PDA

View Full Version : Nature is trying to kill me

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jun 22nd, 2005, 06:45:16 AM
I found this (http://www.ent.uga.edu/ipm/Images/millipede.jpg) thing puttering along outside my house this morning while bringing the garbage can back from the street. It's not quite as deep a black as the one in the picture, but it's definately got the right markings. It's thicker than one of my fingers, and longer, too.

Right now I've got it in an empty Hawaiian Punch jug with a few holes punched in the side. The cats are all lounging around it hoping to (I can only imagine) draw first blood.

When Charley comes over this afternoon, hopefully he'll bring his camera so I can take pictures of it. Should I be worried? Is this monster going to kill me? Is it possible this is just the harbinger of some sort of gross-thing invasion?

:(

Anbira Hicchoru
Jun 22nd, 2005, 07:20:24 AM
I don't have my camera with me. Should I go back home and get it?

Also, millipedes, while gross, are harmless.

Daiquiri
Jun 22nd, 2005, 07:49:03 AM
Its the centipedes ya gotta watch out for :(

Cat Terrist
Jun 22nd, 2005, 07:50:56 AM
Pffft. Dont be a wuss. Start with funnel webs, then you got something from nature that'll have a go at killing you. Not to mention the taipan I came across much to my surprise about a week ago.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jun 22nd, 2005, 07:55:06 AM
I've heard enough about funnel webs on SA, thank you mister :( :( :(

And I readily admit that I'm a wuss. There are portions of my yard that I won't venture into because of bugs :)

Daiquiri
Jun 22nd, 2005, 08:11:08 AM
I used to think that I would love to visit Austraila...after watching NGC and AP, Ive changed my mind :uhoh

Yog
Jun 22nd, 2005, 09:20:03 AM
Haha, Australia is full of poison creatures. Whenever I go there, I would step very carefully.. :D

Not to mention the crocodiles and the "sea wasp" gelly fish or whatever they are called.. O_o

Mandy with an I
Jun 22nd, 2005, 10:48:16 AM
*makes a note to bring Raid when she visits* :x Or my army boots. Sheesh, thank god it's cold up here - it keeps our bugs itty bitty.

JMK
Jun 22nd, 2005, 12:47:33 PM
Speak for yourself! We have black flies the size of hummingbirds here!

AmazonBabe
Jun 22nd, 2005, 02:03:04 PM
Originally posted by Cat Terrist
Pffft. Dont be a wuss. Start with funnel webs, then you got something from nature that'll have a go at killing you. Not to mention the taipan I came across much to my surprise about a week ago.

Mark... I think pretty much everythng in Australia nature-wise is out to kill ya.

Nayala Palain
Jun 22nd, 2005, 02:20:11 PM
My only offer here is..

Ewwww!

Mandy with an I
Jun 22nd, 2005, 07:34:40 PM
Originally posted by JMK
Speak for yourself! We have black flies the size of hummingbirds here!

Where do you live? The woods?? o_O

Arya Ravenwing
Jun 22nd, 2005, 07:45:46 PM
He lives in an igloo. :mneh

Mandy with an I
Jun 22nd, 2005, 07:58:31 PM
He lives in a house made out of poutine! :lol

Seriously though...we don't have HUGE bugs here. The biggest bug I have seen has been like, maybe an inch long.

Morgan Evanar
Jun 22nd, 2005, 09:19:56 PM
Originally posted by AmazonBabe
Mark... I think pretty much everythng in Australia nature-wise is out to kill ya. If it's not venemous it's weird. OR BOTH! Oh man you have options in Australia.

Estelle Russard
Jun 22nd, 2005, 10:46:06 PM
:verymad there are some harmless things there, like, um, koala's. As long as they are loaded on Eucalyptus leaves, all is good.

I found a bat once on my driveway.

Daiquiri
Jun 22nd, 2005, 11:54:45 PM
I caught a black widow in my Mom and Dad's garage years ago, before I ever got married. I wanted to take it school and give it to my Biology teacher but Dad wouldnt let me - took the jar I had it in, then smashed/killed the nasty thing. Prolly a good idea on his part, huh? :p

Darth Stratus
Jun 23rd, 2005, 04:01:05 AM
The only semi-poisonous thing here in britian is an Adder, we seem to be quite lucky :D

Cat Terrist
Jun 23rd, 2005, 04:48:18 AM
Originally posted by Estelle Russard
:verymad there are some harmless things there, like, um, koala's. As long as they are loaded on Eucalyptus leaves, all is good.

