PDA

View Full Version : Academy Award Possibilities

Rutabaga
Jun 5th, 2005, 06:53:07 PM
In the fantasy world I spend so much of my time in :), both Ewan McGregor and Ian McDiarmid would get Academy consideration, because they were the heart and soul of ROTS. Opposite sides, of course, but the 2 moral compasses that Anakin was torn between.

Those nominations will never happen, though, I'm realistic enough to know that. So that leaves the technical awards...which ones will ROTS be nominated for?

Visual effects, of course...if ROTS doesn't win, I'll eat not only my own hat, but every hat belonging to everyone who posts here. ILM succeeded in creating not only alien worlds, but alien creatures as well...I mean, c'mon, Yoda and Grievous are entirely computer-generated, as are the majority of the clonetroopers as well. I can't see any other movie making as much of a visual impact this year as ROTS does...I may change my mind after seeing, say, War of the Worlds, but I seriously doubt it.

Sound and sound editing...gosh, I hope so. I especially liked the new sound effect for the weapons used by Grievous's bodyguards. Those were wild. Grievous's wheelie bike and the Boga were awesome too.

Costume design...while I think Trisha Biggar's costumes here weren't quite as spectacular as the ones for TPM and AOTC, the woman deserves an Oscar for her entire contribution to the prequel trilogy. She's been robbed before, don't let it happen again.

Hm...what else?

Jedieb
Jun 5th, 2005, 07:19:57 PM
I'm not sure where else we can expect nominations, but I think we can finally expect to get a couple of WINS this time around.

JMK
Jun 5th, 2005, 07:56:14 PM
I guess anything technical; sound, sound editing, visual effects, costumes maybe. If RotS doesn't win for at least a couple of these categories there ought to be an investigation.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 5th, 2005, 09:28:28 PM
Makeup maybe outside that I don't see anything else coming. The only long shot is McDiarmid but I don't even see that happening.

CMJ
Jun 5th, 2005, 10:01:28 PM
We talked about this on Academy board I frequent acouple weeks back. The consensus on noms seemed to be....

Locks
Visual Effects
Sound
Sound Editing

Possible
Costume Design
Supporting Actor for McDiarmid
Editing
Art/Set Design

Impossible
Everything else

McDiarmid is not a total impssibility. As several folks noted on the Oscar board; the Academy throws "Geek films" a bone in the Supporting roles occassionally. And he got mostly great reviews(AND he's a respected stage actor).

Yog
Jun 6th, 2005, 04:46:43 AM
I mostly agree with the Academy board consensus there. A bit surprising that makeup, music score and cinematography are concidered in the realm of 'impossible' though. I would say a nomination in one of those categories is very possible.

JMK
Jun 6th, 2005, 06:52:28 AM
Yes, how could we forget musical score? Shame on us for forgetting John Williams! I'd say McDiarmid's nomination is a long shot at best.

I wonder though, will the academy back off its 'anti-Lucas' stance for one year and throw him a bone in the same way they threw Peter Jackson 13 bones (well deserved bones). The academy seemed to save everything for after the LotR saga came to a close. I wonder if Lucas will be honored in a similar fashion, though not nearly in the same magnitude.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 6th, 2005, 07:27:00 AM
I would say Makeup is a possible, as for Williams, the academy might consider the score unoriginal since they reuse much of the music from the previous films. I know they have pentalized some movies for this.

CMJ
Jun 6th, 2005, 09:37:08 AM
Williams is always nominated, but he's considered far more likely to grab a nom for Vengeance at this point. I think he's also doing the score for Memoirs of a Geisha but I'm not 100% certain on that . If so, that 's another Oscarbait movie.

Cinematography? The entire thing was shot on blue screen. ;) I can say with absolute certainty the Cinematographers will not nominate it. I'm not sure the reasoning of leaving Make-up off the list, I'd have to go re-check.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 6th, 2005, 11:33:14 AM
I know the Make-up was very good with the Emperor and Anakin, I don't think any of that was CGI.

Rutabaga
Jun 6th, 2005, 07:43:08 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Master Carr
I would say Makeup is a possible, as for Williams, the academy might consider the score unoriginal since they reuse much of the music from the previous films. I know they have pentalized some movies for this.

I don't see the score winning, and I'm not sure about a nom...like Carr said, there was a lot of recycled music. Which is something that irritated me a little bit. I like the score and have been playing the CD in my car, but I don't think it's one of Williams's best. (Please don't hurt me for saying that :cool.)

I also forgot yesterday to speculate about the MTV Movie Awards next year too. Those things are a total farce, but they're still kind of fun sometimes...I can see ROTS getting lots of nods for things like Best Fight, Best Action Sequence, and Best Villain.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 6th, 2005, 08:12:45 PM
Yeah like Napoleon Dynamite winning this year that says a lot about the MTV movie awards.

MercZ
Jun 16th, 2005, 11:09:44 PM
Anything that's a stoner movie is guarenteed to get something on MTV.

Anyways, EP III will probably get something in the visual, sound, or props department. There will be some movies that will probably have much better acting than RoTS. Hopefully it'll win something though, it's GCI was very well done.