PDA

View Full Version : Long live the Emperor, the Emperor is dead!

Hayes Muirso
Jun 27th, 2005, 05:17:24 AM
You heard correctly, folks – the Emperor is dead. Blown to smithereens. Hallelujah, praise the Force! Don’t get too excited, though. Although old wrinkly and bucket head might have become one with the Force, the Empire hasn’t crumbled under the loss of its poster boys. No, far from it. Don’t think that the Rebels have won though. Not by a long shot. If anything, the playing field is even. Local yokel hero Skywalker and his rag tag band were only a handful among those lost in the Battle of Endor. The sad thing is that it almost feels as though all their deaths were in vain.

Neither sides of the conflict have the strength to finish the deal and totally wipe out the opposition, so now we enter what I have come to thing of as “The Cold War.” It’s a race to see who can recover the quickest. Paranoia is rife in both camps. It would only take a small weakness on either side to bring about defeat, and so suspicion of double-agents and infiltration leaks is at an all time high. If the rumours are to be believed, intelligence agents are out in full force – the eyes and ears of their superiors, watching like hawks for any slip up. Take this rumour with a pinch of salt, of course.

So what does this mean to us, the everyday Joes of the galaxy? If you haven’t already, now is the time for your to throw your lot in with the Rebel Alliance. Some of you might have already experienced first hand the Empire ‘coping mechanism’ – martial law. Some of you might be outraged, horrified that the once dutiful Generals of the Empire are allowing their wonderful galaxy to be ruled under reign of terror. The fact of the matter is, however, that things really haven’t changed. The only difference is that now, it’s all out in the open.

Though sometimes I think that even siding with the Alliance is a fruitless endeavour, this is a case of choosing the lesser of two evils, so to speak. Don’t let the Empire get their strength back. Whoever you are, you can help – from fighting on the front line to cooking meals back at home base. I’m not asking you to tattoo the Rebel logo on your forehead, or instigate anti-Imperial demonstrations. Just offer your support. I can’t point you in the right direction, but there are people who can. Recruiters on every world, looking out for the next General Solo. Don’t disappoint them. The longer you stand by and do nothing, the harder it will be to overcome the Empires tyranny.

When good men do nothing, evil triumphs.