PDA

View Full Version : The Sims 2 (repost)

Yog
Jun 28th, 2005, 05:42:24 AM
Continuing topic on Sims 2 from <a href=http://sw-fans.net/archive/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37126>here</a>.

I finally got to play this (I was a sucker for the first Sims game). I only played it for a while, but the first thing I noticed was how much better everything looks in terms of graphics and animation wise. Far more pleasing to the eye.

One other difference you will notice right from the bat is how much more intelligent the sims are. They take more initiative to do things on their own. You dont have to micromanage and babysit your sims at every moment (of course, you still can if you want). They go to the toilet when they have to, eat when they have to and sleep when they have to. That was one frustration of the first game that I feel is largely corrected in Sims 2, they were so plain dumb to take care of their basic needs.

The social interaction of the sims is far more sophisticated than what was the case in the first game. You can interact with sims in so many different ways. The sims have aspirations and fears now, which affect their happiness now. Those aspiration are like goals for you to complete, but wether you fullfill them or not is up to you.

One sim might be dreaming about secretly having sex with 5 different women while being married. Another may be dreaming about having wild parties at all times and the third could be obsessed about having a great career. I suppose you can make some evil experiments, like turning your family into chronically depressed drug addicts or something. I gotta try that, hehe.

One of the coolest aspects about the sims is building and buying stuff to make the ultimate house. And the household family grows as more sims move in. Thats part of where the long lasting appeal is. Eventually, you could have a huge mansion, allmost like a theme park where the whole town gathers for an all time blast.

I guess, what I like about the sims is how different its from other games. Its not the cliche grand epic adventure or action game where you save the world from evil. Its an advanced social simulator, where the goals entirely depend on what you want. Potentially, you could develop your house/family forever. The situations and scenarios you can create can be quite amusing to say the least. Its the everlasting game, and if you look at it that way, its pretty damn good value.

You should probably be able to find the game in some bargain bins or some decent online deals, so now would be a good time to check it out. If you liked the first game, you will most definitely love this :)

Tod Marr
Jul 1st, 2005, 06:05:35 AM
I haven't played The Sims 2 but my sister's got it and it looks quite good. Incidentally, when she bought it in GAME (UK computer games chainstore) the Sims were all buy one, get one free. So she got The Sims 2 and got a helluva deal on the free one. It was a boxed set of the entire Sims collection - thats The Sims Triple Deluxe, House Party, Hot Date, On Holiday, Unleashed, Megastar and Makin' Magic. In total the set is a whopping 12 discs. All that, plus The Sims 2 for £39.99.

I imagine there'll be lots of Simage afoot this summer as I thieve the boxset (she goes to bed early:p)