PDA

View Full Version : Something that disappointed me.

Doc Milo
Jun 4th, 2005, 09:11:58 PM
I have posted multiple times about the mirrors between the old and new trilogies, and one of the biggest I noted was how the endings mirrored each other. TPM -- Celebration Ceremony, ANH -- Medal Ceremony; AOTC -- Anakin/Padme/R2/3PO looking out over the Naboo Sea, ESB -- Luke/Leia/R2/3PO looking out over a sea of stars. Then came ROTS, and there isn't a mirror ending to ROTJ. This kind of disappointed me. ROTJ ends with Luke looking looking to the distance and seeing the spirits of Anakin, Obi-Wan, and Yoda. ROTS ends with Owen and Beru holding baby Luke looking out at the setting twin suns of Tatooine.

I kind of hoped that we would see Qui-Gon's ghost in the last scene to mirror the RotJ ending. For example, after giving Luke to Owen and Beru Obi-Wan would turn away and look to the horizon, where he'd see the spirit of a sad-looking Qui-Gon Jinn waiting for him.

This would solve two of my major disappointments with RotS (major, as in the only two things that actually disappointed me, for overall, I couldn't be happier with the film) : No Qui-Gon's ghost; no mirror ending to RotJ

JMK
Jun 5th, 2005, 09:45:44 AM
That would have been nice, it would have been a nice symmetrical ending to the saga, but it doesn't really bother me as much as it bothers you. Hey, it leaves room for improvement with any future releases. Did Liam Neeson film any scenes for RotS or was that just an unsubstantiated rumor?

Morgan Evanar
Jun 5th, 2005, 09:59:09 AM
Wow, I thought the way ROTS ended worked better than the way the first two ended. Parrellism was interesting, but it certainly wouldn't have worked for this one.

Rutabaga
Jun 5th, 2005, 11:42:36 AM
I noticed the parallel endings as well, so I was wondering just how ROTS might end to parallel ROTJ. Technically, if you stretch your imagination :), they did parallel in a way. The final frame we see in ROTJ is everyone reunited around the fire in the Ewok village, smiling and happy and having a good time...the final image in ROTS is Owen and Beru holding baby Luke in front of a source of light, the twin suns, and looking happy and hopeful. Yeah, like I said, it's a stretch, but still.... :cool

Anyways, I too loved the final image in ROTS. I literally let out a gasp during my first viewing when I realized what we were seeing, Owen standing in the exact same spot looking at the setting suns just like Luke does in perhaps one of the most famous moments in ANH, with the same musical cue and everything. It was brilliant, and an extremely hopeful image to end on after having so much pain and suffering in the final minutes of the movie.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 5th, 2005, 12:44:56 PM
About Qui-Gon, I have read reports that Neeson did record dialog and it would fit with the novel where he talks to Yoda, I have read he talked to Obi-Wan in the screenplay but this might just be rumor. I suspect if it is true it will end up on the DVD .

Sanis Prent
Jun 6th, 2005, 10:23:43 PM
RotS did end like RotJ, in that both had the same kind of multi-locational transition montage.

RotJ = celebration on the Sanctuary Moon, Naboo, Tattooine, Bespin, Coruscant

RotS = transition scenes at the Death Star, Alderaan, Tattoine

JMK
Jun 7th, 2005, 08:38:58 AM
Good point.