I found a bat once on my driveway.

Drop Bears disguise themselves as Koalas

Isn't it cool that no one disputes how Australia is filled with stuff out to kill you?

Morgan Evanar
Jun 23rd, 2005, 08:01:08 AM
Kangaroos. Wait, they're bad for cars. Wombats! Wait, they're REALLY bad for cars.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jun 23rd, 2005, 08:06:36 AM
And that's just on land. Let's not forget all the seamonsters out there.

Dasquian Belargic
Jun 23rd, 2005, 10:19:13 AM
Vicet is trying to get you, s'Il :uhoh

Hera
Jun 23rd, 2005, 07:05:58 PM
Drop bears lol.

I know, Marcus, but I guess it doesn't help that 9 out of 10 of the most venomous snakes in the world live there, or something like that.

Khendon Sevon
Jun 24th, 2005, 07:04:56 AM
*sniffle* we just have bears and rattlesnakes/copperheads here. Darn, we’re low on the danger level.

Wait! Wait! We have the Jersey Devil! He’s supposedly really ebil!

Jade Doment
Jun 24th, 2005, 05:15:28 PM
Ive heard about that Jersey Devil. And weve got a bear running around Shawano.

Worst bug here is a VERY scary big, black beetle. 2 climbed in my bed and bit me, one about 2 summers ago, and one the summer after that. I can pretty much handle anything, but those SCARE me. Lucky for me, they last as long as June Bugs do.

June bugs are okay, Ive had a few of them in my living room, and the only scary thing about them are they are big and they fly. Otherwise, even they dont scare me.

*hopes she has no beetle probs in her new house*

AmazonBabe
Jun 24th, 2005, 07:00:44 PM
Originally posted by s'Ilancy
And that's just on land. Let's not forget all the seamonsters out there.

Shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarks. Lots of 'em.

Cat Terrist
Jun 24th, 2005, 07:56:48 PM
Sharks are pussies. It's the octopus you have to watch out for.

AmazonBabe
Jun 24th, 2005, 08:18:33 PM
SQUID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cat Terrist
Jun 24th, 2005, 09:47:09 PM
Squid? What? I was serious

Blue ringed Octopus. Get bitten by one, have a nice rest of your life - if that's possible in the agony. And if you like the rest of your life being measured in minutes, if not seconds. And those things are nice compared to the stonefish.

Daiquiri
Jun 24th, 2005, 10:32:00 PM
Stonefish....Scorpion/Lionfish? Arent they closely related? Yes, the Blue-Ringed Octopus is VERY venomous!! But I think Id rather be bitten by it than to be shaken, chewed and tenderized by a Great White :o

Cat Terrist
Jun 24th, 2005, 11:55:07 PM
Originally posted by Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Stonefish....Scorpion/Lionfish? Arent they closely related? Yes, the Blue-Ringed Octopus is VERY venomous!! But I think Id rather be bitten by it than to be shaken, chewed and tenderized by a Great White :o

The Great White is probably less painful than a Stonefish or the Blue Ring Octopus.

Hera
Jun 25th, 2005, 12:02:01 AM
Originally posted by Cat Terrist
The Great White is probably less painful than a Stonefish or the Blue Ring Octopus.

Yeah, but a squishy sloshy tenticle thingy isnt nearly as terrifying as 15 rows of teeth in a jaw the size of a man swiming up silently underneath you and snapping you in half through the guts..

Sharks are my great fear, as some may know.:x

Daiquiri
Jun 25th, 2005, 09:53:38 AM
Originally posted by DarthHERA
Yeah, but a squishy sloshy tenticle thingy isnt nearly as terrifying as 15 rows of teeth in a jaw the size of a man swiming up silently underneath you and snapping you in half through the guts..

Sharks are my great fear, as some may know.:x

Ditto and ditto! GMTA, sweetums!! :hug