PDA

View Full Version : Article on Spielberg/Lucas "Rivalry"

Rutabaga
Jun 14th, 2005, 07:46:10 PM
Interesting read, although the writer does take the requisite potshots at Lucas (eh, it is Slate, after all :p):

http://slate.msn.com/id/2120697/fr/ifr/nav/ais/

CMJ
Jun 14th, 2005, 08:35:41 PM
Yeah, good stuff overall. Though the line about ROTS not being any good seemed thrown in just to irritate me. ;) And as everyone knows I'm a Spielberg guy to the core.

JMK
Jun 15th, 2005, 07:44:11 AM
Yeah, the line about Sith not being any good was just a cheap shot. It was a good read though.

Jedieb
Jun 16th, 2005, 07:33:32 PM
Wow, so in 3 weeks ROTS took in $400M?! Who the hell wrote that? They can't even make the excuse that they were counting international numbers because after 3 weeks the international and domestic numbers were around $600M. Nice going! I also think the writer put more into the rivalry than was actually there. For one thing, he mentions Jaws and Close Encounters going over budget as proof of Spielberg's struggles. So what, they were both smashes with Jaws being the #1 film of all time at its release and the first film to top $100M. Even though ANH severely outgrossed CEof3rdK, it was still a B.O. smash. He makes it seem like Lucas saved Spielberg or threw him a bone with Raiders. Personally, I think the writer is looking for things that just aren't there.

Figrin D'an
Jun 16th, 2005, 08:03:41 PM
Originally posted by Jedieb
Wow, so in 3 weeks ROTS took in $400M?! Who the hell wrote that? They can't even make the excuse that they were counting international numbers because after 3 weeks the international and domestic numbers were around $600M. Nice going! I also think the writer put more into the rivalry than was actually there. For one thing, he mentions Jaws and Close Encounters going over budget as proof of Spielberg's struggles. So what, they were both smashes with Jaws being the #1 film of all time at its release and the first film to top $100M. Even though ANH severely outgrossed CEof3rdK, it was still a B.O. smash. He makes it seem like Lucas saved Spielberg or threw him a bone with Raiders. Personally, I think the writer is looking for things that just aren't there.

I more or less agree. Yeah, Spielberg and Lucas have a rivalry, but it's a friendly one. I'm sure they both would get a chuckle out of what that article has to say about them.

Mu Satach
Jun 20th, 2005, 01:10:44 PM
I think their "rivalry" if anything brings out the best in both of them.