PDA

View Full Version : Clone Commanders

Doc Milo
Jun 15th, 2005, 11:18:59 PM
Here's a silly little question:

Are all clone commanders named Cody?

When Palpatine issues order 66, he says, "Commander Cody, the time has come, execute order number 66." Now, I kind of doubt that he issued that statement over and over and over again to all the systems where Clones were fighting side by side with Jedi. I assume that he makes the statement once on a broadband network to all the commanders simultaneously. So, are all the clone commanders named Cody?

Rutabaga
Jun 15th, 2005, 11:31:04 PM
Oh, but of course, since Commando Cody is the Sky Marshal of the Universe! ;)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0045382/

Plus, can't help but wonder if GL is a fan of this band:

http://www.commandercody.com/

Cirrsseeto Quez
Jun 15th, 2005, 11:58:07 PM
No.

Off the top of my head, there are Baccarra, Bly, Neyo, Gree, Oddball, and Cody. And those are just the ones from RotS that are confirmed.

JMK
Jun 16th, 2005, 06:45:06 AM
I agree, I think there are different names for each commander. Maybe all clones of a certain squadron are named Cody or Bly, or whatever and the only distinction is their rank. Who knows?

Doc Milo
Jun 16th, 2005, 06:56:34 AM
Well, I know that "oddball" is not a name but a call sign...

Oriadin
Jun 16th, 2005, 08:32:09 AM
Perhaps Cody started filtering down the order to all the other Clones?

Cirrsseeto Quez
Jun 16th, 2005, 06:20:10 PM
Originally posted by JMK
I agree, I think there are different names for each commander. Maybe all clones of a certain squadron are named Cody or Bly, or whatever and the only distinction is their rank. Who knows?

No. The names are unique, given to them by their Jedi superiors.

MercZ
Jun 16th, 2005, 11:14:27 PM
So did the clone commanders know about palpatine's plan in advance? They reacted right away to the order.

Rutabaga
Jun 16th, 2005, 11:47:21 PM
Originally posted by MercZ
So did the clone commanders know about palpatine's plan in advance? They reacted right away to the order.

I've been thinking about that myself...one thing that was never clarified in ROTS is the whole Syfo-Dias issue. I'm one of those people who feels that "Syfo-Dias" is close enough to "Sidious" to think that Palpatine was the one who ordered the clone army. And if so, I'm thinking perhaps Order 66 was in their programming, making them almost like sleeper agents. All he needed was to say the secret word, basically, and they would respond appropriately. Especially since they followed the order without any questions or reservations of any kind.

Oriadin
Jun 17th, 2005, 01:51:48 AM
I definitely agree that order 66 was part of their programming.

Cirrsseeto Quez
Jun 17th, 2005, 06:16:03 AM
Originally posted by Jinn Fizz
I've been thinking about that myself...one thing that was never clarified in ROTS is the whole Syfo-Dias issue. I'm one of those people who feels that "Syfo-Dias" is close enough to "Sidious" to think that Palpatine was the one who ordered the clone army. And if so, I'm thinking perhaps Order 66 was in their programming, making them almost like sleeper agents. All he needed was to say the secret word, basically, and they would respond appropriately. Especially since they followed the order without any questions or reservations of any kind.

Sifo Dyas is not Palpatine. He was actually a Jedi on the council. From what I know, he more or less aligned himself ideologically with Count Dooku, who used him for Sidious's plan and then killed him later.

Rutabaga
Jun 17th, 2005, 07:25:53 AM
That's the one thing that has always thrown me about the Syfo-Dias thing, that he was a Jedi who was apparently well-respected...it's just that I've always found the closeness between "Syfo-Dias" and "Sidious" to be enough to raise speculation. I've never read any EU or any other info on Syfo-Dias's background, is there anything "official" out there on him?

JMK
Jun 17th, 2005, 07:27:25 AM
I would think you're right Fizz. Order 66 had to be a part of their 'programming' in some way. Remember, the Clones are totally obedient. Maybe only the Commanders know about Order 66, who would then give the order to the regular Clones to kill their Jedi generals. The clones being so obedient just do it without thinking twice.

Darth McBain
Jun 17th, 2005, 08:16:34 AM
Yeah, they made a point of mentioning that the clones are totally obedient in AOTC. In the novelization of ROTS they make it seem as though it is part of their programming. One minute they're fighting alongside the Jedi, the next minute they're fighting against them without even questioning the order. I definitely think it was part of their programming/training as clones, that when they hear "Order 66", they know exactly what to do.

Anbira Hicchoru
Jun 17th, 2005, 08:18:26 AM
Originally posted by Jinn Fizz
That's the one thing that has always thrown me about the Syfo-Dias thing, that he was a Jedi who was apparently well-respected...it's just that I've always found the closeness between "Syfo-Dias" and "Sidious" to be enough to raise speculation. I've never read any EU or any other info on Syfo-Dias's background, is there anything "official" out there on him?

There's bits here and there. Dooku and Sidious killed him and infused Grievous with his blood, from what I do know.

JMK
Jun 17th, 2005, 10:10:51 AM
That's weird. I'm beginning to think of Palpatine as more of a mad scientist than a Sith.

MercZ
Jun 17th, 2005, 10:29:54 AM
He's a bit of both I guess.
In the expanded universe, Palpatine has a "Unique" way of keeping himself alive until he finally meets his fate.

Rutabaga
Jun 17th, 2005, 06:00:47 PM
Originally posted by Anbira Hicchoru
There's bits here and there. Dooku and Sidious killed him and infused Grievous with his blood, from what I do know.

Okay, now that's just weird >_<

Doc Milo
Jun 18th, 2005, 10:50:42 PM
The novelization definitely makes it seem as if order 66 is a part of their programming, making the scheme the perfect way to kill a Jedi, since the clones feel no malice at all, they are just following orders, the Jedi never sense the danger until it is too late.

Now, on Syfo-Dyas, I, too, have not heard anything on him, but if I had to speculate, I would say that he was murdered by Count Dooku, then Dooku impersonated him to the Kaminoans and ordered the clone army. He then recruited Jango Fett as the host. ("Never heard of him. I was recruited by a man named Tyrannus on the moons of Bogden." Jango tells Obi-Wan when Obi-Wan brings up Syfo-Dyas.) He then deletes Kamino from the archives...

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 18th, 2005, 11:53:47 PM
Well accoding to Labyrinth of Evil, Syfo-Dyas was a jedi who was aligned with Dooku and like Doc said is basicaly happened. That is probably an official answer as we are going to get on him.

Doc Milo
Jun 19th, 2005, 11:16:09 AM
Haven't read that one. I'll have to pick up a copy.... Been looking for a book to read anyway... :)

Rutabaga
Jun 19th, 2005, 11:58:37 AM
I gave up on the EU with the New Jedi Order, but seeing ROTS has stoked my interested again. I've just ordered all the Clone Wars novels, they're on their way, I'm just not sure which one I'll start with.

Charley
Jul 16th, 2005, 08:55:43 AM
Would've probably been better to stick to the comics. They're better than the novels by a mile.