage at the close of day.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas

Razielle Alastor
Jul 2nd, 2005, 08:32:10 AM
I never told my religion, nor scrutinized that of another. I never attempted to make a convert, nor wished to change another's creed. I have judged of others' religion by their lives, for it is from our lives, and not from our words, that our religions must be read. - Thomas Jefferson-

:D

JMK
Jul 4th, 2005, 02:15:35 PM
"Dream as if you'll live forever, and live as if you'll die tomorrow."
- James Dean

"A good general can defeat his enemy 100 times in 100 battles, a great general can defeat his enemy before the battle begins."
- Sun Tzu, The Art of War

"A woman's mind is cleaner than a man's - That's because she changes it more often."
- Oliver Hereford

"A good rule of thumb is if you've made it to 35 and your job still requires you to wear a name tag, you've made a serious vocational error."
- Dennis Miller

"Accept that some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue."
- Scott Adams

"Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy."
- Isaac Newton

"Did you hear that doctors have now discovered a food that kills all sexual desire in women? Wedding cake!"
- Unknown

:lol

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 4th, 2005, 03:56:24 PM
Woman (to Winston Churchill): If you were my husband, I would put poison in your tea.
Winston Churchill: If you were my wife - I would drink it!

Clive Solo
Jul 4th, 2005, 04:39:53 PM
"Getting people to do what you want, is merely a matter of telling them what they want to hear."

-???

Tod Marr
Jul 4th, 2005, 09:17:43 PM
'I've just nearly stood in human dog$#!@!'
- My own dear mother.

Me: 'Mum...A, E, I, O, U...'
Mum: 'Yeah, I know what the five nouns are!!!'

She's priceless :)

Baralai Lotus
Jul 8th, 2005, 01:15:45 AM
"Never hope, hope is fleeting and can change. . .it is not sure whether what you hope for will happen. Instead, always know, if you know that something will happen then it's simply a matter of patience."
~Me~ (Yea, I'm cheap, but I've been quoted.)

"It takes a minute to be friends with someone, an hour to like someone and a day to fall in love with them."
~Unknown~

"If all the world's a stage, then I want better lighting."
~Unknown~

"There is a thin line between insanity and genius, I have erased that line."
~Unknown~

"My hand is the puppet of my genius, and I pull its strings harshly."
~Dr. Lenux Yamato~

"Writer's are indeed Gods. They create worlds, plants, animals, people. . .hell, they probably created God."
~Me~

"Characters from books are not just words on paper, but they are people that never got a chance to live."
~Me~

Sorry for all the quotes from me, but dangit, you know they're good. . .just admit it.